Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 255 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 hours ago by GCS2000
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20240423_181436 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240423_181452 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240419_144228804~2 (resized).jpg
    Woz (resized).png
    PXL_20240414_204733423 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 10.23.44?AM (resized).png
    IMG_0426 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0427 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20240410_005028457 (resized).jpg
    pinlights-pro-classic-rails-gb (resized).png
    pinlights-pro-classic-rails (resized).png
    PXL_20240408_161332605 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240408_161310836 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_185453072 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240331_185524133 (resized).jpg
    There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 36 days ago

Just got a picture from a customer who installed their Pinlights on a Godzilla! They will be streaming it tomorrow at 8PM and their streams are always a blast!

Thank you for sharing, Arcade !

https://www.twitch.tv/thepinballmafia

IMG_5709.jpg(1) (resized).jpegIMG_5709.jpg(1) (resized).jpeg
    #102 36 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

Just got a picture from a customer who installed their Pinlights on a Godzilla! They will be streaming it tomorrow at 8PM and their streams are always a blast!
    Thank you for sharing, Arcade !
    https://www.twitch.tv/thepinballmafia
    [quoted image]

Yikes. No offense but that is way too bright and messes up how GZ looks. Again just my opinion.

#103 36 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Yikes. No offense but that is way too bright and messes up how GZ looks. Again just my opinion.

That's why we have sliders in the app, you can set it to the brightness you want. If you're streaming a game, you really have to crank it. For this particular shot though, I agree, it's way too cranked. I keep my games around 30-40% brightness.

#104 36 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

That's why we have sliders in the app, you can set it to the brightness you want. If you're streaming a game, you really have to crank it. For this particular shot though, I agree, it's way too cranked. I keep my games around 30-40% brightness.

Agreed that’s why my other brand lights are set far lower than most people. The way we use them is to add additional lighting to brighten things up just a little not to add floodlighting as so many call it.

It used right I think every game benefits from lighting like this.

#105 36 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Agreed that’s why my other brand lights are set far lower than most people. The way we use them is to add additional lighting to brighten things up just a little not to add floodlighting as so many call it.
    It used right I think every game benefits from lighting like this.

Couldn't agree more. Not going to lie, I almost blinded myself when having some of these on a test fixture. When designing the firmware/hardware, I actually had to mess with some of the PWM timing to make sure that there were granular enough fade adjustments at lower brightnesses just because the particular type of LEDs we use (and LEDs in general) ramp up in brightness so darn fast.

Though, hey, if you want to look at the surface of the sun, more power to you!

I'm a bit concerned about the "rainbow puke" that can (and will) occur when we release the pro models.

I'm working on board layouts for those now and should be prototyping here shortly, I can't wait to show you!

#106 36 days ago

Once I get my set I’ll be happy to post a pic of some real man lighting not this blinded by the light silliness

All jokes aside if super bright is what people want more power to them. If you want dark and dreary as in no extra lighting go for it. I have nothing against either camp. As I have gotten older and exclusively play in a room with the lights off I much prefer the additional lighting the the PS provide. I can openly admit I was a huge hater for a long time but I have come to realize that they are important to us and thus we use them. Glad to have an alternative that doesn’t break the bank.

I get the feeling that the Pro version will be more like my neos and what I will want. I have yet to add lights to my GZ because the GI does so much changing in that game that always on PS lights would ruin it. Hope your pros give us what we want/need.

Thx

#107 35 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

The way we use them is to add additional lighting to brighten things up just a little not to add floodlighting as so many call it.

This is the reason I've gone mostly back to strategically adding spotlights on my games vs stadium style lights, it allows you to maintain the atmosphere of the game a lot better. For example on my IMDN the spots do an amazing job of "lighting the stage". Totally depends on the game though, not all benefit as much and those do well with the stadium lights.

Quoted from pinlights:

I'm a bit concerned about the "rainbow puke" that can (and will) occur when we release the pro models.

Agreed, so easy to color-wash the whole playfield. However, I will say that when I added a slight blue-tint to my DIY lights on MET it was a life-changing experience how it made the PF art pop. So yeah, totally game dependent.

#108 35 days ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

This is the reason I've gone mostly back to strategically adding spotlights

Yep, did it on T2, my Demo Man and ToM. Really really helped out the lighting and allowed me to better control the ambiance. The Comet matrix lighting products are great.

