Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,404 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by Pablito350
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2659 (resized).jpeg
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG
    MM backbox (resized).jpg
    IMG_0831 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0830 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0829 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-21 190411 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpeg
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS02 (resized).png
    ARCADE UPKEEP Dual Voltage PS03 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    screenshot (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_8354 (resized).png
    IMG_8353 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,404 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 29.
    #1351 67 days ago

Thanks @mr_tantrum, wasn't sure if they were interchangable.

Probably gonna take the plunge and do a new R&B file.

#1352 67 days ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Thanks @mr_tantrum, wasn't sure if they were interchangable.
    Probably gonna take the plunge and do a new R&B file.

It could certainly use a custom orchestration. I think the one I linked to only has changed out some of the music with that from the show.

BTW, if you do d/l that file when you unzip it there will also be a CSV and several OGG files in the root. You can delete all of these as they are for a virtual pinball configuration.

#1353 67 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It could certainly use a custom orchestration. I think the one I linked to only has changed out some of the music with that from the show.
    BTW, if you do d/l that file when you unzip it there will also be a CSV and several OGG files in the root. You can delete all of these as they are for a virtual pinball configuration.

Appreciate your guidance and this thread. Will start reading through from page one.

This may be an unpopular opinion but I tend to play the R&B more than the JP, it's a fun fast layout. R&B just needs an updated and good quality sound package and then hopefully Chad's magic touch.

#1354 66 days ago

In a brief period of searching for music and sounds for Rocky and Bullwinkle, found the treasure trove!

Read through the guide to get an idea of what lay ahead. I was going to start with some simple changes with the music and deleting the Wrong Hat call out.

I can see that it takes a lot of time to change callouts, finding one that fits the moment and is the right length of time for the given playfield occurrence. Then using Audacity to capture it...and so forth.

Would you believe there are 714 Rocky and Bullwinkle sound effect files (5GB worth) in stereo and all WAV format.

https://archive.org/details/track8_202004/Sound+Ideas+Rocky+And+Bullwinkle+And+Friends+Sound+Effects+Library/sirbf3/RNB/RNB03/0003/Track+91.wav

1 week later
    #1355 53 days ago

I’ve spent 10-15 hours on rearranging and correcting mislabeled sounds and callouts for Batman Forever. The “Original” sound pack does not line up with the actual game being played.

I have corrected some of the most glaring issues with the pack but I’m now stumped.

I setup Pinsound Studio Plus to record my games and I have been testing various switches to find the actual sounds by comparing them to you tube videos to see what should be played. During “Too Many Questions” mode, whenever you hit the ? targets, it should play “Riddle me this!” However, the pinsound is not calling or recording or playing any sounds for the switch hits. So in the playback recording, it’s as if no switches are hit so I can’t even assign the correct call out. This happens in the crime spree mode too, where all switches should make a fallout for punching sfx but I get nothing.

Any ideas? Thank you!

#1356 53 days ago

I just don't know if you can have any success filling in the missing sounds or not. There are a few different orchestrations that are reported to be missing sounds. While it has been several years since I've dabbled in it, there are tools to lookup/extract the sounds from ROM at each memory address. Even if you are able to get the sound extracted, the challenge is knowing what the PinSound folder name should be to add it. Over the years I've had multiple conversations (both in person and via email) with Nicolas, and on this topic he has always been vague. A couple of years ago after a conversation I finally just came out and asked him if the folder naming and how it worked was proprietary and that he just wasn't willing to share exactly how it worked. His direct answer was "yes".

With that stated, I'll I can suggest is that you search the PinSound support threads and/or send a direct question to him via email. Make your email short and to the point. I would basically point out that the original PinSound orchestration is missing some of the sound events, if it is possible for you to add them, and if so what the process is to do so.

