IMG_2656.jpg
Screenshot_20240423-151724-238 (resized).png
01_datasheet_lm337.jpg
00_wav095_schematic_high_voltage_regulator.jpg
IMG_2649.jpg
IMG_2650.jpg
Screenshot_20240422-160224-386 (resized).png
IMG_2639.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexrogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1113 5 months ago

I'm excited to be joining the NBA Fastbreak club soon!

Game won't need much when I get it. Hoops ramp basket is cracked and chipped, so a replacement ramp from Starship Fantasy will likely happen at some point. Rubber rings and post sleeves of course. I'm thinking of going with white rubber rings all around and orange post sleeves. Not sure about flipper rubber yet. There seems to be a lot of colour combos that would look good on this game. As well as different coloured leg protectors. My preference for LED's is the frosted dome 2SMD's cool or natural white (not bluish and not yellowish) for both the inserts and the GI on the playfield and in the backbox.

I did wonder about one thing: what are the colorizations like for this game on the PIN2DMD displays? Or the ColorDMD for that matter? PIN2DMD is a little more in my price range, but depends on how well the colorization is really. Thoughts?

#1114 5 months ago

Got the game on the weekend and have been playing it non-stop ever since!

IMG_2297 (resized).JPGIMG_2297 (resized).JPG
#1115 5 months ago

Question about the pop bumpers: My lower left one with the red cap works fine and the light in it comes on and off as a flasher when it gets hit. The lower right one has no light in it by design. The upper one has a light but no cap. The manual calls for a 906 bulb in this popper, which is a flasher bulb. My game currently looks to just have a regular wedge base incandescent in it and this bulb is always on (like any GI bulb would normally stay on all the time).

Is that right? This always on bulb in the upper popper? Should it only come on when the popper is hit? Or always on like most other popper bulbs?

#1117 5 months ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

Mine has always had the standard wedge bulb and is always on with the GI. My manual doesn't specify a bulb for this location and is not listed as a flasher on page 2-40 of my manual. FWIW.

I'm probably trying to give the original manual too much credit for being correct.

I also have two slightly different versions of the manual, both downloaded as PDF's from ipdb.org.

On page 2-22 for the jet bumper assemblies, it lists the three pop bumpers, with the top one having the details spelled out and then the next two only noting what is different. The top list is pretty clearly the lower left one with the red cap and dome. #7 on that parts list is a 555 bulb yet on page 2-40 for the solenoids/flashers, it shows #18 for that bulb as a 906.

The second pop bumper just shows the four things not used, which includes the cap and the bulb socket and bulb.

The third shows the cap missing but includes the bulb socket and then also lists a 906 bulb. Yet none is shown on that 2-40 page in either version of the manual I have.

I had honestly been looking closer at those jet bumper assembly parts lists because I am going to replace the chipped skirts (wafers) and wanted to see what colours they came with originally. And that changed from manual to manual too it seems. In one version it is white for the lower left and the lower right, while the upper one got purple. And then in the second version of the manual it lists all three skirts as being red. Go figure! lol

I am going to put a red skirt in the lower left one and purple in the other two as that seems to look good from the pics I've seen. I don't see mention anywhere of the red skirt needing to be trimmed, but it sure looks like it has to be. Fun fun. Maybe the technical writing department back in the day didn't get the budget they needed.

#1119 5 months ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I love it! The upper right bulb should be a GI bulb wedge. I also just replaced all of my wafers. All three were chipped. My game has a red (modified) skirt for lower left and white for the other two. Though purple could be cool for the upper right. I guess it depends if you want it to blend in or stand out.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are great pictures. I hadn't realized how good the access to the pop bumpers was with only that right ramp removed. I'm still acquiring a few more parts before tearing it down to do rubber rings and whatnot.

I saw pics of someone with an orange skirt there too and that also looked good.

Another question, maybe another one reading too much into specifics... in the NBAFB manual, they call out the fuses as being "time delay". Is this just another name for the slow blow ones used in most other pinball machines? They got different part numbers so wasn't sure and figured I would ask.

