20240319_084141 (resized).jpg
TRON_Disk_Plastic (resized).png
20230403_162241 (resized).jpg
Tekman-TRON_LED_RING (resized).jpg
20230114_060453 (resized).jpg
20230114_060437 (resized).jpg
20230114_060348 (resized).jpg
20230114_060339 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

Good morning,

I have open sourced my Tron disc mod. Documentation is scarce, as honestly I'm abysmal at documentation, plus I lack time

Video of the mod:

Github of the mod: https://github.com/Ashram56/Tron-Pinball-Disc-Mod

Note the licence: this is GPL3, free to use and free for commercial usage, but you are required to give credit, and to release any change (both HW and SW) made to the design publicly, ideally as a commit or a fork of my github.

Questions, feel free to ask

[EDIT]

Given the interest, I'm considering building it, so using this thread to track interest.

At this point, after a quick analysis of the BOM cost and the number of people interested, I will likely end up in the range of $150. Most of it is actually the electronic control board, which I'm outsourcing to another mod vendor, the ever excellent stumblor

Price will be refined once we have a better picture of how many people are interested, and most importantly, shipping and VAT.

Pin_Fandango has offered to act as my North America rep, which is quite cool of him. He's located in Canada, so I will arrange bulk shipping of the parts to him and he can package and ship locally

Here are the interested people so far:

ZEN
Tsunami
dts
ryank11379
Saltimbanco
Sijcolo
ulmpharmd
tdiddy
Eagle14
snakesnsparklers
Mank
matlynch91
KYmanyfacedgod
Jecco74
roscoepinball
barakawins
tatman9999
thepinballworks
Flash71
vader1979
visualmagic
gprotein
FtrMech
digitaldocc
chrishoyle99
bchron
roscoepinball
TheBaron
FtrMech
ray3127
megalo17
TG
Faust
PlayPin

and of course Pin_Fandango

11 months later
#2 1 year ago

Love this.
I am interested in making A bunch.
Will ping you

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Love this.
I am interested in making A bunch.
Will ping you

I'd love a finished kit

4 months later
#4 1 year ago

I'm opening the list for interested people at the top of this thread

#5 1 year ago

Iā€™m interested

#6 1 year ago

Iā€™m in. Thank you.

#7 1 year ago

Definitely want one!

#8 1 year ago

Iā€™m interested in a finished kit

#9 1 year ago

I would like one of these, please add me to the list. Thank you!

#10 1 year ago

Iā€™m in!

#11 1 year ago

In for an LE

#12 1 year ago

Add me to the list. Please.

#13 1 year ago

Iā€™ll take one please. Thanks!!

Rob

#14 1 year ago

Ashram is my Pinball Super Hero.

I have not checked who is on the list and your geographic location but I can help anybody in North America US and Canada, for those of you getting the MINI TRON arcade (which I see a few already on this list as well) It might be a good opportunity to combine shipping if the timing is right, that said, I suspect the mini cab will be ready soon.

That said and to avoid derailing this thread, I will start my own thread for the mini cab so this one stays entirely devoted to the disc mod.

So stoked to be helping out Ashram with this! Merry Christmas everyone

#15 1 year ago

Just an update, most (if not all) interested pinsiders are currently in North America.

I will come back after Christmas break with a detailed plan. Still need the electronic control board, it's not ready yet as stumblor is quite busy on his own mods. My own control board, as designed, is not really suited for wide scale deployment.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Just an update, most (if not all) interested pinsiders are currently in North America.
I will come back after Christmas break with a detailed plan. Still need the electronic control board, it's not ready yet as stumblor is quite busy on his own mods. My own control board, as designed, is not really suited for wide scale deployment.

Sounds good. It willbw ready when itā€™s ready.
I am here to help as needed!

Merry christmas everyone!

#17 1 year ago

Is this using a one of stumbler's lollypop boards? Looks pretty cool but I'm curious to know more about the install and what triggers are used to hook this up and how it's powered. Also, is it customizable like Stumbler's other mods like the godzilla sign.

My Tron has so many mods I'm wondering how much more she can take before exploding.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Is this using a one of stumbler's lollypop boards? Looks pretty cool but I'm curious to know more about the install and what triggers are used to hook this up and how it's powered. Also, is it customizable like Stumbler's other mods like the godzilla sign.
My Tron has so many mods I'm wondering how much more she can take before exploding.

