Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 389 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by LJ666
  • Topic is favorited by 369 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6150 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2144 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2143 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2142 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1998 (resized).jpeg
    WIRINGd (resized).png
    IMG_1993 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1992 (resized).jpeg
    Fuse Box (resized).jpg
    ma3 (resized).jpg
    ma2 (resized).jpg
    Ma1 (resized).jpg
    13A74006-443A-4870-A261-F36F2ACD0345 (resized).jpeg
    silver-markings (resized).png
    plug-shapes (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #4 This post describes what each terminal in a new plug is for. Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #6 This post is step two in replacing the plug on your old cord. Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

At least once a week, there is a post about someone getting a shock from their machine, they are missing the ground plug (or the game never had one from the factory) or even the whole power cord is gone.

I'm going to first run through the North American 115VAC system, then return to the Euro 220VAC system latter. Most of the 115v stuff will apply to the Euro system anyway.

Any voltage over 50v is dangerous, so my and Robin's legal team advises that you hire an electrician to do any electrical work. Don't do this stuff in the house alone. You can't press your LifeAlert necklace call button if you are unconscious or held in place by electrical current. Wear rubber soled shoes, turn off fuse/breaker box, unplug machine.

cat fun.jpgcat fun.jpg

#2 9 years ago

PLUG DAMAGED OR GROUND PRONG MISSING
    ======================================

Sometimes people only have a 2 prong outlet in their ancient house, so they start cutting the Equipment Ground off of all the plugs.

This is dangerous.

Not only has the Safety Ground been defeated, but often the plug can be inserted into the outlet upsidedown, causing the Hot to now be on the Neutral side (more on Hot and Neutral latter).

If you have a game like this, you often will feel an electric shock when you touch another nearby game at the same time.

This needs to be fixed right now, don't put this off.

IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0171.jpg
    #3 9 years ago

NOTE: If your game is going into a commercial environment, you are NOT allowed to just replace the plug. You must replace the whole cord (instructions below). The City Inspector will flag or cut the cord off of any device that has had it's plug replaced - the owner of the establishment will not be impressed. For home use, the following repair is fine.

Heavy duty replacement plugs are available at any hardware store. Get the solid plastic ones, not the soft rubber units.

When Harbor Freight has their sidewalk sales, these are often $1. Buy a dozen because 25% of all the games you buy will need them.

replacement-plug.jpgreplacement-plug.jpg
    #4 9 years ago

Inside the replacement plug, you will see 3 terminals.

They have 3 different colored screws to tell you what conductor is required.

GREEN = GROUND
    SILVER = WHITE OR NEUTRAL
    BRASS = BLACK OR HOT

This is very important, so look closely and understand what I'm talking about.

PLUG-TERMINALS.jpgPLUG-TERMINALS.jpg
    #5 9 years ago

Cut the old plug off the cord and discard. Don't take the old plug apart trying to save an inch of wire; we want all fresh material.

Always slide the body on the cord, before you strip the ends.

Otherwise you will splay out the copper strands. Or you might even forget about the body until after you have installed the plug, lol.

BODY.jpgBODY.jpg

#6 9 years ago

Somewhere on the new plug body there is a strip gauge that tells you how much of the jacket and the conductor insulator to cut back.

With this Harbor Freight plug, it requires 1" of the Jacket to be cut back.

Be very careful not to nick the conductors inside the Jacket - that means you DON'T cut all the way though the Jacket. You score it, and then tear the rest of the way through.

JACKET.jpgJACKET.jpg
    #7 9 years ago

Next, weed out any filler fiber and binding tape.

You can now see cleanly the 3 different conductors.

WEED-OUT.jpgWEED-OUT.jpg
    #8 9 years ago

"Vid wait! My cord does not have any colored conductors on it! They are all brown!", I can hear a few of you saying already.

This means you have an older cord.

Older cords can be fine, but check them out carefully:

Q: Does the cord have 3 conductors?
    A: Yes - you are still in the ball game.
    A: No- replace entire cord.

Q: Does the cord show little cracks when you bend it into a tight loop?
    A: No - you are still good to continue.
    A: Yes - replace the entire cord.

Q: Does the cord have Ribbing down one side of the conductors?
    A: Yes - you have a good cord.
    A: No - replace the entire cord.

Just like any lamp cord in your house, 3-conductor power cords that don't have color coding have Ribbing to show the Neutral conductor. This is important to note, so look closely and don't mix it up with the other conductors.

#9 9 years ago

Again, there is a Strip Gauge on the body of the plug that tells you how much conductor insulation to strip off.

On these Harbor Freight plugs, you strip back 3/8".

Don't twist the strands together for this type of connector (if the strands were being installed directly under a screw head, THEN we would twist them together, but here the strands are installed between two plates).

STRIP.jpgSTRIP.jpg
    #10 9 years ago

Place the copper conductors between the clamp plates and tighten the clamp screws. DO NOT put the wire directly under the screw heads for this style plug.

Tight means 20 inch pounds if you have a torque wrench- tight means very tight, but don't strip the screw heads for the rest of us.

Note also that there is no extra bare copper showing above the clamp plates, nor is there any stray strands of copper. If you somehow screw up, just cut all the conductors back and start with a fresh section of cord.

Screw heads need proper conductor colors:

GREEN = GROUND
    SILVER = WHITE, NEUTRAL or RIBBED
    BRASS = BLACK OR HOT

INSTALL-1.jpgINSTALL-1.jpg
    INSTALL-2.jpgINSTALL-2.jpg

#11 9 years ago

Finally, reassemble the plug and tighten the cord clamp.

