20240507_213621 (resized).jpg
20240507_213559 (resized).jpg
20240507_213747 (resized).jpg
440752420_752800927018360_3836393552661022819_n (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8008716_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_1499 (resized).JPG
IMG_1498 (resized).JPG
20240403_174338.jpg
There are 5,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 110.
#5001 1 year ago

Pinball machines revolve around themes, we all know this, if you take an expert on storm chasing and show them whirlwind, they’ll have a great time. When developing ww2.0, I would have brought in Reed Timmer and brain stormed some ideas to build on, but that’s just me thinking in my own headspace.

This 2.0 fiasco could turn into something great, or not, the software can always be changed

#5002 1 year ago
Quoted from eckelpeckel:

I agree, having 2 completely diffrent games on 1 machine adds to the longevity of both.
I love bop2.0 but theres no reason to switch back to the original on that, essentially killing the 2 for 1 aspect..
Original whirlwind (funhouse too) are such great games still imo that they dont need to be upgraded so i think going for something completly diffrent is the right way to go..

Hadn't thought about it that way. I was initially upset that WW 2.0 had strayed so far from its original and fantastic modus operandi, but agree, 2 different games in one is a good thing.

Might take a 2nd look.

#5003 1 year ago

How do you remove the fan blade from the motor? I don't quite understand the clip they used and don't want to damage it.

Thanks

IMG_9174 (resized).JPGIMG_9174 (resized).JPG
#5004 1 year ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Hadn't thought about it that way. I was initially upset that WW 2.0 had strayed so far from its original and fantastic modus operandi, but agree, 2 different games in one is a good thing.
Might take a 2nd look.

Parrently Wayne will be the agent here.

Or cointaker in the states.

#5005 1 year ago
Quoted from eckelpeckel:

Original whirlwind (funhouse too) are such great games still imo that they dont need to be upgraded so i think going for something completly diffrent is the right way to go..

Interesting perspective! Makes me realize that sometimes i can be a real ass! I've never seen it yet, but already formed a negative opinion on it. The game is just so good as it is (and really only needs a few things polished up on the code) that i felt a continuation of the original game with some fresh callouts & funny animations would top it off. But this is a very creative twist on the theme.. instead of asking, "but why tho?' I should be saying 'why the fuck not!' Dammit Punkin, you were right!

#5006 1 year ago

I'm leaning towards purchase too, if i can get it for the right money.

I think most people got the wrong idea to start.

#5007 1 year ago
Quoted from fossmin:

How do you remove the fan blade from the motor? I don't quite understand the clip they used and don't want to damage it.
Thanks
[quoted image]

you can just pull the fan off the axle
It might need some force as it sits there already for some time
A punch tool and some gentle hits might help

#5008 1 year ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks
[quoted image]

If you can't pull the fan off as suggested above (this can be risky), try inserting the end of a flat screwdriver between the ends of that metal clip around the hub, and gently twist the screwdriver to spread the clip open a bit. That should relieve enough pressure to allow you to pull the fan off.

To keep the fan tight on replacement, remove the clip and squeeze it back tight before reinstallation.

#5009 1 year ago

Thanks for the help guys!

#5010 1 year ago

Does anyone know where I can buy a Whirlwind keychain for a reasonable price? Like $10ish instead of the $30-50 range I’m seeing on eBay.

#5011 1 year ago
Quoted from AssaultSuit:

Does anyone know where I can buy a Whirlwind keychain for a reasonable price? Like $10ish instead of the $30-50 range I’m seeing on eBay.

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/whirlwind

#5012 1 year ago

MAYFAIR AMUSEMENT ALWAYS HAS THEM AT PINFEST IN ALLENTOWN

#5013 1 year ago
Quoted from zerbam:

MAYFAIR AMUSEMENT ALWAYS HAS THEM AT PINFEST IN ALLENTOWN

I should have asked. I found a lot of other Williams keychains but not Whirlwind.

#5015 1 year ago

This target is loose and I have to adjust it every few games. I looked on Marco and didn't see it. Any idea where I can purchase a replacement?

PXL_20230520_013355720 (resized).jpgPXL_20230520_013355720 (resized).jpg
#5016 1 year ago
Quoted from Johnbeatle:

This target is loose and I have to adjust it every few games. I looked on Marco and didn't see it. Any idea where I can purchase a replacement?
[quoted image]

This one... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6
Or the heavy-duty one... https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18530-6R

#5017 1 year ago
Quoted from Johnbeatle:

Any idea where I can purchase a replacement?