#1357 53 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just don't know if you can have any success filling in the missing sounds or not. There are a few different orchestrations that are reported to be missing sounds. While it has been several years since I've dabbled in it, there are tools to lookup/extract the sounds from ROM at each memory address. Even if you are able to get the sound extracted, the challenge is knowing what the PinSound folder name should be to add it. Over the years I've had multiple conversations (both in person and via email) with Nicolas, and on this topic he has always been vague. A couple of years ago after a conversation I finally just came out and asked him if the folder naming and how it worked was proprietary and that he just wasn't willing to share exactly how it worked. His direct answer was "yes".
    With that stated, I'll I can suggest is that you search the PinSound support threads and/or send a direct question to him via email. Make your email short and to the point. I would basically point out that the original PinSound orchestration is missing some of the sound events, if it is possible for you to add them, and if so what the process is to do so.

My journey so far with the PinSound board in a DE JP.

Put in new full range speakers in the head and a new lower cab speaker from Amazon and the PinSound+. Installed the original Pinsound JP sound package and you get what you originally had, low quality sound that sounds exactly the same as the original low quality recordings of the era. Installed EndProdukt's custom sound file and wow, just huge full sound using high quality sound files from the movie.

If you are buying a Pinsound board thinking that their board and "OEM" sound package is going to sound better than the original, simply not true. You get exactly what the original sounds were, same aduio quality. But if you want to do what Mr_Tantrum showed is possible on page 1, you can do a lot with what they offer with some time and effort.

I like the Pinsound products and the build quality is very good. Considering the cost I beleive many buyers are under the assumption that the stock sound files are correct for all the machines they list. They are not so buyer beware. In fact, I think Pinsound should cease all work on new OEM sound packages and fix all the issues people are reporting.

Also wish PinSound would answer questions posted on their forum IN the forum and not by PM's. A forum is how you build knowledge and support for the customers for your product. Wish they would use it!

PinSound needs to listen to their customers when incorrect stock sound files are found and a person or people, such as Spunky and Tantrum, are trying to help improve THEIR product. Ignoring this fact and the high price of Pinsound products will surely lead to competition from someone else.

Mr_Tantrum , when looking at a sound file in PinSound Studio, is the list of numbers before each sound file a memory address location? I'm curious too about the file structure. When a sound clip is missing in the example above how is it then inserted? Pinsound may not want to share too much as it would show what they are doing and then lead to a cheaper alternative provided by someone else.?.?

Why doesn't PinSound provide something in their "Studio Pro" software to insert a sound file if they won't provide any useful support?

PinSound is shooting themslves in the foot in the long run by ignoring improper stock sound packages.

#1358 53 days ago

The folder numbering convention is proprietary and not translatable to a memory address. As a matter of fact, you will see different orchestrations for the same game that use completely different folder names and they both still work. There is some sort of encoding/decoding going on within the PinSound, which is part of their proprietary methodology.

#1359 53 days ago

The audio file is there in its folder, but the pinsound isn’t calling for a sound. I can push the switches 5 times, but there are no “events” happening in the pinsound recording file. The pinsound doesn’t know there is a switch being pressed there.

The CPU is asking the pinsound for a file, but the pinsound board doesn’t know the CPU is asking for a sound so it neither registers in the log nor plays anything. So the actual sound file has been extracted (I’ve updated it with the movie sound) but maybe the CPU is calling for a different “folder address” that doesn’t exist in the pinsound pack so pinsound just doesn’t respond? I think that’s what you are saying?

I have sent an email direct and agree they should be responding in their forum for us to help everyone. I think it’s horrible to list the pinsound as compatible with a game but it actually doesn’t fully work. I’m happy to share as I think it betters the hobby but I can’t share what doesn’t exist.

#1360 53 days ago

The CPU calls for a memory address from which it references the sound file. In theory (I don't know for a fact how it works), the PinSound intercepts this call for the address, translates it to its folder structure somehow (the secret sauce), and then pulls the associated file from the folder (you can actually have multiple files in a single folder and it will play them randomly when the event is triggered).

If the PinSound does not even acknowledge that a sound is being called, then I have no idea what might cause this. I'm assuming the same event with the original sound card triggers a sound?

#1361 53 days ago

Yes. The original sound board plays this callout, but the pinsound doesn’t even acknowledge a sound callout is wanted. It doesn’t intercept anything in those modes.

#1362 53 days ago

You guys looked at the DE Audio CD thread?

I just downloaded the DE JP zip file and he did nice work. Playing it through a lower end sound bar here at work it and wow, nice full rich stereo sound of the original DE music. Crash was a fan of the artist that created the music.