It will not be directly Lollypop, although likely a derivative.

Currently the mod simply takes the relay for the motor as an input (ie direction and operation). There are three states, idle, clockwise, counter clockwise. I have yet to determine with stumblor what type of flexibility we would want to add, and if it makes sense.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

This sounds like something to explore, for science.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

It will not be directly Lollypop, although likely a derivative.
Currently the mod simply takes the relay for the motor as an input (ie direction and operation). There are three states, idle, clockwise, counter clockwise. I have yet to determine with stumblor what type of flexibility we would want to add, and if it makes sense.

Ok. I'm also using the disc moter relay 20v (I think if I remember correctly) into an optocoupler that switches on/off a diy hologram fan. Maybe I can use what your doing to have a more elegant way to switch on/off my fan and have those cool disc lighting effects.

Will your lightshow have the motor off, motor on, and ball entering disc hit detection. With the targets up I think if the leds flashed a color pop on when one of the 3 targets were hit that would be cool. Then what you have with the moter running is pretty awesome as it stands.

Are the leds under the clear disc silicon rubber? Or under the disc?

2 weeks later
#21 1 year ago

If it's not too late, I would like to be added to this list. This is my first time back here in 3 years. Back because I just purchased a TRON, and now I get to have the fun of modding it like crazy!!

#22 1 year ago

Please add me to this for an LE version

#23 1 year ago

Please add my LE to the list

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Ok. I'm also using the disc moter relay 20v (I think if I remember correctly) into an optocoupler that switches on/off a diy hologram fan. Maybe I can use what your doing to have a more elegant way to switch on/off my fan and have those cool disc lighting effects.
Will your lightshow have the motor off, motor on, and ball entering disc hit detection. With the targets up I think if the leds flashed a color pop on when one of the 3 targets were hit that would be cool. Then what you have with the moter running is pretty awesome as it stands.
Are the leds under the clear disc silicon rubber? Or under the disc?

To clarify:

- I'm using clear silicon rubber for the disc, to better see the effects. Although conceptually, when you take a look at the disc itself, the ledring is beneath the acrylic part and is not obstructed by the dark silicon rubber. I prefer the transparent rubber myself, still need to discuss with Pin_Fandango on the best approach

- I use both relays triggers as an input, through optocouplers, connected to a small microcontroller. These are easy to detect, because they are directly driven through the power board. Detecting switches and opto have always proven to be more complicated, because of the way the switch matrix operate, so I'd rather stay away from this.

I'm discussing with stumblor for a custom Lolly derivative, as he has the manufacturing experience with it. Conceptually the design is relatively simple, but manufacturing it and ensure it's reliable would require spinning my own design (need to add rectifiers, etc), and frankly for 20+ units it's not really worthwhile. It does increase the mod cost obviously, but you'll get Stumblor board quality and flexibility (especially for the lighting effects).

I can even discuss with him about adding I2C input for additionnal external control units (which I'm working on separately, I have something in plans to read all output from the CPU board to the power board)

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

To clarify:
- I'm using clear silicon rubber for the disc, to better see the effects. Although conceptually, when you take a look at the disc itself, the ledring is beneath the acrylic part and is not obstructed by the dark silicon rubber. I prefer the transparent rubber myself, still need to discuss with Pin_Fandango on the best approach
- I use both relays triggers as an input, through optocouplers, connected to a small microcontroller. These are easy to detect, because they are directly driven through the power board. Detecting switches and opto have always proven to be more complicated, because of the way the switch matrix operate, so I'd rather stay away from this.
I'm discussing with stumblor for a custom Lolly derivative, as he has the manufacturing experience with it. Conceptually the design is relatively simple, but manufacturing it and ensure it's reliable would require spinning my own design (need to add rectifiers, etc), and frankly for 20+ units it's not really worthwhile. It does increase the mod cost obviously, but you'll get Stumblor board quality and flexibility (especially for the lighting effects).
I can even discuss with him about adding I2C input for additionnal external control units (which I'm working on separately, I have something in plans to read all output from the CPU board to the power board)

Sounds pretty awesome with lots of possibilities. Please put me on your interest list.