If you want longer style strip lighting with the ability to add color tint without a ton of features, the good news is my competitor has a product for it that works well, so everyone's taken care of.

Pro PCB prototypes have been ordered!

#109 32 days ago

pinlights so you may have covered this but is there a 50/50 chance I’ll have to fix/solder my new gi module when I receive the lights? And also do they go out of whack and I need to reconfigure them every time the power goes out? THX

#110 32 days ago
    Quoted from ArcadeBar:

pinlights so you may have covered this but is there a 50/50 chance I’ll have to fix/solder my new gi module when I receive the lights? And also do they go out of whack and I need to reconfigure them every time the power goes out? THX

No and no! We use a good quality flexible stranded wire on all cable harnesses and we also use elongated solder pads on the end of the light bar so the connections get a good "bite". If something fails, let me know and we'll make it right.

All of our cable harnesses also connect to the control board using bog standard 3.96mm Molex connections. The lights also disconnect about 11 inches past the light bar using an in-line JST connector with a locking clasp, so you never have to remove the guts to work on something.

I know what you mean all too well with the "factory reset" RGB light show. Since we use custom hardware that is specifically designed for this, we have a dedicated "NUKE" button which is the only way you can reset your lights. So power cycle all you want!

Also, even if your lights get reset, they reset to a standard operating configuration. In other words, about 50% brightness and everything still "just works". Heck, we've had customers that never even had to install the app.

#111 32 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

No and no! We use a good quality flexible stranded wire on all cable harnesses and we also use elongated solder pads on the end of the light bar so the connections get a good "bite". If something fails, let me know and we'll make it right.
    All of our cable harnesses also connect to the control board using bog standard 3.96mm Molex connections. The lights also disconnect about 11 inches past the light bar using an in-line JST connector with a locking clasp, so you never have to remove the guts to work on something.
    I know what you mean all too well with the "factory reset" RGB light show. Since we use custom hardware that is specifically designed for this, we have a dedicated "NUKE" button which is the only way you can reset your lights. So power cycle all you want!
    Also, even if your lights get reset, they reset to a standard operating configuration. In other words, about 50% brightness and everything still "just works". Heck, we've had customers that never even had to install the app.

Thanks for your quick reply - that all sounds like awesome sauce!

#112 32 days ago

My set arrived today thank you and it will be installed tomorrow

#113 30 days ago

pinlights My sets arrived today, thanks for the fast shipping. Install was really straightforward and simple. I want to say that the customer service you receive is above and beyond. This product fills a need for dark games or games you want more lighting effects in for a reasonable/competitive price. If you want something to brighten up your playfield and have flash interaction, this product is for you. I will say that the low profile metal mounts are a game changer and a must have item no matter which brand of lighting you go with. I have both brands of lights and use the metal mounts for both because I didn’t want to apply the magnet strip adhesive to my games art blades. If you are on the fence on these lights, I would recommend jumping in, you won’t be disappointed. I am also waiting on the next version that integrates more light and flasher options. Here are my unfiltered pictures of my CSI with and without the Pinlights.

FullSizeRender (resized).jpegFullSizeRender (resized).jpegIMG_8589 (resized).jpegIMG_8589 (resized).jpeg

#114 30 days ago

If you purchase this set now, are you out of luck for upgrade with more color options?

#115 30 days ago
    Quoted from JorgesArcade:

If you purchase this set now, are you out of luck for upgrade with more color options?

I believe that's a Pro version that they are going to release in the near future.

#116 30 days ago

A+ on making the lights unplug from the harness instead of just leaving them in the playfield or dangling over the cabinet.

I have the other brand on my Stargate, though they look great, for the price, I'm fairly non-plussed. You set out to solve the quality of life problems which resonates to this user!

#117 30 days ago

I got my low profile mounts a couple days ago. I would have bought the full kit from Pinlights, but I had already bought (but not yet installed) a set of "the competition" a few days before the Pinlights announcement with the big TPF discount (which was still outrageously expensive). I opted to use the low profile mount instead of the magnetic strips that the others came with. Installation of these was very simple on my Fish Tales, and the light strips cling to the metal just as well as they do to the magnetic strips. It's a little tricky to get the metal mounts under the glass channel, but once you get it started the rest of the strip just slides under there. I had no need to use the provided adhesive... they are a very nice snug friction fit. The beauty of these is that there is no "stripe" between the bottom of the glass channel and the top of the magnetic strip. With the others, I've ALWAYS ended up with a little bit of visible mirror blade or art blade between the bottom of the glass and the strip... with these that is totally eliminated.

