(Topic ID: 228596)

Orbitor 1 - Scratch build, reaching for the stars!

By Isochronic_Frost

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0C5EDA07-568C-49E7-9675-89A30D9EDF15 (resized).jpeg
8294B4AD-7459-4787-A051-6EF3C2610110 (resized).jpeg
52E06FDF-ED11-400A-A06F-ADF89B56F5B7 (resized).jpeg
orbitor1_opto (resized).jpg
triangle (resized).jpeg
Orbitor1PlayfieldPartsHL.pdf (PDF preview)
Orbitor1CWMotor (resized).jpg
0CFD2241-BA4B-4EE7-BF49-8D76ED95C840 (resized).png
20200510_123855.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
4157BAC2-B93E-47FF-8ED7-DEADB4649706.jpeg
7AB2D998-F80E-45F9-8D29-2DE41BB21EE3.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 5 years ago

I'm in the minority of Pinsiders that like this game. When the game set up in a dark room is great to look at. The ability to actually hit the ball backwards with the flippers is fun. Hitting the drop targets is challenging. With all of that clear plastic, Novus is going to be your friend. "Shoot Pinball, Shoot Pinball".

6 months later
#57 4 years ago

Back in 1982, I went to the local Gottlieb parts supplier to get some parts. In the showroom had a few pins and arcade games on display. While waiting for the parts guy I usually played a few pins. One day there was an Orbitor, I started playing it, a another guy comes out from the back and naturally states, "Hey Kids this is not an Arcade". He finally looked at me, I said, 'I am waiting for the parts guy'. The parts guy nodded. So the sales guy then asked, 'What do you think about this game?" I said, "That is unique and totally different. Clear curved playfield and the ability to hit the ball backwards is bizarre." Then he thanked me for the input. I never saw one of these games in any arcade locally. (Greater Vancouver). In a darker room this game stands out, brightly lit room with worn playfield it just looks so so.

2 weeks later
#71 4 years ago

Could you use Velcro strips. 1 side glued to the carboard, the other side glued to were the light fixture needs to positioned.

#72 4 years ago

Looking at your photos.

The cardboard rings look like they are to be attached to the underside of the playfield securely. Removing the bulbs requires squeezing the metal parts of the lamp base. Pulling the metal base out of the tube.

New replacement light shields could be made from plastic. If you used Velcro, you will need to cut the Velcro into squares, and removing a circle of material to allow the light to shine through. On the light tubes the velcro will have to folded back and glued onto the outside of the tubes.

#74 4 years ago

Those cardboard light tubes are pushed onto the playfield bottom, are they held by friction or is there evidence of a glue being used?

Plastic tubes could held on with surface tension, by putting thin tape on the posts for the lights. Ever so carefully pushing the tubes in place. Some care must be taken as that underside playfield plastic may have become brittle with age.

This sure proves how different these Orbitor 1s were.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Yes it’s got a thick, yellow-ish glue on most of them. I will post some pictures later when I pull it back out

Could of been 3M Automotive trim Adhesive. It was cheap and lasted a long time and is yellow or black.

1 month later
#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just curious, does anyone know what ROMs “Bowl” might be?

Do not know, but a guess would be the name they used for pre-production, since the playfield is not flat.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 125.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/orbitor-1-a-scratch-build-reaching-for-the-stars?tu=darcy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.