(Topic ID: 310125)

Cactus Canyon Remake Club - New Sheriffs in Town! (with FAQs)

By jfh

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15,459 posts
  • 759 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by jackd104
  • Topic is favorited by 382 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which version have you ordered and/or received?”

• Limited Edition [LE] 333 votes
    51%
  • Special Edition with Wild West topper [SE+] 104 votes
    16%
  • Special Edition [SE] 217 votes
    33%

(654 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0826 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0825 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240427_183845_Chrome (resized).jpg
IMG_0159.jpeg
IMG_0160.jpeg
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_2145 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2138 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
IMG_5053 (resized).jpg
IMG_5068 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
AE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 308 of 310.
#15351 28 days ago
Quoted from Hershmeister:

Can someone please tell me how the flippers are supposed to line up with the witness marks? are they supposed go be directly underneath the flipper tips or above them?

People usually take a tooth pick and stick it between the rubber ring and flipper bat. Then center the toothpick over the hole and push it down to hold it.

LTG : )

#15352 28 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

People usually take a tooth pick and stick it between the rubber ring and flipper bat. Then center the toothpick over the hole and push it down to hold it.

Genius. Never occurred to me to do that.

#15353 28 days ago

I just replaced my original flippers with a set of precision halos
I totally forgot to take a “before” pic
Can someone please tell me how the flippers are supposed to line up with the witness marks? are they supposed go be directly underneath the flipper tips or above them?
Thanks!

The old Williams/Bally way, or the way I learned was to stick an object (tooth pick, small drill bit, etc.) into the roll pin hole and align the bottom of the flipper against it. This was always done without the rubber installed but putting it between the rubber and bat would accomplish the same thing, and probably make it easier to keep aligned when tightening.

I think there's some controversy stating they should be aligned with the ball guides, but I've always used the index pins as intended.

#15354 28 days ago

#15355 28 days ago

Agree. I put toothpicks between the rubber and the bat (lower side) and use the pin hole to line up.

#15356 28 days ago

Easter code update?

#15357 28 days ago

precision on this game?!

can send a photo tomorrow.

#15358 28 days ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

Easter code update

Next Easter (perhaps)!

#15359 28 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks for the tip

On Cactus however, if you do this, the flipper would be at set an upwards angle….

Is it possible that on CGC machines its the top of the flipper you use to make this adjustment?

For now I set them even with the lane guides

Had low bounce titans on them but did not like the feel - put on regular titans and will see how that compares to stock rubber

#15360 28 days ago

Thanks for the tip
On Cactus however, if you do this, the flipper would be at set an upwards angle….
Is it possible that on CGC machines its the top of the flipper you use to make this adjustment?
For now I set them even with the lane guides

Hmm, I think you might be right. Just looked at my CCr and it looks like they aligned it to the top of the flipper (no rubber). With rubber it's perfectly aligned with the guide. Looked at my original AFM & TZ and the PF hole is definitely aligned with the bottom of the flipper bat (no rubber).

#15361 27 days ago

Interesting! I have read several posts. That flippers now days are to be adjusted to be inline with lane guide, with rubber. People no longer are using the role pin in playfield and toothpicks?

#15362 27 days ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

Interesting! I have read several posts. That flippers now days are to be adjusted to be inline with lane guide, with rubber. People no longer are using the role pin in playfield and toothpicks?

This thread is the first time I've ever even heard of this method with a toothpick. Granted I've only had a handful of machines over the few years I've owned pinball machines, but I've gone down this rabbit hole before and every thread I've read ultimately ended at aligning with the lane guides. While playfields typically have these alignment holes, they may not be perfect and each manufacturer might place them differently, and that's not even getting into the discussion of original vs repro playfields. This just makes logical sense as well aligning with lane guides, since otherwise if the flipper was angled up or down relative to the lane guide would cause a bounce or hop when the ball transitions from the lane guide to the flipper.

Just recently found this and considering picking one up to save myself some time over using a straight edge one flipper at a time.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1588-nezzy-s-pinball-prints/10444-flipper-align-pro-solid-state-65-degree

#15363 27 days ago

Flipper alignment depends on the game. For CC, the flippers are intended from the factory to be a little bit higher than aligned with the inlane guides. However, I feel that it plays great when you’re able to get the flippers lined up with the guides and adjust the height of the wire to eliminate all ball hop. I prefer it this way, but factory setup allows for balls to be trapped up a little easier.

