IMG_7434 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7433 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7432 (resized).jpeg
Spike2-PDB (resized).jpg
PXL_20231201_115529225 (resized).jpg
CDE_Stubby_Caps (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 months ago

So, Stern has recently shipped a fair number of machines across many titles (recent Maiden, Godzilla, Foo, Venom, and Bond 60th are confirmed to have machines with this issue in the wild) that excessively click before they start booting. Here's one (extreme at around 40 clicks) example of what that is like at boot on the affected machines:

The clicking is coming from the power supply, but after extensive investigation (documented in the Foo Fighters owner's thread where this started), the real culprit turned out to be the capacitors on the Power Distribution Board (or PDB). I've numbered the problematic caps on the PDB here:

PDB numbering (resized).jpgPDB numbering (resized).jpg

The caps are made by Cornell Dubilier Electronics (CDE) and are rated at 10,000uf with 20% tolerance. The reason they're suddenly starting to click when they never did before is somewhere in late 2021, CDE changed the makeup of the caps inside. Early (maybe mid) 2021 and before versions of the same caps are 1.4oz. Late 2021, and all 2022 and forward are 1.7oz. The heavier caps have crappier performance, with at least 50% of the ones I tested hanging out at the bottom end of the tolerance with 8500uf or less (MANY in the 8200-8300uf range).

The problem with low-spec caps below 8500uf is the meanwell power supply apparently thinks there's a short when they charge up too quickly, pulling more power in a burst at boot and it kicks in their protection circuit. That's why you hear that relay clicking on and off in the power supply (officially called "hiccup mode" by Meanwell) when the game is turned on. Since that's where the sound is coming from, people think the power supply is the problem, but the power supply is working as designed. The newer CAPS on the PDB are underperforming relative to Stern's engineering assumptions when the PDB was designed, causing the power supply to make the clicking until the caps finally charge up. Inrush (the surge of power at boot) from the massive capacitance Stern built on the PDB exceeds the max temporary draw for the power supply. With the older caps the inrush was low enough that it didn't pull too hard and trigger the power supply safety circuit, but the new material inside the same CDE caps changed the inrush peak so now it's over in many cases, causing clicking while the power supply tries to deal with the boot surge.

Figuring out what caps you have is key. On the top of each cap there's a 4 digit code pressed into the plastic disc. The first two numbers are the year, the second two are the week of the year that cap was made, and a "P" to denote that this is a polarized cap, so install orientation matters. 22xxP and some 21xxP with numbers for the xx over 40 are ALL suspect with about 50% of the caps at or below 8500uf tested on a 10,000uf cap. Given that you have to have THREE >8500uf caps on the board for it not to click, your odds of hitting on the right side of that 2022 lot 50% three times are 12.5% - not good. 2236P is more likely to have a better than 50% pool of good caps, but 2241P and 2245P are pretty uniformly awful. ALL the early 21xx caps I tested were well over 9,000uf, most 9500uf or above, so GREAT performance, no power supply clicking. 2119P is the lot I have most often, all great, zero duds like 2022 has lots of. EDIT: I received some 2141P caps, so late 2021, and they are also heavier at 1.7oz and have lower spec performance at about 8600-8700uf for the ones I tested, so the material change seems to have happened late in 2021, not 2022. Early 2021 lot caps are still the ones to get.

If you have excessive clicking at boot (I would call that 5 or more clicks - some people have had 50 or more, and some so many the game NEVER booted), I would pursue a warranty claim with Stern for another PDB. It doesn't appear that they are pre-testing the replacements they send out, so you may get another click-causing board, but persist. For some reason Stern is ALSO sending a new power supply in some cases. This is COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY since the problem IS NOT on the power supply, despite the fact that the power supply is clicking. If this happens to you, only replace the PDB and that should do the trick (unless you're unlucky enough to get ANOTHER click-causing PDB as a replacement - it's happened).

Once you get the replacement PDB installed, give it a few days of power cycles. It's not uncommon for the first one or two or maybe more to not click and it seems like problem fixed, but then it starts clicking again.

If you cannot get satisfaction from Stern, or you have the skills and just don't want to hassle with them, you can 100% fix this yourself by replacing the caps with the known good early 2021 lot caps. DO NOT get them from Mouser or Digikey - I ordered from both in the investigation phase and got late 2021 and 2022 lot caps from both. I found a distributor that has a few hundred early 2021 lot caps (2119P). I've ordered a few dozen from them and all are early 2021 (EDIT: As of 10/24/23 they're now shipping later 2021 caps). Best part is, it's $10 plus $8 shipping to get all three caps you need - cheap. Here's the link:

https://us.rs-online.com/product/cornell-dubilier/slpx103m063e9p3/70189937/?m=70189937

These Caps are all ok for the PDB, according to Stern:
Samyoung RDC63VN10000M (Samyoung is a garbage cap company, so not sure I trust these)
Cornell Dubilier SLPX103M063H7P3 (shorter, fatter version of one Stern uses)
Cornell Dubilier SLPX103M063E9P3 (the one Stern uses)
Surge / Lelon LS-103M1J- - -3050S (haven't been able to lay hands on one of these)

Note that the caps are pretty hard to get desoldered and off the board. I had to crank up the power on my weller to almost max temp and use donor solder to get them off. Definitely a danger zone for accidentally lifting pads if you leave a super hot iron on too long, which would multiply the problem, so be careful. This is probably a good time to break out that hakko desoldering gun if you have it (equipped with a larger than stock tip).

Also note that the right side of the PDB has live 120v power, so UNPLUG your pin before attempting to remove the PDB board. Switch off isn't enough.

Whichever route you go, good luck. The good news is, the clicking CAN definitely be fixed, one way or another.

#3 10 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Thanks for your very informative post. This makes me want to wait a few months before I buy one of these. I was gonna get one this coming week...

I think you'll probably be fine. If it were extremely widespread I think you'd see a lot more complaining. Right now it's at what I would call a simmer. Stern engineering is definitely aware of it, so hopefully they'll have their board vendor pre-screen the caps to make sure they're >8500uf before they put them on boards.

I did OK with the NIB new run Maiden Prem I just got (Edit: Not so fast - the person I sold it to started in with the clicks, up to 30. I am fixing their PDB), and my FF LE didn't have this issue, either. I had to have someone SEND me their click-causing board to do the original investigation. I also have a Venom Pro and Premium coming.

Buy your pin.

1 week later
#9 10 months ago
Quoted from SylentK:

For anyone who needs to know, Pablo at Stern for told me the part number is 520-8096-00 for my GZ machine.

Note that Stern doesn't seem to be pre-screening replacement boards, so you might get a PDB that still causes clicks in exchange.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

$75 at PBL for those out of warranty or unable to get STern to make it right under warranty.

Note that PBL stock also potentially causes clicks. I got one from them with the same low-spec cap lot that made the power supply click (until I replaced the caps).

#13 10 months ago

Edited the post. Received some late 2021 caps (2141P) and they are the heavier (1.7oz), crappier performance ones. So the change of materials that made the caps perform worse happened sometime in late 2021. Early 2021 caps are all fine.

#16 10 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

PinMonk
Thanks for the heads up.
The cap supplier linked has very good prices. I assume you've found them to be reliable?
Also, the part linked is a 63V part. What was the voltage rating for the OEM part?
Thanks!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

I've done 3 boards so far and the 2119P 2021 caps from the link I provided solved the clicking on the power supply for all three. All of the replacement caps tested out at over 9000uf before install, so nowhere near the danger zone. None of the boards have slipped back into causing the clicking again.

The cap I linked is the exact part from the same manufacturer as the ones on Stern's PDB. Same capacitance, same voltage, same temperature rating, etc. Yeah, the prices at RS are markedly better than anyone else, which is a nice surprise given that they have just the caps needed for this fix. Makes this repair a very reasonable $10 plus $8 shipping (if you only get 3, I bought many so I have a stockpile).

#18 10 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

From when we all started to discuss this all of Your arguments made sense but I had some doubts.When Stern gave me a PS and PDB
I thought well why give both.Then its down to 1 but the wrong 1.Only a PS whats the thinking on this I wonder.Did they find something else ?
Anyway You were right it seems.

Yeah, I wasn't doubting my results, but when that one pinsider reported only getting a power supply to replace from Stern warranty support, I was thinking the solution may get more complicated if it could be the power supply OR the PDB OR Both. But in the end, it's the PDB. Keeping it simple.

No idea why Stern warranty support is sending out just power supplies when I KNOW Stern Engineering knows the problem is with the PDB.

#20 10 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Great work Pinmonk
I don't have any skills in this area, so just a random idea but I haven't heard of any issues in Australia - could it be a 50hertz versus a 60 hertz power supply thing by chance?

I have no idea. It may be that meanwell's power supply operates differently in 230v/50hz mode. It will be an interesting data point if the clicking isn't happening outside of North America.

#22 10 months ago
Quoted from qbass187:

You’re 100% correct. The PS stopped the clicking for roughly 2 days before it started again. Stern is sending out a new PDB and I will be checking the caps to see what the numbers are!

It's not impossible to get a PDB with 22xxP series caps that doesn't cause clicking, it just is more likely to have issues than a 21xxP cap because of whatever manufacturer change to the cap's composition was that made them heavier and crappier. But I stocked up on 2119P caps so I have enough on hand to handle any ones I may end up with that cause the power supply to click.

I'm sure Stern will get this worked out, either by changing cap suppliers or by forcing the supplier to screen their caps for ones that fall above 8500uf. It will just take time to filter out.

