Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,665 posts
  • 733 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by mojonitro
  • Topic is favorited by 313 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fish hook clip (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_4354 (resized).jpeg
    f6424bb5-0448-49b4-9161-208603eb2e12_92 (resized).jpg
    Flipper  (resized).jpeg
    Finished  (resized).jpeg
    New drops  (resized).jpeg
    Sharp (resized).jpeg
    20240330_092957.jpg
    20240330_102141.jpg
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240321_181347 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240321_180554 (resized).jpg
    68714440943__356B9A98-CA54-4C2A-A85D-8E5C24E9F1AA (resized).jpeg
    68714440123__30A6C9F0-7A87-4D13-882F-CC6C530664AA (resized).jpeg
    362393458_1478280539605169_7357000172916421133_n (resized).jpg
    There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 94.
    #51 11 years ago

Sticky request/ what to look for in a crappy pin

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from alchy999:

Went to look at as FT was told on phone by buyer the PF was in mint condition. This is a picture of the actual machine when I got there.

Maybe he meant that it was in "chocolate mint" condition.

#53 11 years ago

Hacked up Twilight Zone coin door from M&P Amusements.

Here is the inside of that door.

front.jpgfront.jpg

#54 11 years ago

I saw drywall screws holding a flipper leaf switch to the cabinet once. Drywall screws have no place in a pinball machine. Some people just have no business making repairs.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from TopJimmyCooks:

Barakandl - was that stern MPU the one you got from me? For the record I did not do any work on it!

Possibly! I do not remember.

#56 11 years ago

I need to be better about taking pictures of hacks I come across. A few have slipped by me with no photos.

DSCN0846_(Custom).JPGDSCN0846_(Custom).JPG

#57 11 years ago

Here is the inside of that door.

Yep, those same guys molested the TAF I picked up.
    I always wondered where in the hell that door came from..... Someone should be seriously beaten silly for cutting up good cabinets for those doors.

inside_the_vault.JPGinside_the_vault.JPG

#58 11 years ago

That pesky gate on POTC won't break off anymore!
    cheap and effective
    just need a sharpie to draw a pirate's skull on it
    and [insert name] can sell this mod for $79.99 shipped

IMG_1069.jpgIMG_1069.jpg

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from ollagynot:

I saw drywall screws holding a flipper leaf switch to the cabinetq once. Drywall screws have no place in a pinball machine. Some people just have no business making repairs.

I disagree with your statement;

I worked for a route op from August '79 to June '85. Pinball was big for a good portion of that time. When a service tech had a call, the rule was to get the game up and running bringing in quartrrs. We all carried drywall screws, nuts & bolts, drills and taps etc. We would bypass burnt connectors soldering jumpers to the rectifier board test points splicing into the wiring near the burnt connectors. Heck, Bernie Powers of Bally Field Service mentioned how a jumper to a test point or ground will keep a game earning if you did not have connectors and terminal pins. with you.

Remember, these machines were designed and developed to make money for operators. Tournament play, home collectors and long term durability for a home collector were not high on the priority list.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I disagree with your statement;
    I worked for a route op from August '79 to June '85. Pinball was big for a good portion of that time. When a service tech had a call, the rule was to get the game up and running bringing in quartrrs. We all carried drywall screws, nuts & bolts, drills and taps etc. We would bypass burnt connectors soldering jumpers to the rectifier board test points splicing into the wiring near the burnt connectors. Heck, Bernie Powers of Bally Field Service mentioned how a jumper to a test point or ground will keep a game earning if you did not have connectors and terminal pins. with you.
    Remember, these machines were designed and developed to make money for operators. Tournament play, home collectors and long term durability for a home collector were not high on the priority list.

just curious... how many times did you have to go out on route and fix another techs repair?

#61 11 years ago

The idea of a field repair is to return the next time you collect with the right parts, and fix it right... now, how often that really happened...

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinwillie:

just curious... how many times did you have to go out on route and fix another techs repair?

Hardly ever ( less than 5% of calls ) our "improvising" was meant to last.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

The idea of a field repair is to return the next time you collect with the right parts, and fix it right... now, how often that really happened...

We had separate collectors. They did not perform repairs other than clearing coin jams. When parts were ordered, the tech responsible for a geographic area installed those parts such as a flipper base plate. I usually worked nights covering all parts of the Detroit area from Ann Arbor to Flint to Mt. Clemens to Monroe. Back then about 20% of our locations were in the City of Detroit. Bypassed burnt connectors were not considered for follow-up repairs.

Post edited by MrBally : classified.

#64 11 years ago

"Classified"? : P

#65 11 years ago

This is a friend's machine. I didn't know him at the time but got to know him well after he had to bring the machine over to my place to get it working. Sold by a guy in Victoria - Australia who imports containers of machines. The buyer was told the machine was all good and had just had $935 spent on it sorting everything out. It took me many many hours getting the machine working reliably.

Both flippers were the same and yes that is a wire being held in place by a nail. You'd think for $935 in repairs they would have at least used new nails wouldn't you.

IMG_4833.JPGIMG_4833.JPG IMG_4840.JPGIMG_4840.JPG

#66 11 years ago

Funny thing is, keys are more common than you might think.

