(Topic ID: 228596)

Orbitor 1 - Scratch build, reaching for the stars!

By Isochronic_Frost

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0C5EDA07-568C-49E7-9675-89A30D9EDF15 (resized).jpeg
8294B4AD-7459-4787-A051-6EF3C2610110 (resized).jpeg
52E06FDF-ED11-400A-A06F-ADF89B56F5B7 (resized).jpeg
orbitor1_opto (resized).jpg
triangle (resized).jpeg
Orbitor1PlayfieldPartsHL.pdf (PDF preview)
Orbitor1CWMotor (resized).jpg
0CFD2241-BA4B-4EE7-BF49-8D76ED95C840 (resized).png
20200510_123855.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
4157BAC2-B93E-47FF-8ED7-DEADB4649706.jpeg
7AB2D998-F80E-45F9-8D29-2DE41BB21EE3.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Now that some of my parts have come together, in just one single day I’ve gone from nothing, to having an empty cab, and a backglass and bubble.

This build has been inspired by how awe-inspiring Orbitor 1 is. Such an incredibly peculiar machine that has utterly enthralled me.

Why from scratch, you might ask? Because I can do the necessary mods to improve O1 as I go. This game, for instance, will be lit with color-changing LED strips, and I won’t bother with the florescent tube or hardware at all. Any other suggestions or mods appreciated!

My other inspiration for a scratch build was how many owners have extra pieces, or even full doubles of this game, just to use for parts. There are enough parts games laying around to be build back into a full player with enough TLC.

Progress as I acquire the needed pieces will be posted here. I currently have 3 different restorations going at the moment. However, this is my first documented one as it is the most intensive undertaking to-date for me.

My priority list now is:
An O1 backbox/lightbox
If need be any Stern Electronics head will do.
Spinning bumpers
7-bank drop target
Orbitor stand up target.
Plastic set
Shooter rod/plunger

A populated playfield would be ideal, if anyone has leads I would greatly appreciate it!
79A87B8C-264A-4744-8410-752F3A415ABA.jpeg79A87B8C-264A-4744-8410-752F3A415ABA.jpegC0B83025-DBC9-4DE1-8069-4CF1168ECC27.jpegC0B83025-DBC9-4DE1-8069-4CF1168ECC27.jpegEEDAB4F2-8D10-4D00-888A-6F1482CECAB7.jpegEEDAB4F2-8D10-4D00-888A-6F1482CECAB7.jpeg

#2 5 years ago

I have play field. I know some parts missing.

#3 5 years ago

This is a really cool project. It reminds me of the time (before MMR) that guy scratch built a Medieval Madness. I also can't believe how quickly you were able to get the cabinet and backglass.

#4 5 years ago

Why on earth didn't I buy the one for sale at Allentown this year? Oh yeah.....because I was stoooopid.

Good luck with your project!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Why on earth didn't I buy the one for sale at Allentown this year? Oh yeah.....because I was stoooopid.
Good luck with your project!

That was the one I was looking to buy last year, went up for sale at Allentown because I didn’t jump in time, then it turns out the cab I just bought is the SAME ONE! it’s just changed a few extra hands!

As far as anyone knows, are the flippers standard Stern Electronics? Will flippers from other Stern games of the late 70’s and 80’s work on it?

#6 5 years ago

the spinners are going to be damn near impossible to find unless you find another that is parted out.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the spinners are going to be damn near impossible to find unless you find another that is parted out.

Are they special? I do have a spinner I was taking off the Seawitch playfield I have, can I just use that or no?

#8 5 years ago

is it a optical spinner? Spinners on orbitor, have an opto and a clear plastic disc with black marks printed on it. So when the ball hits the spinner, it slows down ever so slightly and the game can acknowledge it and score the points.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

is it a optical spinner? Spinners on orbitor, have an opto and a clear plastic disc with black marks printed on it. So when the ball hits the spinner, it slows down ever so slightly and the game can acknowledge it and score the points.

You mean the spinner bumpers, not the actual spinner then?
Yes I have leads on the 2 spinning bumpers

#10 5 years ago

yes. I ment the bumpers. Forgot about the basic spinner, which is just a basic spinner.

#11 5 years ago

Playfield located!
If anyone has suggestions on shippers from Ohio to New York, it would be greatly appeciated. Would rather a person pick this up than drive 11 hours for it or risk mailing it

Still need:
Backbox/Head
Spinning bumpers
Lockdown assembly
Coin door

#12 5 years ago

Of you want someone to pick it up and deliver, UShip is probably your best bet. It will probably be a lot more than a service like UPS though.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Of you want someone to pick it up and deliver, UShip is probably your best bet. It will probably be a lot more than a service like UPS though.