#25 10 months ago

Might be a few options for them if they actually choose to solve this problem: They could they choose a different Power Supply with more startup load tolerance to allow the different charging times on the caps? Or change the design of the PDB to have a regulator/buffer between the caps and the PS, or re-layout the PCB for th distribution board to use a totally different capacitor with higher specs. Might be other approaches too, but it starts with a desire to fix the 'part-time' problem...

Power supply has proven to be reliable. This is an issue of a manufacturer changing the cap construction (likely without telling Stern) for the caps used on the PDB. Fix the caps, fix the problem. No need to jump to an unproven new power supply.

#27 10 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I just unboxed a FF pro that has the 2241P caps. Works today, does that mean in a few weeks it won't, what should I be watching for?

Check out the video in the OP. That's an extreme case of like 40 clicks. If you eventually have less than 5 clicks, I wouldn't be worried about it. A couple clicks is normal.

#29 10 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

So far, so good. One day old, several power cycles, no clicks. I really appreciate your knowledge on this.

Glad to help. I know i'd be pissed if Stern sent me a NIB that was clicking excessively and support told me it was "normal" with no way offered to fix it back to ACTUAL normal except maybe another PDB that might have the same issue.

Happy to provide some options for people in this situation (and knowing I will eventually lose the Stern lottery and end up with a clicker myself that I now can fix).

I have a Bond 60th PDB coming in that is causing the clicks. Interested to know what the caps read on a $20k machine. If Stern isn't pre-screening PDBs for their highest-end machines, they just don't care.

#32 10 months ago
Quoted from Planet866:

Have you measured the ESR of the different capacitors? I'm wondering if the newer date codes are not within spec.

Capacitance. It gave me the info I needed to sort caps by which would cause clicking and which wouldn't.

#34 10 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

One wrinkle I haven't seen discussed...I have a PDB that DOESN'T click when I turn on the machine first thing in the morning after it's been off all night. But it DOES click a few times on boot if I cycle the power quickly during the day after fixing something etc. What could cause this?

Since it's not clear what the core issue is, just symptoms and the low spec caps somehow affecting that, it's hard to say. All I can guess is electrical conductivity changes with temperature, so cold vs warm probably has something to do with it.

#38 9 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

So I posted in the Foo Fighters thread but this is PDB related so here goes- Brand NIB FF Pro I just got and I go to connect a new Stern shaker motor and it runs continuously upon power up but before boot. I have been in conversation with Stern and they advised me to try a different PDB from a different Spike 2 machine if I could since I have a couple of other pins. I said ok and noticed that the PDB has a cracked and mismounted component (appears to have been damaged during assembly) and I forwarded a photo. They will have to send me a new board. Hopefully this will fix the problem. On the plus side, the FF works fine otherwise, no clicks on power up.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Doesn't look like it broke during assembly, it looks like that resistor blew from a short or overload. Hopefully the problem isn't somewhere else and it blows the resistor on the new PDB again (or you don't get a click-causing PDB in exchange).

#40 9 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That's interesting. Because to me it looks misaligned and I thought that the crack was from too much force applied during assembly. However it got damaged, do you think this could cause the problem I am experiencing?

I don't have a schematic, so I'm not sure where R5 goes on the PDB. Someone posted a partial schematic somewhere, but I didn't save it and now I don't know where I saw it. If the shaker motor is constantly running, something is shorted open. Question is what. I would guess a transistor (there's an IFR540Z surface mount one RIGHT next to the shaker motor connector, which would be my prime suspect in this case), but...

If you have a multimeter you could test that transistor to see if it's shorted open. Alternately, do you have another Spike2 machine? You could swap the coin door interface board and see if that fixes your shaker problem. If it does, the problem is on that board and the cracked PDB resistor is unrelated.

It's pretty common that when a resistor or transistor blows it cracks the casing (sometimes blows it completely off). That looks like a blown resistor to me. It's surface mount, so unlikely to have enough force at install to crack the casing that way.

#42 9 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Very keen observation I didn't know what that part was. I did actually swap cabinet boards from my Mando and the problem persisted. So it is something else. I will be following up with Stern on Monday. They should at least send a new PDB out, so we shall see if that fixes it...

Something before that transistor could be telling it to open, then. Without a schematic, can't really guess. Will be interesting if that PDB swap fixes it.

#45 9 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

D-Gottlieb
Could I trouble you for a better lit picture of this board? I’d love to add a pic to the PInWiki.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

I processed one of his pics. Is this enough?

Spike2-PDB.jpgSpike2-PDB.jpg
#47 9 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

That’s pretty good until we can get a better original. Thank you.
What is better?
It’s better when the part labels can be read in every part.

Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

Unfortunately the cracked resistor means this one will never be "better" since the crack blew out the part number so all numbers will never be visible as-is If you just need a clean PDB pic, I can take one for you.

#52 9 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

After dealing with Stern sending me just the power supply (which made no difference), I received my new PDB and installed it. Coincidentally, the new board has the same lot number on the suspect capacitors (2245P). I was skeptical that there wouldn’t be any clicking, but after 2 days and about 10 boots, no clicks. Fingers crossed it continues. Maybe Stern is testing the boards now, or the odds worked out in my favor. We’ll see.

If it's going to click usually it's within 2-3 days of a PDB swap, so you're almost home free.

My 50% of the late 21xx and all of 22xx caps being below the 8500uf threshold is based on a small sample of caps I've personally tested (probably 30-ish). So the percentage that are ok, may be 60% or even 70% across all the ones made, increasing your odds of getting a good PDB with 22xx caps. Given that I'm working from the outside, I don't have all the information. And, maybe Stern IS finally pre-screening PDB boards. That'd be a step in the right direction!

Fingers crossed your swap holds!

#56 9 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Shouldn’t have jinxed myself. On power up tonight, over 40 clicks on the replacement PDB. Back to the distributor to try again I guess. Grrrrr

Boo. Hopefully Stern warranty eventually starts pre-testing these PDBs before sending them out. They know what the issue is, they just need the will to do the screening.

#59 9 months ago

It still feels like they need to redesign the board. Even if they pre-screen, what are they going to do with the boards that fail? From a manufacturing standpoint, the pre-screen is a short term and customer satisfaction approach. Their cost of materials will rise if they have to add 10-20% more to account for a high level of PDB failed units. They need a design that just works because it accounts for tolerances, etc.
In the short term… test each board. In the longer term…. new board design.

Board worked fine for like 6 years (I don't remember if Spike1 used the same board) with no problems. When the caps changed, the problems started.

But, Spike3 is imminent, so maybe there will be a new setup. It's just not really necessary to throw the board out when it's been ok for years. Just solve the cap problem and pre-screen boards until that is fixed.

#61 9 months ago
Quoted from GPS:

I hate surface mount!!

The problematic caps are through hole.

But surface mount is clearly the way everything will be, so I'm going to have to break down and get a station to work on them, too. Been putting it off...

#63 9 months ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

Do it!!!! We need as many as we can to help keep these pins alive.

Haha, I mean for my machines. There are already pinsiders that can do board level repair much better than me, like ChrisHibler and @borygard. Both of them already offer node board repair service.

1 week later
#67 9 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Stern sent me this today.
[quoted image]

2245 (45th week of 2022 build) capacitor date code, so still possible to click because they're the newer, heavier, crappier material inside the cap. Does it click excessively?

#70 9 months ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

Stern sent me a replacement PDB, received yesterday. Caps have 2241P code. It’s clicks 5-6 times at startup just like the 2245P that came in the game. Sent them a message back saying the issue persists. I put my PDB from my Godzilla with a 2145P code into the Foo and no clicks.
I just ordered the capacitors from the link you provided on the first post. They had a field for request so I put I would like caps with early 21 date.
Hopefully it still gets resolved by Stern, but I want to be prepared just in case they don’t resolve it soon. I don’t do board work, but will probably try to find someone local or maybe find someone attending Cleveland Pinball show in a couple weeks that is doing board repair.

I would say 3-5 clicks is about normal. Problem is these 2022 caps can turn from 5 clicks to 15 clicks in weeks for some reason.

The RS company I linked in the OP has only ever sent me 2119P, so I think that's all they have until their original 500 run out. They've around 350 left now. I stocked up on a few dozen so I can fix NIB machines I get with the issue and don't have to bother with the Stern warranty lottery.

I don't know if ChrisHibler or Borygard will be at the Cleveland show, but if they are, I know Rob often does board repair at shows, so that would be ideal.

2 weeks later
#82 8 months ago
Quoted from drum412:

Well my June build date Godzilla Premium had the clicking. My situation, is it would always have atleast 4-6clicks on startup before boot. But I had 2 times where it just kept clicking.....over 30 seconds at which point I would turn it off. Then next startup, 4-6 clicks and bootup. So I contacted stern, and after about a month I got the replacement board. Weird thing is when I put the new board on, it was still clicking 4-6 times before boot, so I restarted the machine about 6 times that first day with the new board, and 4-6 clicks each time........Then next day, and now for the past few days, it's been starting as it should, just 1 click and boot. But now I noticed the door switch no longer works to cut playfield power. So I compared the boards, and the new board they sent me is missing like half the components??? Now I also have a Foo Premium, that works perfect, so I tried that board in the godzilla and it works perfect and the door switch works. So I just e-mailed stern about the current situation, so hopefully I hear back from them in the next few days. But those missing components.....i don't know if there's other things that might not work properly now....other than the disabled door switch. So the clicking original Godzilla board had 2245P code, and the new board had a completely different brand of cap on it. And the Foo board that's been working perfect in both machines has a 2227P code.

