(Topic ID: 353460)

Unlicensed themes are dead?

By BeachPickle

42 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    4616328 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240320-185054 (resized).png
    deathball (resized).jpg
    vennAndTheArtOfIP.jpg
    Junkyard Cats Ruleset (resized).jpg
    ss2 (resized).jpg
    ss1 (resized).jpg
    ss8 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1086 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1085 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1087 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1089 (resized).jpeg
    There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 32 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The 90s are over; just like my hairline is a relic of that long-ago decade

The waves are gone, Levi, but the beach is still there.

And FYI to everybody else. Gary Stern figured out the licenced vs unlicensed, 30 something years ago.

#202 32 days ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

I think this magic formula is about 90% the audio callouts package. TAF, AFM, MM, MB, CC, Whitewater are all about the maximum-energy screaming encouraging callouts on just about every shot you make. Stern's slump in the early 2000's was when they didn't have that and had lame phoned-in movie quotes instead. Then their recent biggest hits of Godzilla and Deadpool are also their biggest in that department, and the perceived duds like TMNT, Zeppelin, AIQ have flat and dull callouts. If you want to get a game right, get the audio package right.

There is some truth to this, but the problem is that the expectation for “great callouts” on a 90s game was MAYBE 100 lines, whereas today games are expected to have 1000s of lines, which requires way more writing, acting, recording, and creative talent. Same really applies for music and animations: the amount of material you had to create for a 90s unlicensed game was 1/100th of what games have today.

#203 32 days ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

The waves are gone, Levi, but the beach is still there.
    And FYI to everybody else. Gary Stern figured out the licenced vs unlicensed, 30 something years ago.

30 years ago?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #204 32 days ago

Would a parody pin work, basically essentially what movies like Scary Movie and Spaceballs are.

No American Pinball couldn't pull it off, since they are incable of being genuinely funny.

Honestly most of these nice ideas all go to crap when you think about what you would put on a lcd screen.

#205 32 days ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

Would a parody pin work, basically essentially what movies like Scary Movie and Spaceballs are.
    No American Pinball couldn't pull it off, since they are incable of being genuinely funny.
    Honestly most of these nice ideas all go to crap when you think about what you would put on a lcd screen.

The jokes would likely get very old very fast. There are not that many funny people in pinball. The funniest recent pin was Deadpool, which had a game script written by one of its main comic book writers who also happens to be an accomplished comedian (Brian Posehn) and voiced by a very talented voice actor (Nolan North).

Don't do comedy pins if you aren't getting serious comedic talent to do that work

#206 32 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The jokes would likely get very old very fast. There are not that many funny people in pinball. The funniest recent pin was Deadpool, which had a game script written by one of its main comic book writers who also happens to be an accomplished comedian (Brian Posehn) and voiced by a very talented voice actor (Nolan North).
    Don't do comedy pins if you aren't getting serious comedic talent to do that work

I would say Deadpool is a great game with reasonable attempts at humor. But I agree with the getting great comedic talent is a must.

I want to say there's some high concept, user submitted content pin idea that would work. With multi-player elements. Maybe an idea best left for a platform like p3.

#207 32 days ago

Unexpected laughter... and unlicensed titles.

That is what makes great pinball... comedy. But comedy is just comedy, and with out timing, you have nothing. But timing is everything in comedy... the witty one liner needs to be said when it is the funniest, and that was what they were getting right in the 90's.

The funniest thing in recent pinball memory? "King of the Restarts"

GTF went after this and wow did it fly wide of the mark initially. Seems some actual gameplay has gotten more to enjoy shooting GTF, but it works best in dimmly lit, high noise environment where the cringe factor is less a thing since you miss most of the bad dialog.

I think we should start rooting for the homebrew machines, where there is little risk on theme selection... this should be the incubator for unlicensed titles, and manuafactureres could possibly score a coup by picking up a popular homebrew title once it has been debuted for either contract manufacture, or buy the license and do a short run. Would make more sense than betting the farm each time like AP has.