I’ve posted my game up there, getting really high estimates though! At first it was $250 and then I added pictures and they said $800

#14 5 years ago

Cool project but why not just buy a nice original?
I have had one posted in PNW thread for a couple months.

Best of luck with remaing parts. you already have a healthy amount of them!

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Cool project but why not just buy a nice original?
I have had one posted in PNW thread for a couple months.
Best of luck with remaing parts. you already have a healthy amount of them!

Well, one reason was that all the for sale ones were further than I want to go and I didn’t want to ship a game like that either.

Secondly, when I was pursing an Orbitor to buy I ended up running into a lot of owners with a multitude of extra parts and sometimes an extra Orbitor they simply used for parts! That got me thinking that maybe I could make a machine from all the extras people have.

I thought it would be fun to see if it was possible and along the way I could change some things as I saw fit.

Since it’s being Frankenstien’d anyway, creative mods along the way shouldn’t be a big issue!

My boardset is on the way this weekend! Now I gotta start making my own head for it, I guess!

I also have special plastic to make a custom outhole protector.

#16 5 years ago

Sounds fun to make mods for the title. I love space themed games!
I will look back for pictures in the future. As long as I have my original you are welcome to ask for pictures.

#17 5 years ago

I'm in the minority of Pinsiders that like this game. When the game set up in a dark room is great to look at. The ability to actually hit the ball backwards with the flippers is fun. Hitting the drop targets is challenging. With all of that clear plastic, Novus is going to be your friend. "Shoot Pinball, Shoot Pinball".

2 weeks later
#18 5 years ago

Does anyone make a new wiring harness for this game? I need a complete wiring harness for the backbox to the playfield. I can look into making it by hand but just checking if anyone knows of a shop reproducing the required harnesses!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Does anyone make a new wiring harness for this game? I need a complete wiring harness for the backbox to the playfield. I can look into making it by hand but just checking if anyone knows of a shop reproducing the required harnesses!

Contact Shawn at Third Coast Pinball. He is producing back box harnesses and play field harnesses for some of us who are restoring some Classic Stern pins.

I looked at the O1 drawings at IPDB. And O1 is the same basic wiring as the other classic Sterns There are some differences but I think minor.

https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1180-third-coast-pinball

#20 5 years ago

the wiring harness in hand would have been the deciding factor before even attempting this project.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Contact Shawn at Third Coast Pinball. He is producing back box harnesses and play field harnesses for some of us who are restoring some Classic Stern pins.
I looked at the O1 drawings at IPDB. And O1 is the same basic wiring as the other classic Sterns There are some differences but I think minor.
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1180-third-coast-pinball

Thanks so much, Shawn is on board with the project! We’re making our approach fast and smooth.
Expect exciting updates within the coming weeks!

#22 5 years ago

Bob Cunningham can do he shipping

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the wiring harness in hand would have been the deciding factor before even attempting this project.

Sometimes, Captain, you just have to roll the dice.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Sometimes, Captain, you just have to roll the dice.
Sometimes it just takes balls to have that vision that it will all work out
[quoted image]

Sometimes all ya need is a wing and a prayer, and a half dozen helpful pinsiders to get the silver ball rollin'

New, updated list as of tonight:
• Backglass and bubble
• O1 Cabinet
• Complete board-set and displays

Pending/In Progress:
• O1 Populated playfield from Pincinnati (If you're from New England and going, please let me know, I'd like to plan backup transport just in case)
• Black Stern coin door OR Seawitch coin door
• Harness wiring in progress (Thanks to Third Coast Pinball)
• lockdown receiver

Still needed:
• Cabinet hardware
• transformer and assembly
• O1 Head (unlikely) Will begin building one next week
• Flippers (I believe flippers off Seawitch should work for this?)
• Spinning bumpers (Haven't heard from my contact in a while, going to begin the search again for these)
• tilt assembly in cab

#25 5 years ago

Sometimes all ya need is a wing and a prayer, and a half dozen helpful pinsiders to get the silver ball rollin'

3 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

Coin Door is here! (Big thanks to @lmjdad)

It’s starting to come together and I’m thrilled!
I didn’t realize I’d need the black metal that surrounds the coindoor. I’m not sure what it’s called.

I have confirmation the Playfield was picked up this evening and is en route!