1 week later
#26 1 year ago

Ashram56 This mod is a great idea! Since no schematic/diagram was offered, I went ahead and designed my hardware variant based on my needs last week and sent the gerbers off to China. I chose to use the 2-pin motor connection itself to trigger the CW and CCW movements to make connections as easy as possible as well as monitor GI power to turn the LED effects off when the GI turns off. Iā€™m not a fan of mods running when the GI turns off to showcase factory effects where the mod should really be off. I also did the same with the lightcycle mod.

My PCBs arrived from China yesterday and I populated a board and did a complete bench test and all seems to work as expected. Your STL files are printed and the wiring harnesses are made and hopefully Iā€™ll get the time to install it in my LE this weekend. I don't have a clear disc spinner pad and hopefully the effects will still pop. I can always order one if not, but some people have complained that the clear pad doesn't hold up well.

Thanks for your creative thinking and making this idea a reality! I forked the project today and will share my work once I know everything is working 100%.

20230113_093323 (resized).jpg20230113_093323 (resized).jpg20230113_093334 (resized).jpg20230113_093334 (resized).jpg20230113_093729 (resized).jpg20230113_093729 (resized).jpg
#27 1 year ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Ashram56 This mod is a great idea! Since no schematic/diagram was offered, I went ahead and designed my hardware variant based on my needs last week and sent the gerbers off to China. I chose to use the 2-pin motor connection itself to trigger the CW and CCW movements to make connections as easy as possible as well as monitor GI power to turn the LED effects off when the GI turns off. Iā€™m not a fan of mods running when the GI turns off to showcase factory effects where the mod should really be off. I also did the same with the lightcycle mod.
My PCBs arrived from China yesterday and I populated a board and did a complete bench test and all seems to work as expected. Your STL files are printed and the wiring harnesses are made and hopefully Iā€™ll get the time to install it in my LE this weekend. I don't have a clear disc spinner pad and hopefully the effects will still pop. I can always order one if not, but some people have complained that the clear pad doesn't hold up well.
Thanks for your creative thinking and making this idea a reality! I forked the project today and will share my work once I know everything is working 100%.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My HW schematics were not on the github? Shame on me.... I'll add them.

There's no magic anyway

Just one question : I don't see any opto coupler on your board, did I miss them?

If they're not there, I really really strongly advise to add them.

EDIT : ah unless the opto is U1?

I also see a rectifier (I think), is this for power or to detect GI (or both...)?

My design uses a wemos, but you can actually also use an ESP12F module, which can be soldered by Jlcpcb. Super tiny.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

My HW schematics were not on the github? Shame on me.... I'll add them.
There's no magic anyway
Just one question : I don't see any opto coupler on your board, did I miss them?
If they're not there, I really really strongly advise to add them.
EDIT : ah unless the opto is U1?
I also see a rectifier (I think), is this for power or to detect GI (or both...)?
My design uses a wemos, but you can actually also use an ESP12F module, which can be soldered by Jlcpcb. Super tiny.

Correct, U1 is the opto. I'm using the bridge as part of the GI sensing circuitry and not powering the mod from it.

#29 1 year ago

Ashram56 I built up the motor assembly with your 3D printed brackets. The tolerances were excellent and great job!

Stern went nuts with the thread locker on the motor shaft bracket set screw. I tried brute force and also heating up the set screw and still broke one allen wrench and a second one now looks like a twizzler stick and it never even budged. I resorted to removing the three mounting nuts from the upper disc portion, which involved removing the center top rubber pad to get to the screw heads.

20230113_143838 (resized).jpg20230113_143838 (resized).jpg20230113_143858 (resized).jpg20230113_143858 (resized).jpg20230113_145000 (resized).jpg20230113_145000 (resized).jpg20230113_154126 (resized).jpg20230113_154126 (resized).jpg
#30 1 year ago

Ashram56 Everything is installed and working as it should. My plan of using just the single 2-pin motor connector didn't go as planned. I found out that the LE schematic is incorrect and it doesn't show the motor power resistor circuitry that is show in the Pro diagram, as well as an incorrect transistor designator, but I caught that error before I started the project. The power resistors prevented my circuitry from picking up the clockwise direction because of no direct connection to ground in the clockwise direction. Anyway, it was a simple fix by tapping the clockwise direction signal from the 2-pin connector that feeds to the power resistors. The only down side is that I had to tap two 2-pin connectors instead of one, oh well.

20230114_060334 (resized).jpg20230114_060334 (resized).jpg20230114_060339 (resized).jpg20230114_060339 (resized).jpg20230114_060348 (resized).jpg20230114_060348 (resized).jpg
#31 1 year ago

Ashram56 I'm loving this mod! Thanks for the great idea!