Here’s the switch:

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-oblong-stand-up-targets.html

While you’re at it, get the anti sway reinforcement. I put it on every standup that gets tons of impact:

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BK3

#5018 1 year ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Anyone seen a WW with a well done powder coat on armour?

Any good powder coating selections for WW?

#5019 1 year ago

I’m finally in the club! How do you guys clean up the fan housing? Mine is very yellowed

733984A0-9B84-4A1A-8DB3-BB0C38D0C0AF (resized).jpeg733984A0-9B84-4A1A-8DB3-BB0C38D0C0AF (resized).jpeg
#5020 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I’m finally in the club! How do you guys clean up the fan housing? Mine is very yellowed
[quoted image]

Best way is to buy a new one for $125

#5021 1 year ago

you can purchase new decals and give it a fresh white coat of paint

#5022 1 year ago

Yea, if the plastic isn’t cracked, you can even just tape off the decals and hit it with white spray paint.

#5023 1 year ago

No downside to painting first, thanks guys.

#5024 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

[quoted image]

I have not done this, but you can "whiten" yellowed plastics by soaking them in hydrogen peroxide and exposing them to UV lights. There are many youtube and google tutorials on how to do this. By the time you bought the materials though a new one may be cheaper if you had no other use for the setup.

#5025 1 year ago

What would you do about this cabinet section? My thought is to sand that area and spray paint with Behr Mayan blue. There is no fade to match.

13FBC445-A229-414B-859C-DB3F950D3B32 (resized).jpeg13FBC445-A229-414B-859C-DB3F950D3B32 (resized).jpeg5AEE7EBE-8A9C-4372-AB7B-FA5E71B74E12 (resized).jpeg5AEE7EBE-8A9C-4372-AB7B-FA5E71B74E12 (resized).jpeg
#5026 1 year ago

I’ve watched the whirlwind 2.0 videos, both install and gameplay.
Interesting, but I’d like to see a video of the 2.0 kit playing the original. Might have missed it?

#5027 1 year ago

For the cabinet, the spray will most likely be pretty noticeable. Unless you are redoing the cabinet it’s a tough decision

For the leg area, I would probably just get some protectors, they will cover it up
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PINCAB-LB

And for the scratches, I would get some $1 craft paints and try to color match, just wipe with a q-tip and try to blend. A little goes a long way

#5028 1 year ago
Quoted from mark532011:

For the cabinet, the spray will most likely be pretty noticeable. Unless you are redoing the cabinet it’s a tough decision
For the leg area, I would probably just get some protectors, they will cover it up
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PINCAB-LB
And for the scratches, I would get some $1 craft paints and try to color match, just wipe with a q-tip and try to blend. A little goes a long way

I think I’ll bondo the scratches to get them level and them try to color match. Sounds like rust oleum deep blue 2x gloss is the consensus best match. I’ll see how it comes out with a sponge brush first before I spray. I posted the area under the legs to show that the blue isn’t faded. I won’t do anything there.

#5029 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I think I’ll bondo the scratches to get them level and them try to color match. Sounds like rust oleum deep blue 2x gloss is the consensus best match. I’ll see how it comes out with a sponge brush first before I spray. I posted the area under the legs to show that the blue isn’t faded. I won’t do anything there.

Might not want to match with an existing spray…. I got great results by taking a chip off the cabinet and going to Sherwin Williams and getting a quart can of paint to use with a brush for touch ups

#5030 1 year ago

The color behind the legs looks more blue. The cabinet looks to have a slight greenish tone in it probably from nicotine, just in case you have difficulty color matching.

#5031 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

What would you do about this cabinet section? My thought is to sand that area and spray paint with Behr Mayan blue. There is no fade to match.
[quoted image][quoted image]

leave it alone. no paint will be a perfect match, most of that is hidden by the legs anyways.

#5032 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

leave it alone. no paint will be a perfect match, most of that is hidden by the legs anyways.

This...

#5033 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I’ll leave the leg wear alone but I have to do something about the f word that is scratched in the right side in the first picture I posted. It’s a really small section but I have to do something with it. Has anyone used the rust oleum deep blue? I can spray a pool of it on a piece of cardboard and use a q tip for the touch up. I have space to test it on so if it’s not great I can have sherwin try to match more closely.