Be sure to tighten the cord clamp evenly - do a few turns of each screw at a time. If you don't, the cord could pull free from the plug should someone trip over it or *gasp* pull the plug from the wall using the cord.

CLAMP.jpgCLAMP.jpg

#12 9 years ago

REPLACING THE ENTIRE CORD
    =========================================

Oftentimes, you need to replace the entire cord.

It could be:

1. The game is going into a commercial environment and replacement plugs are not allowed.

2. The cord is damaged, worn or brittle.

3. The game is an older EM that never had a 3 conductor, grounded cord

4. The game has been acquired without a cord (re-import or salvaged).

-

Q: What kind of cord do I get?

A: Get an IEC style cord. They are $1 at any mom & pop computer store - usually piled up in bulk in a big cardboard box. Choose one with the thickest diameter cord, but really any computer cord will probably be fine. Most say 10-15 Amps on them, and no pinball machine draws more than 5 amps.

Get a long length, like 12 or more feet (most building codes require an outlet every 6 feet).

If you have a modern pinball machine ( mid 1990's or later) the IEC plug will just plug into a receptacle on the back of the game - no wiring required.

If you have an older game, you will cut off the female end of the IEC plug and solder in the wires directly.

-

Q: All the little computer shops are out of business around my house, where else can I get a cord?

A: You can buy a 15 foot, 16 gauge, white or black extension cord from any hardware store (don't buy orange, or you will look like an amateur ), and cut off the female end.

-

Q: Shouldn't I just just buy an "Appliance Replacement Cord"?

A: No, those are three times the money of just buying an extension cord of the same length and gauge, don't ask me why.

-

Q: I cut the female end of of the cord, but the internal wires are Blue, Brown and Green/Yellow stripe ! Now what?????

A: Don't panic, those are Euro colors, and everything is still fine:

Blue = Neutral

Brown = Hot

Green/Yellow = Ground

(even if there were crazy color wires inside the jacket, just get your meter out and figure what conductor goes to what prong)

IEC cord.jpgIEC cord.jpg
    Cable-Colors-Euro.jpgCable-Colors-Euro.jpg

#13 9 years ago

WILLIAMS GAMES LATE 70s AND AFTER

==================================

The power cord enters the cab, often through the backbox neck, through a plastic strain relief, gets tied in a knot (so it does not get pulled through the plastic strain relief), and finally is soldered to the Line Filter and the Fuse block.

The Hot wire (Black), gets soldered to the Fuse Block.

The Neutral wire (White) goes to the Filter.

The Ground wire (Green) goes to the grounding lug on the case of the filter.

-

The Ground Braiding now runs from the Filter to every metal part on the game. The legs, the rails, the "ground plane" along the back of the backbox - everything metal that a human can touch is now safely grounded.

This means that all the metal parts are now a BETTER conductor of electricity to ground than you are - that is a good thing if you want you and your fiends to stay alive should a fault occur.

-

Replace that monster 8 amp fuse with a 4 amp fuse.

If you put a "Kill-A-Watt" meter on a pin and set it to peak amperage, you never get above 2.3 amps, and many LEDed games are 1.5 amps.

Using a smaller fuse will mean that should a fault occur, the fuse will react much quicker; possibly saving your expensive transformer.

If you have ran a specific game through your Kill-a-watt and know it never peaks above 1.5 amps, you can change the fuse to 2 amps - the smaller fuse will make it safer yet.

-

If you ever plug in a game and it instantly trips the house circuit breaker, it is often the MOV. The MOV sacrifices itself to save the rest of the game from a surge.

MOVs are very fast acting and thus very valuable to our games. Don't get lazy and bypass a blown one - replace it!

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=76

-

Note that 115vac power bypasses the fuse and runs to the Service Outlet inside the cab. This is so if the main 8amp fuse has blown, you sill have service power to plug in a lamp to work on the game.

inside.jpginside.jpg

#14 9 years ago

CLASSIC BALLY SOLID STATE GAMES

==================================

Note that on Classic Bally games, the Hot and Neutral wires are exactly opposite of the Williams configuration.

CLASSIC-BALLY.jpgCLASSIC-BALLY.jpg

#15 9 years ago

NEW POWER CORD FOR EM TYPE MACHINES

===================================

Until the 1960's, most electrical outlets were the 2 prong type; so as you have probably noticed, many older EM pinball machines have 2 prong cords.

Even though 2 prong is "factory", you should still update your games to 3 prong grounded cords for safety. Your 40-60 year old cord is probably due for replacement anyway.

Inside the cab, you see the old power cord is bundled up with all the other wires with little sections of string. Don't try to cut all those strings out, you will make a mess. Just cut the old power cord off at each end of the bundle, and zip tie the new power cord along the outside of the bundle.

The Black/Hot wire from the new cord goes to the fuse and switch (assuming there is a switch).

The White/Neutral wire from the new cord goes to whatever spot the old, ribbed wire went to.

The Green/Ground wire from the new cord gets a Ring Terminal installed on the end of it, and is attached to the transformer case.

Grounding ring terminal.jpgGrounding ring terminal.jpg

The transformer case and brackets are often dipped in lacquer, so you should sand the attachment point down to bare metal.

EM-Transformer.jpgEM-Transformer.jpg

Finally, run a Ground Braid to the metal Legs, Coin Door, Lock Down Bar and Rails of the machine. This will protect the user by making those parts a better path to ground than the player himself is.