#1124 5 months ago
Quoted from localVariable:

...I didn't like the look of the GI bulb sticking through the plastic on the pop, so I replaced it with one of the LED discs that can be placed inside the pop (since I had already taken the whole thing apart anyway at that point).
[quoted image]

Nice! This is a great idea! I have a couple of those leftover from something else and will for sure try one out in that top popper. Thanks for the idea!!

2 weeks later
#1127 5 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Hey so I tried something new yesterday..
How low of a score can you get and earn a championship ring?
I got 49 lol[quoted image]

Nice! I like it! Pretty much all of the modes you just have to start and not earn a certain number of points. Might have to give that a go, lol.

#1129 5 months ago
Quoted from DK:

It removed a score of 290 and put this instead lol

Be fun to try. The six areas you have to complete include the 20 points one, so that's a bare minimum in points. Wrong trivia answer still gives you one point. Getting the pop bumper counts up to start those modes might be the challenge to keep the total score low.

#1133 5 months ago

I'm tearing my game down for the first time to do a cleaning and whatnot.

Noticed my game has a double rubber ring on this spot above the pop bumpers. The manual only shows one and the photos online here have a mix of games with only one and some with two. Which is it supposed to be? Any reason why some games went with a double ring here?

IMG_2585 (resized).JPGIMG_2585 (resized).JPG
#1136 5 months ago

Thanks for the tips. I have white rubber rings to put in along with orange post sleeves and black flipper rubber. I'll likely go with just a single ring there to keep the light from getting blocked. Purple skirts for the two right side pop bumpers and red for the one with the red cap. New transparent orange star posts, regular and narrow as well as new lane guides. Orange leg protectors and new orange flipper buttons (as well as new steel spring levers on the inside for the opto interrupter boards for those flippers).

I did all cool white frosted dome 2SMD LED's in the inserts and GI except the 22 bulbs in the backbox where I did a warm white frosted dome as they aren't completely hidden under plastics and the full strength cool whites are a little too bright like that in my opinion.

I have another box of parts I'm waiting on to get going on reinstall. Anti-mag shim for the trough, wingbolts for the backbox and a new piece of plastic trim for the top of the playfield glass where it meets the end of the cabinet (mine had a crack in the corner). Flipper rebuild kit and new Williams logo orange flipper bats (not the one in the backbox, I can live with that being left as-is, lol). Also have some replacement PCB stand-offs for the backbox plastics as a couple of them are missing or not staying snug anymore.

Only plastic that's actually cracked or broken is the skinny one along the shooter lane and right outlane. It had mylar/masking tape holding it together. It doesn't seem readily available to buy just on it's own, so might try and MacGyver a brace for it either out of old plastics or a Cliffy I had for a different game and never used.

My hoops ramp has a pretty cracked up basket and I'd like to get the two ramp combo from Starship Fantasy which includes the centre ramp (also a little cracked on my game). Prices in USD with the exchange rate and shipping is pretty pricey nowadays, so am going to get things back together and then decide how badly I want new ramps.

Boards are all in good shape and NVRAM has been installed. The clock keeps time randomly because of that so midnight madness comes on as a surprise instead of actually at midnight. Playfield is in very nice shape both on top and underneath. Quite a clean game and the cabinet is in very good shape. Regular DMD still and I think the serial number on it says it came out of someone else's Indiana Jones Pinball Adventure. Go figure. The image is good with no outgassing. I may get a PIN2DMD for the game down the road.

Love the game though. Definitely has that one more game feel for me. I think I've played close to 200 games since I got it about three weeks ago. Highest score has been 375 with one ring and 334 with two rings. I've given all the other high scores the boot except the Bulls with three rings and Celtics with two. I'm coming for ya! lol

#1145 4 months ago

I want to try this low score ring winning challenge, but have my game apart to do some rubber rings and clean-up. Just waiting on a few parts to keep going on the pop bumper skirts and then flipper bats and mechanism rebuilds. Got it pretty clean once everything was removed. Can't wait to get back in the game!!