Not sure how he's pulling the music.

Now if we could get complete original sound files converted into stereo, that would be slick.

Here a pic of the file unzipped, check out the naming convetions. Is that hexidecimal?
    File Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPGFile Content DE Audio FLAC (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #1363 45 days ago

Good evening,

I have this PinSound Neo board installed in my Williams IJ and it provides great music, sound effects, and call outs during game play.

I recently picked up a Stern LOTR and would like to transfer this board to that pin and upload LOTR sound files to it.

I would like to keep the IJ sound file, presumably on the USB, in case I want to transfer it back to IJ.

I reached out to the PinSound team asking how to do all this but have not heard back.

How do I transfer the board? Do I need to order new connectors or other hardware moving it from a Williams to a Stern? Do I just use a different USB to save the LOTR file?

TIA

IMG_2659 (resized).jpegIMG_2659 (resized).jpeg

#1364 45 days ago

To keep things easier I would just pickup another 8gb usb stick and keep the sound packages for different machines isolated. As for the swap I don’t recall if you need different cabling but I do believe there is a small adapter board that has to be installed on the white star board. You’ll need to pull a chip, install the adapter board then reinstall the chip then do the cabling.

Quoted from PinDeadHead:

Good evening,
    I have this PinSound Neo board installed in my Williams IJ and it provides great music, sound effects, and call outs during game play.
    I recently picked up a Stern LOTR and would like to transfer this board to that pin and upload LOTR sound files to it.
    I would like to keep the IJ sound file, presumably on the USB, in case I want to transfer it back to IJ.
    I reached out to the PinSound team asking how to do all this but have not heard back.
    How do I transfer the board? Do I need to order new connectors or other hardware moving it from a Williams to a Stern? Do I just use a different USB to save the LOTR file?
    TIA
    [quoted image]

#1365 45 days ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

To keep things easier I would just pickup another 8gb usb stick and keep the sound packages for different machines isolated. As for the swap I don’t recall if you need different cabling but I do believe there is a small adapter board that has to be installed on the white star board. You’ll need to pull a chip, install the adapter board then reinstall the chip then do the cabling.

Agreed. You must maintain different USB drives for different games. For install, checkout the PinSound site for the instructions for your game and you should see if/what additional hardware may be required.

#1367 41 days ago

Thank you!

#1368 41 days ago

DO NOT INSTALL THE MARCH 18th, 2024 PinSound Firmware Release.

Your machine will NOT have sound. Verified in a 100% operational STTNG working perfectly.
    Pinsound has been emailed.

Does anyone have a copy of the Feb 8th, 2024 firmware release? I have to reinstall to get my machine back up and running.
    Thank you in advance.

Eric

#1369 41 days ago
    Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Your machine will NOT have sound. Verified in a 100% operational STTNG working perfectly.
    Does anyone have a copy of the Feb 8th, 2024 firmware release? I have to reinstall to get my machine back up and running.
    Thank you in advance.
    Eric

I just installed the current march 18 2024 ROM update on my TAF, it works perfectly.

Try the newest one.

#1370 41 days ago
    Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Thank you in advance.
    Eric

LX-8? If yes try LX-7

#1371 40 days ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

LX-8? If yes try LX-7

Incorrect. Sorry Mikeman, that is not the issue. I am on the development team for LX-8 and soon to be released LX-9. That is not the cause.

It's a PinSound Coding issue related to this problem.
    Eric

#1372 40 days ago

Does anyone have access to previously posted PinSound releases? I have came across this issue once previously, and there is a location. Just can't remember where it was.

#1373 40 days ago

Yes, it's working now. Sorry, don't know exactly why I was having troubles earlier. Thank you.

#1374 40 days ago
    Quoted from Eric_Manuel:

Incorrect. Sorry Mikeman, that is not the issue. I am on the development team for LX-8 and soon to be released LX-9. That is not the cause.
    It's a PinSound Coding issue related to this problem.
    Eric

Argue with me all you want. I don't care. I am telling you though that when I put LX-8 in my game Pinsound does NOT work. Works fine when I put LX-7 back in. Yes it makes no sense. However that is my reality. I am not on the latest firmware - not even close. My STTNG has been working with pinsound for years and I have not updated the firmware to avoid the issues you were having. I have a unique custom audio package on mine and do not want to risk it not working anymore. Way too many hours went into it.

