Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 250 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    435330794_818815803616026_6752545274942430052_n.jpg
    download (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg
    Hawthorne_Bridge_(Portland,_Oregon)_from_southwest,_2012 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7891 (resized).png
    ships (resized).JPG
    0321_evergiven-stuck-suez_1600 (resized).jpg
    pp - 2 (resized).jpeg
    pp - 1 (resized).jpeg
    Picture 095 (resized).jpg
    Picture 075 (resized).jpg
    Picture 068 (resized).jpg
    Picture 066 (resized).jpg
    Picture 064 (resized).jpg
    Greater_New_Orleans_Bridges,_New_Orleans,_LA (resized).jpg
    There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 33 days ago

Baltimore bridge collapse

This one is going to be different then the bridge on 1-95 that was burned down a few months ago in Pennsylvania

https://www.yahoo.com/news/live/baltimore-key-bridge-collapse-live-updates-after-container-ship-collision-114855033.html

How is this going to affect everyone's commute and life style until a new bridge can be built?

#2 33 days ago

Very big deal to the area.
    Bridge-GIF.gifBridge-GIF.gif

#3 33 days ago

That cargo ship is huge.

#4 33 days ago
    Quoted from Mank:

That cargo ship is huge.

And yet I'm sure the usual conspiracy idiots are working overtime on this one to come up with a reason why a ship that weighs more than a bridge shouldn't be able to destroy a bridge.

#5 33 days ago

This is going to have a huge impact regionally and especially locally. Aside from commuting, Baltimore is one of the largest ports on the East Coast. It is 100% blocked and shut down until they can clear the bridge out of the water. Thats months easy. Any ships already in port... stuck. Any ships on their way... diverted. On top of that it will be years before that bridge is replaced. Thats a huge impact to 10,000+ terminal/shipping/transportation workers in Baltimore.

#6 33 days ago

I hesitate to post this and I get that it will impact commutes and businesses, but what about the people that were driving across the bridge when it collapsed? Lives changed forever and you’re all worried about cost and cleanup at this point? I mean they are still searching for cars!

#7 33 days ago

I hear what you are saying. But this is a pinball forum. No one is perfect. People post what is on their mind in order to process and deal with such tragic news.

Given the temperature of the water, the current news outlets should be saying it's no longer a rescue and now a "recovery effort".

I heard a report that the barge simply "lost power". Let's assume that's true. Legally, would Grace Ocean/Synergy Group (in Singapore) be financially responsible for replacing the bridge as well as compensation to family members of those that lost loved ones? I am MUCH more interested in THAT than whatever impact this event has on commercial shipping business (my own employer included).

#8 33 days ago

Possible power outage. Cyberhack?
    Regardless, I hope no humans perished.

#9 33 days ago
    Quoted from TomN:

I hesitate to post this and I get that it will impact commutes and businesses, but what about the people that were driving across the bridge when it collapsed? Lives changed forever and you’re all worried about cost and cleanup at this point? I mean they are still searching for cars!

thoughts and prayers

#10 33 days ago
    Quoted from chad:

Possible power outage. Cyberhack?
    Regardless, I hope no humans perished.

No fucking cyber hack

chances are just a negligent operator and a ship that people had reported problems about for years and nobody did anything to fix it.

You know, the usual bullshit. There will be some talk about improved regulation/inspection/enforcement, lots of political finger-pointing (can't wait to hear "who's fault" it is) and we'll all move on in a week.

We just went over this with a train derailment/fire, remember?

#12 33 days ago

Reminds me of when I play bridge builder.

#13 33 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No fucking cyber hack
    chances are just a negligent operator and a ship that people had reported problems about for years and nobody did anything to fix it.
    You know, the usual bullshit. There will be some talk about improved regulation/inspection/enforcement, lots of political finger-pointing (can't wait to hear "who's fault" it is) and we'll all move on in a week.
    We just went over this with a train derailment/fire, remember?

I never said it was Hacking LEVI.