Wow, that's crazy about all the missing components.

Can you post some pics from the side of the new/different caps so I can try to figure out what they are?

#85 8 months ago
Quoted from drum412:

[quoted image]

Samyoung is a low-tier Korean cap that got a really bad reputation for swelled/leaking caps in the capacitor stolen formulation plague in the mid 2000s. I hadn't heard of them in more than a decade since then as they were to be avoided at all costs. It'll be interesting to see if Stern made a wise or foolish choice giving them a shot.

I'll try to get some in to test, but after a cursory look, they seem to be hard to get in the US.

#92 8 months ago
Quoted from Joshjurg:

As an affected game owner ('23 GZ, 0-10 clicks on boot), how concerned do I need to be about this issue?
I feel like if it's something that won't damage the machine over it's lifetime and won't impact my ability to play, I can probably live with it.

Anything over 5 clicks and I'd ask for a replacement. The problem is, the clicking is the power supply failsafe kicking in - 10x at boot is NOT normal. And we have no idea why the materials in the late 2021 and later caps is performing so badly and if they'll get worse. I'd get yours performing correctly while it's still under warranty. We ALSO don't know the long-term consequences on the power supply this is stressing. Will this PDB with bad caps cause it to fail earlier? We don't know.

#94 8 months ago
Quoted from ktuhde:

I have now received one replacement PDB and two replacement power supplies from Stern anfter I put in a service ticket. All have the same result of the original board and power supply. 5-6 clicks at startup. I don’t know if this will ever be a major issue or cause a failure in the future.
I just went ahead and ordered new capacitors from the company linked in post #1. The caps I received have a 2138 code. Im not comfortable doing board work, so luckily I found a local pinsider to switch the caps for me. Since the new caps have been installed on the PDB the pin starts up with the normal one click. At least for now this seems to have solved the issue.

With 5-6 clicks you were right on the edge as far as where you decide to get a warranty replacement or not. Glad the 2021 caps worked for you. 38 is late in the year, so might be close to when they changed the material to make them that made them crappier, but sounds like you ended up on the right side of that. All the caps I got from the link I posted were 2119 dates, which is why I hoarded a bunch (fortunately they were cheap) to make sure I didn't have to deal with clicking if I got a machine with the issue.

Sounds like Stern is trying other cap suppliers, but the one they're shipping with right now doesn't inspire great confidence since they had the bulging and leaky caps with a bunch of lower-tier manufacturers working from the stolen cap formula about 15 years ago. We'll see...

#96 8 months ago

So i guess the 'redesign' I mentioned previously happened? They simply removed a bunch of the parts that interacted with the power supply failsafe feedback lines. Not the redesign I had envisioned, but some power supply electrical engineer 'bought off' on the ECO.

But the parts that are missing are for the door switch, according to the schematic...??

I marked the stuff from that section of the schematic with green dots and they're all in the door switch support area...

revised pdb (resized).jpgrevised pdb (resized).jpgannotated-revised PDB (resized).jpgannotated-revised PDB (resized).jpg
So are they not checking for door switch state anymore?

#98 8 months ago
Quoted from mikespins:

I suggest you contact Stern and see if this is a mistake. How can they not check for door state anymore? Seems like a safety issue.

They ceased checking the door state before, but last time they just didn't ship with interlock switches until the hatemail got too deep and they put it back.

#108 8 months ago
Quoted from drum412:

Another minor update: Was just told now, that after speaking with their engineers, they think the root problem is the power supplies not supplying the proper initial power on start up, from newer batches...... Although they are not serial numbered, so they have no way of tracking what batch they came from. Although he said they will send me a power supply that they know is from an older batch. I replied with info from this thread, and said if you want me to try the power supply swap I will. Their reasoning is sensible and could be true, but PinMonks tracking and finding these low capacitances seems to be more plausible. So I guess we'll see what happens. Getting the feeling I'm going to have to order myself some caps to swap myself.

Total BS. You can put a new bad PDB in an older Spike 2 machine and THAT power supply starts clicking. It's been done. No idea why Stern engineering can't do this test themselves with the breakroom pins.

It's the PDB.

#111 8 months ago

Dissappointing that your straight-forward test-bed investigation was ignored by their R&D team.... who should have been able to recreate the situation themselves. Feels very much like they are missing the methodology for problem solving over there...

They're aware of it all. The hard part that I don't have a specific answer for is "why." I know the cap manufacturer changed the materials in mid 2021 and all the caps after that perform worse, but I don't know why that is. But jumping to Korean Samyoung caps as a replacement feels like out of the frying pan into the fire given that company's history cutting cap corners.

Pinball IS hard.

#122 8 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Look at the bottom line - the short circuit test. i.e. Extrapolating that as being similar to big caps w/a low ESR when they are charging up.

Same here. I do have a Foo w/2 clicks. Just playing arm chair engineer here, looking at what I can gleam from a limited sheet. I did ask PinMonk to measure ESR (old cap vs. new), but it looked like we ran up against the limit of his test equipment.

Yeah, my LCR meter didn't really do ESR, but I'll be able to borrow a dedicated ESR tester shortly and will check the heavier and lighter caps to see if there's a difference.

#124 8 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

You'll definitely need to cal the leads or test fixture out to measure 0.040 (max) ohms.
[quoted image]
Getting a little bit more technical, here's the plots (vs. frequency) for the CDE cap that shows measured ESR, among other things.
[quoted image]

The unit seems to have a self-calibration mode, so that will be ok.

#126 8 months ago

Okay tested a bunch of crappy 2022 CDE caps and the benchmark 2119P ones that always test good on a dedicated ESR tester.

SURPRISE! ESR is the same on both - .02 Ohm, which is apparently good since acceptable ESR for 10000uF 63v is .04 Ohm. The tester did state that it gives an absolute ESR and does not judge the REACTANCE of any specific cap. So as of now, the only two things we know are different after mid 2021 caps is:

Weight (1.4oz = good, 1.7oz = bad)
Capacitance (>8500=good, <=8500=bad)

I don't know how much the reactance affects this issue, but it's predicted by the low capacitance in the tests of the bad caps. For example, an 8500uF cap at 100Hz would apparently be .187 Ohm reactance. The same model cap with 9500uF at 100Hz would be .167 Ohm reactance.

Not sure what else to measure to find a difference. I know how to spot caps that will cause clicking (weight is a maybe, Capacitance below 8500uF is a definitely), but I still don't have the "why" in all this. I just suspect is poorer materials in the heavier caps from mid 2021 onward, but it's only a guess since I haven't come up with anything else.

#128 8 months ago
Quoted from drum412:

Well I went ahead and ordered those caps from RS the other day and dang they ship quick, just got them today. They all have dates codes of "2145p". So I have them on hand to try out next week, too busy this weekend. I have a cheap amazon capacitance meter, and all the new caps tested around 8900-9000uF. I didn't have time to desolder the old ones yet, so I won't get a chance to test those until early next week.

They had around 500 caps when I first posted that link, but are now close to only 300 left, so they must have run through their early 2021 stock and are now into late 2021. I know that I got 2136P elsewhere and they were the heavier, crappier caps, so the changeover happened somewhere between the 19th week (2119) and the 36th week (2136) of 2021. I just don't know exactly where.

That said, if you're testing at 8900-9000uF, you got perfectly workable caps that are well over the 8500 cutoff zone, so you should be fine.

#130 8 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

What meter did you use to measure?

It's a dedicated ESR tester - ESR70Gold. Calibrated it before testing and did it on a bunch of the 1.4oz and 1.7oz caps. The result was consistent.

#133 8 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That is kind of slick for the money. But it does look like the resolution is x.xx? i.e. no third digit to the right of the decimal.

Yeah, two digits are all you get. Should be enough though. I don't think ESR is the problem if the difference between them is down to 3 digits past the decimal.

#139 8 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

That's poor form, Stern. Lol

He got a free spare $75 PDB. I'd be happy to have them send me one. Yeah, the situation sucks, but a free board's a free board. The caps to fix them are cheap.

#144 8 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Yeah, messing something up is my main concern. I’ll be happy to get past this issue.

I don't think it would mess anything up on the bootup side. It just will probably bleed the capacitor reserves too low for proper functioning in power-intensive modes like multiball once you're playing a game. Houdini had this issue until they added a capacitor board to buffer the power. Everything got very weak when a lot was going on.

Trying this is on my to-do list, but I need a board that causes clicks enough to see the difference once I've done it. I have a couple new ones I haven't tried yet. If one of them causes enough clicking, I'll try it.

#146 8 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Finally got some good info from Meanwell!
[quoted image]

A> We now have a name for the clicking - "Hiccup mode"
B> No way Stern is coughing up 30-40% more money for the higher-spec HRP-600N3-48 power supply.
C> However it WOULD give them 124W more power output for more BoM toys.

Nice that Meanwell got back to you with some clarification about the issue from their end.

#149 8 months ago

Feels like a $150 Stern mod in the making... especially for anyone wishing to add lots of mods to their machine.

Seems like way overkill though, especially since the machine can't take advantage of the extra power budget AND the power supply is a LOT bigger. Putting in good caps seems like a much more reasonable fix.

#154 8 months ago
Quoted from Propsnsports:

Stern sent me a new board and what do you know , it’s still clicking about 50 times.
Dana

Basically send it back and try again hoping you hit the estimated 12.5% odds of getting a 100% good one, or send one out, paying someone to replace the caps with the known good ones. I've done a few PDBs of mine now and it 100% fixes the issue.