Grounding-braid.jpgGrounding-braid.jpg

#16 9 years ago

WALL RECEPTACLE WIRED INCORRECTLY

==============================

So you have a properly wired game, with a proper 3 prong grounded cord and you are still getting shocked when you play or touch two games at once? Often the problem is the wall outlet is wired incorrectly.

(again, I'm going to remind you that any voltage over 50v is dangerous and that you should have a qualified electrician repair the following problems)

The easiest and safest way to check your outlets is a $5 Outlet Tester:

GFCI Outlet tester.jpgGFCI Outlet tester.jpg

If you route games, you NEED one of these Testers in your tool kit. Every game you deploy should ONLY be plugged into a properly wired, tested outlet. Any child that even gets a slight shock from your game will cost you $50,000 - $1,000,000 regardless of any actual injury.

These Testers are not foolproof (some unscrupulous person could tie the Neutral to the Ground screw behind the cover plate, and the Tester would display that the outlet is properly grounded), but they catch 95% of the common faults.

Of course, if you had an Outlet Tester, you would have already tested the suspect outlet, so how would an electrician test it without a fancy Tester? With a volt meter:

-

Meter set on A/C

One probe in LARGE duplex slot, one probe in ground hole (Hopefully 0v?) if 120v Neutral is HOT (thus wired backwards)

One probe in the SMALL duplex slot, one probe in ground hole (hopefully 120v?) If 0v, ground is open ( thus not grounded)

outlet.jpgoutlet.jpg

#17 9 years ago

HOW MANY GAMES ON A SINGLE CIRCUIT BREAKER?

===========================================

By now you have probably heard that commercial arcades put 6 pinball machines on each 20A circuit.

How did they come up with that formula?

The National Electric Code wants circuit breakers to see 80% of their rated load. So for a 20A breaker, the ideal number is 16 amps.

Most pinball machines draw about 1.6 to 2 amps peak.

Some pinball machines with a ton of lamps may even draw 2.4 amps.

If you take any random 6 pinball machines at an arcade and measure their amperage draw at the breaker panel, you see that each breaker is seeing ~13 amps. Well under our 16 amp goal.

In your home, where you don't have to worry about employees moving games around and messing up your breaker loads, if you measured a 13 amp draw on a circuit, you could safely add one additional game and still be under your 16 amp target.

#18 9 years ago

NO GROUND WIRE AVAILABLE IN DUPLEX BOX

=================================

If your house is old, it may not have a Ground wire available at all inside the electrical wall box.

The best thing to do would be to run a new line of "Romex" back to the Breaker Panel and have a properly grounded outlet.

But if your house is a rental, or there is just no realistic way to run a new line, you can actually install an "ungrounded" GFCI and it will still trip on a Ground Fault.

As a bonus, the GFCI will protect all the other outlets that are connected 'downstream' from it; so try to make it the first outlet in the line to the Breaker Panel.

The GFCI will come with a bunch of decals that need to be applied to itself and the other downstream outlets notifying users that they are protected, but no actual equipment ground is available.

GFCI No Ground.jpgGFCI No Ground.jpg

#19 9 years ago

RE-IMPORT WPC GAME WIRED INCORRECTLY

===============================

If your re-import game is giving you a shock, check inside the metal shielding box.

With the game off, but plugged in, check if your incoming blue wire is somehow hot with your meter.

So, meter set on AC:

One probe on blue wire, one on green. Voltage (hopefully 0v)? (if 120v blue is HOT, and thus the Blue and Brown are wired in reverse)

One probe on brown, one on green. Voltage (hopefully 120v)? (if 0v, ground is faulty)

One probe on brown, one on blue. Voltage (hopefully 120v)?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from bobbyt:

I hope to god you are not having a stroke, we would be lost around here without you

Nope, you guys aren't rid of me yet.

I got a phone call from an overseas client, then promptly fell asleep.

I'll get it going in the next few hours.

#22 9 years ago

I'll proofread the above and then post more probably Thursday .

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

As an electrician I always get a little nervous when I see people post electrical advice. So far a good read, I should have known better when I saw the author.

I'm glad to hear someone is checking me for BS.

Quoted from Shredso:

I find the cord end rule odd. As a licensed electrician I can wire a power plant, but I cant replace a cord end? Some are UL listed too. Strange grey area. One safety inspectors have a hard on for too.

I once asked the "friendliest" inspector in the county why he always flagged replacement plugs.

He said he could not be certain "what I did inside the plug" and that "I could have wired it wrong".

I did not tell him that I replaced cords all the time, and he certainly could not tell what I did inside the cabinet.

I mean, no one has ever wired a cabinet wrong, right?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Can you show how to correctly wire a service outlet in the cab? I have a reimported Getaway. Works fine and was converted back to 110 volts but someone placed a cap in the service outlet cut out. I got the correct plug from Marco but I'm afraid I might hurt my transformer if I make a mistake.

The factory put that plastic plug in for export games.

Pull the plastic plug out.

Push the new service outlet receptacle all the way into the hole until it snaps in.

Hot (Black) conductor gets soldered to the small slot.

Neutral (White) goes to the larger slot.

Ground (Green) wire goes to the ground pin hole.

Use 14 gauge or heavier stranded wire. (some Marco plugs come with the wire already installed, in that case you don't have to worry about it).