It is very possible.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/27/hackers-can-now-bring-cargo-ships-and-planes-to-a-grinding-halt.html

#14 33 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And yet I'm sure the usual conspiracy idiots are working overtime on this one to come up with a reason why a ship that weighs more than a bridge shouldn't be able to destroy a bridge.

I already read online that DEI was to blame.

#15 33 days ago

They've been reporting the ship lost power and if you watch the video's you can see all lights go out and then back on more than once. I'm hoping that the people missing will be okay but it's very grim at this point, water temp not to mention all that steel going down. I'd also heard them saying they didn't think anyone went down in a vehicle but there are vehicles with flashing lights plainly visible that belonged to crews doing bridge maintenance at that time. Have to say some prayers for the families who are left in limbo for now.

#16 33 days ago

They are construction workers from what they are saying. One that was rescued is the state inspector. He gave her the names of the people that are missing. He said that he knows that they were on break and in their trucks at the time that this happened. So at least they can still possibly be rescued because they were in their trucks but it looks grim.

#17 33 days ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I already read online that DEI was to blame.

Who do you think was on the crew of a ship flagged in Singapore?

#18 33 days ago

Gonna be one hell of a insurance claim on this one

#19 33 days ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

On top of that it will be years before that bridge is replaced.

Assuming that all the engineering was completed and all of the girders and beams and other building materials were ready and available, how long would it take to build that bridge?

I wonder if ferry boats are going to have to be procured.

#20 33 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Assuming that all the engineering was completed and all of the girders and beams and other building materials were ready and available, how long would it take to build that bridge?
    I wonder if ferry boats are going to have to be procured.

I'd expect years for a new bridge.

Ferry's won't help. There is already a tunnel nearby, but you just effectively doubled traffic through that tunnel, which was already slow, and now some cargo has to go the long way around Baltimore. The biggest issue is that bridge is now blocking the entire harbor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #21 33 days ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'd expect years for a new bridge.
    Ferry's won't help. There is already a tunnel nearby, but you just effectively doubled traffic through that tunnel, which was already slow, and now some cargo has to go the long way around Baltimore. The biggest issue is that bridge is now blocking the entire harbor. [quoted image]

"About 31,000 vehicles a day use the bridge, which equals 11.3 million vehicles per year, according to the Maryland Transportation Authority."

So, if you live in Hawkins Point and work in Sparrow's Point you are now looking at a 30 ? mile commute along with 31000 other vehicles? What would that be? An extra 2 hours per day to work and another 2 hours to get home?

#22 33 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

"About 31,000 vehicles a day use the bridge, which equals 11.3 million vehicles per year, according to the Maryland Transportation Authority."
    So, if you live in Hawkins Point and work in Sparrow's Point you are now looking at a 30 ? mile commute along with 31000 other vehicles? What would that be? An extra 2 hours per day to work and another 2 hours to get home?

Also note that it is currently

Google Maps says 43 extra minutes... 1 hour if you avoid tolls. You are also taking your life into your own hands driving through that part of Baltimore.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #23 33 days ago

There's an understatement...

Screenshot_20240326_100240_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240326_100240_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    #24 33 days ago

Prayers to all involved and happiness for the 2 people I hear they found alive in the water.

#26 33 days ago

No statement from (Buttigieg)? Whatta shocker.

#27 33 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

And what are your expectations?

For once it would be nice to see the people unite to fix a common problem rather than finding sound bites to tear us further apart.

Politics has nothing to do with this accident. The ship lost power.

What the people in the Baltimore region need is the problem resolved as quickly as possible.

I wish our country worked together, like it use to.

#29 33 days ago

I live at the other end of the Chesapeake from Baltimore and drive across multiple spans on a daily basis. This is the stuff of nightmares.

#30 33 days ago

No, but where you intend to take it is the likely issue.

Hating on people doesn't resolve issues.

#31 33 days ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

No, but where you intend to take it is the likely issue.
    Hating on people doesn't resolve issues.

Yeah Pinstein's "what? Liddle ole me?!" little stinker routine is ridiculous, considering he's frequently moderated for trying to start OT political fights.

