IMG_7434 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7433 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7432 (resized).jpeg
Spike2-PDB (resized).jpg
PXL_20231201_115529225 (resized).jpg
CDE_Stubby_Caps (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 366 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 29 days ago
Quoted from Zeusflurry:

Relating to back box clicking, I have to admit I am no electrical engineer so a lot of the technical terms of incurrent, draws, loads, resistor bypases, etc. etc. I do not fully understand, but have trust in all you do for the community Pinmonk. Thanks for your efforts with all these technical things!

Haha. I'm only a few steps ahead of you. I have a bit more than basic understanding, but this particular adventure got me more familiar with ESR and inrush with help from some other members here, too.

We're all in this together, like an abuse survivor group, but for Stern pinball.

#352 24 days ago

I decided to break out the scope and take some measurements relating to this issue. You can see my findings and hopefully a solution to the issue here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-pdb-click-fix-board#post-8133737

1 week later
#353 15 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Someone is working on something like this that's plug and play. Stupid it's not engineered INTO Stern's PDB already. Maybe Spike3...

Is this what you're talking about ?

Screenshot_20240426-174332-717 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240426-174332-717 (resized).png
#354 15 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Is this what you're talking about ?[quoted image]

This is a different one, but similar idea.

#355 15 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is a different one, but similar idea.

Thanks,I've been following this thread in hopes that they finally come up with a fix. Until then,I won't be buying any Sterns made in 2023 or thereafter .

#356 15 days ago

Because the clicking a few times before it turns on is a deal breaker lol

Quoted from ralphs007:Thanks,I've been following this thread in hopes that they finally come up with a fix. Until then,I won't be buying any Sterns made in 2023 or thereafter .

#357 15 days ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Thanks,I've been following this thread in hopes that they finally come up with a fix. Until then,I won't be buying any Sterns made in 2023 or thereafter .

With Stern's move to Lelon caps on recent machines, the issue is back under wraps for the most part. A few clicks at most. That doesn't mean Stern FIXED their poor engineering, just that they slapped a different inrush bandaid on it. Spike3 is imminent, we'll see what that does...

#358 15 days ago
Quoted from jrcmlc:

Because the clicking a few times before it turns on is a deal breaker lol

And you know that it will never get any worse? Lol Some owners have reported as many a 30 clicks per startup,I wouldn't call that a few. And who's to say this problem won't eventually end up with an expensive repair down the road? Even if it's not an expensive repair, it'll still be a nuisance to fix.

#359 15 days ago

I'm one of them. 30 clicks is still like 50 seconds. Just saying it's not a reason, to me, to write off every game after 2023 or whatever....

Quoted from ralphs007:And you know that it will never get any worse? Lol Some owners have reported as many a 30 clicks per startup,I wouldn't call that a few. And who's to say this problem won't eventually end up with an expensive repair down the road?

#360 15 days ago

Sorry sent that before I was done.... The caps are cheap, the power supplies are reasonable and super easy to get to and get into and so far I don't think anyone has had a failure... But I've not kept up on it as it's really not a big deal, it's something we know isn't right and it sucks but things still work.

Quoted from ralphs007:And you know that it will never get any worse? Lol Some owners have reported as many a 30 clicks per startup,I wouldn't call that a few. And who's to say this problem won't eventually end up with an expensive repair down the road?

#361 15 days ago

Thanks again to PinMonk for getting to the bottom of this, you're a great asset to this community! I'm happy to announce that FlipMods has developed a plug and play fix for this issue. Here is our thread about it https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-pdb-click-fix-board

Here is the product https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1378-flipmods/10736-spike-2-click-fix-board

20240424_083135.jpg20240424_083135.jpg20240424_084329.jpg20240424_084329.jpg
#362 15 days ago
Quoted from mikespins:

Thanks again to PinMonk for getting to the bottom of this, you're a great asset to this community! I'm happy to announce that FlipMods has developed a plug and play fix for this issue. Here is our thread about it https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-pdb-click-fix-board
Here is the product https://pinside.com/pinball/shops/shop/1378-flipmods/10736-spike-2-click-fix-board[quoted image][quoted image]

My only concern is the temperature of that diode over long sessions as it will be stressed with each hard pull (multiball, kids chimping flippers, heavy coil use events) from the game since it's between the power supply and the PDB for all the power transfers, all the time. May be a non-issue, but it would be nice to have some realtime temp testing on it.

#363 15 days ago

Whats the danger of these clicks? other than being annoying at startup is it really that bad? my 2023 build GZ Premium had this issue, I received a new PDB from my distributor which reduced the frequency and number of clicks but it still happens. I kind of dropped it with the distributor since i had to pay a fair amount to ship the old one back and it didn't seem to be too bad. Am I being silly about letting this fester?

#364 15 days ago
Quoted from BW1029:

Whats the danger of these clicks? other than being annoying at startup is it really that bad? my 2023 build GZ Premium had this issue, I received a new PDB from my distributor which reduced the frequency and number of clicks but it still happens. I kind of dropped it with the distributor since i had to pay a fair amount to ship the old one back and it didn't seem to be too bad. Am I being silly about letting this fester?

Basically that's it. It's annoying and not proper operation. I guess maybe it stresses the power supply a bit more because it's taxing that relay that isn't supposed to kick in except under extreme circumstances. So maybe taking some life off the power supply, but we're talking years down the road before you see the result of that, if ever.

And the dist making you pay to return the defective part is kind of a bitch move. Stern sends prepaid labels when they want the bad parts back from me on a warranty ticket.

#365 15 days ago

Thanks, yea I'm tempted to buy the fix mentioned earlier but I also worry about unintended consequences and/or just my general lack of in depth knowledge on the subject.

And yes, I was a little turned off by the way the distributor handled it. He had me ship it back to him, for him to then use the prepaid label to get it back to Stern... Why I couldn't ship it back directly makes no sense to me!? That and other minor issue makes me think ill be on the lookout for a new distributor for my next NIB

#366 15 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My only concern is the temperature of that diode over long sessions as it will be stressed with each hard pull (multiball, kids chimping flippers, heavy coil use events) from the game since it's between the power supply and the PDB for all the power transfers, all the time. May be a non-issue, but it would be nice to have some realtime temp testing on it.

Here is the thermal info for the click fix board. Max temperature was ~45 C (113F), so it doesn't get very warm at all.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-spike-2-pdb-click-fix-board#post-8148369

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
8,500 (OBO)
$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

There are 366 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clicking-power-supply-fix/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.