Essentially you have to choose time (repeated free warranty replacements until your luck getting a good one hits) or money (you pay to have the caps replaced). Thanks, Stern.

#156 8 months ago
Quoted from drum412:

So I got the new caps soldered in last Sunday and power supply has been starting perfectly all week, starting the machine atleast 2 times a day. So once again the caps I got from PinMonks link work perfect and were dated as 2145. Also attached some pics of my cheap cap-meter testing both new cap and the bad cap. Also will note like PinMonk said, the bad cap is also heavier in weight. I dont have a micro scale, but could easily feel the weight difference.

I don't know when in 2021 they switched over, because I have 36th week caps that are the heavier, crappier construction. I will say that the 2136's are still usually rating higher than anything in the 2022 run, though. 2119 are the best ones with ratings usually 9500 or above readings.

#158 8 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

My Venom LE is doing this.

That sucks. How many clicks are you getting at boot?

#163 8 months ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Mine venomLE is doing it too, and old pdb board I have from pinball life as a spare does as well, anyone tried putting a wpc thermistor in line to limit the In-rush current? It may actually help the power supply from triggering the cut off relay, if so the caps will charge up faster as they won't be constantly removed from power only to discharge themselves. I'm going to try it if the caps I ordered don't solve the issue after I replace

I wouldn't add more potential failure points to the problem. Pre-screening the caps to try to get them from the "good" batches before mid 2021 (or worst case, testing the heavier crappier caps so you only use ones above 8500uf) will absolutely solve the problem. 100% success to my knowledge. I'd just do that and call it good.

#165 8 months ago
Quoted from daveyvandy:

When I first got it maybe only 4 or 5.
After software update (probably a coincidence) it is probably around 20 clicks.

Yeah, that's way too many. Time to sign up for the Stern warranty lottery or just have the caps replaced directly with known good ones.

#166 7 months ago

Updated a clicking PDB board this week and tested some 2138P (38th week of 2021) caps that I expected to be the 1.7oz crappy ones, and they were actually the 1.4oz good ones that all tested above 9200uF. So I'm still not sure *exactly* when in 2021 the changeover happened. I only know that 2119Ps are all 1.4oz "good" ones, and 2138P has been the 1.4oz and the crappy 1.7oz, so it may be the time when the production changed over at CDE.

#169 7 months ago
Quoted from BW1029:

I just received my replacement board for 2023 GZ Premium, all 2241 caps. Any advice on the reaplacement or is it basically plug and play straightforward to swap? Hoping this solves the clicking i experienced, which was as high as 20-30 clicks but has since settled around 5 or so clicks on every startup

Swapping the PDB is straightforward. Just make sure the machine is UNPLUGGED as there is live 120V on the right side of the board, even with the power switch off. You need to remove two nuts first, one on the service plug cover next to the fuse, and one on the upper right of the PDB. Then remove the service cover and remove the remaining 3 PDB nuts, unplug everything and make the swap, then reverse the process.

If you end up doing a cap replacement, if you order from the link I provided, they still seem to be sending out 2021 caps, but later in the year. 2119P are the best, in my experience (maybe send a request with your order for that lot) as I've had zero of those test below 9200uF, where some of the 2138Ps I've received have tested 8800uF range (which is still good, but may still cause a handful of clicks).

Cap replacement is straightforward. I've been using a Hakko with a larger tip (the stock tip is too small) and it takes seconds to get all the caps out. With a weller temp controlled soldering station I was using initially it was harder as the solder was stubborn. Just make sure you don't linger on the pads too long and lift the pads off the circuit board.

#171 7 months ago

I ordered some caps from Amazon, a total of 8 to do two boards needing 6. My venom came with a shit PDB and the pinball life spare I had was also shit. Fixed both. 1 out of 8 caps ordered from Amazon was a dud, cost me around 18 bucks todo

What brand? If they were CDE, what lot number(s)?

#173 7 months ago

"Eboxer"?
Eboxer 4Pcs Capacitor 63V 10000uF Electrolytic Capacitor for TV, LCD Monitor, Radio, Stereo, Game, Isolating DC, Coupling, Bypassing, Filtering, etc https://a.co/d/hWsiX9t

I don't know if I'd trust those caps. The amazon listing says the brand is both "Eboxer" and "ASHATA" and neither are brand-name caps, so likely generic chinese junk cap parts of the kind you see resold all over alibaba with no traceable source. The listing is also riddled with errors. AND the price isn't even better than the legit CDE caps I linked in the OP that are $12.52/4. The price diff is still only $4 more if you factor in shipping (assuming the Eboxer/ASHATA was free ship with prime).

#175 7 months ago

Too late, I already bought them, used them, and they work fine. Like I said there was one dud out of 8. I got them in one day too.

I was making the comment for others that may be interested in trying those as well. I know you're already into the beta test for them. Generally, in my experience with no-name Chinese bulk caps sold under a million names, they don't fail up front, but have dramatically shorter lives than more recognizable, traceable, brand name caps. So I would look for issues in 1-3 years. Fortunately, if they leak, the caps are on the bottom of the PDB so they're not leaking all over other components, just the inside of the backbox.

EDIT: I could not find a spec sheet for ASHATA or EBOXER, both of which those caps are sold as. I was looking for the ripple rating, specifically, and came up empty. However, one of the reviews was verifying the concern about the wide variance in quality of those "no-name" caps out of the box:

"Just got all 4 and measured.

C1-9,870uf -1.3%
C2-10,040uf +0.4%
C3-10,350uf +3.5%
C4-11,910uf +19.1%

Total-42,170uf +5.425%"

1 week later
#178 7 months ago
Quoted from aztarac:

So, I bought a JP Premium a few weeks ago with a June 1, 2023 build date. Started clicking a few times at power up several days after I had it set up which eventually increased to as many as 40+ clicks. Contacted my Distributor who put in a ticket with Stern Tech Support. Even after I directly explained the situation and noted this thread, they (Stern) said it was an issue with the PS itself and indicated the issue was resolved with a new PS. So they sent out a new PS.
While that was enroute, I just went ahead and ordered new caps from RS. As an FYI, they charged a $6.00 Service Fee on the order. Guessing they noted the amount of 3 capacitor orders they were receiving and decided to add the fee to new orders ($28.04 with shipping, tax, and service fee). The caps arrived are are marked "2145" on the top. So, later month 2021 caps. I would guess at this point they are out of the early month 2021 caps and anyone placing an order for the remaining stock are going to get late 2021 to early 2022 manufactured caps.
New PS arrived from Stern over the weekend and I installed it. Consistently clicking 3 times at power up. Better than 40+, but issue still not resolved. At this point I will just go ahead and install the 2145 caps on the PDB and see what happens.

The problem is 100% NOT the power supply. Stern knows this. No idea why their warranty dept keeps sending out power supplies.

In mid-late 2021 CDE was switching over to the crappier cap materials. The only way to be sure which ones you have in mid-late 2021 (all 2022 are the crappy materials) is to weigh them. 1.4oz is the older materials that are rock solid. 1.7oz are the newer materials that are inconsistent. You can still have 1.7oz ones that do ok, but it's only a small percentage of them.

#182 7 months ago
Quoted from aztarac:

Thanks - I'll weigh them up this evening and report back.
The response I received from Stern was "3-4 clicks is considered acceptable by the engineers."

Yeah, I'd say anything under 5 is ok with this new normal. Problem is, if you're getting any clicking it can progress over time to more.

#184 7 months ago
Quoted from Mjesposi:

2245’s on my brand new venom LE and getting about 7-10 clicks at startup. Just ordered some caps from the original post in this thread and requested the earliest possible from 2021 and also going to submit a ticket with stern. Not the greatest start with this one between this and the bad opto on the left lock

Stern QA for the win. I think the factory changeover may have introduced more chaos than expected. Hopefully it smooths out.

#187 7 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

Just to close the loop on my saga….I’d ordered the new caps from RS and had some help getting the old caps off my board. New caps are 2145P and weighed 1.5 oz on a postal scale. Old caps were 2245P and 1.9oz.

Sounds like your scale needs to be recalibrated. It's weighing heavy.

Quoted from MRudowsky:

I Installed the 2145P caps myself and put it in the game. I’m a pro now at taking that board in and out. Haven’t had a single click in 6 days. So far, so good.
Tried to remove the caps on my backup PDB myself (I’d bought 6 caps to do both boards) and ended up losing 2 pads. They are tough to get unsoldered and I’m not very experienced, which is why I had someone else do the first board. Used it as a learning experience and learned how to NOT do it.
Fingers crossed I’m done with this problem.
Thanks again to PinMonk for all the info and a solution!

Thanks for posting the update! And yes, I wasn't joking about the risk of lifting pads due to the heat required to remove the caps. If anyone is not sure about their (de)soldering ability, let someone else with more experience do it to save those solder pads.

I think it's great that people are able to diagnose their clicks and fix their PDBs with the instructions provided, it just sucks that Stern is shipping pins out every day of the week now that they know are prone to this problem with no fix seen for months to address it at the source.

#188 7 months ago
Quoted from aztarac:

While that was enroute, I just went ahead and ordered new caps from RS. As an FYI, they charged a $6.00 Service Fee on the order.

Did you request a specific lot of 2021 CDE caps? It may be a service fee to dig through and find the lowest date code you requested...that's all I can think of.