I highly recommend these low profile metal mounts, whether to be used with Pinlights or another brand of light kit.

#118 30 days ago

Good morning all!

We're still catching up on the backlog and should be completely caught up on orders after this weekend. Pretty soon these will also be available at Titan Pinball.

Many thanks to parsonsaj and rx2006je for being such early adopters and having great feedback. With their help, we identified and fixed a host of issues that come with shipping a new product. We're also looking at integration with Comet's Matrix lighting adapter system so you can have a secure plug-and-play option for integration compared to wire taps and alligator clips.

We're hard at work on the "pro" versions which also incorporate a sleek low profile mount which is super lightweight, aluminum and powder coated so that it looks factory installed. Those metal parts are being fabbed right now and I should have the first batch of prototype "pro" boards on Monday. Provided everything works out there, I'll be working on software updates to support the new functions in the mobile app, then we launch!

#119 30 days ago

Had a customer just install a set on their beautiful Metallica. Thankfully I captured some before and after shots!

pl-classic-metallica (resized).pngpl-classic-metallica (resized).png

#120 30 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

Had a customer just install a set on their beautiful Metallica. Thankfully I captured some before and after shots!
    [quoted image]

lol…. Your next move is to create 4 for sale ads with forums enabled, and then make sure at least one of those is on the front page of the forum 24/7.

#121 30 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

[quoted image]

Dam that Met looks awesome......

#122 30 days ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

lol…. Your next move is to create 4 for sale ads with forums enabled, and then make sure at least one of those is on the front page of the forum 24/7.

Funny you mention that. Last July/August when I was getting things ready, I emailed robin to ask how Pinside wanted us to do this. We wanted to follow the rules but also make sure Pinside got their fair cut. We were instructed that the "preferred" way was to create an announcement thread and just associate a link to a shop item (which we've done). He said it was better than cluttering up the classified ads space which is what you're seeing. He did say they hope to add promo features to shop items soon, but I hope its done in a way that isn't just as annoying, but still affords us the extra reach.

We're absolutely NOT going to have a 4-thread bumpfest that constantly spams the front page with meaningless blobs of text and glitter graphics. If it means 40% less sales as a result, that's a worthwhile cost of doing business "right" to me.

Quoted from DeathHimself:

Dam that Met looks awesome......

Couldn't agree more! That game always kicks my ass though. I didn't like it much when it came out, but man, I've come around in recent years. Those art blades really tie the room together.

#123 30 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

[quoted image]

Sorry but the image on the right is not bright enough I can't see anything can you turn it up in photoshop please?

Also that image on the left is perfect exactly as the designer intended you shouldn't change a thing.

Playing both sides of the argument its a conspiracy ya know.

#124 30 days ago

I have been reading this thread from day one and I have to say that your posts read like you are a real class act. Nobody should have any qualms about purchasing from you.

I wish you all the luck in the world with this and future products.

Regards,

Roger

#125 30 days ago

Need some tech help. Got my lights today and have them installed. Cannot get them connected in the app. Also should the lights be on even without the app connection as mine are not.

Board does have all 3 lights lit up on it.

#126 30 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Need some tech help. Got my lights today and have them installed. Cannot get them connected in the app. Also should the lights be on even without the app connection as mine are not.
    Board does have all 3 lights lit up on it.

Hey there! So we sent out a service bulletin to certain customers indicating a batch of cables from our fabricator where the molex wire contact wasn't crimped down all the way. The insulation was crimped so there wasn't a risk of the cable coming loose, just the connection being flaky. We sent out replacement harnesses to everyone, though everyone may not be affected. If you want, you can just punch down the two contacts in the white molex connector on the GI/flasher sensor cables. An email should've been sent with a tracking number either last night or earlier this morning.

I have a feeling those new cables will help your GI situation. If the GI is off, the light bars sync to it by default.