SERVICE-OUTLET.jpgSERVICE-OUTLET.jpg

3 weeks later
    #41 9 years ago
    Quoted from cichlid:

Vid,
    Clay's guide says that the ribbed conductor is the hot wire:
    "The hot wire on the power cord should have "lines" molded into the insulation (as today's power cords are all polarized)."
    http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index3.htm#power
    But you say the ribbed conductor is the neutral wire:

Who's right, before I get electrocuted?

That's a big typo on Clay's guide.

Ribbed is Neutral for sure!

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

Would you recommend using a wire stripper tool, rather than a utility knife, to strip casing off? It might help people to ensure they don't knick the conductor. I'm sure most pinheads must have one or more of these lying around...

Sure, a dedicated wire stripper is a great tool to use for this job.

But you will still need a knife to weed out the filler and to score the outer jacket of the cord.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

My house of course has non grounded outlets (2 holes), so what I have to do is connect my surge protector (3 prong) to the outlet using one of those little grey three to two prong converters. My pins are connector onto the surge protector.

Will this cover things?

No, unfortunately not OK.

Those 3 to 2 prong converters do not provide any grounding protection.

Have an electrician replace your 2 hole outlet with a GFCI outlet. It's a 1 minute job.

It technically won't have a ground back to the circuit panel, but it WILL trip on a ground fault for safety.

You will then have this:

299466.jpg299466.jpg
    1 week later
    #44 9 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Vid thanks for the post. When it comes to old EM games (non-pinball) that don't have metal legs, side-rails etc. Would you still recommend the new cord have a ground and to still ground the green wire to the transformer case? I have several of the old EM Chicago Coin games that I will be replacing the cords too and wondered if this was necessary as most of the electrical components are on a pull out wooden tray.

If you are replacing the cords anyway, then yes, make sure you ground to the transformer case.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I have replaced outlets in my home, but never this type. Something I can do myself or do I need an electrician?

If you can safely replace a standard duplex, you will have no problems installing a GFCI.

#51 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

So don't do it myself?

It's the same as installing a regular duplex, with one additional step to protect other, downstream outlets on the same circuit:

http://www.homedepot.com/c/installing_electrical_outlets_gfci_HT_PG_EL

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Don't you love it when i add work for you?

Yeah, that's nice.

Quoted from BrianZ:

Vid, since many are importing from Europe back to the US, can we discuss some of the changes that are needed? And what about swapping the MOV?

That is a big answer as different generations of pins need different procedures. Some you resolder wires to different lugs on the transformers, and others you move jumper pins around on a Molex.

The MOV is easier.

For North America replace the MOV with a 130V unit.

For Europe replace the MOV with a 275V unit.

The MOV goes across the mains line. Should the MOV see a surge, it will clamp down almost instantly, suppressing the voltage spike. It can do this many times without failing, but each spike probably damages the MOV a little.

Should it see a huge spike, the MOV will self destruct, often tripping the circuit breaker.

Once in a while, a MOV will fail open, and although it will not trip the circuit breaker, it is not protecting the circuit either. If you see discoloration of the MOV (like a brown or black dot on it), replace it.

blown mov.pngblown mov.png
    #55 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

On the Mov front, if you have a re-import with 275V MOV. It techincally will still protect from spikes. Any real benefit to change it out for the 130V MOV (Assuming the game is converted to 110V for US)?

Yes, the 130V would be well worth the $1.

The lower the clamping voltage, the better the protection.

At my job, when we have MOVs that fail yearly in a certain location, we install a few MOVs in parallel in the same holes of the circuit board.

This allows them to "share the load".

Our engineers say that 2 MOV in parallel will survive 5x longer than a single in the same situation. 3 MOVs will last 20x longer....

#61 9 years ago

Did it burn holes through your wire cutters?

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Just never understood that on a polarized plug the hot wasn't the bigger spade. Make sense right, bigger spade means better current capacity.

It's the smaller one so it is harder for kids to stick a safety pin into.

1 month later
    #70 9 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

A single pinball machine shouldn't pull anywhere near 10A.

Usually less than 2.5A

Quoted from RoyF:

I read somewhere that 16 gauge wire is rated for 13A and 18 gauge wire is rated for 10A at 110v.

18 gauge is probably closer to 6A allowable, but even that's plenty for a pinball machine.

But since a brand new 16g extension cord is $4 at Menards, I gotta just recommend that because the jacket is probably more durable.

#72 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

I have several 18AWG cords just arrived from GSE that will be going into a DE Simpsons, a Firepower, and an Earthshaker, all of which have had their ground prongs removed; no problem with that gauge, right?

They should be fine, but next time, get some heavier duty cables for $4.

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Since the colors are the same, I would just run the new wires to where the old wires go, correct?

Yes.

Quoted from jibmums:

Would it be safe to cut the old wires a few inches down and solder the new ones to them, then cover with heatshrink tubing?

No.

Splices are frowned upon with power cords.

Unsolder the old and replace with the new.

You can't really mess it up like a circuit board, so "tin" your new wires and learn how to solder. You will need to solder stranded wires for every coil that burns out - so now is the time.

1 month later
    #75 9 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

I would have thought post the MOV being burned up (and also disconnected), the machine would not work. But in this case the machine was working.
    Vid, Is this normal? I'm assuming so, since the MOV is just crossing the lugs of the EMI filter.

The MOV sacrificed itself to save the game from an overvoltage. Right now you are unprotected, so you need to replace it.

Some hack snipped one leg to allow the game to function again, but should have replaced it.

Get a new 130v one:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=76

Quoted from BrianZ:

The silver disk, assuming this is a thermistor?

Yep, it helps control the inrush current when you first turn the game on. Makes the bridge rectifiers last longer.