#191 7 months ago
Quoted from john_woods:

PinMonk thanks for the insights and continous follow-up on this topic. Are you, or anyone else on the forums, aware of any new caps that are a good option and can just be bought without checking for an older batch or etc.? I'm not hopeful that RS in the UK will let me ask for a specific batch of 2021 CDE caps and wondering if there's a new option that 'just works'? Thanks

I'm still working to find other caps from reputable manufacturers that just work without specific lot codes - it IS ridiculous that we are scrounging to get back to where we were in 2022 machines.

On the "approved" list, Samyoung has a very bad rep historically, and the Surge / Lelon ones only seem to be available overseas in Asia. I tried the other CDE ones, but they were likely the same questionable material as the taller ones with middling performance, so those are out.

#202 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Did Stern provide any thermal relief on the capacitor pads or is it just a big ground plane with a via in it? Is it the trace on the other side of the board that's making it hard to remove that cap?
Here's an example of a thermal relief pad. Breaks the thermal path to the ground plane, making it easy to remove.
[quoted image]

I don't see anything special about the pads. Here's a pic of one after the caps were removed. Also, this might be a PDB pic for your file, ChrisHibler as the part numbers are all pretty legible.

Stern_Spike2_PDB.jpgStern_Spike2_PDB.jpg

#204 7 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

I don't quite understand the issue here.

Welcome to the club. I don't think anyone knows the root issue at the moment. Just the symptoms and how to fix it with better performing caps.

Quoted from Tuukka:

If the power supply is loaded with much more capacitance than it is designed to handle, of course it goes to current limit and triggers the overcurrent relay while trying to charge the capacitors.
If Stern is trying to increase the momentary current output, they should have used a current limiting series resistor between power supply and the capacitor bank. Or what's better, use a power supply that could handle the required current demand.

The power supply didn't change. The only thing that changed was the capacitor performance, and I don't think Stern knew about the change of materials inside the caps (making them clearly heavier) that made them perform worse. CDE just DID it. Something about the material change in the caps lowered the capacitance to the very bottom end of the tolerance compared to prior version of the same caps that performed near the top of the tolerance range. That is the only differences I've noted - weight (signifying a change of materials in the cap) and very low performance at the bottom of the tolerance range for the newer run caps from CDE. I believe there's some other parameter not yet sussed out that's causing the hiccup mode in the power supply. Still working on it, but I am not an EE, so it's slow going. Stern PAYS EEs, so this should never have made it out of the factory to become an end user problem with an unacceptable Stern "as designed" cover story.

#206 7 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

The better the capacitors are (regarding to ESR) the more they will suck current at startup. So lower grade (high ESR) capacitors would actually be better - but then not delivering the high peak currents.
I suggest removing 1 or 2 of the 3 parallel connected capacitors, and then use coil power settings in setup menu to compensate.

I don't think anyone wants to degrade the machine's coil performance to compensate for lower performance caps. The goal is to understand exactly what's happening and why the caps with the newer lower actual capacitance rating seem to not charge as well as the older caps with the much higher real capacitance rating that don't have the clicking. It seems backwards from what you would expect.

#208 7 months ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

OK. I was just trying to explain why the clicking happens and how to prevent it.
If the power supply is not adequate for powering coils, then no amount of extra capacitors is going to fix it.

It's the same power supply that has been perfectly adequate in spike prem/le machines for about 7 years, so thats not the issue. The material change in caps on the power distribution board external to the power supply that happened this year have caused the problems. The question is why? Still working on that one.

#210 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I pinged Meanwell and posted their response in the thread, but I'll paste it again below.
My take as an electrical engineer: Stern (or whoever designed the boards) unknowing loaded the power supply with too much external capacitance but it somehow worked and they never gave it a 2nd thought. Just my take on it and I could be full of it. Plus it didn't help that Meanwell didn't publish the max cap loading the supply could handle in their spec sheet. Maybe Stern some got info from Meanwell that 30,000uF was OK - who knows. I've asked in the thread if someone could do a 2 capacitor test and it might happen at some point. But I don't blame people for being apprehensive about try that - they just want a pin working, not being part of a science experiment. But it would be an interesting test.
Whether it's a good cap or a bad cap, I suspect the in-rush with the low ESR finally caught up to them (see the ESR plot below). The ESR numbers are already crazy low and any small change in the ESR probably pushed the supply over the edge.
I have a clamp on current probe for a scope, but it's only good for 65A (probably not enough).
Just my 2 cents.

That HRP-600N3-48 is 1.5x as expensive as the RSP-500-48 Stern's using now, so there's no way Stern is using it, even if it is "right sized" for the initial load they're pulling. I AM thinking about trying to mount one in a Stern that currently has a PDB causing clicking to see if that surge ability it has solves the hiccups. Unfortunately the HRP-600N3-48 that has that 350% surge demand feature is more expensive than just the HRP-600N-48. Because, of course it is.

#212 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Some 'soft start' circuitry to initially get the cap's charging comes to mind as a fix for using the existing supply. But that costs money, so we know how that would go over in the meeting room!
There's other issues that go along w/excessive capacitance, but those don't seem to have cropped up.

It may all be moot if Spike3 debuts with Jaws next as that will have more cost reductions and redesigns, including possibly the new power supply George promised over two years ago.

#214 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That would be interesting. Has George mention anything about when the Spike 3 is coming out?

No, but he had specific areas that he was talking about it improving, so it's pretty clear it was underway. It seems like a new Elwin at the beginning of a new year would be as good a time as any to debut it. Cost savings are like crack to Stern, and Spike3 is all about squeezing more dollars out of the cost of making a Stern.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I hope they did a better job thermally on the LED backbox lights, those dumped a crazy amount of heat into the board.

The SPIKE2 CPU also puts out more heat than that crappy heatsink can dissipate. It really needs a fan as well, but that's another few bucks. Probably getting another simple heatsink with Spike3.

#219 7 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I plan to contact Stern. I see some folks are saying don't bother and just replace the caps myself, but I find it completely unacceptable on principle that I'd have to do electronics surgery on a brand new game built six days ago.

Long hard road, my friend. You might get lucky, or you might be stuck swapping un-tested warranty replacement PDBs that also click a bunch for the next 6 months, every 3-4 weeks until Stern sends you one that won't click more than a few times. Stern has Game of Throne'd this problem moving the clicking to "as designed" and calling it a day.

Yeah, it's unacceptable, but, well, Stern.

#222 7 months ago
Quoted from spicekabay:

I have searched this thread thoroughly, I promise, but I haven't found any information on whether or not the clicking issue does also affect export/ european pins. Does 120V/ 230V make a diffenrence here?

I haven't seen it reported, but since the theory is that the problem is caused by the current inrush being too much for the new crappier caps to handle, which is after the ac/dc conversion in the power supply, so it seems like the AC power shouldn't matter. But it will be interesting to see some overseas reports.

#224 7 months ago
Quoted from mdeslaur:

I do hope everybody on this thread that ultimately changew the caps tells Stern what the resolution to their problem was so they don't end up with a service database where sending a replacement power supply ends up closing the ticket.

Stern knows. I've shared everything with them. No idea why the warranty department is still occasionally sending out power supplies and hoping that helps. They KNOW it won't.

#226 7 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

PS didn't work here, stern is sending a new PS and PDB to try in tandem. Jp 30 is clicking 30+ on each boot up. Has anyone had a total failure yet?

Yes. There have been reports of machines that won't boot. Seems to be the ones that get over 50 clicks that fail to boot.

#229 7 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Is there any permanent damage beyond the PDB though? I can see the MBA types at Stern saying, "meh, we'll just keep throwing these sunk cost PDBs at the problem until we're out of the bad batch" If the problem is contained to only the PDB having permanent damage.

Beyond the PDB? I doubt it.

But the the PDB can and has failed over time because of this. Just doesn't boot. That's a $75 cost to the user every time past warranty. AND you're working relays in the power supply that almost never get triggered beyond power up, so eventually it could weaken or kill them, too. That's $130 to the user. But those will be down the road and not Stern's problem, so I'm sure that's their thinking. Call it "as designed" and hope their customers buy it.

#233 7 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Are the caps that pinmonk suggests out of stock or unavailable?

RS is shipping caps later in 2021. Mouser and Digikey have always had the newer (wrong) ones. 2023 run is not safe, someone just posted a machine with 2314 caps that clicks. You may find some good ones in there, but it will probably be a small percentage like late '21 and all of '22.

It's one reason I'm trying to find a more reliable overall cap that doesn't rely on lot codes. One thing's for sure, it will be more expensive, though. All the ones I'm seeking out are >$5 each. Some as high as $16 each.

#235 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Taking a cursory look for a different cap, I think these might fit. They have a higher ESR (0.067) which might eliminate the Meanwell going into 'hiccup' mode. I'd have to look closer at the data sheet and make sure I didn't miss anything. Pin spacing is the same as the CDE (10mm).
https://www.vishay.com/docs/28337/156pumsi.pdf
[quoted image]
Edit: Looks like the Vishay are slightly wider at 35mm vs. 30mm for the CDE. Wonder if there's enough room?[quoted image][quoted image]

35mm will have them touching, and maybe overlapping. It's *right* on the circle around the cap on the board. CDE has a fatty that's shorter, too.

EDIT: Tried three of the fatty 35mm version of the 10,000uF 63V cap and they do fit, but just barely. The caps touch at their bases. Makes for a cuter, more compact PDB, but with the same CDE mid-2021 and forward performance issues. So 30mm diameter caps from other manufacturers are preferred, but 35mm diameter will fit, if just barely.
CDE_Stubby_Caps (resized).jpgCDE_Stubby_Caps (resized).jpg

The ripple current on that Vishay is 4.23 @120Hz. The CDE is 5.25 @100Hz. There's no straight comparison, but the ripple current rating on the CDE is definitely going to be higher. Nichicon (a more trustworthy name than Vishay, IMO) has a cap where all the specs work out except, again, the ripple. But it could be a case of the more reliable cap (Nichicon) giving a more truthful rating and CDE fudging. Kind of like RMS power for amps.