I will wait for the LX-9 version to try again.

#1375 40 days ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Argue with me all you want. I don't care. I am telling you though that when I put LX-8 in my game Pinsound does NOT work. Works fine when I put LX-7 back in. Yes it makes no sense. However that is my reality. I am not on the latest firmware - not even close. My STTNG has been working with pinsound for years and I have not updated the firmware to avoid the issues you were having. I have a unique custom audio package on mine and do not want to risk it not working anymore. Way too many hours went into it.
    I will wait for the LX-9 version to try again.

NOTE:
    All is good with the new PinSound Firmware update March 18th, 2024. Tested and fully functional with the STTNG LX-9. Several PinSound versions ago, I thought the same thing. It was (in this case LX-9) I was using. Installed the latest version on PinSound firmware, and terrible things happened.
    Had a discussion with Ingo333 about it, and nothing he's doing would cause that.

Reinstalled a previous version of PinSound Firmware, and the issues fixed themselves. After discussing the problem with Nicolas at PinSound, he discovered bad code in that version of the PinSound release. Mike, it may have been the firmware you installed at that time, which was the issue.

However the Feb 8th 2024 and the March 18, 2024 updates do work with LX-9 for sure. I am running LX-9 9113D Beta and all is good, fyi!

#1376 35 days ago

Just picked up and installed a Pinsound Neo in my DESW, and loaded up a few orchestrations, and everything seems to be working fine. Love it!

Downloaded, and installed PinSound Studio Pro and can't get it to open anything. As soon as I open a file it says an error has occurred, and the program shuts down. I just entered the S/N taken from the config file to register it to no avail.

The current version I installed is 23.11.29

Has anyone else come across this? If so how'd you fix it?

Thanks!

-Paul

#1377 35 days ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Just picked up amd installed a Pinsound Neo in my DESW, and loaded up a few orchestrations, and everything seems to be working fine. Love it!
    Downloaded, and installed PinSound Studio Pro and can't get it to open anything. As soon as I open a file it says an error has occurred, and the program shuts down. I just entered the S/N taken from the config file to register it to no avail.
    The current version I installed is 23.11.29
    Has anyone else come across this? If so how'd you fix it?
    Thanks!
    -Paul

OK... so I got it to work.

For future reference the program doesn't seem to work if you install it in any folder other than the root drive which is what the install program defaults to. I installed it in the program files directory to keep everything tidy as I hate having too many directories on my c:/ drive.

Go figure. Why in 2024 would anyone have to do this is beyond me, but it appears to be working now.

-Paul

#1378 34 days ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

OK... so I got it to work.
    For future reference the program doesn't seem to work if you install it in any folder other than the root drive which is what the install program defaults to. I installed it in the program files directory to keep everything tidy as I hate having too many directories on my c:/ drive.
    Go figure. Why in 2024 would anyone have to do this is beyond me, but it appears to be working now.
    -Paul

Thank you for sharing this. Had this issue since about November and gave up on trying to use Studio. I’ll have to see if it works. Did the same thing you originally did for the same reason.

#1379 34 days ago

I like what Pinsound is trying to do with their products.

Installed a Pinsound Stand Alone Shaker a week ago in a DE Rocky and Bullwinkle and think I'm the first one to do so as it does not work properly;

Without the Stand Alone plugged in;

With the Stand Alone plugged in;

Install pictures and diagnostic log sent to Pinsound.

Did not install a Pinsound sound board into this title, not worth it.

EDIT: There is one major issue I see with the Pinsound shaker design itself. The weights for the shaker are opposed 180° for full shake effect. You CANNOT change the opposition of the weights at all. The shaft has one flat spot and one set screw.

On the Shaker Control board there is a knob labeled "Intensity". That is no quite accurate as it is actually rotation speed that is adjustable and not intensity.

While speed does play a role in the intensity, intenisty is controlled by the opposition of the shaker weights and not speed of the rotation.