20230114_060437 (resized).jpg20230114_060437 (resized).jpg20230114_060453 (resized).jpg20230114_060453 (resized).jpg
#32 1 year ago

I have a TRON Pro and I'm interested

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Ashram56 I'm loving this mod! Thanks for the great idea!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey Tekman - are you going to do a run and sell a few? If so, Iā€™m in. Cheers.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from matlynch91:

Hey Tekman - are you going to do a run and sell a few? If so, Iā€™m in. Cheers.

This was a one-off project for myself. I see that you're already on the official list with Ashram56 and seems like you're in good hands going that route.

#35 1 year ago

Please add me to the list for an LE Ashram56
I have also sent a PM.

#36 1 year ago

Updated list

Just as an update, I've been caught up with other mods development (yeah, it never stops), so I'd like to get feedback on how to proceed:

- I can use my existing design (or a slight derivative so it's more robust), or even Tekman design if he's ok to share (my design is probably very close anyway), launch a 20 units build and call it a day
- I can use Stumblor modified Lolly version. More expensive, but more flexible and very robust. But needs a little bit of time, Stumblor is in the middle of his UFO run for GZ, so it's taking a lot of his time
- I can decide to skip the current version of the controller board altogether, and go for another controller I'm currently working on: it's an interceptor unit that sits on the control bus between the CPU board and power board, and interpret data, so it can read inserts/flasher/coils status. Which means it can also trigger the disc to additionnal patterns reaction. The same controller unit will be used to control fiber optics

This third option has my preference, but it requires SW development (HW is almost ready, I'm going to send it to production), so it might take some time.

Let me know your preference

Cheers

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Ashram56 Everything is installed and working as it should. My plan of using just the single 2-pin motor connector didn't go as planned. I found out that the LE schematic is incorrect and it doesn't show the motor power resistor circuitry that is show in the Pro diagram, as well as an incorrect transistor designator, but I caught that error before I started the project. The power resistors prevented my circuitry from picking up the clockwise direction because of no direct connection to ground in the clockwise direction. Anyway, it was a simple fix by tapping the clockwise direction signal from the 2-pin connector that feeds to the power resistors. The only down side is that I had to tap two 2-pin connectors instead of one, oh well.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the feedback on the shaft screw. Yes I had the exact same issue, so I removed the rubber completely. Did you run into issues (glue residue for ex) ? In my case I had not bothered, I had simply acquired a new disc

It's good to see that even with black rubber it does stand out nicely.

On the connection diagram, I'm a little bit unsure I understand, can you share a block diagram.

Both relays have a drive and power signal. But you don't need to connect the power signal, what I did was connect the positive input of the opto to a common 5V or 12V rail (common to the entire machine), and just connect the Drive signal of each relay I want to the negative input of the opto (which allows to use alligator clip directly on the relay itself). GND has to be shared between the controller board and the machine for this to work of course (which is the case since I use 5V supply from one of the 5V supply to one of the opto board).

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

This third option has my preference, but it requires SW development (HW is almost ready, I'm going to send it to production), so it might take some time.

I think there's no rush. I'd rather see a cooler and more interesting mod than feel like it was rushed for no particular reason.

Up to you, it's your time, but I'd support you taking as long as you liked to make something fun.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Updated list
Just as an update, I've been caught up with other mods development (yeah, it never stops), so I'd like to get feedback on how to proceed:
- I can use my existing design (or a slight derivative so it's more robust), or even Tekman design if he's ok to share (my design is probably very close anyway), launch a 20 units build and call it a day
- I can use Stumblor modified Lolly version. More expensive, but more flexible and very robust. But needs a little bit of time, Stumblor is in the middle of his UFO run for GZ, so it's taking a lot of his time
- I can decide to skip the current version of the controller board altogether, and go for another controller I'm currently working on: it's an interceptor unit that sits on the control bus between the CPU board and power board, and interpret data, so it can read inserts/flasher/coils status. Which means it can also trigger the disc to additionnal patterns reaction. The same controller unit will be used to control fiber optics
Let me know your preference
Cheers

So this last part confirms you are currently working on the interactive tron fiber optic ramps ?
Wonder how much it will cost!