Your game, set it up how you like!

I also gave up on low bounce titans immediately. Not a fan.

#15364 27 days ago
Quoted from tonyf1965:

I've always used the roll pins for alignment, they put them there for a reason. But I've only owned B/W machines, so not sure what other mfg's specify.

#15365 27 days ago
Quoted from ottodawg:

I've always used the roll pins for alignment, they put them there for a reason. But I've only owned B/W machines, so not sure what other mfg's specify.

Newer games just have a painted dot, or nothing at all...

My Stargate has nothing.

#15366 26 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My Stargate has nothing.

Might be dating yourself a bit if you’re saying Stargate is a newer pin!

#15367 26 days ago
Quoted from curban:

Might be dating yourself a bit if you’re saying Stargate is a newer pin!

lol, I think most of the newest games have eliminated the roll pin to adjust the flippers

#15368 26 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My Stargate has nothing.

Spike 2 Sterns have indentations in the playfield that the flipper bats are supposed to point directly at. They might look like painted dots though if a previous owner used millwax.

#15369 24 days ago

LEs coming in/around June!

#15370 24 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Happy to hear they might beat the 3 year mark

#15371 24 days ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I can "confirm" the same.

#15372 23 days ago
Quoted from SimplePin:

I can "confirm" the same.

I can as well.

#15373 23 days ago

I am again having the same issue that popped up a few months after my LE was delivered. Any ideas? Here is my ticket that I just submitted...

The only ticket I have submitted is happening again. When you shoot the ball the options show on the screen and as ball trips the switch award choices change a few times or none at all as soon as the ball is launched the reward is selected and displayed on the screen. Sometimes when the ball is loaded prior to launch the reward is displayed and disables the switch. I have run the switch test and manually launching the ball and it closes and opens as designed and appears to work 100% showing open and closed each time it goes around when in switch test. This happens 90% of the time. Rarely will the awards scroll the same number of revolutions prior to giving award. I replaced the harness once which was a pain.

The switch test passes 100%. What else can it be. When I replaced the harness it worked perfectly for a long time then blammo back to not working correctly 95% of the time. It sucks having this issue again.

#15374 23 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

It sucks that you can't upload the example videos that I took here.

Put it on Youtube and post the link here.

#15375 23 days ago

I am not sure how to make an awesome suggestion to the Lyman package under development.
I believe this would make Cactus Canyon a top 5 game.

When I play my other favorite game my Stern Jurassic Park Premium (From 2019),
I have these options and several other game specific.
Can the Chicago gaming developers take a look and add these to the Lyman package?
There is no need in my opinion to develop the entire connect infrastructure.
The "players" can be as they are "Player 1", "Player 2", "Player 3" and "Player 4".
That would greatly simplify the code.

The three game modes could be:
Standard: The full rule sheet is available. The default.
Cooperative: All game progress is saved between players.
Team Play: Splits players into teams (2 x 2 or 1 x 3) that share all game progress.
The 1x3 is an awesome way for a seasoned player to take on multiple players and make it enjoyable and a challenge for both.
I have done a similar thing with friends to equalize ball time. "You be Players 1, 2 & 3 and I will be Player 4". While this balances ball time (not always, tee hee) it does not add up the score which would make it super cool.

It would be awesome if they included this feature in the Lyman upgrade code.
I thought another awesome idea that Jurassic Park is LACKING would be when Team Play is selected there is a "Victory" screen.
"Team Players 1 & 2"
"WIN!"
or
"Team Players 3 & 4"
"WIN!"
or
"Tag Team Players 1,2 & 3"
"Win!"
or
"Out gunned but not outmatched"
"Single Player 4"
"Wins!"

This code concept was developed by Stern back in 2019, however this approach not involving Connect is simpler and cleaner.
It would be an awesome addition for games on location as well as for in home use.

Please forward this to the current developers. I can imagine this would bring a smile to Lyman.
Please!

#15376 23 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Put it on Youtube and post the link here.