I was trying to back of the "intesnity" of the shaker and the feeling of a slow shaker comes through the cabinet as just that, slow.

Will have to modify one of the wieghts to allow higher rotation but the desried intensity.

#1380 34 days ago
    Quoted from JFresh389:

Thank you for sharing this. Had this issue since about November and gave up on trying to use Studio. I’ll have to see if it works. Did the same thing you originally did for the same reason.

I hope it works for you. I haven't had to do this in the last 20 years or so to get a program to work.

#1381 34 days ago

The free AI powered vocal isolator that pinsider CLEllison turned me onto is a life saver!

https://vocalremover.org/

That along with audacity to raise gains and remove clicks is a true GAME CHANGER!

I used it to remove all or most of the graininess out of a lot of the original 8 bit files.

Works like a charm and is super easy, though it only does one file at a time.

Does anyone know of a similar AI that will do batch files?

#1382 34 days ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

The free AI powered vocal isolator that pinsider CLEllison turned me onto is a life saver!
    That along with audacity to raise gains and remove clicks is a true GAME CHANGER!
    I used it to remove all or most of the graininess out of a lot of the original 8 bit files.

You have my attention.

I'd love to take the DE R&B 8 bit sounds and clean them up. My DE JP is sitting right next to it with Pinsound installed and it sounds great. Then you play R& and it sounds like an Am radio in comparison.

Crash has done some very nice work on DE music for many titles. He brought them up to stereo level quality;
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-want-data-east-audio-cds/page/2#post-8076060

Thanks for the link!

#1383 33 days ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Was playing with this tonight but not free;
    https://www.nch.com.au/software/free-downloads.html?software=wavepad&kw=edit%20a%20wav%20file&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwYSwBhDcARIsAOyL0fgetaBAmMt4XhOX61l_zNrW1ABCX2XbT9QPlKEil2gtA_NKzigjW5IaAoU3EALw_wcB

#1384 33 days ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

I hope it works for you. I haven't had to do this in the last 20 years or so to get a program to work.

Indeed it did work. Thank you! Never would have guessed that was the issue. I don’t think I’ve ever had a similar issue with a program like that.

Took me a minute, but figured out the somewhat clunky recording setup too. I am still doing small changes at a time, but at least I can figure out which folder is being pulled when. I found it best to delete the recording file from the USB as well as in the pinsound studio program files to start a fresh recording import for each iteration of testing.

#1385 33 days ago
    Quoted from JFresh389:

Indeed it did work. Thank you! Never would have guessed that was the issue. I don’t think I’ve ever had a similar issue with a program like that.
    Took me a minute, but figured out the somewhat clunky recording setup too. I am still doing small changes at a time, but at least I can figure out which folder is being pulled when. I found it best to delete the recording file from the USB as well as in the pinsound studio program files to start a fresh recording import for each iteration of testing.

Glad to hear! It's just lazy programming that I thought was over with 20+ years ago with small programs like these.

-Paul

#1386 33 days ago

Mr_Tantrum

From your guide on the first page of this thread, any sound clip to be played must also use the numerical address at the begining of the WAV file name as the folder it is installed in, correct?

For example;

1) Folder 1022002- MultiBall
    -1022022- Sweet Child of Mine.WAV

And this rule should apply to all Jingles, Events, Speech and Music?

When looking through Pinsounds Original sound file for R&B I saw several instances where a sound clip inside of an addressed folder did not have the address location at all for the WAV file. Without the corresponding address location stated at the beginning of the WAV file it should not play, is this assumption true?

Will get screen shots tonight. And will verify if unaddressed WAV files actually play when triggered through the Pinsound Pro software.

I recall someone posted a few weeks ago about a missing sound altogether in a DE TFtC Pinsound Original sound file. Wondering if this was the issue.

And an update on Pinsound support regarding the R&B Stand Alone shaker kit. Nicolas thinks it may be a bad splitter ribbon cable and they Air Mailed a new one at their expense. Kudos to Pinsound support!