1 month later
    #79 9 years ago

Yep, we use them at work for those super fine stranded, super flexible, CNC motor wires.

They give a gas-tight crimp, so the wires don't fray and can be repeatedly inserted into the servodrives, without stripping a new section of wire.

The term used here in the States is: Wire-End Ferrule

8 months later
    #80 8 years ago

Here is another view of the inside wiring with MOV and Thermistor:

479510.jpg479510.jpg

9 months later
    #86 7 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Should the line filter also be replaced on old games?

They are usually OK, even when old, but if a game is causing interference on a radio or TV in the house, then the filter may have kicked the bucket.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from joe2012:

Also what amp. rating do you use?

Most pins draw about 2 amps, so it does not have to be too big.

I keep some 10A ones around, but even 6 is probably plenty.

1 month later
    #90 7 years ago

If there is no metal that a player can touch, then you don't have to worry about grounding anything other than the transformer case.

1 month later
    #95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

I've checked the inline fuse (okay) and the AC voltages all the way to the RFI filter and get 123V, but I get nothing out the other end of the filter. Is that enough to confirm the filter needs to be replaced?

Let's see some clear pictures of your wiring

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from Elicash:

After reading your thread, I checked to see if grounding pin is at outlet plug. It is (pics below). I noticed that the ground braid that runs up along the "box" to the coin door and lock down bar receiver was not connected, so I screwed it down to the box through the existing hex screw (pic). But this did not solve the electrical shock.

First check if the ground is good at the wall socket (check the actual sockets that both games are plugged into):

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide#post-1945125

Then check that the male ground pin of the plug actually has continuity to the green wire where it is soldered to the filter module

#98 7 years ago

Excellent picture.

Put your meter on AC, keep one lead on the neutral terminal of the output side of the filter module.

Put the other lead on the hot (black) conductor: After the fuse, then at the input of the filter, and then on the output of the filter.

Power at the input, but not the output?

4 months later
    #109 6 years ago

The hard plastic replacement plug you show in picture #1 has been assembled INCORRECTLY.

>>>> The rubber plug you show in picture #2 is correct, with the ribbed wire on the neutral tab. <<<<<<

Make sure that the HOT lead (that's the smooth one) on the new cord goes to the fuse and the switch.

-

If you are in ANY way uncertain about the above - stop - and I'll clarify.

6 months later
    #115 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinWiz1969:

So i’m Replacing the cord on a Bally Star Trek, and the original cord (manufacturer) had the ribbed side of the cord on the hot side (right side) according to Vid. I installed it the way Vid described, and I have nothing. I’m confused. I installed the black on the right, and the white on the left. On the male side I installed the black on the right, and the white on the left.

Do you have a meter?

If you do, you need to check if you have voltage at the RF Filter (the silver box the line cord solders onto).

Then you need to check if you have voltage on the lower half (output side) of the RF Filter.

Then you need to check if you have power at the Cabinet Switch.

2 months later
    #117 6 years ago

You always want to fuse and switch the hot side for safety.

For instance, you would not want to blow the fuse but then still have the game hot.

4 months later
    #123 5 years ago

It's too dark to see on my phone.

#126 5 years ago

^ You have both the Hot and the Neutral on the switch.

Get your meter out, put it in diode mode, test the switch contacts (with no wires attached) and figure out what 2 contacts complete a circuit.

Only attach the Hot (black) wire to the switch, the Neutral (white) wire is not interrupted.

3 weeks later
    #134 5 years ago

Those filters rarely go bad, most pinball machines draw less than 3 amps, so as long as the filter has a larger rating than the one you replaced, you should be fine.

I have a bunch of 6 & 10A units that I use on ones that are blown open, and have never replaced one twice.

1 week later
    #140 5 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

vid1900- I've got a weird problem with a Bally Spectrum that I just got in. It was carrying 110v on its metal side rails and lock down bar when measured to another nearby pinball machine.

OK, so this automatically tells you that you have a wiring issue

Job #1, test the outlet that the games are plugged into. Unplug any other load from the wall and test:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide#post-1945125

Quoted from sbmania:

It would do this even when turned off and plugged into a surge protector which itself was turned off.

This is our 2nd important clue

The switch on a Surge Protector only cuts the HOT Wire (black wire) on and off. It does not switch the Ground or the Neutral (white wire)

So if the game still has voltage, even though the power strip is OFF, that tells us you have 115vac on the Neutral wire.

-

Go test your wall outlets and report back....

1 week later
    #142 5 years ago

So at some point, your machine got miswired.

Your instincts were right, black to black is correct.

#144 5 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

5 minutes in and out, house has not burned down.

Now that the game is properly grounded, it is much less likely to burn the house down...

Congrats on the repair!

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Finally found the problem. The power strip the game was plugged into had a loose ground plug. I replaced the power strip and everything is fine now.
    Not sure why the faulty power strip ground plug would allow 110v from the game that was plugged into it to flow to other games plugged into other wall sockets via the metal trim? Any ideas? I thought usually you would see 50v with a bad ground plug, not 110.

Like YeOld said, you have not found the real problem yet.

The power strip **might** have been wired wrong internally, but that is so remote of a possibility, that I can't even think about it (unless it's an old metal one that has real Duplex outlets in it.

Do you have a multimeter?

If you do, do this test, it's important:

Do both sockets in the Duplex.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My question is, any reason why I shouldn’t just splice the severed cord back together rather than replace?

Do it right and replace the entire cord.

