20240319_084141 (resized).jpg
TRON_Disk_Plastic (resized).png
20230403_162241 (resized).jpg
Tekman-TRON_LED_RING (resized).jpg
20230114_060453 (resized).jpg
20230114_060437 (resized).jpg
20230114_060348 (resized).jpg
20230114_060339 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago

Interested! Can you please add me to the list?

#52 1 year ago

List edited

Making some progress on the control board. I received the electronics, I'm currently working on the SW to operate the detection. Once I have that running, it's straightforward to control the led disc.

Cheers

#53 1 year ago

Im trying real hard here to get a tron, theyre kind of hard to find for a reasonable price. If i have mine you can sign me up for sure!

Control board for the fiber optics as well? So just one system that is able to control both ?

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Pastor69:

Im trying real hard here to get a tron, theyre kind of hard to find for a reasonable price. If i have mine you can sign me up for sure!
Control board for the fiber optics as well? So just one system that is able to control both ?

That's the primary intent actually.

But just to be clear: 1/ I can't control Eli fiber emitters, I don't have access to the schematics and 2/ it's unlikely to be at the level of flexibility that Eli solution proposes, I'm not sufficiently proficient in SW development. But at least it will be documented.

#55 1 year ago

I am just seeing this mod and am very interested, please add me to the list for disc mod if you have any open slots.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

That's the primary intent actually.
But just to be clear: 1/ I can't control Eli fiber emitters, I don't have access to the schematics and 2/ it's unlikely to be at the level of flexibility that Eli solution proposes, I'm not sufficiently proficient in SW development. But at least it will be documented.

That’s cool. As long as you are able to update the code with a USB its perfect.

#57 1 year ago

Please add me to the interested list. Thank you!

#58 1 year ago

Add me to the interested list please

#59 1 year ago

If someone can send me an old disc a Tron. I might be able to get just the disc made out of PolyCarbonate.
That is if there is a need / won't come with Ashram56 's kit.

1 month later
#60 1 year ago

Please add me to the list! So cool that Tron mods are getting some love again! I thought they died off when I finally got my hands on one.

#61 1 year ago

I'm still alive !!

Professional activity and personal life always have a tendency to get in the way of pinball

Anyway, I have received the HW prototypes. I have some mixed results, fighting with the SW side, I might have to spin the board to fix some assumptions I had made which proved to be inaccurate.

With regards to the disc:
It is possible to not replace the disc, but it requires to decouple it from the shaft. Coupling is done through a screwed in allen screw, and both of those who tried (me and another pinsider) could simply not unscrew it. In this case, it is pretty much required to remove the center rubber on the disc to access the three main screws. Which means afterward cleaning up the disc to replace the rubber.

This is the occasion to replace all rubber to transparent, but sometimes the glue residue are a pain to remove...

So probably best indeed to plan for a disc replacement and set of transparent rubber as part of the kit.

Rubber replacement can be found in Europe here:
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/pinball-rubber/miscellaneous/4365/disc-rubber-set-for-tron-legacy-transparent

or here:
http://pinball-mods.com/oscom/spinning-disk-p-51.html

(although if someone has access to a laser CNC, probably cheap to manufacture yourself as well)

I did order a replacement disc back in the days, but can't find it online right now though

#62 1 year ago

Further progress: SAM bus detector is working.

I can detect all coils/flashers easily. I actually have modified my original mod, which was relying on triggering directly through the motor relays to control the ledring, to now use this SAM detector which sits on the data bus. Neat and elegant.

It also opens the door to other effects, originally I had limited myself to motor on and disc direction, but I could also add effects depending on other coils/flashers (btw, does someone recall if the flasher beneath the disc flashes as long as the disc is spinning, or does it flash only when the disc entrance opto is triggered ?).

Next step: Redesign the board to clean up the design and make it more "manufacturing" friendly (and smaller, current setup interferes a little bit mechanically with the cabling)

After that I can discuss with @PinFandago on how to best setup the manufacturing pipeline for the complete mod.

Inserts will take a little bit more time, from the HW perspective no change, but SW is far more complicated (such as : how to detect a blinking state)

20230403_162241 (resized).jpg20230403_162241 (resized).jpg
#64 1 year ago

Please add me to the list as well- this looks incredible!

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Further progress: SAM bus detector is working.
I can detect all coils/flashers easily. I actually have modified my original mod, which was relying on triggering directly through the motor relays to control the ledring, to now use this SAM detector which sits on the data bus. Neat and elegant.
It also opens the door to other effects, originally I had limited myself to motor on and disc direction, but I could also add effects depending on other coils/flashers (btw, does someone recall if the flasher beneath the disc flashes as long as the disc is spinning, or does it flash only when the disc entrance opto is triggered ?).
Next step: Redesign the board to clean up the design and make it more "manufacturing" friendly (and smaller, current setup interferes a little bit mechanically with the cabling)
After that I can discuss with @PinFandago on how to best setup the manufacturing pipeline for the complete mod.
Inserts will take a little bit more time, from the HW perspective no change, but SW is far more complicated (such as : how to detect a blinking state)[quoted image]

Looks epic!
What language are you using to detect the coils/flashers etc? If its open source i can look into it and possibly help with the sw side =)

#66 1 year ago

Very cool. I'm happy you guys took time to really develop the idea into something special.

