(Topic ID: 228596)

Orbitor 1 - Scratch build, reaching for the stars!

By Isochronic_Frost

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0C5EDA07-568C-49E7-9675-89A30D9EDF15 (resized).jpeg
8294B4AD-7459-4787-A051-6EF3C2610110 (resized).jpeg
52E06FDF-ED11-400A-A06F-ADF89B56F5B7 (resized).jpeg
orbitor1_opto (resized).jpg
triangle (resized).jpeg
Orbitor1PlayfieldPartsHL.pdf (PDF preview)
Orbitor1CWMotor (resized).jpg
0CFD2241-BA4B-4EE7-BF49-8D76ED95C840 (resized).png
20200510_123855.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
4157BAC2-B93E-47FF-8ED7-DEADB4649706.jpeg
7AB2D998-F80E-45F9-8D29-2DE41BB21EE3.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herbertbsharp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 5 years ago

This is a really cool project. It reminds me of the time (before MMR) that guy scratch built a Medieval Madness. I also can't believe how quickly you were able to get the cabinet and backglass.

#12 5 years ago

Of you want someone to pick it up and deliver, UShip is probably your best bet. It will probably be a lot more than a service like UPS though.

2 years later
#177 2 years ago

These are going the to be the best and cheapest guys that can handle the bracket fab in the area. They need 2d drawings, they can't deal with 3d models, but they can make what you need. Have your drawings ready to email and know what quantities you want quoted, they don't have a lot of patience. I worked with them for years outsourcing parts for GE turbines. But for the love of God, do not tell them I sent you, me and the owner hate each other at this point lol.

https://m.facebook.com/Bmanuf/

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

The fabrication industry in general is moving away from 2D drawings to specify parts. Most shops now use CNC in at least part of the fabrication process and they convert the 3D model directly into the CNC files. For sheet metal work, they use the 3D model to create the flat cutout shape and cut the sheet on a CNC laser cutter or water jet. Some shops even use CNC forming machines.
I haven't done detailed 2D drawings in years. Dimensioning a 2D drawing is a royal pain, and takes as much (or even more) time as creating the 3D model itself. I do include a 2D overview drawing with my models. It shows only the extents dimensions and includes manufacturing notes, self-clenching fasteners, and thread callouts, etc. But the 3D model now serves as the master and all dimensions are derived from the model. This saves a significant amount of time in documenting the design and is actually less prone to error than using only a 2D drawing.

Jesus Christ. These guys are pretty backwards. They are a smaller shop but they are cheap and the quality is there. You just have to put up with some of their shit. We tried sending them models a bunch of times and they couldn't deal. They might be better at working with 3D models in the 5+ years since I dealt with them but I don't know. If you like to stop by and consult with them go right ahead. But as far as I know the easiest way to work with them for quoting is to have the modeling program dump the 2D drawings. Send them the whole package.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herbertbsharp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-a-scratch-build-reaching-for-the-stars?tu=herbertbsharp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.