When you open the app and click "Add Game", are you not seeing the Pinlights Classic device show up? The phone should've prompted you for bluetooth permission so it could locate the device and switch it over to your wifi.

If you may have entered your wifi password incorrectly and it didn't connect, just hold the "NUKE" button down for 5 seconds and try adding the game again. That'll reset the board including the saved (possibly wrong) wifi password.

Hope this helps! If not, happy to walk it through by phone tomorrow.

-- Jimmy

#127 30 days ago

Needed both nuke button and toggle on the connector. Working now

It was also some user error with the app.

Now to fiddle with them.

FYI the Pinlights classics do not work for STTNG. They are too wide and hit the launch wireform on the right. Perhaps the narrower pros or the other brand neo ones would fit.

#128 29 days ago
    Quoted from rogerdodger:

I have been reading this thread from day one and I have to say that your posts read like you are a real class act. Nobody should have any qualms about purchasing from you.
    I wish you all the luck in the world with this and future products.
    Regards,
    Roger

Thank you so much for the kind words! We're definitely trying over here. Coming from designing really complex mods like the 86Pixels backboard displays to doing this is definitely a change. However, just like with those other mods, if people have issues, we'll own it, make it right, take our licks and move on. If not, feel free to scream here in the round and hold us accountable (so long as both sides are exhibiting a good-faith effort here).

Quoted from GCS2000:

Needed both nuke button and toggle on the connector. Working now
    It was also some user error with the app.
    Now to fiddle with them.
    FYI the Pinlights classics do not work for STTNG. They are too wide and hit the launch wireform on the right. Perhaps the narrower pros or the other brand neo ones would fit.

So it sounds like I need to work with you on some lower profile mount testing. I'll reach out when the time comes if you'd be willing. I'm glad you got your issue resolved. I will put a troubleshooting article on the website for reference so that hopefully it saves someone else some sweat

I'm also thinking about modifying the app/hardware to relay the wifi connection status over the Bluetooth link when you're setting things up in the app. At least that way we could give the user direct feedback if the wifi connection failed due to an invalid password. Originally my plan was just going to be to have the device revert back to bluetooth beacon mode if it couldn't link up to WiFi, but I didn't want peoples' lights resetting after going to a show or having other wifi issues. Hmmm, food for thought.

#129 29 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

Thank you so much for the kind words! We're definitely trying over here. Coming from designing really complex mods like the 86Pixels backboard displays to doing this is definitely a change. However, just like with those other mods, if people have issues, we'll own it, make it right, take our licks and move on. If not, feel free to scream here in the round and hold us accountable (so long as both sides are exhibiting a good-faith effort here).

So it sounds like I need to work with you on some lower profile mount testing. I'll reach out when the time comes if you'd be willing. I'm glad you got your issue resolved. I will put a troubleshooting article on the website for reference so that hopefully it saves someone else some sweat
    I'm also thinking about modifying the app/hardware to relay the wifi connection status over the Bluetooth link when you're setting things up in the app. At least that way we could give the user direct feedback if the wifi connection failed due to an invalid password. Originally my plan was just going to be to have the device revert back to bluetooth beacon mode if it couldn't link up to WiFi, but I didn't want peoples' lights resetting after going to a show or having other wifi issues. Hmmm, food for thought.

Yeah I can help with that. I need to probably pop a neo strip out of another game and see if that fits. There is very little room on that right side of STTNG due to that launcher wireform. I mean I have the classic strip in the game but it pops up a little due to the pressure of side wall and wireform pushing on it. It is solely from the width of the LED channels.

With respect to the app I think that would be a good change. I think what happened last night was exactly what you said it did not connect due the password and then I had no way of knowing that as just said no game found. The other issue I had (user issue) is that because you use a database for the game name I was not getting past that stage either. I was trying to name the game what I wanted like the other app allows. Meaning I was calling it STTNG and it wouldn't accept that as it wants to assign the game itself. Once I realized that and put in Star Trek it populated all the titles and I could pick my game - again user error.

Working with the lights/app I have noticed that they have a very purple hue to them (or seem to). Granted STTNG has a lot of purple but I cannot seem to get the look I am going for without it seeming overly purple. Part of it is I am just used to the color wheel/circle of the other app is all. I am sure I will find a happy medium.