Done

#15377 22 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I am again having the same issue that popped up a few months after my LE was delivered. Any ideas? Here is my ticket that I just submitted...
The only ticket I have submitted is happening again. When you shoot the ball the options show on the screen and as ball trips the switch award choices change a few times or none at all as soon as the ball is launched the reward is selected and displayed on the screen. Sometimes when the ball is loaded prior to launch the reward is displayed and disables the switch. I have run the switch test and manually launching the ball and it closes and opens as designed and appears to work 100% showing open and closed each time it goes around when in switch test. This happens 90% of the time. Rarely will the awards scroll the same number of revolutions prior to giving award. I replaced the harness once which was a pain.
The switch test passes 100%. What else can it be. When I replaced the harness it worked perfectly for a long time then blammo back to not working correctly 95% of the time. It sucks having this issue again.

I have this same issue. The first time I resoldered the wires at the switch and the problem was gone for awhile. The switch on the lower right ramp that selects the award. I haven’t taken the time to investigate yet. Recently it started up again. It collects the award without scrolling the awards to the right. For me it’s intermittent but happens more often then not.

#15378 22 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I am not sure how to make an awesome suggestion to the Lyman package under development.
I believe this would make Cactus Canyon a top 5 game.
When I play my other favorite game my Stern Jurassic Park Premium (From 2019),
I have these options and several other game specific.
Can the Chicago gaming developers take a look and add these to the Lyman package?
There is no need in my opinion to develop the entire connect infrastructure.
The "players" can be as they are "Player 1", "Player 2", "Player 3" and "Player 4".
That would greatly simplify the code.
The three game modes could be:
Standard: The full rule sheet is available. The default.
Cooperative: All game progress is saved between players.
Team Play: Splits players into teams (2 x 2 or 1 x 3) that share all game progress.
The 1x3 is an awesome way for a seasoned player to take on multiple players and make it enjoyable and a challenge for both.
I have done a similar thing with friends to equalize ball time. "You be Players 1, 2 & 3 and I will be Player 4". While this balances ball time (not always, tee hee) it does not add up the score which would make it super cool.
It would be awesome if they included this feature in the Lyman upgrade code.
I thought another awesome idea that Jurassic Park is LACKING would be when Team Play is selected there is a "Victory" screen.
"Team Players 1 & 2"
"WIN!"
or
"Team Players 3 & 4"
"WIN!"
or
"Tag Team Players 1,2 & 3"
"Win!"
or
"Out gunned but not outmatched"
"Single Player 4"
"Wins!"
This code concept was developed by Stern back in 2019, however this approach not involving Connect is simpler and cleaner.
It would be an awesome addition for games on location as well as for in home use.
Please forward this to the current developers. I can imagine this would bring a smile to Lyman.
Please!

Quoted from GreenMachine19:

I have this same issue. The first time I resoldered the wires at the switch and the problem was gone for awhile. The switch on the lower right ramp that selects the award. I haven’t taken the time to investigate yet. Recently it started up again. It collects the award without scrolling the awards to the right. For me it’s intermittent but happens more often then not.

Try reseating the connector under the playfield. I had this problem before and this solved the issue. You can even put a small dab of hot glue to hold the connecter in place. I haven't had this problem since.

#15379 22 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Try reseating the connector under the playfield. I had this problem before and this solved the issue. You can even put a small dab of hot glue to hold the connecter in place. I haven't had this problem since.

Reseat which connector? I am thinking it is related to the switch located under where the ball is loaded ready to be launched. Sometimes the reward is selected before the ball is even launched. That is why I think its the lower switch 18 "shooter lane" (shown on manual page 2-66) is at fault. The solution last time was to replace the small harness that includes the switch 67 in the "skilll bowl" (shown on manual page 2-66). Since the shooter lane switch was not changed initially, why did the symptom go away for months?

Reward issue switches (resized).jpgReward issue switches (resized).jpg
#15380 21 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

Reseat which connector? I am thinking it is related to the switch located under where the ball is loaded ready to be launched. Sometimes the reward is selected before the ball is even launched. That is why I think its the lower switch 18 "shooter lane" (shown on manual page 2-66) is at fault. The solution last time was to replace the small harness that includes the switch 67 in the "skilll bowl" (shown on manual page 2-66). Since the shooter lane switch was not changed initially, why did the symptom go away for months?
[quoted image]

It’s switch 68 that awards the skill shot, it’s attached to the bottom of the ramp and the ball travels over it after leaving the bowl.