#208 32 days ago

I understand and agree that unlicensed themes won’t be a commercial success in this era (Danesi’s original themes aside - both TNA and Final Resistance are amazing games BTW). I just personally don’t understand the theme whore mentality.

There are a few pinball themes I love, and a few I hate. But almost everything resides in the middle for me. I love GNR as a band/theme, but had zero interest in the game until they fixed the flippers. I hate Iron Maiden as a band, but I own and love the game. I don’t give a shit about Jurassic Park as a theme, but love the game and prefer the stock code over the movie version. Almost every licensed game I own does nothing for me as a theme alone.

Back in the 90s, Johnny Mnemonic and The Shadow were dog shit movies, but the games are still awesome. I just don’t get why people are SO hung up on theme that they’ll buy crap games if they like the theme, and won’t buy amazing games if they don’t like the theme.

I understand and realize it is today's reality, I just don’t get it as a pinball player. Fun is fun and in most cases, the theme is just a veneer on top of a game that is or isn’t fun to play.

#209 31 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The beauty of the Deadpool pin is it comes across *exactly* how you'd expect Deadpool himself to design it.

#210 31 days ago

Ninja Eclipse, in turning itself around over the course of the last year, is fast becoming the game Legends Of Valhalla wanted to be; a community darling the same way Scott Danesi began and letting us come aboard for the ride. Both NE and LoV (and for that matter Dialed In) have a lot of lore and worldbuilding behind them that translates into a lot of gameplay, but at first look the playfields are a visual infodump, with no discernible starting point and an endgoal that's hard to determine. You have to play and examine such a game thoroughly to see how good it is, and for LoV that means plunking your money down first. Ninja Eclipse has sidestepped this pitfall by explaining itself as the project goes along and more people get invested in following it. This won't automatically translate into sales, but like TNA, by the time it's a fully realised product we'll all know exactly what to expect, what we're getting, and whether we want it or not.

#211 31 days ago
    Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

This won't automatically translate into sales, but like TNA, by the time it's a fully realised product we'll all know exactly what to expect, what we're getting, and whether we want it or not.

For a bunch of reasons (theme, gameplay, market climate, competition, etc.) I’d be *shocked* if NE sold anywhere close to TNA, or resonated nearly as much with the pinball community.

Feedback has been great compared to what the game was at expo and versus the other current non-licensed theme (BBQ), but let’s see if that translates into any meaningful sales. I suspect it won’t. Not hating…just sayin.

#212 31 days ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

Back in the 90s, Johnny Mnemonic and The Shadow were dog shit movies, but the games are still awesome.

Again, stop referencing the 90s as if things work the same way today. They don't. Johnny Mnemonic and Shadow were supposed to be giant blockbusters and turned out to be duds. That was back when companies were getting early access to movies and whatnot and the release was at the same time of the movie debut. After flops like that, you see why companies stopped gambling so much on what was "supposed" to be a success and instead focused on what was/is a success. If a game has an original theme it has to wow people on every level, but it can be harder to do because everything is so broad. A theme gives people something to expect, and somewhat of a blueprint to follow. I don't know what a good "insert random thing here" game is like, but I at least can have some expectations when I see (for example) Spiderman.

I think most people can play an old classic and get past the theme. I think many people aren't "theme whores", moreso they just want something that they can have some sort of expectations met.

#213 31 days ago

Seems like Dutch is going for the public domain unlicensed theme route

#214 31 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Seems like Dutch is going for the public domain unlicensed theme route

They’re betting on there being 500 Jpop fanatics left who still want the “ultimate Jpop game” even though he’s not involved. We’ll see if that ends up being a pro or a con. For me, it’s 2 cons. Jpop & Dutch merged into a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup of pinball. No thanks.

#215 31 days ago

Yes I probably wouldn't be hanging my hat on this proving a thesis.

Having said that Houdini is the only pin AP went that route in, and it was their biggest hit.

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unlicensed-themes-that-dont-suck/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.