#67 1 year ago

Idc like a disc mod too please

#68 1 year ago

Please add me to the list! Thanks!

#69 1 year ago

Please add me to the list thank you.

#70 1 year ago

Just as an update: PCB layout for second revision of the protoype board is now complete, fully integrated (which is cool, no soldering required). It takes about three weeks for manufacturing and delivery, after that it's testing time again to ensure I did not break anything.

2 months later
#71 10 months ago
Quoted from Zitt:

If someone can send me an old disc a Tron. I might be able to get just the disc made out of PolyCarbonate.
That is if there is a need / won't come with Ashram56 's kit.

Zitt/John,

Do you mean like these but Molded in Poly Carbonate which would probably be a lot clearer than the Machined Disk on the factory Part [which I think is Acrylic] ?

https://www.pinballlife.com/tron-plastic-spinning-disk.html

TRON_Disk_Plastic (resized).pngTRON_Disk_Plastic (resized).png
2 months later
#72 8 months ago

I hope this is still happening, any updates?

#73 8 months ago

Add me too!

#74 7 months ago

Good morning everyone

Life and work have a tendency to get in the way of pinball.
Yes it's still happening, but my second prototype had some failures which I did not have time to diagnose. It was neat though, but could not decode correctly the events for some reason. I'll respin it as time permits.

i'm not really in the mod business, was just doing this in my spare time, so please bear with me

Cheers

#75 7 months ago

Thanks for the update, looking forward to this mod. Its very cool!

#76 7 months ago

Add me to the interest list, looks great

1 month later
#77 5 months ago

Add me, cool mod.

#78 5 months ago

I definitely want to be on that list.

#79 5 months ago

Please add me to the interest list as well. Thanks!

#80 5 months ago

My new version of the PCB is in transit, cross fingers it's going to work this time !

#81 5 months ago

Please add me to the list please

Thanks

2 months later
#82 87 days ago

Any updates?

1 month later
#83 40 days ago

I’m going to offer a small run of five units of my variant of this project since I already had extra PCBs from my original minimum quantity order back when I made my personal unit one year ago.

This variant is slightly different in that it will turn the effect off when the GI goes out for a factory integrated look when other factory effects are being done while the GI off.

Anyway, I only have an LE to develop with and have never seen the underside of a Pro model to make sure everything would be a plug-and-play kit. I do know the Pro doesn’t have all the LED lamp boards and that is where my mod gets power from on the LE. I’m also not 100% sure if the disc direction relay assembly connector pinout is the same between the LE and Pro. The manual does show they are, but with only one wire color difference while still having the same pinout for my connector tap that grabs the spin direction signals from. A matter a fact, my LE has the same wire colors as the Pro according the diagram and I think the LE diagram is incorrect. I’m leaning towards they are identical, but it would be nice to get a pic of a Pro owners 6-pin relay connector to verify this assessment. I’ll attach the LE 6-pin connector for someone to compare with.

I have all the parts built and only waiting on making installation instructions. I plan on hopefully having that done by this weekend. These were surprising time consuming to build up and with so much wiring and connector terminations. I still need to add everything up and labor to come up with a price yet.

I’m tempted to only offer this small run of five units to LE owners since everything would be known to be plug-and-play with what I have already built up. If not, I suppose could add another 2-pin molex connector going to the LE power tap PCB. This way the tap PCB could be removed and an optional Pro model cable connection that grabs power from the 4-pin power connector near the service power box inside the cabinet.

20240319_084141 (resized).jpg20240319_084141 (resized).jpg20240319_092035 (resized).jpg20240319_092035 (resized).jpg20240319_092127 (resized).jpg20240319_092127 (resized).jpg
#84 39 days ago

I apologize for the lack of update and very slow progress. As I had noted originally, I'm not in the mod business, and I have to balance professional life vs family vs pinball. So I have the boards, but I've had zero time to work on them.

If anyone wants to go ahead with Tekman offer, please do !

I'll still work on the mod when time permits

@Tekman, if you're interested, I can send you one of my prototype board with SAM bus capture. Basically you capture data from the bus instead of triggering on the motor relays.

#85 39 days ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

@Tekman, if you're interested, I can send you one of my prototype board with SAM bus capture. Basically you capture data from the bus instead of triggering on the motor relays.

I'm really just interested in offering this small run of five units to utilize the extra PCBs I had leftover and offer a chance for people to have it now. Your SAM bus approach would be great for Pro owners that might be able to also use that to add ramp lighting control or other triggers as well. I think my offering is really best suited for LE owners or Pro owners interested in having the LED ring now. My motor direction triggering is a simple tap on the 6-pin motor relay connection (image attached).