The additional metal brackets are really nice. Things are really tight in the game so they aren't always playing nice when lifting the playfield (they have pulled out twice now - well one side that is). Overall I like the metal bracket idea better than the stick on magnets just need them to push in a tad further into the glass channel for this game.

Pro version - correct me if I am wrong here please. These will be narrower, more lights??, and interactive with the GI (i.e. if your GI goes red they go red like GZ etc) - right?

#130 29 days ago

Top pic is lights on bottom is lights off. I had not adjusted any settings on the strips in this pic. As you can see very purple look to the lights and too bright IMHO to start. I have adjusted them way down at this point but did not get a pic of that. For the way I use lighting I just like a little additional lighting to see the playfield better. I am not a floodlight type so my results will not be like or others or what these lights can "fully" do.

IMG_8780 (resized).jpegIMG_8780 (resized).jpegIMG_8781 (resized).jpegIMG_8781 (resized).jpeg

#131 29 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Yeah I can help with that. I need to probably pop a neo strip out of another game and see if that fits. There is very little room on that right side of STTNG due to that launcher wireform. I mean I have the classic strip in the game but it pops up a little due to the pressure of side wall and wireform pushing on it. It is solely from the width of the LED channels.
    With respect to the app I think that would be a good change. I think what happened last night was exactly what you said it did not connect due the password and then I had no way of knowing that as just said no game found. The other issue I had (user issue) is that because you use a database for the game name I was not getting past that stage either. I was trying to name the game what I wanted like the other app allows. Meaning I was calling it STTNG and it wouldn't accept that as it wants to assign the game itself. Once I realized that and put in Star Trek it populated all the titles and I could pick my game - again user error.
    Working with the lights/app I have noticed that they have a very purple hue to them (or seem to). Granted STTNG has a lot of purple but I cannot seem to get the look I am going for without it seeming overly purple. Part of it is I am just used to the color wheel/circle of the other app is all. I am sure I will find a happy medium.
    The additional metal brackets are really nice. Things are really tight in the game so they aren't always playing nice when lifting the playfield (they have pulled out twice now - well one side that is). Overall I like the metal bracket idea better than the stick on magnets just need them to push in a tad further into the glass channel for this game.
    Pro version - correct me if I am wrong here please. These will be narrower, more lights??, and interactive with the GI (i.e. if your GI goes red they go red like GZ etc) - right?

1. All of these are fantastic ideas. I'll add a default dropdown option at the top of the list that allows you to simply use what you enter as "the game", or you can simply scroll down the list and find your auto-completed options. Fantastic quality of life improvement I think.

2. Regarding the purple tint, you can get rid of it by going into your game settings and bumping down the "GI flasher mix". We PWM the purple flasher rail at lower intensity based on that setting for a basic "GI hue" effect. That should give you what you want.

3. The pros will have a narrower aluminum metal mount, should be closer to 0.25", full RGB functions (all diffused) and 4 separate trigger inputs. Those trigger inputs can control colors or even lighting effects. So you can have one input that simply flashes red or a period of time, does a red sweep from top to bottom, etc (a host of options here).

I love STTNG (especially ones that work) and yours looks great. I think your lighting intensity (or lack thereof) is the perfect addition, because you also want to preserve that "space ambiance" of the game.

#132 29 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

1. All of these are fantastic ideas. I'll add a default dropdown option at the top of the list that allows you to simply use what you enter as "the game", or you can simply scroll down the list and find your auto-completed options. Fantastic quality of life improvement I think.
    2. Regarding the purple tint, you can get rid of it by going into your game settings and bumping down the "GI flasher mix". We PWM the purple flasher rail at lower intensity based on that setting for a basic "GI hue" effect. That should give you what you want.
    3. The pros will have a narrower aluminum metal mount, should be closer to 0.25", full RGB functions (all diffused) and 4 separate trigger inputs. Those trigger inputs can control colors or even lighting effects. So you can have one input that simply flashes red or a period of time, does a red sweep from top to bottom, etc (a host of options here).
    I love STTNG (especially ones that work) and yours looks great. I think your lighting intensity (or lack thereof) is the perfect addition, because you also want to preserve that "space ambiance" of the game.

Exactly I want some additional light but not overdone.