#1387 33 days ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Mr_Tantrum
    From your guide on the first page of this thread, any sound clip to be played must also use the numerical address at the begining of the WAV file name as the folder it is installed in, correct?
    For example;
    1) Folder 1022002- MultiBall
    -1022022- Sweet Child of Mine.WAV
    And this rule should apply to all Jingles, Events, Speech and Music?
    When looking through Pinsounds Original sound file for R&B I saw several instances where a sound clip inside of an addressed folder did not have the address location at all for the WAV file. Without the corresponding address location stated at the beginning of the WAV file it should not play, is this assumption true?
    Will get screen shots tonight. And will verify if unaddressed WAV files actually play when triggered through the Pinsound Pro software.
    I recall someone posted a few weeks ago about a missing sound altogether in a DE TFtC Pinsound Original sound file. Wondering if this was the issue.
    And an update on Pinsound support regarding the R&B Stand Alone shaker kit. Nicolas thinks it may be a bad splitter ribbon cable and they Air Mailed a new one at their expense. Kudos to Pinsound support!

Only the folder names must begin with the numerical value. The sound files can be named anything you want them to be.

#1388 33 days ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Only the folder names must begin with the numerical value. The sound files can be named anything you want them to be.

Appreciate the clarification!

#1389 31 days ago

I installed pinsound for my LOTR / amazing!

One odd thing though - the knocker is no longer firing when a match or game is won. Instead i am getting a musical chime effect playing in the speakers?

Any tips on how to get the knocker to fire again? Did the USB sound file somehow override this?

Thanks!

#1390 31 days ago
    Quoted from Hershmeister:

One odd thing though - the knocker is no longer firing when a match or game is won. Instead i am getting a musical chime effect playing in the speakers?
    Any tips on how to get the knocker to fire again? Did the USB sound file somehow override this?
    Thanks!

LOTR does not come with a real knocker. It’s a sound.

#1391 31 days ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

LOTR does not come with a real knocker. It’s a sound.

Thanks for the quick reply - boy did it sound real!

#1392 31 days ago

Thanks!

What is the name of the Pinsound file you used for LOTR?

#1393 31 days ago

Some/many/all modern Stern games do not come with knockers. However, you can add one and enable it in the firmware (what I did for my JP Prem).

#1394 30 days ago
    Quoted from PinDeadHead:

What is the name of the Pinsound file you used for LOTR?

I am using the Sjoend file. I loaded a bunch on the usb, and that is the best one by far IMHO

#1395 30 days ago

I am using the Sjoend file. I loaded a bunch on the usb, and that is the best one by far IMHO

So if I load a bunch of files onto 1 USB how do you toggle between them? I’m sure this has been asked before, thx.

#1396 30 days ago
    Quoted from PinDeadHead:

So if I load a bunch of files onto 1 USB how do you toggle between them? I’m sure this has been asked before, thx.

Turn Volume down to zero, then immediately up one notch back to zero causees a switch to the next file on the drive.

I got the headphone device, which has a control knob - mounts to a leg, so even if you use the speakers you can easily change the volume and/or sound package without having to open the coin door. Highly recommended

#1397 30 days ago

Turn Volume down to zero, then immediately up one notch back to zero causees a switch to the next file on the drive.
    I got the headphone device, which has a control knob - mounts to a leg, so even if you use the speakers you can easily change the volume and/or sound package without having to open the coin door. Highly recommended

Thank you

#1398 27 days ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

I like what Pinsound is trying to do with their products.
    Installed a Pinsound Stand Alone Shaker a week ago in a DE Rocky and Bullwinkle and think I'm the first one to do so as it does not work properly;
    Without the Stand Alone plugged in;
    With the Stand Alone plugged in;
    Install pictures and diagnostic log sent to Pinsound.
    Did not install a Pinsound sound board into this title, not worth it.

After sending Nicolas the diagnostics file, the video clips and install pictures they deemed it to be a bad sound board adaptor cable. And they were right, the shaker is up and running.

They also sent the replacement cable by air mail on their dime.

Thanks Pinsound!