I think I would be more interested in your new design you're working on if I didn't already have an LE, so I'm content with the original concept.

20240319_154542 (resized).jpg20240319_154542 (resized).jpg
#86 36 days ago

All five kits are built and I'm 75% done with documentation. They will be available on my website this weekend. I don't do wait lists or preorders and they will be first come first served on my website. No price established yet and they will be limited to one kit per person to be fair with such a small run.

Like I stated before, I developed this on an LE to be plug and play. I was really hoping a Pro owner would have chimed in by now when I previously asked if someone could compare their 6-pin motor direction relay connector with the picture I posted. I suspect they are identical, but it sure would be helpful if someone could physically confirm that by this Sunday. If not, I'll probably only offer these to LE owners to play it safe.

https://lundyelectronics.com/shop

20240322_074704 (resized).jpg20240322_074704 (resized).jpg20240322_151231 (resized).jpg20240322_151231 (resized).jpgFigure 13 (resized).jpgFigure 13 (resized).jpg
#87 36 days ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Like I stated before, I developed this on an LE to be plug and play. I was really hoping a Pro owner would have chimed in by now when I previously asked if someone could compare their 6-pin motor direction relay connector with the picture I posted. I suspect they are identical, but it sure would be helpful if someone could physically confirm that by this Sunday. If not, I'll probably only offer these to LE owners to play it safe.

I can take some better pics if needed, I believe this was the correct relay?

PXL_20240322_212239544 (resized).jpgPXL_20240322_212239544 (resized).jpgPXL_20240322_212301121 (resized).jpgPXL_20240322_212301121 (resized).jpg
#88 36 days ago

Please add me for 1

#89 36 days ago
Quoted from Tekman:

All five kits are built and I'm 75% done with documentation. They will be available on my website this weekend. I don't do wait lists or preorders and they will be first come first served on my website. No price established yet and they will be limited to one kit per person to be fair with such a small run.
https://lundyelectronics.com/shop[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like to reserve one please, my LE needs this

#90 36 days ago
Quoted from animesuperj:

I can take some better pics if needed, I believe this was the correct relay?

Yes. The Pro and LE appear to be identical. Thank you for helping out.

#91 36 days ago

Tekman od like to get one of these for my LE. Didn’t see them on your site yet. Thanks!

#92 35 days ago

My TRON Spinning Disc LED Effect Mod Kits were made available on my website yesterday afternoon. I still have two left this morning for those that didn't notice.

https://lundyelectronics.com/product-category/pinball

Instructions are here to see if this is something you feel comfortable doing first before you decide.
https://lundyelectronics.com/shared-files/952

#93 35 days ago
Quoted from Tekman:

My TRON Spinning Disc LED Effect Mod Kits were made available on my website yesterday afternoon. I still have two left this morning for those that didn't notice.
https://lundyelectronics.com/product-category/pinball
Instructions are here to see if this is something you feel comfortable doing first before you decide.
https://lundyelectronics.com/shared-files/952

Just ordered the last kit, I think. Thanks for supplying the instructions, not as bad as I thought.

#94 35 days ago

Thank you, everyone. These SOLD OUT pretty fast and I look forward to seeing them in action.

We owe Ashram56 a BIG thank you for making this idea possible!

Quoted from evileye:

Just ordered the last kit, I think. Thanks for supplying the instructions, not as bad as I thought.

You did get the last kit. The install process is pretty straight forward as long as you take your time and thoroughly follow each step.

#95 35 days ago

Dang! Oh nooo, I missed it… But congrats to everyone who got one.

#96 30 days ago
Quoted from henning:

Dang! Oh nooo, I missed it… But congrats to everyone who got one.

Me too, can’t believe it! Been waiting and watching for 2 years only to miss this opportunity because I was not on pinside for a few days. If anyone changes your mind and wants to sell please contact me.

#97 30 days ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Zitt/John,
Do you mean like these but Molded in Poly Carbonate which would probably be a lot clearer than the Machined Disk on the factory Part [which I think is Acrylic] ?
https://www.pinballlife.com/tron-plastic-spinning-disk.html[quoted image]

Yes. Sorry, missed the update.

#98 30 days ago

Looks like there’s a need for another run. Would love to see a video installed.

#99 30 days ago

I went ahead and ordered more LED rings and PCBs yesterday and will make another run of these again.

I gave this some thought and this will get this mod to people sooner than later while Asram56 works on his new design with SAM bus connectivity.

Ashram56 It would be great if you used my same LED ring connector pinout in your new design, so anyone that wants to change from my hardware design to your new design in development would only need to make a simple connection swap to the new board. Since all the hard work of the LED ring installation would already have been completed, it would make for an easy transition.

I should have more kits showing up in stock in as little as a couple weeks if deliveries from China go as planned.

#100 30 days ago

Excellent! Thank you Tekman!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Trade
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-disc-mod-open-source/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.