On the purple tint - adjust GI flasher mix -- does this work at all if I do not have the GI flasher connection hooked up? I don't like the UV flash on the other brand at all and basically never hook it up (its hooked for Frank on MBR and that is it - it was fitting there). Should I connect this up somewhere?

#133 29 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Exactly I want some additional light but not overdone.
    On the purple tint - adjust GI flasher mix -- does this work at all if I do not have the GI flasher connection hooked up? I don't like the UV flash on the other brand at all and basically never hook it up (its hooked for Frank on MBR and that is it - it was fitting there). Should I connect this up somewhere?

The UV flasher wire that you left unhooked is just for the "bright ass purple trigger". The system is smart enough to be able to mix in some of that light rail with the GI circuit, so that's what you're seeing. They should look dim, but they're on and that's whats giving you that purple glow. Leave the connector disconnected just like you have it, then just move the "GI flasher mix" slider in your app, and enjoy!

#134 29 days ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I don't like the UV flash on the other brand at all and basically never hook it up

Yeah, I think there are a couple instances where the UV flash looks cool, but so many places it seems so out of place.

This is exactly why I have my fingers crossed for the "basic" version where it's just lighting with no flash inputs.

#135 29 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

"bright ass purple trigger"

You should put that in your marketing. Sounds so much better than UV Glow (yeah not yours I know)

At least its honest.

#136 29 days ago

Is there instructions sheet for the kit install that we can download and read?

#137 29 days ago

Is there instructions sheet for the kit install that we can download and read?

There's an instruction card included with your kit. There's also a full installation video at https://pinlights.net/install-classic/

I'm working on a full document outlining the install process with pictures as well. Feel free to DM me with any questions, I can hop on a call and help as well if needed.

#138 29 days ago

For those receiving their units, also make sure that after you get the board paired with the phone in the app, upgrade your firmware to 0.0.11 or later, which includes a bunch of bugfixes. Simply open your game in the app, scroll down and hit "Update Firmware". Leave your phone on and near the game while the update process takes place. It'll take roughly 30 seconds.

#139 29 days ago

Are you planning a version that taps power from the machine instead of requiring a separate 12v plug? I prefer not to use the service plug for a bunch of reasons, including that I use it while I'm servicing the game.

#140 29 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

There's an instruction card included with your kit. There's also a full installation video at https://pinlights.net/install-classic/
    I'm working on a full document outlining the install process with pictures as well. Feel free to DM me with any questions, I can hop on a call and help as well if needed.

Great video, nice simple and clean install.

#141 29 days ago
    Quoted from Frogman:

Are you planning a version that taps power from the machine instead of requiring a separate 12v plug? I prefer not to use the service plug for a bunch of reasons, including that I use it while I'm servicing the game.

Frogman!

That solution really only makes sense for Spike machines where we have a decently beefy line to tap into, but we probably wouldn't put that on the board itself because it requires extra circuitry to regulate 48V down to 12V with decent amperage, so it'd have to be an outboard solution (an add-on). WPC machines just don't have the extra capacity.

What games were you thinking here?

Great video, nice simple and clean install.

Glad to hear it! Though I'm still going to write some documentation around it just to make sure we've got our bases covered! Thanks for the motivation.

#142 29 days ago

Actually, regarding Spike power distribution, looks like my good friend Danesi has you covered: https://www.pinballlife.com/accessory-power-supply-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-machines-cabinet-mounting.html

It'll supply 12V@3A current, so you'd just need to make a conversion cable from the 3 pin molex to the 5.5 x 2.1mm barrel jack (center positive).

#143 28 days ago
    Quoted from pinlights:

Frogman!
    That solution really only makes sense for Spike machines where we have a decently beefy line to tap into, but we probably wouldn't put that on the board itself because it requires extra circuitry to regulate 48V down to 12V with decent amperage, so it'd have to be an outboard solution (an add-on). WPC machines just don't have the extra capacity.
    What games were you thinking here?

I have Stern, Williams, and JJP Games. I was going to start with WOZ because really needs light.

Your solution looks good, so I will live with the the 12v plug. I'll probably run it outside of the machine to an outlet.

#144 28 days ago

Just put in an order and am excited to install them.

#145 28 days ago

Pictures don’t do these any justice, these things look amazing, especially in metallica when you’re frying the little bastard.