2 weeks later
    #1399 9 days ago

I'm a first-time PinSound owner and just installed a new PinSound Neo in my Data East Star Wars. It works but the sound is pretty jarring. The high-end is shrill and piercing while the mid-range such as voice callouts is low volume and muddy. The bass out of the cabinet sub is good. I'm using the "SWDE Original Trilogy Ultimate Orchestration" which is highly regarded by users in the DE Star Wars Club. In fact, I bought the PinSound because I've been running this same sound pack on my virtual pincab from a PC through a $20 amp to cheap speakers very similar to those in the Data East cab (4" backbox and a 5" mini sub) and it sounds great (ie full frequency range).

Plugging headphones directly into the Neo also sounds substantially better in terms of the high-end/mid-range imbalance, so I ordered a pair of $70 4" Kicker back box speakers which have gotten good reviews here on Pinside as upgrade speakers to replace the Data East originals. The new speakers have very slightly better overall quality but the same issues with shrill high-end and weak mid-range persist so I suspect it's something to do with the amplifier on the Neo. The audio sounds wrong in a similar way to when a crossover is set at the wrong frequency or something like that. I don't think so many DESW/PinSound owners would be raving about this sound pack if they were hearing what this Neo board is putting out. And most of them have original OEM speakers too.

* Is the crossover something that's under user control?

* I think the sound pack was probably created on an earlier model of PinSound. Do sound packs need to be modified to sound correct through the Neo's amplifier?

* I understand it's possible to edit the sound pack and I assume I could try applying equalization to fix what the amp is doing to the sound but it seems odd I'd need to do this (and perhaps I'd be wasting time correcting the original source files when the issue is really in the configuration or hardware). Is there some easy overall equalization parameter I could adjust in the sound pack as an experiment or is the only way to edit each audio file individually?

We were so excited to get our beloved DESW playing the original John Williams score (like our Vpin cab) in time for hosting league night in a couple weeks, so this has been really disappointing. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

#1400 9 days ago
    Quoted from MarkRan:

I'm a first-time PinSound owner and just installed a new PinSound Neo in my Data East Star Wars. It works but the sound is pretty jarring. The high-end is shrill and piercing while the mid-range such as voice callouts is low volume and muddy. The bass out of the cabinet sub is good. I'm using the "SWDE Original Trilogy Ultimate Orchestration" which is highly regarded by users in the DE Star Wars Club. In fact, I bought the PinSound because I've been running this same sound pack on my virtual pincab from a PC through a $20 amp to cheap speakers very similar to those in the Data East cab (4" backbox and a 5" mini sub) and it sounds great (ie full frequency range).
    Plugging headphones directly into the Neo also sounds substantially better in terms of the high-end/mid-range imbalance, so I ordered a pair of $70 4" Kicker back box speakers which have gotten good reviews here on Pinside as upgrade speakers to replace the Data East originals. The new speakers have very slightly better overall quality but the same issues with shrill high-end and weak mid-range persist so I suspect it's something to do with the amplifier on the Neo. The audio sounds wrong in a similar way to when a crossover is set at the wrong frequency or something like that. I don't think so many DESW/PinSound owners would be raving about this sound pack if they were hearing what this Neo board is putting out. And most of them have original OEM speakers too.
    * Is the crossover something that's under user control?
    * I think the sound pack was probably created on an earlier model of PinSound. Do sound packs need to be modified to sound correct through the Neo's amplifier?
    * I understand it's possible to edit the sound pack and I assume I could try applying equalization to fix what the amp is doing to the sound but it seems odd I'd need to do this (and perhaps I'd be wasting time correcting the original source files when the issue is really in the configuration or hardware). Is there some easy overall equalization parameter I could adjust in the sound pack as an experiment or is the only way to edit each audio file individually?
    We were so excited to get our beloved DESW playing the original John Williams score (like our Vpin cab) in time for hosting league night in a couple weeks, so this has been really disappointing. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the NEO doesnt have the 6 band EQ like the pinsound plus.

So you have ZERO control of the sound.

I think a lot of people have the pinsound plus (myself included), the neo is kinda new and a little bit cheaper, but SADLY no EQ.

You could send it back and trade it for a pinsound plus, or wire in a 7 band EQ:

https://www.amazon.com/EX-Band-Equalizer-Guitar-Pedal/dp/B0876NBHRB

There are 1,404 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.