Splice will not pass any inspector, it's not code.

If your wife ever sells it after you are gone, the whole game will be called into question because of the splice.

1 week later
    #158 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wifflenut:

I just replaced the old cord on my Williams Swinger and whenever I have the machine plugged in and flip the switch underneath it will automatically turn on and keep going through the reset functions. Any idea what is causing this? To my knowledge I installed the new cord correctly (Ribbed/yellow replaced with new white, smooth/brown replaced with black, the old wire was not connected to the ground but I have tried both ways)
    Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Probably not the cord itself, but something you bumped while installing it.

Assuming it worked properly before.

1 week later
    #162 5 years ago

A Thermistor is one type of protection, and a MOV another.

Both have a job to do, when they fail replace with the proper component.

Remember that re-import games often will have 240v components that need to swapped to 130v parts.

#164 5 years ago

Generally the MOV is on the terminals of the little filter module right where the game gets the power plugged in.

Maybe under a rubber boot ?

#166 5 years ago

^ keep the game like the factory made it.

You can't just swap the MOV and Thermistor - bad things will happen.

The cord plugs into a metal silver filter module at the back of the cab, sometimes with a rubber boot over the terminals.

If there is a MOV, it is often under the boot, across the two terminals.

#169 5 years ago
    Quoted from radfordian3505:

just looked and no mov just push in red terminals 3 to be exact

Then it may never had had one.

Does the schematics show one installed, or is it already included in the power filter module?

#171 5 years ago
    Quoted from radfordian3505:

I don't see one but I believe it was a freak accident and if i I just replace the flipptronics board it should be ok right

Well.....

You have to see why the game does not boot.

See if you have power, then see if the MPU has power, then go from there.

Open a "storm killed my JM thread", and we'll figure it out.

4 months later
    #183 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

It looks to me like according to the classic Bally games, my older Stern is wired incorrectly? Is this a correct assumption? It looks to resemble more the wiring from the Williams games.

In this pic, the ribbed plug side is soldered to the right lug, the ground to the center and the smooth plug side soldered to the left tab.

We have to keep everything consistent:

Smooth Wire = Hot
    Brown Wire = Hot
    Black Wire = Hot

Your game ends up being correct in the long run, but the obviously the brown & blue jumper wires are reversed.

Hard to tell from the pic, but if you have enough length on the black & white wire lead, you could just remove the blue and brown jumpers, and put the black wires directly on the smooth side of the filter, and the white wires on the ribbed side.

#186 5 years ago

The MOV is so cheap, just replace it because most likely it's the wrong voltage - the photo is too blurry to read it.

1 month later
    #191 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Is it possible if you switched the neutral and hot wires when soldering the plug to the filter that you would get absolutely no juice into the game at all??

It would probably still turn on.

Don't guess, get your meter out and make sure you have power at the wall outlet, and the inlet of the line filter

1 week later
    #196 5 years ago
    Quoted from slgerber:

But the leads of the thermistor is clearly smaller than 18ga as is the small wire from my fuse (I changed it from 8 to 5 amps) to the filter. What am I missing in that it has to pass whatever the machine will draw. Doesn't that suggest that the 18ga power cord is plenty large?

Your power cord is 4 meters long.

You lose some small amount of juice every centimeter of length from resistance.

A fuse or themister is only 3cm long, so we don't lose much across that length.

and, of course....

The heavier gauge of the cord, the less resistance loss.

The heavier gauge of the cord, the better made it is (better plug, better jacket).

Drive once around the block on garbage night, cut the cords off of every fridge and washing machine you see. You will have a lifetime supply of 12 gauge cords.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from RichWolfson:

I noticed there is no thermistor and none noted on the schematic in the manual. Should find one and install it? Hopefully my local electrical supply place will have one or the one remaining electronics store in the area which is always a fun stop.

You can add one, but they did not come standard on Williams games until latter.

#201 5 years ago
    Quoted from slgerber:

Wow, 4 meter power cord, seems long but ok.

In the States, code is nowadays 2 meters between outlets, but I've been in plenty of older basements and bars where they are much farther apart than that.

I like to be able to pull a game out from the row for service, and still have it plugged in.

That's why high end fridges have long cords & water lines, you can pull them out from the alcove to clean behind them - without going through any acrobatics re-plugging them

#203 5 years ago
    Quoted from RichWolfson:

I got a medical grade cord.

Those are nice!

Quoted from RichWolfson:

Should I add one or is it not necessary?

I don't add them, so it's hard to tell someone else they should.

1 year later
    #223 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Replacing the line cord on Panthera (sys 80)
    Do I have these wires right?[quoted image]

You did not show the other side of the filter, but you have correctly identified the incoming wires.

1 month later
    #228 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mazinga111:

Since my MOV and Thermistor both have black colored disks, how do I know if they've already "sacrificed" themselves. Further, how can I tell what voltage they are manufactured for? I don't see any markings that denote voltage like 130V. Should I just assume that since the wire was EU coded that whomever did that switch also switched these to the 275V and I should replace anyway with a lower voltage rating?

Since it's a reimport, I'd assume that everything is incorrect

The parts from GPE are so cheap, no reason not to properly protect the game

#229 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mazinga111:

Downstream from the power supply but before the plastic connector to the transformer there is a splice job. Can I just properly cap this and then re-tape or is there something else I need to do here?

