(Topic ID: 353460)

Unlicensed themes are dead?

By BeachPickle

42 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    4616328 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240320-185054 (resized).png
    deathball (resized).jpg
    vennAndTheArtOfIP.jpg
    Junkyard Cats Ruleset (resized).jpg
    ss2 (resized).jpg
    ss1 (resized).jpg
    ss8 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1082 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1083 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1084 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1086 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1085 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1087 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1089 (resized).jpeg
    There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 42 days ago

With the recent string of unlicensed games receiving such a lackluster response, is there any potential for unlicensed games that could reach widespread popularity?

So, before Levi can pop in and say “we want unlicensed themes, just not that one”, let’s have some fun discussing unlicensed games that you think would actually be cool. We know that they’ll never compete against a superstar IP, but are there any ideas that would actually even sell? Are there any you would like to see even if they wouldn’t sell?

#2 42 days ago

I’ll start:

A brew house/ brewery/ fermenting factory game with the ability to be customized to incorporate your businesses name on the backglass and in the screen text..

I work with many breweries who all spend insane amounts of money to have their name on a multitude of things in their retail space. They are just throwing money at custom signs, artwork, merchandise and knickknacks.

I’ve had a couple ask me what it would take to have their name on a pinball machine for the tasting room. ( neither of them have pins in their brewery)

So I’m envisioning a game in python’s irreverent style, that takes place in a brewery, with the game able to be customized with the owners/ business name on the backglass and in the screen during gameplay.

The games could come with the translite artwork in a digital file that is designed so that breweries or bars that own the game can have their graphic designer customize the artwork with their businesses name/ logo.

The game could also come with a web or app based editor that allows you to replace the default brewery and beer names within the game with your own.

I imagine many breweries that are doing well would jump at the opportunity to have a custom game with their name in it. I also think many private collectors would also love to be able to put in their own game room / family name and favorite beers.

#3 42 days ago

Oktoberfest is pretty close to that.

#4 42 days ago

American has picked a few themes that were great, but the execution has been weak. Cheesy artwork and unimaginative playfields can ruin even the best theme ideas.

#5 42 days ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Eh… maybe a little.. but it’s really an entirely different thing. I mean. There is beer in it, but the Octoberfest theme/ festival is largely irrelevant to the current brewery/ beer culture that I was talking about.. and you can’t get your brewery’s name on the octoberfest translite/ screen.

#6 42 days ago
    Quoted from Frogman:

American has picked a few themes that were great, but the execution has been weak

Houdini definitely was a solid theme, but I’m just not seeing it with the space ice cream tanks and generic BBQ… Octoberfest was a creative idea for a theme, though like you say, the execution could have been more off putting than the theme itself.

#7 42 days ago

Another unlicensed theme that could suck less than recent offerings.

Merlin.

If the manufacturer was able to move away from the weird children’s book style illustration that they seem stuck with recently. Think more like the classic dark comic book/ fantasy/ sci-fi artwork on sorcerer, barracora, paragon. Put some of the money saved on licensing towards hiring a legit artist. Hell, make it a DMD and go full 80s with the style.

The game could include King Arthur, the knights of the round table, sorcerer’s stone, collecting ingredients for making potions and spells, other evil magicians you have to fight whose powers change the gameplay.

No license, endless potential that could actually be cool. Black night meets sorcerer and medieval madness.

#8 42 days ago

8 Ball/Pool, Bowling, Old West, and Surfing are all un-licensed themes that have historically sold more units than any modern pin.

#9 42 days ago

Dialed In. It’s a game about a magical cell phone you get from Crazy Bobs cell phone store.

Yeah…no lol.

#10 42 days ago

We have never been served up a good complete golf game. Gofers was good, fell short for completeness

#11 42 days ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

8 Ball/Pool, Bowling, Old West, and Surfing are all un-licensed themes that have historically sold more units than any modern pin.

Already have them!
    8 Ball/Pool “Bank A Ball”
    Bowling “Bowling Queen”
    Old West “Dodge City”
    Surfing “Surfer”

#12 42 days ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Yeah! We just got the cactus canyon remake, so the Wild West is covered. But as someone who has a couple surfing games, I’d love to see a modern take on skateball, though I think it’d be near impossible for any current manufacturers to pull off without it being more cringeworthy than collecting space fudge for your galactic tank. They would have to hire an actual surf artist to do it, as well as get some direction from people in the sport.