#236 7 months ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

You know how to fix it, have them made with your logo and bring them in. Create a fix Sterns clicking shit kit... Better yet start doing exchanges with them already installed, clean up.

Nope. Zero interest in doing that. I'm happy to point people to a solution that will work, but I don't want to be in the board replacement (or rebranded cap) business.

#238 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

The ripple current probably isn't a big deal - assuming the Meanwell 1880uF internal caps on the output initially clean up the DC. The Meanwell power supply has a ripple spec of 150mV p-p, but their foot note is a bit vague. I probably wouldn't completely ignore the ripple current spec (i.e. you don't want a junky part), but I'd focus on a slightly high ESR spec first. There's likely junk at the switching frequency, not 120Hz.
I wouldn't have any qualms using Vishay, I've used their parts in the past, albeit not a big filter cap tho.

Ah, right. Great point. I forgot that the Meanwell is smoothing out the DC anyway before it goes to the PDB. I won't get so hung up on ripple rating for the PDB caps.

I would definitely put Vishay above CDE, but for me, Nichicon is the gold standard for good specs and reliable operation. So I was happy to see they have a 63V 10,000 uF cap. However, that awesomeness does come at a cost. They are NOT cheap.

#240 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I did look at the nichicon parts, but I don't see ESR mentioned (odd). So I skipped those. There is a loss tangent spec tho, but I'd have to check if that directly relates to ESR. I don't know why vendors just don't have a plot of ESR and be done w/it.
This was the nichicon the data sheet I was looking at for the LLS1J103MELB: https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/293/e_lls-3082305.pdf
Edit: Answering my own question about loss tangent and ESR: nichicon's loss tangent of 0.25 @ 120Hz = 0.031 ohms ESR.

Yeah, Nichicon is into math. They make you work for the specs that everyone else just gives you. I have no idea why, other than they're Japanese and hardcore.

There's a 105 degree version of that Nichicon (GU series), but it is also 35mm instead of 30 like the LS series/stock CDE caps and is probably overkill, so I'm going to give the 85 degree one a shot now that ripple isn't so much of a concern. Nichicon has never let me down, so I have high hopes for these. The price is like 70% more than the bargains at the RS site for the CDEs, but if the correct lots of those are drying up, that doesn't matter. This'd still be a pretty reasonable ~$25 with shipping for 3 caps.

#242 7 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Update:
Stern thus far has refused to replace the PDB. They are currently insisting (despite my repeated reference to the excellent detail in this thread) on replacing my power supply only -- and they're including an RMA to send back my original.
"Our engineering department has determined that the clicking is caused by the power supply." ... I protested and re-pointed to this thread and requested a PDB. "My engineers have set the policy of sending out just the power supply."
In other news, I ordered the capacitors from RS Online per PinMonk's OP, and I received them with lot code 2145P. Just FYI, for what they're shipping right now.

That date code could go either way on the internal build. I've had 2136 that have been ok and others that were the heavier, crappier ones.

I have the Nichicon caps on the way, and if they work out, that will be a more reliable way to go since people won't have to worry about date codes.

The N3 power supply also arrived today, so in the next week or so I'll be trying that out to see if that solves the problem a different way by being able to handle 350% of spec inrush. It's more expensive, but it's easier because you just swap out the power supply and continue on as normal.

#244 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wonder if you could persuade them to take back both and the PDB - as a pair. If I was on the engineering team, I'd would like to examine the power supply and PDB together, specifically since your combo is causing the bootup problem.
But hey, that's just me.

Sounds like Stern Engineering is pretty set on not addressing the core problem for whatever reason. Weird.

I will be interested to know if a new power supply solves the issue on @skyking2301's machine. Everyone that did a power supply only swap still had clicking, though it worked okay for a few days before returning to clicking in one case.

#250 6 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I also imagine that it is probably a challenge to source new caps in volume at the same price point + they probably have a lot of stock of iffy PDBs and don’t want to just eat those. This is the same company that has been putting loose & mushroomed coil stops in flipper assemblies for how long now?

Especially since ~30% of those are going in route machines and the operators may not care as long as they eventually boot.

I do think that Spike3 is imminent, though, which could account for the lack of urgency. If it's backwards compatible, they could just move all re-runs to Spike3 and leave Spike2 behind. If there's a new power supply (likely) and new electrical engineering, problem solved in their eyes. The "as designed" Game of Thrones "fix."

1 week later
#253 6 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Picked up a IMDN Pro from May from the used market just a few weeks ago. It definitely is clicking around 20-25x. 2x 2241's and 1x 2245. Am I doomed? I take it I fall into this category of excessive clicking issue an it will progressively worsen.

It may or may not get worse. But 20-25 clicks is pretty annoying. I'd fix it if I were keeping it.

#255 6 months ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

This is one of the reasons, I'm holding off on the NIB Iron Maiden Premium's I've been seeing lately. I guess if I buy a HUO,I'll have to ask if the machine is a clicker.

Stern can do a Half-Life pin and the clicking would be on brand.

#259 6 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

It isn't a deal breaker, but is a hindrance and brings the suck a little bit. Stern should just own the screw up, admit the failure, and offer anyone having an issue the solution with Zero lip.

They're off in the weeds now saying it's the power supply. It's not. But they have papered engineers (from DeVry?) saying it's meanwell's power supplies, not their cost-reduced PDB, and have chosen to go with that. <sigh>

Replacing the caps with ones from a lot that is not the crappier, heavier build fixes the problem 100%. Proven.

#261 6 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

Have you spoken with Stern about this directly? I don't see how they can deny your logic

They have, they do. I was sharing the information as I worked it out. They took a hard right last month to blaming the power supply, which makes no sense at all as replacing the caps with correct ones from non-crappy lots always fixes the issue (in my experience), whereas replacing the power supply without addressing the PDB rarely or ever fixes the issue.

Weird. Dunno what's up with that, but maybe they'll eventually come back to reality. I'm totally open to blaming the power supply, but based on all my testing so far, it makes no sense to do so, EXCEPT that the PDB seems to be pulling above the power supply's spec at initial power on, but that's not the power supply's fault, and it's been that way since ~2016 and the clicking just started now with the cap change on the PDB.

#265 6 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Don't hate me, but they sent me a new PDB and power supply for my JP premium. I put the new power supply in and kept the stock PDB in and it was MUCH worse, around 30 clicks. Then I put the new PDB in with the new power supply and it was still really bad. So I took out the new power supply and put my old one back in with the new PDB installed and there is no clicking anymore at all. I have no idea how any of this works as much as I read about it. Maybe I just got lucky after all of this?

So, essentially you ended up with a new PDB that doesn't click. It's great news, but don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Sometimes the replacement PDB can start causing clicks again within a week. So schedule the celebration for two weeks from now.

#266 6 months ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

I'll add sometimes my IMDN has clicked 5x. Sometimes 15-25. And last night and today during startup not at all. I dunno. Went from almost 30 clicks a few nights ago (counted 28 as the peak) to zero two times in a row on the shipped equipment...

It may have to do with temperature or how long it's been since the last time it was turned on. Even Stern obviously does not know.

#269 6 months ago

I still keep shaking my head. How can a 'consumer-ish' product be designed with such tight tolerances that so many of the units experience this power problem? Its a bad design all around....

The problems started when CDE changed the construction of their caps. It may have shown up a problem with Stern's engineering (seems most likely) of the PDB board, which apparently exceeds the rated capacitance of the power supply, so at inrush you see the hiccup mode as the power supply tries to deal with it. I still have my 350% "surge capable" power supply I haven't tried yet, but I bet that fixes a "click-causing" PDB because it addresses what seems to be coming into focus as the actual problem - inrush demand overwhelming the power supply at boot, triggered by these lower-quality build CDE caps that happened in mid-late 2021 and showed up in Sterns late in 2022.

#272 6 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I have the clicking, reported to Stern, they are sending a new power supply. That doesn't seem right according to this - should be a PDB. Could they really not know this by now?

They are off in the weeds. We have a difference of opinion, based on the testing and trial and error I've done here with support from other pinsiders. "It's the caps, stupid" comes to mind. But it's not TOTALLY the caps. Seems like the engineering of the PDB was weak from the beginning, and the cap change just showed that up.

#278 6 months ago
Quoted from XtraTonic:

I took my PDB out today for a swap I'm going to try later and noticed it has what looks like a burn mark on it? It was still working but hmm....[quoted image]

Um, that part has blown. It's supposed to be a square. All the casing has blown off.

Here's another one where R5 blew, but unlike yours, the casing just cracked...

Spike2-PDB (resized).jpgSpike2-PDB (resized).jpg
#283 6 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

That's not the oem resistor. That particular resistor has to do with the coin door interlock.

I think it is, it seems like the black square casing just got blown off.

#284 6 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

PinMonk does this Nichicon cap work as a direct replacement?
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nichicon/LLS1J103MELB/2548884
For sub $30 a game in parts, I’d rebuild a few of my PDBs

I have some of these here on my "to do" list to try. I think they will work based on the specs, but I haven't tried them yet. I'll try to get to them this weekend.

#287 6 months ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

It looked too large to me.