I'd gently suggest that you crimp new ends on new wire

Any splices are always going to put the game into doubt

Someone here can post pics of how those connectors should be wired, and you can refer to the back pages of the manual

#231 3 years ago
    Quoted from Madmax541:

I wired it as it was previous
    Brown to white, Blue to black
    Reading your guide it seems opposite.
    This was wired up previously but in a non working game.

Brown should be hot, so fix that.

Otherwise you will get your cock zapped if you try to squeeze between 2 games, reaching for the backbox.

1 week later
    #234 3 years ago

If you unplug it, does the game still hum?"

"

#236 3 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:No, only when plugged in and turned off.

Check with your meter if the Hot and Neutral are reversed.

The switch should cut the HOT wire off

1 month later
    #238 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Why is 14 AWG wire called for the service outlet when the cable that goes from the wall to the in line filter is typically a 18 AWG cable?

what is the benefit of using thicket wire just at the service outlet?

I am asking this because I am replacing the power cord in my game and the cable I got from Marcos is a 18/3 15 feet long.

The wiring gauge is for the total amperage of the circuit.

No one assumes that a single 3A pinball load will be the only thing plugged into a 15A circuit. There might be 6 duplexes along the walls or even in other rooms all daisy chained into a single 14 gauge romex running back to the 15A breaker.

In your kitchen, you have 12 gauge (thicker) wire, because that is a 20A circuit. The electrician knew that you would have a bunch of high-current appliances all running at the same time.

Your Stove is on a 50A breaker with super thick 6 gauge wire, but because it is the only thing on the circuit, it's breaker is much closer to the actual load.

18ga cable is on the thinner side for sure.

You could get a 16, 14 or 12 gauge extension cord at Menards for cheap, and have all the sexy colors to match your game....

3700581-1 (resized).jpg3700581-1 (resized).jpgSENS516835_back (resized).jpgSENS516835_back (resized).jpg
    #240 3 years ago

Again, you likely won't ever have 15A of current being drawn from the game's outlet

But it certainly won't hurt to use heavier duty wire

Some "stabber" wire connections on the back of the outlets only accept 14ga solid wire, where as the screw terminal ones can accept 12 to 20ga

1 month later
    #243 3 years ago

^ looks correct.

1 month later
    #248 3 years ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

I need to replace the power cord on the 1963 Big Deal I’m fixing. I would also like to add a power switch, right now plugging the machine in will turn it on. I have replaced cords before but never added a Power Switch.
    If you look at the schematic, would the new power switch go where the red arrow points? My plan is to ground at the transformer and then run ground braid to all the legs and coin door/lock bar per this guide.
    Thanks
    Alberto
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, have the switch interrupt the Hot conductor

3 weeks later
    #251 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

This is from Medusa. I have the neutral (ribbed) on the right, and the hot (smooth) on the left. This is the opposite of your Bally SS picture.

I have a new cord and intend to fully replace the old one (ground plug cut off), but I also don’t want to die. Am I looking at this correctly?

Let's look at it a different way:

Instead of **left and right** handedness, how about looking at the colors on the other side of the filter.

See how your ribbed wire (Neutral) goes into the filter and comes out as Blue (Neutral)?

See how your smooth wire (Hot) goes into the filter and comes out as Brown (Hot)?

So, previous owners of this game have it wired correctly.

When you change the cord, the Black wire will go through the filter into the Brown (Hot) side, and the White wire will go through to the Blue (Neutral) side.

-

Now that you look at it that way, it makes total sense, yes?

3b14e8e852b5e55c82b201108de0386953f34371 (resized).jpg3b14e8e852b5e55c82b201108de0386953f34371 (resized).jpg
    #258 2 years ago

Put meter on 200v AC

Put one probe on blue, the other on brown

Should read ~120v AC

#261 2 years ago

Mov could be bad, switch could be going, new cord could have Short,

Start at plug with your meter, work your way back

Make sure there is no solder splash or wire fines touching the metal filter case. Bend them up and away from the case.

#268 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks Vid. If my line filter is shorted or bad, would a generic 115V replacement line filter suffice?[quoted image][quoted image]

Sure, just make sure the amperage rating is equal or higher than the oem

#273 2 years ago
    Quoted from swayzewaters:

What about Data East games? I’m specifically working on WWF and looking to replace the whole cord. I figured I’d wing it but everything about this thread says do not.

Post some well lit, focused pics... We'll walk you through it

1 week later
    #275 2 years ago

There is another undescribed fault in the above scenario , as adding/removing ground from the transformer frame (from an otherwise properly wired game) would not cause the grounded parts to suddenly energize

2 months later
    #283 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Any chance someone knows the part number or a source to replace the missing grommet from this Gottlieb System 80B? I’m redoing this machine, and don’t want to plug it in again with sharp bare sheet metal against the cord and no strain relief.[quoted image][quoted image]

Take the plate up to the hardware store and have the guy match you up with a Grommet or Strain Relief that fits

If nothing on earth is available, then switch to a metal one

71e2ait6-XL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg71e2ait6-XL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #289 2 years ago
    Quoted from Axl:

I am having a problem with my Whirlwind. Every time i turn it on, the fuse trips, I'm in norway, so its 220V and the fuse is 16amp.
    Looking at the powerbox the MOV is installed. could the MOV be bad?
    [quoted image]

MOV could be bad.

Check it with your meter, or snip one leg and then see if the breaker holds.

1 month later
    #293 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mathazar:

Is this a wiring problem, even tho the original working config out of the filter before tear-down was Blue to Black and Brown to White?