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Thanks for the feedback on the shaft screw. Yes I had the exact same issue, so I removed the rubber completely. Did you run into issues (glue residue for ex) ? In my case I had not bothered, I had simply acquired a new disc
It's good to see that even with black rubber it does stand out nicely.
On the connection diagram, I'm a little bit unsure I understand, can you share a block diagram.
Both relays have a drive and power signal. But you don't need to connect the power signal, what I did was connect the positive input of the opto to a common 5V or 12V rail (common to the entire machine), and just connect the Drive signal of each relay I want to the negative input of the opto (which allows to use alligator clip directly on the relay itself). GND has to be shared between the controller board and the machine for this to work of course (which is the case since I use 5V supply from one of the 5V supply to one of the opto board).

The residual adhesive on the black rubber pad easily came off just by rubbing it with my thumb. The disc side was really hard and had to use a small flat head screwdriver to scrape off the big chunks and finished by shaving the rest off with a razor blade. I stuck it back down with 3M adhesive booger tape.

Iā€™m also only using the ground drives to trigger my directional movements. Iā€™m not a fan of alligator clips when I can get away with not using them and just chose to use the two 2-pin connectors using small pigtail tap harnesses to get at each signal. I could have used the single 6-pin relay connector, but I didnā€™t have any 6-pin connectors to make a pigtail tap harness in this case.

Hereā€™s my schematic. There are obviously many ways to accomplish the same goal.

Tekman-TRON_LED_RING (resized).jpgTekman-TRON_LED_RING (resized).jpg
#41 1 year ago

Sounds like you are working on the interceptor unit already so why not just go with that as it seems like you will be able to pull of some neat stuff. Will it work with folks that already have an Eli in the mix for the fiber tubes? Like others have said let's wait and make it pimpy.

#42 1 year ago

No rush here. Make it nice and make it right! I will support your decision.

#43 1 year ago

You know what I am going to say!
Go big or go home bayyyybeeeee! 3rd option for sure!!!

Awesome stuff!

#44 1 year ago

Where does one get the clear disc rubber?

If there is going to be a run on these in the near future... someone may want to let the :ahem: north american vendor know so he can order more stock... as he might be low on stock.

Where does one acquire the clear ?polycarbonate? disc the rubber adheres to?

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Pastor69:

So this last part confirms you are currently working on the interactive tron fiber optic ramps ?
Wonder how much it will cost!

I'm indeed working on it, for no other reason that I don't have an Eli mod so I'm really missing something. I do have fiber optics installed, but they are not interactive (colors just cycle)

Quoted from digitaldocc:

Sounds like you are working on the interceptor unit already so why not just go with that as it seems like you will be able to pull of some neat stuff. Will it work with folks that already have an Eli in the mix for the fiber tubes? Like others have said let's wait and make it pimpy.

I have absolutely no idea if it will work with Eli's mod, since I don't have one... If you can send a picture of the wiring from the main control unit to the fiber emitter (especially the number of wires) I can probably make an educated guess, but that will be just that, a guess

But just to put things in perspective, as I don't want to overcommit on something above my skills:

- Eli did a tremendous job on the SW side. His configuration web interface is very nice, but not only that, it relies on detecting events which are hard to detect (since he does not detect switches, he has to infer from the light status). Things like detecting from blinking to solid for ex. It's really not straightforward to achieve.

Unless I subcontract the SW development to someone else, there's no chance I can reach that level of integration. HW will be capable of it, it's writing the SW that will be the issue.

So whoever has a functional Eli kit, stick with it, unlikely anything can get better in the short/middle term.

- It is going to take some time. I launched a batch of 5 prototype board, and need to develop SW. And as in any embedded design project of significance, SW is 90% of the work, if not more. I'll keep this thread alive to provide an update on how this is moving forward.

Cheers, and enjoy pinball

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I'm indeed working on it, for no other reason that I don't have an Eli mod so I'm really missing something. I do have fiber optics installed, but they are not interactive (colors just cycle)

I have absolutely no idea if it will work with Eli's mod, since I don't have one... If you can send a picture of the wiring from the main control unit to the fiber emitter (especially the number of wires) I can probably make an educated guess, but that will be just that, a guess
But just to put things in perspective, as I don't want to overcommit on something above my skills:
- Eli did a tremendous job on the SW side. His configuration web interface is very nice, but not only that, it relies on detecting events which are hard to detect (since he does not detect switches, he has to infer from the light status). Things like detecting from blinking to solid for ex. It's really not straightforward to achieve.
Unless I subcontract the SW development to someone else, there's no chance I can reach that level of integration. HW will be capable of it, it's writing the SW that will be the issue.
So whoever has a functional Eli kit, stick with it, unlikely anything can get better in the short/middle term.
- It is going to take some time. I launched a batch of 5 prototype board, and need to develop SW. And as in any embedded design project of significance, SW is 90% of the work, if not more. I'll keep this thread alive to provide an update on how this is moving forward.
Cheers, and enjoy pinball

Much appreciated that you are willing to dive into this, the community needs people like you!