IMG_9543 (resized).jpegIMG_9543 (resized).jpegIMG_9544 (resized).jpegIMG_9544 (resized).jpeg
    #146 28 days ago

Pinlights now streaming on a Metallica, courtesy of The Pinball Mafia: https://www.twitch.tv/thepinballmafia

#147 27 days ago

Got mine in last night. Here's the before and after in an unlit room. This is initial setting. I didn't do any adjusting yet.
    I need to get a new playfield. Most of the inserts have the clear coating coming off of them and the mansion has the same and a previous owner put mylar over it to prevent more wear. It feels like some of the inserts have raised up to increase the wear. It works for now.
    DSCN3485 (resized).JPGDSCN3485 (resized).JPGDSCN3486 (resized).JPGDSCN3486 (resized).JPGDSCN3489 (resized).JPGDSCN3489 (resized).JPGDSCN3491 (resized).JPGDSCN3491 (resized).JPG

#148 27 days ago

This is not a rant, just my experience of the install. I really like how it lights up the pf and the price is much better than the competition. It makes me want to play the game more now that I can see more. I know there's a learning curve to any new product or design. I'm very happy with this.

The TAF install was pretty straight forward except that I have the original pf hinges (big PITA). The pf does not slide, only hinges. I used the prop and reached over the back from the topside to install the wire keeps on the back of the pf and then reached from underneath to feed. I installed the wire in the keeps first and then stuck them on the back. This helped so I didn't have to fight the limited room that you have to work with. I bought the metal rails and didn't unpeel the adhesive strip. It's a little loose, but it doesn't come out and the pf glass might tighten it up once in.

The wires.... I read the email and looked at the wire crimps. The ones I received had the wire insulator crimped where only the wire should be, so no connectivity to the terminal. Also not a complete crimp. I folded the wire strands back and crimped them in and they work.

Connection... I believe it is because I have an older phone. I downloaded the app but my phone would not pick up the game. I tried messing with the blue tooth settings to no avail. My brothers phone worked fine and paired with the game. After he did the update (.11) mine then picked up the game and all is well.
    My thought is that if you have an older phone and the update has not been done, it won't detect it. (I'm not the most techy guy either). I didn't try pushing the nuke button.

I will see which of the games I have will benefit from this. It won't be very hard to move this from game to game and see what game needs this, but I'm sure I'll be buying more.

#149 27 days ago
    Quoted from pjflyer:

This is not a rant, just my experience of the install. I really like how it lights up the pf and the price is much better than the competition. It makes me want to play the game more now that I can see more. I know there's a learning curve to any new product or design. I'm very happy with this.
    The TAF install was pretty straight forward except that I have the original pf hinges (big PITA). The pf does not slide, only hinges. I used the prop and reached over the back from the topside to install the wire keeps on the back of the pf and then reached from underneath to feed. I installed the wire in the keeps first and then stuck them on the back. This helped so I didn't have to fight the limited room that you have to work with. I bought the metal rails and didn't unpeel the adhesive strip. It's a little loose, but it doesn't come out and the pf glass might tighten it up once in.
    The wires.... I read the email and looked at the wire crimps. The ones I received had the wire insulator crimped where only the wire should be, so no connectivity to the terminal. Also not a complete crimp. I folded the wire strands back and crimped them in and they work.
    Connection... I believe it is because I have an older phone. I downloaded the app but my phone would not pick up the game. I tried messing with the blue tooth settings to no avail. My brothers phone worked fine and paired with the game. After he did the update (.11) mine then picked up the game and all is well.
    My thought is that if you have an older phone and the update has not been done, it won't detect it. (I'm not the most techy guy either). I didn't try pushing the nuke button.
    I will see which of the games I have will benefit from this. It won't be very hard to move this from game to game and see what game needs this, but I'm sure I'll be buying more.

Thank you so much for the in-depth review of your install process! I'm taking all of this into account in the next batch of updates. I'll also shoot you a DM to get more details on your phone setup so I can diagnose the app thing you ran into!

#150 26 days ago

Have you had any power overflow errors when trying to hook flashers to different triggers? This has been an issue for me with other products. Also, nice to see that a local is making these.

There are 255 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinlights-interactive-playfield-lighting-for-179-free-us-shipping/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.