That's backwards

Brown is Hot, thus should go to Black, and be fused

1 month later
    #308 2 years ago
    Quoted from Greenfun13:

Since I'll be wiring up the new outlet I figure I may as well solder a new thermistor in. How dangerous, if at all is it to continue to use the machine like this?

Make sure the line cord coming in that the hot wire is indeed the one with the black shrink sleeve around it

Make sure the proper amp fuse is in the holder.

Make sure your MOV is 130v unit

3 weeks later
    #315 2 years ago
    Quoted from killborn:

I just picked up a Gottlieb System 3 Gladiators import and noticed that the power cord has been changed back to a standard US plug. I haven't encountered a converted machine before, but when I started looking at the schematics and doing a little research, the black and white wires look like their swapped. Can someone verify this for me? Is there something I'm missing?

That's a mess.

You need a strain relief/grommet so the edge of the metal plate does not cut through the insulation. PBR has the whole plate/relief assembly for $4

Then get rid of those splices and wire the cord directly to the molex block (yes, it's currently reversed )

You will need a crimper to terminate the molex ends (or have PBR make you the entire assembly)

gtb-a14180 (resized).jpggtb-a14180 (resized).jpg
    3 months later
    #322 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Vid, I was with my new home inspector today and watched him test a GFCI outlet that was ungrounded. It didn’t trip. I’m assuming the button on his tester made a connection between the hot and ground.

Probably just an old, bad GFCI

(that's why they make testers for them...)

Replacing it with a new one, will protect it, and any outlets downstream

#323 2 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

the ultimate fix is rewire the entire house to get ground wire everywhere, we recently did our 1948 house for the same reason.

Yep, and your homeowner's insurance will probably go down too .

4 months later
    #336 1 year ago
    Quoted from EEE:

I’m interested to hear if this is incorrect.

it's a dark pic, but it looks correct from what I can see

2 weeks later
    #340 1 year ago

^ yep, way cheaper to just chop up commercial extension cords.

Right after Christmas, the heavy duty green or red outdoor ones are 90% off, so you can usually get them for a buck or two... If that somehow matches your games color scheme.

2 months later
    #343 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

So did Bally wire the game incorrectly from the factory? I noticed the factory plug was NOT the polarized type. eg, both prongs are the same size. What's the easiest way to fix this? Install a new plug, or open the junction box where the off/on switch resides and see how they have it wired? Thanks!!

It had a 3 prong cord from the factory, if yours' did not, then someone replaced the cord incorrectly before you owned it.

Post some wet lit, focused pics of the current cord wiring....

1 week later
    #345 1 year ago

You can see solder splash on the filter, so you know someone has messed with it.

#347 1 year ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Here are some pics of my Mousin' Around wiring. It all seems to be factory to me, but I have 60v AC between Mousin Around lock down bar and any other nearby game's lock down bar. Any thoughts on what's going on? Seems like the polarity is wrong on Mousin.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So start here with your meter and check EACH outlet and powerstrip your games are plugged into:

#349 1 year ago

Are you seeing the AC warning on the meter?

Are you testing in AC or DC?

10 months later
    #360 6 months ago

^ Looks like clean work!

3 months later
    #365 87 days ago

^ Just start with a clean, new wiring.

Run the Neutral to the Transformer.

Run the Ground to the Transformer case.

Run the Hot to the Fuse, then on to the Switch, then on to the Transformer

#370 87 days ago

OK, think about the logic here:

If you just hooked up the Hot and Neutral straight to the transformer, the game would come on, right?

So you need to break the Hot connection with a switch. The switch simply disconnects the Hot, or reconnects the Hot. That's all it does.

Take your volt meter, put it in beep mode and hook it up to any 2 tabs on the switch. See how if the switch is in the ON position, the meter beeps? When it's in the OFF position, the beeping stops? Play with this until it makes sense.

-

The fuse cuts off the HOT from the machine should any overload or fault occur. This should be the first thing the HOT is connected to.

-

The GROUND connects to the frame bolt of the transformer, giving us a path if some fault occurs in the windings.

-

HOT comes in the machine, connects to one side of the FUSE, the other side of the FUSE gets wired to one tab of the SWITCH, the other SWITCH tab goes to the TRANSFORMER tab.

The NEUTRAL come in the machine and goes directly to the other tab on the TRANSFORMER.

The GROUND comes in the machine goes directly to the frame bolt of the TRANSFORMER.

Drawn on my phone, sorry about the quality, lol:

WIRINGd (resized).pngWIRINGd (resized).png
    #376 86 days ago

We can't see what you have there.

If it is not connected to anything, then disconnect it from the fuse and tape it off so it does not accidentally touch anything else. If you ever get the needed coin mechs, you still have your wire in place and available.

#378 86 days ago
    Quoted from BenTheCartoon:

Gotcha. I might just make a separate thread for this game so I don’t clog this one up. Thanks for your help so far! As far as the rest of it goes, does it look right, or should I try to take a better picture?

It looks right from what I can see.

You can plug it into a power strip, then flip it on, but ready to turn off in an instant.

Probably be fine (better than it ever was safety wise)

#382 81 days ago

The filter doesn't care if Hot is on left or right (otherwise the filter would label the hot).

What's important is that you continue the Hot from one side of the filter straight through to the other side.

#384 81 days ago
    Quoted from emsrph:

Yeah, that’s what I suspected. They’re not straight thru the way they were.
    Thanks for confirming. I’ll change it.
    [quoted image]

Gotcha.

I could not see the reversal on my phone

#386 80 days ago

You are paying more for the 20a rating on that GFCI, but yes, it will work

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.