It’s not the 60/70s where you can get away with just throwing an illustrated surf scene on the backglass and playfield. The theme needs to be integrated, and that one would be tough to pull off. But man it’d be great if someone did. I know this is the unlicensed thread, but there is an insane amount of amazing 70s surf and skate footage that could be had cheap. Or just do it illustrated DMD.

Bring back the DMD!!!

#13 42 days ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Already have them!
    8 Ball/Pool “Bank A Ball”
    Bowling “Bowling Queen”
    Old West “Dodge City”
    Surfing “Surfer”

Yeah, they were saying that those unlicensed themed games have sold very well in the past.

#14 42 days ago

Deeproot actually had a few decent ones (although they couldn't deliver a single game). I thought that the idea for Merlin's Arcade seemed pretty cool as a theme.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #15 42 days ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

We have never been served up a good complete golf game. Gofers was good, fell short for completeness

This is an interesting one I’ve never considered. I have a bunch of buddies that love to play golf and pinball. I don’t golf, but it seems to be wildly popular, and I bet a modern golfing game would be a hit in the clubhouses. Although in this instance I’m sure some association with a big name golfer or brand would be necessary.

#16 42 days ago

“Pin Sim”

The denizens of an online pinball forum somehow get control of a pinball company.

But it’s a haunted pinball company!!!!! and it must be destroyed to save mankind!!!

How can you drive this company out of business before the inter dimensional portal opens, unleashing supernatural fury upon the earth!!

Design a series of half-baked “original themes” that have all been done one way or another over the past 50 years, and thay nobody wants to buy in 2024.

Take something you like such as “beer” or “bbq” or “aliens” and share your ingenious concept with the world! If you like it, Hell, everybody is gonna like it and want to pay $9000 for a game themed in its image!

Spend thousands of man hours coding endless “original IP” for the LCD screen. Shoot lame “campy” live action footage! Hire out of work improv guys from the local theater to voiceover original characters! Hire various “pinball ambassadors” from the local tournament scene; every original IP company needs one! We aren’t sure what they do but hey they know pinball!

Follow the tit-o-meter, until you can get those nipples facing directly to the sky!!

#17 42 days ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Deeproot actually had a few decent ones (although they couldn't deliver a single game). I thought that the idea for Merlin's Arcade seemed pretty cool as a theme.

Ob yeah.. I’d completely forgotten that was one of their potential themes. It sounds great. But get rid of children’s book style artwork.

#18 42 days ago

You beer idea is about as inventive as the bbq one.

Honestly I think they made good modern original themed games. The market just rejected them..

#19 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

“Pin Sim”
    The denizens of an online pinball forum somehow get control of a pinball company.
    But it’s a haunted pinball company!!!!! and it must be destroyed to save mankind!!!
    How can you drive this company out of business before the inter dimensional portal opens, unleashing supernatural fury upon the earth!!
    Design a series of half-baked “original themes” that have all been done one way or another over the past 50 years, and thay nobody wants to buy in 2024.
    Follow the tit-o-meter, until you can get those nipples facing directly to the sky!!

I mean, the manufactures seem totally capable of creating their own tits up unlicensed themes without our help.

But yeah, following up on your theme idea , how do we incorporate the self righteous blowhard denizens of the pinball forum who just endlessly shit on all the other denizens of the forum? Maybe the game just makes fart noises occasionally.

#20 42 days ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

You beer idea is about as inventive as the bbq one.

But there’s pinball in lots and lots of breweries. I can only think of two BBQ spots with pinball.

#21 42 days ago

“Beer” is such an ingenious idea considering the success of “Oktoberfest” and “bbq”.

Why didn’t anybody think of This shit sooner?!

Pretty much any random noun will make for a great unlicensed pinball game.

Slug. Dog. Birdwatcher. Car. Woman. Camera. Man. Rocket. Disco.

Unlimited possibilities for success.

#22 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why didn’t anybody think of This shit sooner?!

I work as an art director for a bunch of breweries. I know for a fact they would love the opportunity to have a generic beer pinball in their locations that is designed to be able to incorporate their branding on the game.

But I guess that idea sucks just as bad as ice cream tank force, punny factory, and bbq. Fuck me!

#23 42 days ago

I mean, you can test your theory. As an art director have you considered doing some one off re-themes for your clients? There’s tons of cheap time-warp style games dying for the retheme treatment.

Does it really need to be a brand new $9-12k pinball machine destined to lose a bunch of people money?

