Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,672 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 hours ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 314 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17137452019287598807293974414584 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    DSC_0051 (resized).JPG
    DSC_0050 (resized).JPG
    fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

Anheuser Busch beer cap nut on flipper button with custom switch and wiring, just replaced this one tonight, perfect timing for this post

was that on a nascar pinball?

2 months later
    #131 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Volano_Wood_Screws!.JPGVolano_Wood_Screws!.JPGCame across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

#132 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Came across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

site messed up. double post

#133 11 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Came across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

site messed up. triple post

1 year later
    #273 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Hand carved pine flipper bat and wooden dowel for a shaft. Why stop there? A blue rubberband to complete the ensemble.

2014-03-26 17.52.50.jpg 232 KB

mike,
    which machine is that on that we have to play at next weekend's event?

1 year later
    #776 7 years ago

but now you have extra ventilation for that airborne ranger. that's one step below a LE!

#782 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

"Oh look, a firestarter!"

1 year later
    #1393 6 years ago

bonus points if the key is cut so that it can open the backbox
    it would be a key you would never accidentally lose

#1399 6 years ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

And this... Pales in comparison to the power board or even the phantom breadboard hack, but still was an eye roll moment.

maybe that's one of those [forever] bulbs that I heard that the post office is selling. guaranteed to never burn out and he wasn't going to take any chances with the socket ever oxidizing!

2 months later
    #1563 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

I thought about it, but did you see the rest of the board? Ha, seemed like the appropriate fix level. Function over form on this one. But like I said, I don't do much board work, I'll take it under advisement if that's best practice.
    The other thing I was wondering about is the connector. Would IDC be frowned upon for GI? I kind of wish I had one, as crimping each pin was the only thing that made it "all that work", otherwise this would have been fast and easy. I also wondered if I should solder after crimping. This stripper supposedly crimps, but I found it way too fidily and found I could do a nicer job manually. Does this thing actually work for crimping? I need a proper crimper.

here's a link to what I would consider is the best molex crimping tool that money can buy
    http://www.techtoolsupply.com/Sargent-Tools-Open-Barrel-Contact-Crimp-Tool-30-16-p/ros-1026ct.htm

unlike the klein ratcheting crimper, the barrel on this one is nice and narrow, allowing you to see exactly where you are crimping. yes, you will need to crimp twice (once for the wire and a 2nd time for the strain relief), but it's a trade-off that I'm willing to take for excellent crimps, every single time

1 week later
    #1570 6 years ago

wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed. if you're going to give a 'thumbs down' be man enough as to a reason why (especially, my reply was providing an answer to a question

and if it's because that person's question was considered off topic, then pardon me mr. debbie downer

Worst hack_repair you ever saw. _ Pinside Forum votes (resized).jpgWorst hack_repair you ever saw. _ Pinside Forum votes (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #1678 6 years ago

is that the extra, extra, extra slow blow variety?

2 weeks later
    #1697 6 years ago

nice job Robotworkshop

that's how clay does a lot of his repairs where the traces are trashed

6 months later
    #1888 5 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

New star wars button keeps falling out in the wild. They just put a bandaid on it!
    [quoted image]

what cheap-asses. they could have at least used the proper band-aids
    star wars band-aids (resized).jpgstar wars band-aids (resized).jpg

4 months later
    #1995 5 years ago

agreed, however I will give points for using that nylon zip tie to the wiring harness to stand it off away from the board and eliminate the potential for grounding out

5 months later
    #2126 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

How about this nice FirePower 2 Spotted for sale on Craigslist... allentown.craigslist.org link[quoted image]

are you sure that it wasn't listed as "was on [fire]power 2"?

#2138 4 years ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

I guess loctite was not part of ones vocabulary.

how would loctite solve a broken bracket problem? does the loctite sold where you live have different, makical properties than the product available here in the states?

2 months later
    #2318 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

People think pliers = crimpers.

can't you just use hot glue?

#2322 4 years ago

impressive

2 months later
    #2422 4 years ago

I think that he should have added some lightning flippers to close that gap up a little more

#2436 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sputnik:

I wonder what comes up when you scan the barcode ?

the human readable number is underneath. it's just a code 39 barcode, nothing special

#2471 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

At least there's no artwork in that spot. It could be filled and painted without being too obvious.

exactly this. they should have drilled the hole out larger, filled it with a section of dowel rod, sanded it flush, repainted the black and then drilled a new [centered] hole to fix it correctly

yes, it would have taken a bit longer but the results would have been 10x better

#2491 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandyW:

More fun facts.
    It is prevalent in Canada, where it was invented. It is also dang near the perfect screw head, as it does not strip, when you use a Robertson screwdriver with it.

I don't know about that. I had a stainless version of those for my deck. they were a pain in the @ss to remove when I re-did the deck. I replaced them with star headed screws, which do not strip.