I think it's just a matter of perspective of the side shot of the blown one vs the overhead shot. If you use the 4 in "48" as a guide for the left end and the 5 in "R5" as a guide for the right end, both the casing version and the blown off exposed resistor version are about the same length.

#289 6 months ago
Quoted from 1963BSARGS:

Took the PDB out of my Foo LE because it was clicking for a very long time at start up. Way more than 50 clicks at start up. Switched it out and no more clicking. Here are pics of the faulty PDB:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Give it a week before you celebrate. It can take a bit before clicking is verified gone.

#291 6 months ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Received a new PDB from Stern, Caps are coded 2311P (old board was 2241P) Swapped out and 1 click upon powering up the pin. I will follow up if it gets worse.

Interesting. 2311 is a BIG jump in stock lots to March of this year. They jumped over almost a half a YEAR of questionable/bad cap stock from CDE. I wonder if those caps are back to the other materials inside that weighed 1.4oz? I guess I'll see if Stranger Things or Jaws Pro/Prem are using these new PDBs. I'll unsolder one and weigh it.

#293 6 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I received the power supply from Stern, installed it, and it made the problem worse. Went from 5-10 clicks with old power supply to 40 - 50 with the new. I put the old back in and wrote to Stern about getting a PDB instead. Odd that a different power supply would have a different result, but then again, I don't know anything about this stuff. Thought this would be of interest to the discussion. I DO appreciate that Stern sent the part quickly and the support person has been communicative.

Probably some variance (accepted tolerance) in the power supply surge inrush current at power on. The caps are so crappy that small variances in the power supply that normally would be invisible make a big difference. That may be why Stern is off in the weeds thinking it's the power supply when it's very clear it's the crappy caps.

Since Stern now has at least SOME PDB boards with caps dated 2311, I'd request that the PDB they send you is from this lot. It's dead simple for them to check the date code on the caps before sending it out. We have one success story with 2311, maybe you'll be the second. Here's hoping CDE went back to the more reliable construction and 2311 onward are rock solid again.

#297 6 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I asked Stern for a pdb with caps dated 2311 as Pinmonk advised and they are sending one. I appreciate the speed of their replies and sending parts. At the same time feels off that the community is advising Stern on the proper fix for their games.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't cause clicking and 2023 lot caps may be the answer...

#300 5 months ago
Quoted from drum412:

The last board I got from Stern had "2314" caps. the board did make a double click at startup but seemed to be fine otherwise for 3 weeks, then got 20+ clicks again. I had some caps I ordered a few months ago from PinMonks link , and just said the hell with it, and soldered them in just before Thanksgiving. Now it starts perfectly ever since. And the 2314 caps were still the heavier weight caps.

Thanks for confirming your 2023 caps were still the heavier (crappier) builds. I guess that means 2023 CDE caps Stern is still using remain a lottery, hoping you get ones with high enough capacitance to not cause the power supply to click.

1 week later
#303 5 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

One thing to consider…. I have a PDB within the good date range. Mine never clicks on startup if it’s a fresh cold startup such as first start of the day. But if I reboot it by turning it off and then right away powering up again, it can click a few times. So if you are repeatedly rebooting just to test it, maybe that’s not a big deal to click a bit. Try waiting a while before powering up. Now I have no idea how long of a wait it takes before it won’t click.

I think temperature certainly plays into how many clicks you get on a "click amenable" PDB.

2 weeks later
#306 5 months ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Just following up on this as my Deadpool pro doesn’t always like to boot up now the first time. Thanks!

I got sidetracked helping out with some INDISC stuff and am back behind shipping pinmonk.com orders. Once I get those cleared, I'll do this. The caps and target PDB are staring at me when I sit at my desk.

#308 4 months ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I wonder if Stern used up all of their defective caps,and if not,will they use them in Jaws ?

They used them in Stranger Things Dec 2023 build, so signs point to yes. The one I have will cause the power supply to click 15 or so times if I reboot it. Initial power on is usually fine. I'll be re-capping the PDB before I sell it so it works as it should. Ridiculous for a NIB machine.

The best we can hope for is Stern pre-testing boards to weed out the worst ones, but somehow that seems like it's unlikely to happen.

1 week later
#309 4 months ago

Okay, I installed the Nichicon caps to test.

I replaced the caps on a 2023 run Stranger Things that came with 2023 CDE caps on the PDB board. It would not click excessively at boot, but if I powered off then powered on within, say 10 seconds, I would get 15-20 clicks. So I was hoping to eliminate that (relatively small, specific) issue because I'm powering off then on a LOT testing SD card speed.

Replaced the caps with Nichicon, reinstalled the board - no improvement on quick reboots. Initial boot is still fine, but no improvement at all on the power off, 10 seconds, then power on. So, because it wasn't a clicker at initial boot, I don't know if it will help those machines, but the fact that it doesn't help my quick reboots means probably not. Boo.

I'll save the Nichicon board for when I inevitably get in a clicker at initial boot and I can try it on that machine to see if it helps with that case.

4 weeks later
#311 3 months ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I had been watching this thread kind of waiting to see if/when Stern might send out PDBs with different caps at some point. Eventually had another issue on my Foo and decided to also mention my boot clicking (which always at least clicked 5-10 times, sometimes 30+. Can’t remember for sure but I don’t think it did right out of the gate, but it started happening within the first week or two?).
They RMA’d the PS, no PDB. Figured I’d go along with the process. I’m through three weeks so far and have yet to have more than one click. Guess we’ll see if that lasts as I know other folks have had the problem return. Is there a reason with only swapping the PS and using the same PDB that anything would degrade to begin to cause clicking over time?

Tolerance for the inrush at power on. Stern is playing the margin. The PDB is the core issue, but if the PDB is right on the edge with the current crappy caps, a different power supply may have just a bit more tolerance to make it OK as there's some variance build to build. But as the power supply ages, maybe it slips a little, just a little, and becomes less tolerant of the surge at power on - clicking returns because the PDB wasn't addressed.

This is my theory from what I've seen so far. A fixed PDB with the better, lighter caps doesn't start clicking again, but a power supply-only swap can.

#315 3 months ago
Quoted from ashmath82:

Sorry if this has already been asked but is this an urgent fix? I didn’t realize until I bought a second machine that my bond was doing this and didn’t realize it wasn’t normal. Probably about 10 to 15 clicks on boot up. It’s been doing it for months probably. I’m newer to pinball.

It doesn't hurt anything as long as it completes the boot. Some people's machines have getting been to >50 clicks and the boot failed. I suppose it also stresses the power supply relay that is being called on much more than once per boot, but it's probably within their designed tolerance. It's just more annoying than anything, especially since it's not "normal" behavior.

#316 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If its inrush charging up the capacitors sending the power supply into an overcurrent shutdown issue, then a new power supply with a softer start could be a good fix.

The issue is the inrush due to exceeding the power supply specs. The PDB with the newer, crappier construction caps is causing it, the power supply is just dealing with it as best it can. Meanwell makes a much more expensive power supply that can handle 350% inrush for a certain number of seconds, and that solves it, too. But the core issue is on the PDB, and putting caps that don't cause the condition fixes it.

#320 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Keep in mind the ESR of a capacitor will effect the inrush. Low ESR caps are normally considered "high quality".

Nichicons I tried had a good ESR rating, but still exceeded the max inrush spec on the power supply, so they still caused the power supply to click. Basically you can use ESR rating to get you in the ballpark, but it's not going to for sure solve the clicking when the inrush exceeds the power supply spec and hiccup mode starts to deal with it.

Nichicons were something like .031 ohms and the CDE's were allegedly .04, but there was no change in the printed spec to the CDEs when they clearly changed the materials inside (making them heavier) and the inrush increased. Testing the heavier CDEs that cause the clicking, they were coming up at .02 Ohms not .04. So CDE made them substantially crappier. I *thought* that with the Nichicons at .031 Ohm it could split the difference between the new crappier CDEs at .02 Ohm and the older ones at .04 Ohm, but the Nichicons still caused clicking.

#322 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Lower esr is generally considered a positive thing in many applications. I would not call a low esr cap crappy.

Low ESR seemed to track to higher inrush in this case (I think that's the normal relationship, but I'm very much a novice), which is bad. All the lower ESR ones I tried caused the power supply to click at boot, which meant the inrush was too much for the power supply spec.

#324 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

In my opinion, the real 'crappier' culprit here is Stern exceeding Meanwell's recommended external capacitance (according to Meanwell's tech support).

Oh I totally agree. Stern engineered just over the edge of what was possible with the meanwell power supply banking on the buffer built into the specs of the power supply, then when the caps changed (apparently CDE did this without telling Stern), it changed the equation enough that the power supply couldn't handle the increased inrush at boot.

But Stern is still blaming the power supply publicly. Because they didn't engineer that, no doubt.

#326 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I wonder if they just farm out the bigger electrical designs out?

Gomez was talking about the node system development in the past in interviews and it sounded like at least part of if not all of it was designed in-house.

2 weeks later
#329 89 days ago
Quoted from Mike7599:

Just a note if you order a PDB from pinball life here is what they are shipping:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting. I can't imagine that Pinball Life is recapping the PDBs, so maybe this is the cap Stern has gone with to slow the inrush at boot down to the levels of the early 2021 CDE caps before the materials change? If so, pretty interesting Stern has changed caps on the PDB while still publicly blaming the power supply for the issue (hint:it isn't the power supply - Stern exceeded the power supply's stated spec for boot inrush max. They got away with is using the CDE caps, until 2021 when the cap material changed in the pandemic, changing the inrush to an amount still withing the cap's spec, but that suddenly exposed Stern's crappy PDB engineering assumptions).