Current List:
• Backglass and bubble
• O1 Cabinet
• Complete board-set and displays
• Black Stern coin door

Pending/In Progress:
• O1 Populated playfield on the way
• Harness wiring in progress (Thanks to Third Coast Pinball)
• lockdown receiver
Still needed:
• Cabinet hardware
• transformer and assembly
• O1 Head (unlikely) Will begin building one in the weeks ahead
• Flippers (I believe flippers off Seawitch should work for this?)
• Spinning bumpers (Haven't heard from my contact in a while, going to begin the search again for these)
• tilt assembly in cab

5474F418-336D-4F5D-A61F-E8AD62287C6B.jpeg5474F418-336D-4F5D-A61F-E8AD62287C6B.jpegC4E3827F-339C-4176-9105-7C275689DE43.jpegC4E3827F-339C-4176-9105-7C275689DE43.jpeg452A41B3-4187-4E9D-A59D-C1A41FC2AB5A.jpeg452A41B3-4187-4E9D-A59D-C1A41FC2AB5A.jpeg
#27 5 years ago

I just discovered this thread.
I can’t believe you found a back glass and bubble. I have a back glass but would love to find a new bubble.

I’m going to love watching this thread.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

#28 5 years ago

In one of Game Room Collectables you tube videos, mechanic Ray was showing and Orbitor frame with those spinning bumpers. The video is not new but you might give them a call. Sure cannot hurt.

1 week later
#29 5 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Big surprise to me, Bob Cunningham came early and delivered the playfield as a huge surprise to me!
036FA4EC-DC74-4179-BDAD-C9A54EFE3448.jpeg036FA4EC-DC74-4179-BDAD-C9A54EFE3448.jpeg
5FE4621E-A22D-4C3A-ABCD-4C4BA0B4AEF1.jpeg5FE4621E-A22D-4C3A-ABCD-4C4BA0B4AEF1.jpegD7AE0B82-7EC5-4DB1-B843-3AA527DA3FEC.jpegD7AE0B82-7EC5-4DB1-B843-3AA527DA3FEC.jpeg

I’m thrilled, this machine is coming together so fast!
There were even some surprises...
some good, some bad!

Now that I have the playfield, I was able to dig into it and see what I needed.

It was missing more than I was informed... which always sucks but I’ve come to expect many unforeseen circumstances that come along with buying projects and especially sight unseen deals. I had a handful of pics of this but you couldn’t tell very well until it is in front of you.

I’m missing several coils and coil stop brackets, including the captive ball coil and the ball trough coil stop. Also missing the targets and parts of both drop target assemblies... and it turns out the spinners and flipper assemblies are COMPLETELY gone.
185DC368-60F7-4B74-8F97-B175BA2AE816.jpeg185DC368-60F7-4B74-8F97-B175BA2AE816.jpeg4E30A876-9098-423E-BF87-225513A7997E.jpeg4E30A876-9098-423E-BF87-225513A7997E.jpeg4EB1D5C0-509D-441F-8777-89F5D5C88A9A.jpeg4EB1D5C0-509D-441F-8777-89F5D5C88A9A.jpegEEEF944C-0D76-4896-A097-2711091E4D44.jpegEEEF944C-0D76-4896-A097-2711091E4D44.jpegEFE5ABFD-78CB-4A69-B565-C634B37AA3F7.jpegEFE5ABFD-78CB-4A69-B565-C634B37AA3F7.jpegFBAC6556-808F-439E-AD02-68850C3D0238.jpegFBAC6556-808F-439E-AD02-68850C3D0238.jpeg
Almost all the lights have fallen out of the playfield, so I will have to figure out which they are and reglue. But that is a common Orbitor issue.
3FBD5683-A383-40AD-BA4D-2182415A98C5.jpeg3FBD5683-A383-40AD-BA4D-2182415A98C5.jpeg
—————————————————————————

The GOOD news:
It appears there is an mostly complete wiring harness after all?? It was tucked in under the huge, long “ORBITOR” drop target bank and zip-tied in.
image.jpgimage.jpg

#30 5 years ago

Does anyone have pics of an undamaged as new drain hole..top and bottom?
I need to work something out to fix mine.

I've also sent my spinner rubbers to Titan to see if they can make new replacements.

#31 5 years ago

that outhole actually looks really good. I was going to design a pvc insert for the hole, that was beveled at the top to absorb the shock damage from the ball and allow a smooth transition to the metal guide. make groves on the bottom end to fit the ball drain rails, and a tunnel arch to let the ball roll to the shooter lane. Bevel the top rim at a 45 degree angle and flush with the playfield surface.

#32 5 years ago

I'm in for one neo!

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that outhole actually looks really good. I was going to design a pvc insert for the hole, that was beveled at the top to absorb the shock damage from the ball and allow a smooth transition to the metal guide. make groves on the bottom end to fit the ball drain rails, and a tunnel arch to let the ball roll to the shooter lane. Bevel the top rim at a 45 degree angle and flush with the playfield surface.

That's a great idea. The outhole on this game is perfect. No chips! I want to keep it that way.

1 week later
#34 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I was going to design a pvc insert for the hole

Hi Neo, I would be in for one too.

#35 5 years ago

i'll test run the design in a couple of months. Right now big changes are happening to the gameroom

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'll test run the design in a couple of months. Right now big changes are happening to the gameroom

My Orbitor has some unusual black plastic protector in it already. I only realized it recently that it’s not stock.