#15381 21 days ago

*Mod Alert* I went to the doctor and got a cactus enlargement. Message me if interested. 100 buckaroos.

86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpeg86B25964-BA83-413E-9949-4511DE3D5375 (resized).jpegAE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpegAE50EDD5-0A2D-4824-883B-9B097D38C6FF (resized).jpeg

#15382 21 days ago

Soooo.. I have one for the group

I played my CCLE and when I launched the ball
The game fully froze on the skill shot screen

Game was playable but with no sound and display frozen

Lost the ball and next ball (ball
2) was in shooter lane. Game acted like nothing happened

Can’t replicate this situation

Thoughts ?

#15383 21 days ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

It’s switch 68 that awards the skill shot, it’s attached to the bottom of the ramp and the ball travels over it after leaving the bowl.

I disagree, because sometimes the ball is placed in the shooter lane and before even touching the shooter rod the award is given. The ball is sitting on the closed switch ready to be launched. The award was given and off of screen. It is launched and no change because award was already given. That is why I think the issue is tied to switch 18.

#15384 21 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

[quoted image]

It's an inductive sensor BS:7 Connector J16. It's on a small board on the bottom side of the playfield.

Screenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240408_031213_Drive (resized).jpg
#15385 21 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

When I had CCR, it was the vibration setting it off on the sensor wedged between the plastic ramp and the lasso loop. The vibration from launch would cause the sensor near the "drop hole" to trip and select the reward before the ball ever entered the lasso loop or touched the switch at all. A little prying/manipulation to separate that sensor from the plastic ramp it was touching gave it clearance and the problem stopped. Originally, I thought it was an issue with the switch itself in the loop but any manipulation there would maybe fix it and only temporarily. It was because while manipulating there and scratching my head I was unknowingly providing the clearance below on that sensor.

Excuse any wrong terminology. I'm not a tech but can often diagnose problems.

Screenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240408_083646_Chrome (resized).jpg
#15386 21 days ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

I disagree, because sometimes the ball is placed in the shooter lane and before even touching the shooter rod the award is given. The ball is sitting on the closed switch ready to be launched. The award was given and off of screen. It is launched and no change because award was already given. That is why I think the issue is tied to switch 18.

That is the switch that is supposed to award the skill shot, your game isn’t working correctly.

#15387 18 days ago

This has been discussed before, but my experience was a little different so... I was getting a fairly loud hum when the right gunfight post was "up". It had been like that since unboxing. I finally decided to fix it. It turns out the fix was simple: I loosened the coil stop bracket and re-tightened it... and now it's totally silent! When re-tightening, I held the bracket snug and square against the coil. What's odd is that the coil was snug before (I couldn't jiggle the coil)... and now I can jiggle the coil. Maybe the coil stop was installed a bit cockeyed originally. Anyway, no more annoying hum.

#15388 18 days ago

Mine buzzes like crazy!

Robert

#15389 18 days ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

This has been discussed before, but my experience was a little different so... I was getting a fairly loud hum when the right gunfight post was "up". It had been like that since unboxing. I finally decided to fix it. It turns out the fix was simple: I loosened the coil stop bracket and re-tightened it... and now it's totally silent! When re-tightening, I held the bracket snug and square against the coil. What's odd is that the coil was snug before (I couldn't jiggle the coil)... and now I can jiggle the coil. Maybe the coil stop was installed a bit cockeyed originally. Anyway, no more annoying hum.

Great tip. I’ll try that as well. Mine buzzes as well

#15390 18 days ago

Great tip. I’ll try that as well. Mine buzzes as well

This was happening on sterns some time ago with this simple fix!

#15391 18 days ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I’ll give that a shot next time I lift the playfield…something I thankfully haven’t had to do in quite some while.

#15392 17 days ago

Hello all! - There's another sheriff in town. I'm excited to join the club as a new CCr LE owner!

I made a trip across the border from Arizona to California to pick up a HUO with very low plays in excellent condition.
The Cactus Canyon remake is such a beautiful and fun family game.

I do have my first question to the group.
The left side "bronco" loop has an optical sensor along the ball guide. This sensor is sticking out and when you shoot the "marksman" loop and the ball comes around it hits the sensor and directs the ball over to the right flipper instead of a smooth roll down to the left flipper. (See photo)

Someone else had confirmed that the sensor is hidden behind or at least flush with the left side ball guide.