IMG_2610 (resized).JPGIMG_2610 (resized).JPGIMG_2613 (resized).JPGIMG_2613 (resized).JPGIMG_2623 (resized).JPGIMG_2623 (resized).JPGIMG_2629 (resized).JPGIMG_2629 (resized).JPG
#1147 4 months ago
Quoted from DK:

Looking good! Best of luck on the lowest score!

What is it, No Fear that says that second place is the first loser? Whoohoo, what's the best loser score called then?? lol Game on!!

#1154 4 months ago

Anyone know if this backboard mod can be purchased somewhere still?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1226-game-room-info-shop/04277-nba-fastbreak-backboard-mod

#1156 4 months ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Contact taylor34 as he made them.

Thanks! I shot him a quick message and he said he doesn't have any of these backboards available and may or may not make more in the future.

If anyone has one of these backboard mods for the shot clock and doesn't need it or want it anymore, I'd be interested in buying it off of you. Lemme know. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#1157 3 months ago

Are PIN2DMD colorization files done and available for NBA Fastbreak? Who has them and how do I get (or purchase) a set? I don't see mention of it on the VPUniverse forum.

#1160 3 months ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What's better PIN2DMD or ColorDMD?

ColorDMD is better in every category except price.

Actually, it’s a taller unit too and I’m not sure how well that would fit under the Fastbreak backbox insert game. Seems like it would make an already challenging translite to get out even more difficult.

#1166 3 months ago

I got a new hoops ramp as my basket was pretty cracked up. I need to remove the hoop protector as well as moving over the reed switches that are underneath. I understand I need to drill out the rivets, just not sure what the best way to do that is? Not looking to mangle my existing ramp as it's still useable and a decent spare.

Oh, and I would then need to rivet back in the reed switches to the new ramp. What size rivets does this take and where do I get them from? The hoop protector came with tiny nuts I can use to reinstall it if I can't figure the rivets out for that portion.

#1168 3 months ago
Quoted from jcar302:

As long as you use a sharp bit, the rivets will come right out. As for the reinstall, the kit comes with nice Allen screws, I didn't bother riveting it, you will never notice. If you really want to rivet it back on, there is a pinball press rivet kit you can buy, I forgot where I got it, but with a little practice it's not too hard.
But you will need some kinda hard bench mounted vise to hammer on.

Did you get tiny screws for the reed switches too? I didn't see those in there, but maybe I missed them amongst all the packaging peanuts...

#1170 3 months ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Another option is to replace the existing MRS with one of our ramp MRS - which are smaller/lighter and simply adhere to the ramp....plug/play...
Matt

You have a product page with info and prices?

1 month later
#1181 70 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is there an adjustment / settings adjustment for the shot blocker that moves back and forth?
Mine doesn’t move far enough to the right to block a jump shot from the right saucer. It’s needs to travel about a 1/4” farther.

When the defender is moving into that fourth position, where on the slotted arc in the playfield is the stem of that mechanism? All the way to the far end of the arc? Room to spare? How does it compare to the position of the same things for the first shooter spot?

Im inclined to think the defender plastic or metal flap is out of adjustment more so than there needs to be an adjustment underneath.

#1183 70 days ago

Actually, one question of my own for the group after talking about that shooter 4 position...

I put a new hoops ramp in from Starship Fantasy recently. It is thicker, as most of you know, and fit reasonably well, but not perfectly. One of the angles or positions that seems to have changed is how the tip of that clear plastic piece that gets attached on top of the right side of the basket loop is now in the path of the shooter 4 shots. It's not every single time, but say half of the shots from shooter 4 hit that plastic piece and careen off the rim of the basket and fall down. Then other times it shoots it straight into the basket no problem. So it feels inconsistent, but the position of that plastic isn't changing. More like how the ball is sitting down in the saucer and subsequently how squarely the plunger tip hits the ball. I'm not honestly sure if it's the less force hit that careens away or the more force hit that does.

Anyone experience this before? What was your solution?