I read something on a different forum about being able to read DMD events, so if like a multiball is displayed on the DMD you can scan that and turn it into an event. I dont know if this is actually possible, but perhaps? Might make things a lot easier or harder hehe.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from Pastor69:

Much appreciated that you are willing to dive into this, the community needs people like you!
I read something on a different forum about being able to read DMD events, so if like a multiball is displayed on the DMD you can scan that and turn it into an event. I dont know if this is actually possible, but perhaps? Might make things a lot easier or harder hehe.

Yes it's definitely possible. This is how the Tron Pinvision works. So there are 3 methods that have been used for detecting game state in Tron (or any SAM game for that matter):

1. Intercept the ribbon cable from the CPU to the power board. This is what Eli's kit does.
2. Intercept the switch and lamp matrices. This is what the Total Lightshow kit does.
3. Intercept the DMD ribbon cable. This is what the Tron Pinvision kit does.

All 3 of the kits mentioned above work very well at detecting game states and reacting to them. Just different ways to implement and code.

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Yes it's definitely possible. This is how the Tron Pinvision works. So there are 3 methods that have been used for detecting game state in Tron (or any SAM game for that matter):
1. Intercept the ribbon cable from the CPU to the power board. This is what Eli's kit does.
2. Intercept the switch and lamp matrices. This is what the Total Lightshow kit does.
3. Intercept the DMD ribbon cable. This is what the Tron Pinvision kit does.
All 3 of the kits mentioned above work very well at detecting game states and reacting to them. Just different ways to implement and code.

Theyre all very valid ways to be able to create events out of them, but i do think that using the dmd way of reading certain modes might be the easiest. You only need 1 frame on the dmd that basically tells you a certain mode has started. None of that trouble shooting with which lamp/switch has been hit to scan an event. I might be underestimating it, but this definitely seems like the easiest way.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from Pastor69:

Theyre all very valid ways to be able to create events out of them, but i do think that using the dmd way of reading certain modes might be the easiest. You only need 1 frame on the dmd that basically tells you a certain mode has started. None of that trouble shooting with which lamp/switch has been hit to scan an event. I might be underestimating it, but this definitely seems like the easiest way.

Truth be told, that's also something I've been looking at, but it's actually harder to implement (so kudo to Compy for doing it)

1/ You need to decode DMD frame. This is not as easy as decoding a parallel bus like the CPU-to-Power board bus, as DMD data is actually serialized, and protocol is dependent on the architecture (WPC, SAM, Spike, etc).

There is an open source Teensy based implementation, but I don't think it has been maintained and I presume a lot of work needs to be done to make it work with SAM timing.

This is what Compy uses actually (you can recognize it because of the Teensy), but he did invest into making it work reliably

I actually have an SPI based code running as well on a Jetson Nano for that on Whitestar, but it's far from being ready

2/ You then need to identify frame to trigger an event, which would seem to be easy, but remember that you have variable content (score data, etc), so you actually need to have multiple masks applied to each frame relevant to each trigger, and you need to define them. There are actually database of this nature available on various virtual pinball forums (look up PuP Packs), but still needs to be implemented

Also, you can't really detect switches with just the DMD, they are not necessarily always displayed.

So way harder than it looks.

It's also a different set of SW skills : writing a logic analyzer type SW requires essentially microcontroller expertise, whereas writing code to match frame with mask and playback videos or send commands is more higher level (gstreamer type).

It's however the only method to reliably detect game mode (ie various multiballs for ex), and the potential is quite high.

In any case, it's SW again... HW is easy.

I really wish I had paid more attention to SW in my early days...

2 weeks later
#50 1 year ago

Iā€™d like a disc mod please!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Charlotte, NC
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-disc-mod-open-source and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.