76C835B8-3FC1-4CA3-A58A-BCF345D31BD3.jpeg76C835B8-3FC1-4CA3-A58A-BCF345D31BD3.jpeg
3 weeks later
#37 5 years ago

Okay, took me a few minutes to figure out what I was looking at. (Never been under the hood of an Orbitor before...) So all the mechanicals are mounted to the solid piece below with the playfield mounted above? Makes sense. A lot of non-traditional methodology here.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Okay, took me a few minutes to figure out what I was looking at. (Never been under the hood of an Orbitor before...) So all the mechanicals are mounted to the solid piece below with the playfield mounted above? Makes sense. A lot of non-traditional methodology here.

Same, it is very unique. I didn’t know what to really expect from it.

1 month later
#40 5 years ago

Thank you, herbertbsharp already messaged me on it and I’m talking with him. I’m hoping I can score this. I may buy the head too, but that would leave me with an extra backglass.
Anyone interested in a 3D Orbitor 1 backglass?

#41 5 years ago

Anyone interested in a 3D Orbitor 1 backglass?

I'm sure you'll find a taker at some point. Don't let that stop you from grabbing the backbox if you need it.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'm sure you'll find a taker at some point. Don't let that stop you from grabbing the backbox if you need it.

Yeah at first I was hesistant but if I am able to get it from him I’m taking both. I really need that head!

#43 5 years ago

Yeah at first I was hesistant but if I am able to get it from him I’m taking both. I really need that head!

I’m thinking this could qualify for the score of a decade.

1 week later
#44 5 years ago

I could use a new bubble BG if you have one. Mine has a big deep scratch in it.

#45 5 years ago

No excitement in the NW for this pin. Maybe I will part out my working game....
Sounds like people grt real excited about parts but no interest complete!
This is an odd pin for sure but still fun and different. Good for medium to large collection IMO.

Amazing work obtaining parts thus far. Hope all is going well!

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I could use a new bubble BG if you have one. Mine has a big deep scratch in it.

Mine has a large scuff on the front as well. They’re not easy to buff out, what a bummer!

Quoted from Shoot_Again:

No excitement in the NW for this pin. Maybe I will part out my working game....
Sounds like people grt real excited about parts but no interest complete!
This is an odd pin for sure but still fun and different. Good for medium to large collection IMO.
Amazing work obtaining parts thus far. Hope all is going well!

I’m sorry you’re still having trouble selling your game, I thought you already sold it as I didn’t see the ad up any longer. It can sit for a long time, not a quick mover. The one near me for sale was up for probably 4 months before it sold.
Don’t part it out, that’s a shame! Novelty games take a long time to sell. Have you put out ads on Facebook and craigslist? Facebook has tons of collectors that for some reason won’t get off that horrid website

#47 5 years ago

The one near me for sale was up for probably 4 months before it sold.
Don’t part it out, that’s a shame! Novelty games take a long time to sell.

Truer words have never been spoken. When selling, patience is a virtue.

#48 5 years ago

10 months off and on. No reason to post to facebook. And $2400 is not unreasonable. In fact I paid more for it than I am asking!

So yeah the time will come were the only way to free up space will be to part it.

#49 5 years ago

Anyways back to your cool build thread!

Looking good so far. As always as long as I own the game feel free to ask any questions. I will make time to help you!

Happy Easter all!

#50 4 years ago

Just came across this thread. Cool project building an Orbitor 1!

I've got one in my Pinball Museum and it actually gets played a lot. People find it very interesting because it's so different than any other game. I actually think the game is under-rated. It's really a fairly hard game to master. Making those long shots to the upper drop targets is really difficult with the bowl shaped playfield. It could have definitely been better with a more complex rule set and some additional targets to hit, but it's not that bad compared to some other games of that era.

I have come across one issue. The flipper rebuild kit that's sold through several pinball parts suppliers is not exactly the right kit for Orbitor 1. I'm assuming mine has stock flipper assemblies. They sure look stock to me. The kits do have the correct plunger, link, spring, and coil sleeve. The EOS switch that comes in the kit doesn't include the secondary "flipper time check" switch that is stacked on the EOS switch. But the EOS switch in the kit will work, you just have to take apart the switch stack and replace only the EOS portion. The issue is the coil stop. What's in the kit is not even close. I haven't been able to find the correct coil stop yet. I made due by filing down the original. If anyone knows of a source (or even the part number) that would be a big help!

Good luck with your build! If you run into anything that you need help with, please don't hesitate to ask. I have mine apart at the moment to do some much needed maintenance. If you need any photos of the inner workings, let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 3.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

There are 193 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-a-scratch-build-reaching-for-the-stars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.