• Are You Being Served? 1 vote
  • The Simpsons 34 votes
    9%

(379 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Maltese-Falcon-2 (resized).jpg
IMG_6356 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 02-08-14 'It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia' Season 16 Premiere Date Who's Back and Everything You Need
main-qimg-4623e616195d094d47b6df8c03ae5578.png
fe44734e0d78add7aeba3f9c3476987d-3988248334.jpg
backdrop-1280 (resized).jpg
tumblr_okxtwrANyW1u501aoo2_400.gif
bettercallsaul0209151280jpg-f5539c_160w (resized).jpg
MVCOM-DARK-SHADOWS-24 (resized).jpg
d86 (resized).jpg
Whatcha Talkin bout Willis.gif
download (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
fred-flintstone-the-flintstones.gif
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 16 days ago

Ready for an all out bloodbath?

Ready to show your age?

Ready to bltch that MASH and I Love Lucy did not make the Top 20?

Get out and vote for the best of the best!

#2 16 days ago

Seinfeld!

Season 4 episode 11 titled "The Contest" is the best episode of the best series of all time. Try it out on Netflix if you've never watched the show as a great standalone episode to see what the show is about
... nothing!!!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 16 days ago

married with children.

#4 16 days ago

If you've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm, S08 E03 "Palestinian Chicken" will let you know if the series is for you or not.

There is no script. The actors have a 5 page outline of the plot, and then just 'play themselves'.

On HBO Max and Amazon Video

Not for the faint of heart...Not for the faint of heart...

#5 16 days ago

I went with The Office. Too many good scenes and great chemistry with the actors

I would also consider Parks and Rec, Arrested Development, and It’s Always Sunny

#6 16 days ago

All In the Family

#7 16 days ago

All in the Family.

#8 16 days ago

Although it did not make the top 20, The Good Place should have been up there (no spoilers)

Netflix & Amazon
The-Good-Place-Season-5-Cast (resized).jpegThe-Good-Place-Season-5-Cast (resized).jpeg

#9 16 days ago
Quoted from chad:

All In the Family

Shameless (US) would be the modern version.

If you want to sample Shameless (US) and see if it's for you, S09 E02 "Mo White!" will be all you need.

Netflix
MV5BZGFjMDE3NGMtZWIxZC00NjAyLWJjYTgtZGZjMjkxZmMwNDBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTA3MTMyOTk@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BZGFjMDE3NGMtZWIxZC00NjAyLWJjYTgtZGZjMjkxZmMwNDBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTA3MTMyOTk@._V1_ (resized).jpg

#10 16 days ago

Seinfeld Seinfeld Seinfeld
Period

#11 16 days ago

Seinfeld is an easy choice for me, I have watched it about nightly for years on reruns and now that it is on Netflix I often put it on in the background. Something about watching the same show for the 500th time is better than making a choice on Netflix on one of the 500+ choices for me

#12 16 days ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

Seinfeld is an easy choice for me, I have watched it about nightly for years

Beware that the reruns are sped-up to make room for more commercials.

Always watch it on Netflix to get the full slowburn.

#13 16 days ago

Star Trek the original series followed by bewitched . Sorry not to cast a vote for your list !

#14 16 days ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Star Trek the original series followed by bewitched . Sorry not to cast a vote for your list !

The list was top 20 from 200 sitcoms, so lots is missing from list

Not sure StarTrek was a SitCom (Situation Comedy), but there were a few funny moments no doubt

star-trek-trouble-with-tribbles (resized).jpgstar-trek-trouble-with-tribbles (resized).jpg
#15 16 days ago

Too much recency bias on the list for me. But based on what's there, I'm going with Curb. Otherwise, I've got Honeymooners and All in the Family as being the best.

#16 16 days ago

Pinside

#17 16 days ago

I voted Curb Your Enthusiasm, though I probably would have picked What We Do in the Shadows

#18 16 days ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Too much recency bias on the list for me. But based on what's there, I'm going with Curb.

Probably not too many people still alive who grew up watching 70 or 50 year old shows.

I was surprised that Are You Being Served? made the top 20, as it's probably 50+ years old (although crazy funny).

768x432 (resized).jpg768x432 (resized).jpg
#19 16 days ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Too much recency bias on the list for me. But based on what's there, I'm going with Curb. Otherwise, I've got Honeymooners and All in the Family as being the best.

great shows!

#20 16 days ago

What makes the best Sitcom? For me it is a sitcom that I can watch over and over and over and over again and it never gets old.

I watch Seinfeld and Arrested on a regular basis and I must have seen each episode 100's of times.

I also recommend checking out notes about nothing and director commentaries feature when watching some episodes. Learning detailed information on where, how, and who was involved is interesting.