#5034 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I’ll leave the leg wear alone but I have to do something about the f word that is scratched in the right side in the first picture I posted. It’s a really small section but I have to do something with it. Has anyone used the rust oleum deep blue? I can spray a pool of it on a piece of cardboard and use a q tip for the touch up. I have space to test it on so if it’s not great I can have sherwin try to match more closely.

use an artist brush, not a q-tip, it requires a precise tool

but, if you insist on using that spray color for the convenience, I would do this... tape off the whirlwind graphics, lightly sand the scratches in a circular pattern and spray the blue back on, several light layers will get it ship shape. good luck, let us know how it turns out!

#5035 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

i cannot make out the "F" word in that at all. doubt anybody else will either.

#5036 1 year ago

I can see it. Probably worse in person. It would annoy the fuck out of me, that's for sure.

#5037 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I can see it. Probably worse in person. It would annoy the fuck out of me, that's for sure.

i think it adds nostalgia.

#5038 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

It’s annoying and worth trying to repair. I he rust oleum deep blue isn’t close, I can mix acrylics to get a good match, the issue is leveling the scratches. They are so light in some parts that it isn’t even to the wood. It’s almost like dealing with planking. I know Kruzman uses a diluted glue mixture in a syringe to get planking to lay down. I’ve sprayed clear with some success in the past. I don’t think I can get bondo fine enough to fill it in. I’d rather not sand the whole section and spray because my chances of getting a spray match are close to zero. Interesting little problem here.

#5039 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

i think it adds nostalgia.

If you miss having morons around, then maybe.

#5040 1 year ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

It’s annoying and worth trying to repair. I he rust oleum deep blue isn’t close, I can mix acrylics to get a good match, the issue is leveling the scratches. They are so light in some parts that it isn’t even to the wood. It’s almost like dealing with planking. I know Kruzman uses a diluted glue mixture in a syringe to get planking to lay down. I’ve sprayed clear with some success in the past. I don’t think I can get bondo fine enough to fill it in. I’d rather not sand the whole section and spray because my chances of getting a spray match are close to zero. Interesting little problem here.

Bondo makes a red thin filler , works wonders

#5041 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Bondo makes a red thin filler , works wonders

Thanks for that recommendation, that’s what I’m looking for.

2 weeks later
#5042 11 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Might not want to match with an existing spray…. I got great results by taking a chip off the cabinet and going to Sherwin Williams and getting a quart can of paint to use with a brush for touch ups

Could you share the paint code details? Or anyone else who has done a full restore and cabinet paint job?

#5043 11 months ago

Paint info from my WW restore:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QsFhLR5zoZo2W8kt9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y28KRtKHvyrBoLqn6

I took the decal kit to Home Depot and they scanned it and that was that.

#5044 11 months ago
Quoted from pencilneck:

Paint info from my WW restore:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QsFhLR5zoZo2W8kt9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y28KRtKHvyrBoLqn6
I took the decal kit to Home Depot and they scanned it and that was that.

So what kind of paint did you end up using?

#5045 11 months ago
Quoted from punkin:

If you miss having morons around, then maybe.

you didn't have to invite the guys that did it over for supper.

#5046 11 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

you didn't have to invite the guys that did it over for supper.

Threw someone out of my place and told her not to come back one day for writing in the dust on one of my unregistered motorcycles.

#5047 11 months ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

So what kind of paint did you end up using?

Behr from Home Depot.

#5048 11 months ago

I just wanna say I love System 11 pins and Whirlwind is absolutely the best one ☝️

#5049 11 months ago

I bought a set of new ramps from Starship Fantasies. Where does this sticker go? Neither of my old ramps has this sticker on it.

Thanks

IMG_9320 (resized).JPGIMG_9320 (resized).JPG
#5050 11 months ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I bought a set of new ramps from Starship Fantasies. Where does this sticker go? Neither of my old ramps has this sticker on it.
Thanks
[quoted image]

Don't see it on mine and then found this. Guess it's a mystery.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/98011-whirlwind-ramp-decal-mystery/
and this
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-decal

The missing middle section reminds of the shooter lane indention, but obviously that wouldn't work. Maybe we're missing something simple.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,467 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.