#24 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean, you can test your theory. As an art director have you considered doing some one off re-themes for your clients? There’s tons of cheap time-warp style games dying for the retheme treatment.

Oh yeah. Definitely working on it. It’ll be an EM though because I don’t know how to work on solid states. We’re actively working on donor games and integration of the brewery items. That was part of the impetus for thinking of a generic beer license that could be slightly customized by breweries.

#25 42 days ago

My take away from the direction this thread is headed is that there is zero chance anyone is going to successfully release an unlicensed theme again. Which I think is a shame.

The other thing I’ve learned, I’d like the DMD to come back.

#26 42 days ago

I think you got another 10-20 years for the DMD comeback.

It took about 30 years for the alphanumeric to make its triumphant return with pulp fiction.

#27 42 days ago

You are Satan and you must corrupt all humans and destroy the world and slay God. More fun than a barrel ‘o monkies.

#28 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you got another 10-20 years for the DMD comeback.

Well a boy can hope.

#29 42 days ago

IBL has a new meaning in unlicensed pin threads: In Before Levi!

#30 42 days ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

You are Satan and you must corrupt all humans and destroy the world and slay God. More fun than a barrel ‘o monkies.

Take my money.

#31 42 days ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

IBL has a new meaning in unlicensed pin threads: In Before Levi!

I really should have known better than to start this… but I just saw so many threads of people shitting on the unlicensed games, I wondered if there really were any ideas that were viable.

Clearly not..

#32 42 days ago

My other take away from this, I think the general dislike of unlicensed games isn’t exclusively the fault of the horrible themes, (because apparently they are all horrible) but also the execution and artwork used to flesh out those themes.

Tank force had the right idea by exploring the retro atomic googie style, but the ridiculous live action and concept seems to outweigh it. What would have happened if it was just a little less spastic? It’d still be unable to compete with the major IPs, but it definitely could have been less of a laughing stock with someone a little more “in touch”holding the reins during development.

is the consensus that there is truly zero chance for a successful unlicensed game anymore?

#33 42 days ago

The answer to all your questions is 'Theme Whores;' plain & simple.

#34 42 days ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

is the consensus that there is truly zero chance for a successful unlicensed game anymore?

There is no consensus. There are plenty of people who think it "could work," they just haven't found one yet that they'd buy.

Is "Beer" the one that's gonna land? Hopefully we can find out one day!

The "unlicensed theme could work!" thing usually goes hand in hand with "if they can price these at $4k, can you imagine how many they'd sell?!" So there's lots of cans of worms in play here!

#35 42 days ago

Oh this is too easy and I enjoy stuff like this.
    I've always wanted to do a game based on my company name (and avatar), "Wrong Crowd". That said, I've been down this road before and here's a small glimpse of some of the titles I came up with.

Captain UFO
    Glock-Zilla
    The Roswell Incident
    Kontraband
    Bump in the Night
    Robot King
    Crop Circles
    Out of Jail
    Nocturnal Beasts
    The Great Ponzi
    Cool Story Bro
    Unicorn Stampede

*And just for adult fun*

The Slut Whisperer
    Smell My Finger
    Courtesy Flush
    Banana Hammock

and of course my favorite downvote getter for Pinside

Dead Hooker

#36 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is "Beer" the one that's gonna land? Hopefully we can find out one day!

I acquiesce.. this is also a terrible idea. It just seemed so much more viable than BBQ in my pre run morning optimism, as I tried to envision the connections between BBQ and pinball relative to the much higher instances of pinball in breweries and bars along with my communications with brewery owners expressing interest in custom branded games. But it’s true. It’d still be a joke if someone did it.

#37 42 days ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Smell My Finger

I have so many ideas for this one..

#38 42 days ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

... Beer. It could be brew house, brewery, fermenting factory.. whatever, the name doesn’t matter. Pinball and beer are like peanut butter and chocolate. The recent resurgence in pinball has breweries that have added lineups to thank in part for helping normalize location based pinball again.

Quoted from floyd1977:

Agreed. I have always liked the Oktoberfest theme and beer definitely plays a huge part in it. The artwork and animations aren't the best, but "they get the job done."

More importantly, the game is festive, unique in many ways, and fun! Very happy that AP had the creative initiative to produce it.

Quoted from BeachPickle:

Eh… maybe a little.. but it’s really an entirely different thing. I mean. There is beer in it, but the Octoberfest theme/ festival is largely irrelevant to the current brewery/ beer culture that I was talking about..