I love Curb and Larry but it is a series I can't watch over and over-love the fact that Larry always is on the edge of pc acceptance and pushes the boundaries to the point that it makes people think. One of my favorite episodes is the pubic hair getting caught in the throat-classic

arrested-development-premature (resized).pngarrested-development-premature (resized).pngArrested (resized).jpgArrested (resized).jpgArrested. (resized).jpgArrested. (resized).jpg
#21 16 days ago

I voted Seinfeld. Simpson's were good for about 8 seasons with a few good episodes sprinkled in the last 114 seasons(I have no clue what year they are in right now.)
Community is underrated. Dropped off in quality around season 5, but really funny show.
I would have 100% voted for South Park. Only show with the balls to piss on cancel culture.

#22 16 days ago

That list is wacky.

Mash should be number 1 and I’d include Schitts Creek and The Big Bang Theory over some of those like Community or Scrubs.

We’ve been watching The New Girl that’s surprisingly good probably not top 20 but worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

Can’t believe Everybody loves Raymond isn’t on the list.

#23 16 days ago

This all depends on what racial group you ask Black Americans, Hispanic, Latino, American Indian, Whites, Asian etc.... I vote "Living Single" (Friends stole the idea), Fresh Prince, The Wonder Years, Martin, Blossom, Full House, Sanford and Son, Good Times, Family Matters, Saved by the Bell, King of the Hill, A Different World, I Love Lucy, What's Happening, and etc... I can see 2 or 3 as a Pinball Machine.

What about Cartoon TV shows... ThunderCats, The Smurfs, He-Man, DuckTales, VolTron, CareBears, GIJoe, Dragon's Lair and Chip and Dale etc...

#24 16 days ago

Yep, pretty clear winner here...Giddy up!

#25 16 days ago

Modern Family is good and has a lot of dry subtle humor that often takes several viewings to get the underlining humor-I like it

#26 16 days ago

All in the Family, and Archie Bunker's Place, hell there's even a pinball machine in his bar!

#27 16 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably not too many people still alive who grew up watching 70 or 50 year old shows.
I was surprised that Are You Being Served? made the top 20, as it's probably 50+ years old (although crazy funny).[quoted image]

The meter just hit 50 for me yesterday, but I've always had an affinity for tv and music before my time. Sure, some of the topics on All in the Family are a bit dated. But the situations, we are talking situational comedy after all, on the Honeymooners are totally timeless. And Ralph's interactions and reactions with both Norton and Alice and the "situations" that he finds himself in, mostly as a result of his own doing, are timeless and hilarious. Hell, my kids even like it. Another old one that flies under the radar is Leave It to Beaver. Beaver and Wally get into some of the same situations and trouble as kids today (minus the cell phone). That one holds up too, I think.

#28 16 days ago

For me it's always been neck n neck with Cheers & Seinfeld.

It's a tough call because I think at its best Seinfeild is better than Cheers, but the problem is Cheers is more consistent. First couple seasons of Sienfeld I couldn't even sit threwm now.

Shows like The Good Place we're fantastic. But their like Superstore level stuff; no top shelf.
Friends was great but died for me when Monica Chandler got together.
Office was good but another unwatchble 1st season.

#29 16 days ago

Big bang theory followed by fresh prince followed by seinfeld/curb.

#30 16 days ago

A few years ago on the radio, someone from the industry really broke it down in a way that makes sense. What's normally regarded as the best comedies utilize something called the "four point opposition" where 4 or more central characters that have unique traits all interact differently to relatable situations, but their traits often trump common sense. He noted the first show to use it unapologetically to a great degree was The Golden Girls (I was a bit too young but I remember he described one as the lead, one with an animalistic craving for more of everything (sex, drinks...etc.), one was infinitely bitter, and Betty White's character as the lovable dumb golden retriever), but the first one to perfect it was Seinfeld.

Seinfeld, which is #3 on my list also had a major influence on 3 other shows in my top 5...

Arrested Development took - the four point opposition and stretched it to like 8-10 points with a giant ensemble cast. They also used the "every storyline interacts at the end" formula that made the conclusion of Seinfeld hilarious. But Arrested also had the large cast to introduce characters well beyond what could work with Seinfeld. Kramer and George could always be grounded. Lucille, Gob, and Tobias lived with their heads in the clouds which opened up a lot more you could do with the ridiculousness of certain types of people.

Curb - obviously worked because of Seinfeld's success and wouldn't have been a thing if people weren't craving more from those creative minds.

Always Sunny - the show that I'm always shocked to hear people never watched. It's freggin Rated R Seinfeld!!! It's the longest running live action comedy and there are as many classic episodes as Seinfeld (including the one where they recreate Seinfeld, with two Jerry's since Mac and Dennis both see themselves as a lead). They do great creating the "Newman" side characters like the lawyer, Cricket, Pondi, and Uncle Jack who always add to a scene's hilarity. They also have borderline perfected the "concept episode" which Seinfeld did well at at times (I personally hate the Chinese Restaurant episode). Sunny gets the praise it deserves from those who watch it, but more people need to watch it. It's a riot.

My list:
5) Curb
4) The Office
3) Seinfeld
2) Always Sunny
1) Arrested Development

#31 16 days ago

There’s a lot to choose from but I’m gonna choose the Office. Check out the extended episodes on Peacock. I know this isn’t popular opinion but, even James Spader was excellent which kept me coming back.