#1187 69 days ago

I'll take some pics and try to label them a little as to what I mean. I never looked at how that geometry was prior because it never missed from there. Oddly enough, when I got my game last November, it was shooter #1 that wouldn't always work. Used to come up short some of the time. I replaced the coil sleeve and double checked tightness and alignment on all the bolts and screws and brackets when putting it all back together after a topside tear down and it's never missed a single time since then.

This shooter #4 inconsistency I think is more likely related to something underneath affecting how the plungers are hitting the ball. Need to likely put it into test mode and just try to shoot the ball repeatedly and see if I can notice a pattern.

Larry... thanks for chiming in. Ramps went in fairly well. Centre ramp was good and I got the two front protectors swapped over and re-riveted back in place. I did want to mention to you at some point that the two entrance protectors you provided as new and already installed on the hoops ramp were not quite right. The leftside one had too small of a hole on the end of that metal piece to allow the screw to go through it and into the post. I drilled it out slightly bigger and that's fine now. The rightside one I still don't have secured down properly as it was not long enough to reach the post on that side. It's not too short by much, maybe a 1/4" or so, but it just won't get there unless you put some kind of serious force on it and I just don't want to do that. I will likely reuse the protector from my old ramp, but to do that I need to take out the new ramp again and I didn't notice this discrepancy until it was already all installed and I wasn't enthusiastic about undoing everything I just did to fix it. I will in the near future though.

#1189 69 days ago
Quoted from lrosent345:

No two piballs, even the same title, are never the same. Remember they drilled holes by hand back then. I need to know if others are experiencing this problem or not. If they are, then I need to fix it.

Regarding the shooter 4 misses, I went underneath today and double checked the coil and sleeve and bracket and spring and plunger. It all looked pretty much fine and as expected.

Next thing I'm going to swap back to original is just the replacement round plastic piece that mounts on top of the rightside of that hoop loop. The ball hits the corner of it when it misses and I'm wondering if the extra thickness of it or lesser flexibility is what is causing the ball to careen off instead of just hitting and then falling into the basket.

3 weeks later
#1191 47 days ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-problems-on-an-nba-fastbreak

I created a thread looking for help with a PIN2DMD display if any of you have ideas to share.

#1194 44 days ago
Quoted from Leonardogit:

Hello everyone, the shot clock on my Fastbreak every time it turns on remains static at number 24, could this be a bug in the rom? I've already noticed some sound bugs in this version I'm using (2.1)

How does the connector on the shot clock itself look? Connector lined up correctly with the pins? Not off by one from one side or the other?

#1196 44 days ago
Quoted from Leonardogit:

I already checked the connector, it's perfect
I also installed a power drive from another machine of mine and it didn't solve the problem

Is the shot clock in the features adjustment menu? Like where you can disable it? Maybe it's not enabled. Not sure if that's possible. I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment.

1 week later
#1204 33 days ago

Center shot for sure scores in trophy multiball. So do the four shooters up top. So you can either shoot to the far right to get the ball up top and it will automatically launch it into the basket, or you can shoot the far left loop to get it up there. The far left shot can still keep on going and come back around to the right flipper though. Or maybe that flap is kept down during this mode? Agreed it is frantic while in the mode and hard to check on these things while playing. A buddy watching while you're playing would be good. The left ramp divertor... the hook shot one I mean... I'm not sure if that stays down or not or whether it pops up? Something else to try and watch and see. I find it difficult to keep trying for the center shot only because other balls so often interfere with a clear shot.

1 week later
#1236 22 days ago
Quoted from Nintegageo:

Hey guys, seems I may be joining the club next wk. It'll be joining WCS, NGG and CP. Do you guys find it similar to any of these, or ya think it gonna complement them well?

For me it's about where the shots are and not so much the theme. NBA Fastbreak puts all shots very close to the flippers. You're basically aiming at ramps and targets only halfway up the playfield, as opposed to WCS where the goal is all the way at the top. So with that in mind, I'd say it plays more similar to Champion Pub than the other two.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alexrogan84.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-fanatics-club?tu=alexrogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.