#2526 4 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Just wait till you find out about all those JIS screws you thought were Phillips. There’s a reason the screws in your Japanese made stuff seem to strip so easy.

I completely forgot about these until you mentioned them (haven't had the need since I restored my honda SL70 a few years ago). I just purchased 2 nice vessel megadora sets this morning

2 weeks later
    #2537 4 years ago

just an easy means to identify one of the keys in particular? (since they all look to be the same brand

7 months later
    #2830 3 years ago

so... that's how daisy dukes are made

1 year later
    #3599 1 year ago

70+ pages of this thread makes me wonder why we haven't seen a building construction based game where you wouldn't be able to tell what was intentionally put in the game by the designer and what was an aftermarket, on route hack

this is an opportunity just waiting to be exploited

#3625 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

When our Radio Shacks were on the way out I bought every little last baggie full they had. Still using them.

I wish ours had more. most of the useful items were gone and the other half was still too overpriced

1 week later
    #3658 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Custom battery holder for cyclone. Pill bottle, soldered batteries. Creativity
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

bonus points for trying to create an "anti-leak" mod for the batteries?

3 weeks later
    #3801 1 year ago
    Quoted from semicolin:

My back would kill for that applicator, but all of my bosses were always too damn cheap to buy one. Glad I got out of stage work and into being an electrician. Same amount of bending over, but for four times the pay.

you get a thumbs up for your comment and your avatar. I wonder how many people are familiar with the 'happy tree friends'?

3 months later
    #3942 1 year ago

and hot glue and zip ties

3 weeks later
    #3971 1 year ago

An extra heatsink!
    [quoted image]

does this make it super cooled?

2 weeks later
    #4017 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

ChrisHibler posted this on facebook[quoted image]

is that the 'emperor's chair of yellow snakes'?

1 week later
    #4023 1 year ago

I think on the xenon, that was a mod that was intentionally made to reduce play time.

if your ball is rolling fast, it will probably bounce off of the screw and continue rolling (in some random direction). however, if it's a slow roller, you're going to half to tilt your way out of that predicament. in either case, the operator is going to his money quicker.

those are the type of games that we intentionally seek out for dollar matches because it screws with everyone equally (but we don't play them more than once

2 months later
    #4163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ceckitti:

Can’t say I have ever seen this hack before.

what hack?

1 month later
    #4180 10 months ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Whirlpool ramp is out of order
    [quoted image]

maybe this was the precursor to the GotG rocket kick back (done at a lower cost)

1 month later
    #4261 9 months ago

I like the random pop rivet placement

1 week later
    #4267 9 months ago

did you ever stop to think that maybe the previous owner had a pet mouse that really, really liked the addam's family, so he gave his little guy a home and a way to enjoy it more? there was probably a ramp or steps set up on the outside so that he could make his way into his new, spacious home

1 week later
    #4302 8 months ago
    Quoted from alf_1968:

Williams Stellar Wars
    "DOWNLOAD" instead "DOWN ADD""
    [quoted image]
    From a guy called himself "expert making overlays" XD

did you get that from mirco?

#4306 8 months ago
    Quoted from andylama:

Holy crap, I think you're right!
    Original artist ran out of Letraset "D"s?
    Man, that is so trashy, LOL

or he inadvertently placed letraset letter upside down and no one noticed or has noticed all this time (until tjw998 just did

1 month later
    #4407 7 months ago

Professional playfield eightball deluxe swap. Glued braid for lamps and gottlieb flippers!!

because staples are so 18th century and overrated?

2 weeks later
    #4456 6 months ago

Noticed the game worked with fuseholder missing. Figured out what.
    [quoted image]

that's a "forever good" fuse

3 months later
    #4524 3 months ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Holy cow, I've never seen a 25 A fuse. Lucky the whole house didn't burn down.

sure you have. it's also known by its more common name, the 10 penny nail

2 weeks later
    #4545 3 months ago

Time for some freeplay. Grab the chisel and saw. Feet were in socks on the floor which was a first.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

obviously! why would you want to mess up the new carpeting with crusty legs when you can protect them with 2 pairs of socks (because heaven forbid you actually clean the legs and add new levelers to them.

1 week later
    #4553 89 days ago
    Quoted from statictrance:

Is this the worst? Nah. Is it maybe the laziest or saddest? It's up there.
    [quoted image]

are those the new, quick disconnects that I've been hearing about?

2 months later
    #4658 28 days ago
    Quoted from frunch:

Nice work! What kind of dye did you use?

when using RIT dye, I found that I had to add a small amount of acetone to the boiling water solution to get the dye to [soak] into the plastic (at least for items like ball eject saucers or star posts). and when dying transparent plastics, you'll want to try and dye everything at the same time so that they dye evenly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.