Uh ... I guess. To be honest though, the idea of a brewery/beer culture theme alone doesn't sound super appealing.

I'd rather go for BBQ. With lots of videos of different meats being cooked!

#39 42 days ago

With the exception of most music pins, licensed media IPs when done properly offer an additional factor over and above familiarity and name recognition; an immediate entry point for the player. Ready-made worldbuilding with the the player's role, journey and goals already defined. When it's not done properly, you lose that focus. The most common mistake that modern original themes make is in taking the time to craft an elaborate story and background for the purpose of game content, but then drop the player into it without any clear reference points, either in the ruleset or physical presence on the game.

#40 42 days ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Uh ... I guess. To be honest though, the idea of a brewery/beer culture theme alone doesn't sound super appealing.

Yeah, the more I’ve thought about it the more it seems just as ridiculous as BBQ. I was just envisioning python style game that takes place in a brewery, most importantly one that is designed so locations can customize it with their name and products. There is so much more pinball in breweries than BBQ joints that it felt like a more viable idea.

Regardless. I’ve been brow beat and have come to terms with the reality that all unlicensed themes are terrible ideas. Luckily there’s tons of boomer rock, Disney, marvel, and 1970-1988 throwback franchises to look forward to!

#41 42 days ago

Shelter Skelter - cats and dogs must work together to escape the pound.

#42 42 days ago

70's, 80's and into the 90's unlicensed themes were the thing. Then nostagia and Hollywood came along.

Bally Williams seemed to have found the magic with their 90's machines(I still think something was in the water). Games like MM, NGG, Wh20, CP, FT, etc. Today people want it but the theme integration and relation is difficult to capture. Sure I liked Dialed In for a bit then I was like what the heck is a sim card and what city do I need to go to again? Houdini would have been a contender if a wide body. Oktoberfest is ok. TNA is one of a kind. I do think there is a fine line on relatability and successful sales? Not sure how many BBQ pins they will be churning out? If they can capture the Bally/Willams 90's magic-maybe-but maybe that ship has sailed?

Wondering if they could do Mission Impossible without Tom Cruise and with theme song? 50's realistic art with Top secret agents.

Or a Vampire

Or a MUMMY

The list goes on and on but it has to be properly executed. Can't go in willy nilly

#43 42 days ago
    Quoted from naf_llabnip:

Shelter Skelter - cats and dogs must work together to escape the pound.

and there’s a dog warden resembling Charles Manson that you have to avoid.

#44 42 days ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

it has to be properly executed. Can't go in willy nilly

I think this is the ultimate hurdle…

#45 42 days ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Yeah, the more I’ve thought about it the more it seems just as ridiculous as BBQ. I was just envisioning python style game that takes place in a brewery, most importantly one that is designed so locations can customize it with their name and products. There is so much more pinball in breweries than BBQ joints that it felt like a more viable idea.
    Regardless. I’ve been brow beat and have come to terms with the reality that all unlicensed themes are terrible ideas. Luckily there’s tons of boomer rock, Disney, marvel, and 1970-1988 throwback franchises to look forward to!

See this is Pinside at its best; crushing one dream at a time!

#46 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

See this is Pinside at its best; crushing one dream at a time!

I was having such a nice day, and now I hate myself and pinball.

Hooked on pinside worked for me!

#47 42 days ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

I was having such a nice day, and now I hate myself and pinball.
    Hooked on pinside worked for me!

Your Pinside handle could work as an unlicensed name as is. Or tweak it to, "Speedo Potato"
    (I hope that helps)

#48 42 days ago

Internet Trolls Vs Influencers
    Civil War 2.0
    Climate Change Meltdown
    Super Hero Fatigue
    Mega-Fauna Vs Robots from Space
    Wife Swapping Steroid Zombies
    Stoned Hippies Lost in the Parking Lot
    Crypto Pyramid Scheme
    Billionaires Race To Mars!
    High Energy Particle Collider

I could go on, but my point is the problem is lack of imagination.

And the real problem is that often (usually, always?) a second rate designer is paired with the original IP. Put Elwin or Ritchie on any of these themes and you'd have a hit. Well, you need the full package; great playfield design, good art package, original theme with a little build in tension and controversy to get attention.

#49 42 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty much any random noun will make for a great unlicensed pinball game.
    Slug. Dog. Birdwatcher. Car. Woman. Camera. Man. Rocket. Disco.

Disco Slug has potential.

There are 215 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unlicensed-themes-that-dont-suck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.