IMG_2550.jpgIMG_2550.jpg

#67 11 years ago

I bet its not as bad as this pro soldering job! Connectors cost 50c...

Connector_Bodge.JPGConnector_Bodge.JPG

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from alchy999:

Connectors cost 50c...

So did the solder. And it didn't require a 20$ punchdown tool or a 60$ crimper.

#69 11 years ago

Ok, I will play...check the first pic first and see if you notice something that is not suppose to be there. The second pic will give it away.

DSC03696.JPGDSC03696.JPG DSC03697.JPGDSC03697.JPG

#70 11 years ago

Very festive, jw...

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from jwwhite15:

Ok, I will play...check the first pic first and see if you notice something that is not suppose to be there. The second pic will give it away.

That's awesome.

#72 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

That's awesome.

what the hell is that thing? OH it's Christmas lighting box! ahhh good one!

#73 11 years ago

Haha, I totally modded my kid's Zizzle machine with Christmas LED lights for GI. They worked awesome!

#74 11 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

Very festive, jw...

Quoted from Astropin:

That's awesome.

Quoted from castlesteve:

what the hell is that thing? OH it's Christmas lighting box! ahhh good one!

I thought the idea was pretty good...better than fixing the problem I guess. The string of lights were in a "dead in the water" Gorgar. Typical Williams System"?" problems. I guess they played it till it wouldn't play anymore...innovative really.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from beepnutz:

Anheuser Busch beer cap nut on flipper button with custom switch and wiring, just replaced this one tonight, perfect timing for this post

was that on a nascar pinball?

#76 11 years ago

Found this on a pin of mine...

20121012_194652.jpg20121012_194652.jpg

#77 11 years ago

while that could be a little cleaner, that's not really a hack as long as the resistance combined is about right. The wattage looks to be ok

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

while that could be a little cleaner, that's not really a hack as long as the resistance combined is about right. The wattage looks to be ok

Well, its missing 2 resistors (should have 4 total) and the Ohm and Watts on the single one is wayyy off..

#79 11 years ago

Custom VUK mod. Yes that is a med pt pen shaft

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#81 11 years ago

That's awesome. I love this thread so much

#82 11 years ago

I found this in my working SM$M (AS2877 trans board)

#83 11 years ago

Sorry went to fast, Pics attached

#84 11 years ago

Sorry went to fast, Pics attached

DSC04128.JPGDSC04128.JPG DSC04129.JPGDSC04129.JPG

#85 11 years ago

Double post. Oops

#86 11 years ago

Here is another one.

I get not being able to desolder and reusing the leads on the old component but come on. You couldnt cut the lead shorter.

20121109_175328.jpg20121109_175328.jpg

#87 11 years ago

Found this little beauty in the chime unit in a Wiliiams Super Star I started working on.

Works pretty well, actually...

IMG_0301.JPGIMG_0301.JPG

1 month later
    #88 11 years ago

Came across this one today.

DSC_8812_(Custom).JPGDSC_8812_(Custom).JPG DSC_8813_(Custom).JPGDSC_8813_(Custom).JPG

#89 11 years ago

is the battery soldered in??

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from mystic:

is the battery soldered in??

Yes. Beautiful, isn't it?

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwiz:

Hacked up Twilight Zone coin door from M&P Amusements.

Could I still route this?

#92 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

You win. That is amazing.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Perhaps they had a problem with battery theft.......

#94 11 years ago

Hack... enough said.

george-clooney-1.jpeggeorge-clooney-1.jpeg

#95 11 years ago

Having imported 100 used pins from Europe, I've seen some dodgy stuff!!

But this one is from a local machine I purchased yesterday.

J115 on the main board had burnt ... Instead of just sticking on a new molex for $1 they had gone to a heap of trouble to rig up some 2.5mm power cable and some huge connectors and soldered it all to the board. Then taped the burnt GI molex to their handiwork.

When I pulled it apart, the molex just disintegrated into 20 pieces. It was hot too, a fire hazard probably.

I'm currently doing the job properly.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#96 11 years ago

Sorry, No pics.

Atari Jim shared with me a neat hack a while back.
    For the batteries, they took a flashlight, burned a hole at back end with a lighter, and duck
    taped wires to the flashlight and then to board.

Of course, the ever popular backbox light hack......a strand of Christmas lights!

I also had a game with stripped leg bolts, a cut 2 x 4 was inside and long nails to hold the legs.

Lastly were hacks on old 1930's pins.
    Plenty of years to screw this up.

Dried bubble gum, as a ball stop. Cut beer cans in strips as ball springs, marbles, and a never ending assortment of coin boxes.

#97 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Yes. Beautiful, isn't it?

If he did it with all three he could say he was preventing future board corrosion!

#98 11 years ago

Mine is paltry compared to many of these others, but I have one with yards of speaker wire installed.

board.jpgboard.jpg

#100 11 years ago

Came across this on eBay, not really a hack or repair but a WTF were they thinking??!!

Volano_Wood_Screws!.JPGVolano_Wood_Screws!.JPG

There are 4,665 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 94.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-hackrepair-you-ever-saw/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.