We are on to you buddy!

#32 33 days ago

Transparent & Boring as usual

#33 33 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Re-read what you initially wrote.

It is more than evident the road you wanted to travel.

Social media has a few people pushing out conspiracy theories already.

#34 33 days ago

RIP to the construction crew working the night shift.

#35 33 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

Whatta shocker!

He issued a statement 12 hours ago, and was in Baltimore at a presser over an hour ago. Any other complaints or dumb rhetorical "I'm only asking" questions?
    pt (resized).jpgpt (resized).jpg

#36 33 days ago

Horrible outcome for the workers on the bridge. At least they were able to get traffic stopped at the last possible minute.

I believe this is the only crossing in that area that is hazmat approved, so truck drivers are going to be in detour hell for years.

Hopefully the replacement span will be constructed similar to the new Gordie Howe bridge...with the support structures on land so they cannot be hit. The span that fell was around 1200', and the new Howe span is over 2500'.

This bridge always gave me the heebie jeebies going over it, same with the longer bay bridge going to the eastern shore. Ive done a cruise that went under it, and its surreal feeling when you are on the top deck and see how close the ship comes to the structure above.

If you want to hear some emergency professionals doing an A+ job, listen to the radio log of the dispatcher and the command structure as the call evolves. The call came in as a car in the water initially. These folks train for these situations rigorously, and its impressive to hear how cool and calmly they communicate when it matters most.

#38 32 days ago

The Federal Govt. is picking up the entire tab to replace this bridge.

Coming straight from the top.

The Army Corp of Engineers is tasked to clear the waters.

#40 32 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm guessing I should be angry.

Or happy....? I'll wait for the complaints.

#42 32 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Coming straight from the top.
    The Army Corp of Engineers is tasked to clear the waters.

Yes I heard that but am sure they will get the money back later from the ship owner like he said doesn't have time it will be rebuilded as soon as possible

#43 32 days ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes I heard that but am sure they will get the money back later from the ship owner like he said doesn't have time it will be rebuilded as soon as possible

Not necessarily. A tanker truck full of gasoline tipped over in the middle of a major interchange a few years back and torched like 2-3 bridges. The state paid everything up front to keep the project moving and the truckers insurance maxed out at a million. They didnt bother to try to collect beyond that. The same could very well happen in this case as well.

On the flipside, Norfolk Southern is over 2 billion into East Palistine repairs and costs.

#44 32 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm guessing I should be angry.
    Or happy....? I'll wait for the complaints.

The bridge is too important to sit idle while insurance companies waste time trying to shift blame.

Quoted from Williampinball:

I'm guessing the U.S. Govt. has enough tools in its toolbox to get the ship owners and insurance to pay up. No ship can come into U.S. waters without approval.

#45 32 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The bridge is too important to sit idle while insurance companies waste time trying to shift blame.

I'm guessing the U.S. Govt. has enough tools in its toolbox to get the ship owners and insurance to pay to pay up. No ship can come into U.S. waters without approval.

Yuppers must be done asap and worry about that later

#46 32 days ago

Not to make light of this all but how many Haggis machines were on there? I kid!

Watching that bridge fold was horrible. Already hate bridges. Now, a little bit more

#47 32 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I think the alternative was that the State government would pay for cleanup and a new bridge, rather than the federal government.
    There will, however, still undoubtedly be much blame shifting about potential fines, reimbursment, and civil lawsuits.

#48 32 days ago
    Quoted from TahoeTony:

Not to make light of this all but how many Haggis machines were on there? I kid!
    Watching that bridge fold was horrible. Already hate bridges. Now, a little bit more

You kid, but I think in terms of what classic cars were destroyed in the California fires, etc. One woman that was burned out in the Texas fires lost a house full of antiques.

#49 32 days ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

I wish our country worked together, like it use to.

We do and will over coming days and weeks.
    Sorry to hear this news, prayers for victim’s families.

#50 32 days ago

Get the beer and popcorn and wait for it

There are 250 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baltimore-bridge-collapse- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.