Seems like a very hard cap to get onesie-twosie in the 35x50mm "tall" format. Min qty 1000 was the lowest I could find. The fatty 35x40mm ones are available in qty 40 lots, though, but the shipping ends up making them over $4 each. The only difference I could see between the 3540 and the A3540 was the life, 2000 hrs vs 3000 hrs for the "A" version.

LSG103M1J--A3540
Size 35mm × 40mm
Capacitance 10,000
ESR 120Hz, 20C 0.040
Ripple 120hz/85C 3.90
Tan o @ 120hz/20C 0.30

LC 5 Min mA 1.50

I have some coming to check this out.

#331 89 days ago
Quoted from JD58337:

I contacted Stern for a warranty claim and they are shipping out a new PS. I’ll report back on how it goes.

<sigh>

The power supply is not the core problem.

Such a waste of time.

#333 89 days ago
Quoted from JD58337:

Fuuuuuuun….. ugh well then this should be interesting. Wondering if it’ll stop though. Heck as long as the pin still work I suppose I’ll be happy.

It might stop. It seems to me that the game Stern is playing is hoping the tolerance of the new power supply is just slightly more accommodating than the existing one, so when Stern's PDB's out of spec inrush exceeds the power supply's stated spec at bootup, the power supply will have just enough oomph to tolerate it and not click. But if it does stop, the actual problem isn't fixed, it's just masked by the slightly more accommodating power supply you got in the power supply lottery, and could start again if that power supply's tolerance slips as it ages.

#336 86 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The power supply is the problem.... when they want to pair it with that much output capacitance. Are they shipping people a different model of power supply?
Messing around to find the right combination of Capacitance and ESR to get the power supply not to kick into over current shutdown is not the kind of fix i'd be doing. Seems hacky. If stern needs that much output capacitance then they should either incorporate a soft start to charge the caps up slowly or upgrade to a power supply that can take the in rush from charging up capacitors.
It's kind of funny you have to remove a CDE and "upgrade" to general purpose Lelon cap. Lelon is considered mediocre at best and a lot of cap snobs will tell you Lelon is junk (it's not). Downgrading to junky caps with high ESR to hope the power supply doesn't kick into over current protection.
Also consider it may be a lot easier for Stern to just buy an off the shelf PS that can handle the power on situation than to rework or redesign their power board.

Stern is sending out the same manufacturer and model power supply. They're hoping that there's enough of a shift in the tolerance to work with whatever specific real-world PDB spec that one user has. Yes, it's dumb.

But they engineered themselves into a corner. The power supply that is DESIGNED to withstand their boot-time inrush (meanwell also makes) costs about 50% more money and is significantly larger, and penny-pinching Stern ain't doing that.

Someone DID get an AIQ NIB from a recent run with one of the Meanwell power supplies spec'd to handle 3x inrush at boot installed (upside down and very hacked-looking), but everything since then has been back to RSP-500-48s, and with this Lelon PDB cap picture, it looks like Stern has just tried to find another cap - ANY cap - with the right inrush profile to work like the older CDEs did with their irresponsible PDB engineering.

1 week later
#337 75 days ago

Got the Lelon 63v 10000uf caps in. ESR is .01. Capacitance is ~8900-9000 (so about 10% off the stated 10k capacitance, not bad). I don't have an excessive clicking board to check these on right now, but as soon as I do, I'll report back whether they solve the inrush issue with the CDE caps.

My new Prem JAWS has lelon caps on the PDB, but has two clicks at boot, not terrible, but not a strong indicator that Lelon are THE fix for the inrush problems thanks to Stern's poor, right-on-or-over-the-edge-engineering.

1 week later
#340 64 days ago
Quoted from Oneironaut:

Has anyone actually had a complete failure from this? And by that, I mean have to replace parts.

It doesn't cause other parts to fail, but yes, many have had their PDBs replaced, as well as (unnecessarily) their power supply.

#342 64 days ago
Quoted from Thot:

the main problem is the PS!, a 10amp max power..... one 4.8ohm coil need 10A !, so all game is underpowered. I want try a 20A PS when i found one

The power supply is fine. It's also recommended explicitly by FAST (https://fastpinball.com/wiring/choosing-power-supplies/). Adding more amps doesn't help, it creates more problems with wiring and interconnects. The issue is completely within Stern's PDB engineering which apparently disregarded stated specs for the power supply coupled with CDE changing the makeup of the caps (apparently without telling Stern) during the pandemic, which changed the cap's inrush, and the revised caps then exceeded the power supply's stated max spec, which produced the clicking issue as the power supply tried to deal with it.

1 week later
#346 55 days ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Well joined the Clicking Club today (1st time member).
I have Foo Fighters Premium (built: 4/21/23, capacitors are 2245P version) so out of warranty.
I guess I had a good run without the clicking ever occurring.
Question:
I just bought a Pinball Life PDB to try as replacement, has anyone noted this fixing issue? ( you don't know numbers/data on capacitors until I receive PDB)
Also, as alternative if #1 option above (easiest does not work) is there a difference or preference on which one of these I should buy to try?
These were listed on page 1, tempted to use short/fatter version to avoid actually ones that Stern uses to avoid same problem (hopefully).
Cornell Dubilier SLPX103M063H7P3 (shorter, fatter version of one Stern uses)
Cornell Dubilier SLPX103M063E9P3 (the one Stern uses)
Does shorter/fatter version fit onto Stern Stock PDB both electrical points of contacts needed to be soldered and also in terms of width of capacitor black bodies next to each other on PDB?
Thanks in advance!
PS: Recent machine state changes-->I just installed Foo Expression Lights per listed directions (they work fine). My Stumblor Area 51 mod appears dead (no lights on and onboard electrical circuit/board on mod does not light up so appears to not receive any power. I tried tracking down every which way regarding that mod and I think it is down to a fried or bad circuit board on mod--not sure if due to Expression lights or what, at this point more concerned about clicking and will message Stumblor about Area 51 mod.

Pinball life board is whatever Stern sends them, so they are likely to have clicking UNLESS they are the newer ones using the Lelon caps that Stern has changed to on recently shipping pins like JAWS. You can probably email terry at pinball life and ask if he has the lelon cap PDB version so you know what you're getting has the best chance of not causing power supply clicking.

The fatty caps (CDE OR Lelon) do fit as the base is standard. They are on the recommended list by Stern. Lelon have a better chance of not causing the power supply to click.

I do wonder if maybe your Stumblor mod has a short and that was the cause of your clicking...then it died and the clicking went away?

#349 55 days ago
Quoted from Tuukka:

Since the clicking is the power supply trying to limit the inrush current to the PDB capacitors, how about installing a delayed-pull-in relay to the 48V power line between power supply and PDB, and connect the power supply to PDB via, say, a 4,7 ohm resistor, that the delay relay then bypasses after a second or so.

Someone is working on something like this that's plug and play. Stupid it's not engineered INTO Stern's PDB already. Maybe Spike3...

#351 54 days ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Relating to back box clicking, I have to admit I am no electrical engineer so a lot of the technical terms of incurrent, draws, loads, resistor bypases, etc. etc. I do not fully understand, but have trust in all you do for the community Pinmonk. Thanks for your efforts with all these technical things!

Haha. I'm only a few steps ahead of you. I have a bit more than basic understanding, but this particular adventure got me more familiar with ESR and inrush with help from some other members here, too.

We're all in this together, like an abuse survivor group, but for Stern pinball.

1 week later
#354 41 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Is this what you're talking about ?[quoted image]

This is a different one, but similar idea.

#357 41 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Thanks,I've been following this thread in hopes that they finally come up with a fix. Until then,I won't be buying any Sterns made in 2023 or thereafter .

With Stern's move to Lelon caps on recent machines, the issue is back under wraps for the most part. A few clicks at most. That doesn't mean Stern FIXED their poor engineering, just that they slapped a different inrush bandaid on it. Spike3 is imminent, we'll see what that does...

#362 40 days ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Thanks again to PinMonk for getting to the bottom of this, you're a great asset to this community! I'm happy to announce that FlipMods has developed a plug and play fix for this issue. Here is our thread about it https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-pdb-click-fix-board
Here is the product https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1378-flipmods/10736-spike-2-click-fix-board[quoted image][quoted image]

My only concern is the temperature of that diode over long sessions as it will be stressed with each hard pull (multiball, kids chimping flippers, heavy coil use events) from the game since it's between the power supply and the PDB for all the power transfers, all the time. May be a non-issue, but it would be nice to have some realtime temp testing on it.

#364 40 days ago
Quoted from BW1029:

Whats the danger of these clicks? other than being annoying at startup is it really that bad? my 2023 build GZ Premium had this issue, I received a new PDB from my distributor which reduced the frequency and number of clicks but it still happens. I kind of dropped it with the distributor since i had to pay a fair amount to ship the old one back and it didn't seem to be too bad. Am I being silly about letting this fester?

Basically that's it. It's annoying and not proper operation. I guess maybe it stresses the power supply a bit more because it's taxing that relay that isn't supposed to kick in except under extreme circumstances. So maybe taking some life off the power supply, but we're talking years down the road before you see the result of that, if ever.

And the dist making you pay to return the defective part is kind of a bitch move. Stern sends prepaid labels when they want the bad parts back from me on a warranty ticket.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gibsonia, PA
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Dr Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 210.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 495.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clicking-power-supply-fix?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.