My Question: I assume that the left side ball guide can be pulled out a bit to hide/cover the sensor. Can anyone confirm this and if so, is the only way to adjust that is to remove the left side river ramp guides and railroad tracks and plastics, etc.? This appears to be complicated with everything over that left sensor/side ball guide.

Thanks!
p.s. Thank you for all the great info on this site and the people that helped me with the decision to go with the LE & Topper.

IMG_5053 (resized).jpgIMG_5053 (resized).jpgIMG_5068 (resized).jpgIMG_5068 (resized).jpgCapture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#15393 17 days ago
Quoted from DavisAZ:

Hello all! - There's another sheriff in town. I'm excited to join the club as a new CCr LE owner!
I made a trip across the border from Arizona to California to pick up a HUO with very low plays in excellent condition.
The left side "bronco" loop has an optical sensor along the ball guide. This sensor is sticking out and when you shoot the "marksman" loop and the ball comes around it hits the sensor and directs the ball over to the right flipper instead of a smooth roll down to the left flipper. (See photo)
Someone else had confirmed that the sensor is hidden behind or at least flush with the left side ball guide.
My Question: I assume that the left side ball guide can be pulled out a bit to hide/cover the sensor. Can anyone confirm this and if so, is the only way to adjust that is to remove the left side river ramp guides and railroad tracks and plastics, etc.? This appears to be complicated with everything over that left sensor/side ball guide.
Thanks!
p.s. Thank you for all the great info on this site and the people that helped me with the decision to go with the LE & Topper. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can you adjust the angle or position of the opto from under the pf?

#15394 17 days ago
Quoted from DavisAZ:

Thanks!
p.s. Thank you for all the great info on this site and the people that helped me with the decision to go with the LE & Topper. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I added a washer under the opto bracket on that side. Angled it just enough for the ball not to hit it. I believe someone else on here bent the opto bracket. Access was easy and under the playfield. It was a several/more pages back.

#15395 17 days ago

Thank you - I’ll look at the washer solution. I did look under and was contemplating if I could adjust something underneath.
I thought I had read all the posts, but must have missed that one. Lots of info.
Thanks again

#15396 14 days ago

A friend needs some support.

The problem is the train.
It only moves forward about 10 cm and then immediately back (right)
1. In test mode, the train moves forward normally for the entire route, back a little faster.
2. I assumed it was the weight of the train, but the same thing without the train.
3. No error message
4. Can you adjust, set and fix the train and the route?
5. There are no opto's or anything else on the train route.
I look forward to answers and ideas and tips.

#15397 13 days ago
Quoted from great-hosts:

A friend needs some support.
The problem is the train.
It only moves forward about 10 cm and then immediately back (right)
1. In test mode, the train moves forward normally for the entire route, back a little faster.
2. I assumed it was the weight of the train, but the same thing without the train.
3. No error message
4. Can you adjust, set and fix the train and the route?
5. There are no opto's or anything else on the train route.
I look forward to answers and ideas and tips.

Check the connector on the left side of the train track. It could not be connected all the way. I believe that is an encoder.

20240415_145651 (resized).jpg20240415_145651 (resized).jpg
#15398 12 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Check the connector on the left side of the train track. It could not be connected all the way. I believe that is an encoder.
[quoted image]

Thank you very much, I hadn't even thought of that. But is there such a thing as adjusting in software?

#15399 11 days ago
Quoted from great-hosts:

Thank you very much, I hadn't even thought of that. But is there such a thing as adjusting in software?

Not that I'm aware of. I had this problem after I changed all the rubber rings in mine and it was that plug. I forgot to plug it back in. Lol

#15400 11 days ago
Quoted from Menthelm:

Not that I'm aware of. I had this problem after I changed all the rubber rings in mine and it was that plug. I forgot to plug it back in. Lol

If that doesn’t solve his problem, several of us had faulty train motors. However, Problem seemed to exist from day 1 of game play but mine behaved similar to your description…wouldn’t move during game play but worked fine in test. CGC replaced train motor promptly after filing a warranty ticket.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
T&T Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 299.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Eville Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 8,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,250.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 210.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 15,459 posts in this topic. You are on page 308 of 310.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cactus-canyon-remake-club-new-sheriffs-in-town/page/308 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.