#32 16 days ago

Always sunny is a good call....consistently great for a long time. Super memorable episodes & characters. Junk Yard Cat, The D.E.N.N.I.S System, jokes on Dee etc etc

For me you gotta have length. Arrested Development just doesn't stack up unirregardless of the fact I've never thought it was funny for some reason. Low episode count something like What We Do IN The Shadows is ruling right now.

#33 16 days ago

All in the family!!

#34 16 days ago

Hearing how some of the sitcoms were unpopular and now considered classics makes it even more a great story. Some were even canceled and brought back.

Seinfeld
Arrested Development
The Office
Family Guy
Brooklyn 99

#35 16 days ago

Still enjoy catching occasional threes company reruns
Suppose that isn’t sitcom idk
Going with Cheers

68768B83-FF7C-469D-8B0B-080B34F993B9.gif68768B83-FF7C-469D-8B0B-080B34F993B9.gif
#36 16 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Always sunny is a good call....consistently great for a long time. Super memorable episodes & characters. Junk Yard Cat, The D.E.N.N.I.S System, jokes on Dee etc etc
For me you gotta have length. Arrested Development just doesn't stack up unirregardless of the fact I've never thought it was funny for some reason. Low episode count something like What We Do IN The Shadows is ruling right now.

I once adopted a black cat and named him Agent Jack Bauer based on the Junk Yard Cat episode. I just showed someone the "walking a mile in my shoes" episode and she couldn't believe she never heard of this show.

Arrested Development is arguably better the 2nd time you watch it through. The callbacks, easter eggs, and the attention to detail make you really appreciate how everything is so planned out and executed. There were like 5 clues about what happened to Buster when you go back and rewatch. Same with Rita. I always look at a bus stop bench before sitting on it!

#37 16 days ago
Quoted from Vino:

I still enjoy catching occasional threes company reruns
Suppose that isn’t sitcom idk

Uh, yes. Dictionary definition of sitcom. Whether it's one's taste in comedy is another thing, but definitely a sitcom. I really enjoyed it.

#38 16 days ago

I forgot, Trailer Park Boys rules!!

#39 16 days ago

1. Arrested Development
2. Curb
3. Seinfeld
4. The Office
5. Shameless

#40 16 days ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I once adopted a black cat and named him Agent Jack Bauer based on the Junk Yard Cat episode.

Quoted from acedanger:

I forgot Trailer Park Boys rules!!

Bubbles was my cat after that.

#41 16 days ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Bubbles was my cat after that.

Great name! It's a silly show & my wife makes fun of me for watching it but I legit laugh out loud watching

#42 16 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

1. Arrested Development
2. Curb
3. Seinfeld
4. The Office
5. Shameless

A lot of passion on here for Arrested Development. I like that one too. And Jason Bateman acting as, well, Jason Bateman is always pretty entertaining. I think we need a similar thread on dramas. Ozark is a top 10 for me.

#43 16 days ago

This poll is totally bunk-no Three's Company! C'mon!

Threes Company (resized).jpgThrees Company (resized).jpg
#44 16 days ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This poll is totally bunk-no Three's Company! C'mon!
[quoted image]

Nope, apparently Veep needed the spot..

#45 16 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm, S08 E03 "Palestinian Chicken" will let you know if the series is for you or not.
There is no script. The actors have a 5 page outline of the plot, and then just 'play themselves'.
On HBO Max and Amazon Video
[quoted image]

Palestinian Chicken might be the best episode of Curb ever and up there with best sitcom episodes of all time. Completely unhinged, non-politically correct, etc. As Vid said, you will love it or hate it.

#46 16 days ago

Don't know what your criteria is but missing some good ones. Off the top of my head . . .

Andy Griffith Show
All in the Family
The Jeffersons
Happy Days
Everybody Loves Raymond
Beveryly Hillbillies
Gilligan's Island
Last Man Standing
Good Times
Family Guy
MASH
Leave it to Beaver
Sanford & Son
Brady Bunch
King of Queens
Gilligan's Island
I Love Lucy

Couple of British ones I like (glad to see Are You Being Served on your list):
Red Dwarf
The IT Crowd

#47 16 days ago

Obviously dated and probably influenced by my childhood in the 70's, but Happy Days should at least be a choice?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#48 16 days ago

Best. Sitcom. Ever.

31EE7C33-9A37-4A02-A866-F685310CBF42_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg31EE7C33-9A37-4A02-A866-F685310CBF42_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
#49 15 days ago

No Bob Newheart Show, Honeymooners, I love Lucy, All in the Family, Dick Van Dyke Show = INVALID POLL.

#50 15 days ago

This is really tough

Frasier and Cheers are some of the best written and acted shows of all time, but then you have Seinfeld , Sunny and Curb which are almost infinitely watchable because they flow and tie up so beautifully by the end of each episode.
I could honestly take any of them and choose it as best depending on the day, but in my heart of hearts it's Seinfeld.

There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-sitcom-of-all-time-vote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.