tk_lock_pro (resized).jpg
JPEG-Bild-4E18-AC6B-0D-0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3331 (resized).png
IMG_3330 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_8623 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8621 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 22,448 posts in this topic. You are on page 445 of 449.
#22201 31 days ago

So no novus, but iso alcohol is fine? Yeah, definitely agreeing to disagree on this one. All good.

#22202 31 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

a few years in the paint correction biz disagrees with this.
we can disagree here, but any polishing compound applied by hand will add a lot more swirl marks than by machine. Do not believe this, do this to your car clear coat (which is a much harder type of clear and see the reflection in the sunlight). In game rooms were the lighting is poor, this goes unseen... but once you see them you can't unseen them.
Not gonna get into this any deeper. Good news is that if you polish the PF by machine (again, this is much effective that by hand and less damaging) you can restore the looks of a brand new PF, however, depending on the depth of the scratches generated by hand, this will require polishing for longer. if done well the removal of clear is always less when done by machine by a huge margin. I have tested this on painted metal panels, after pain correction involving wet sanding.
Machine is always best. IF the intention is to keep the PF looking sharp and glassy while preserving the clear (not removing lots), you want to always polish by machine.

I polished my LOTR with a yellow pad and Griots fast correcting cutting compound. Started with machine (DA) and realized that was a mistake fairly quickly - now have to go back and clean out every light socket / hole in the PF. Working by hand with the same 3" yellow pad, I could minimize material splatter, but as expected with the machine making many more passes than I could, it took me much longer to achieve the same correction I did in the areas I used the DA. The advantage of the DA being work time & uniformity, though increased time also yields increased uniformity when it comes to hand work. Looks great in the end.

You'd have to be either applying king-kong pressure and/or using an odd application medium to do more harm than good with compounds like Novus 2 - wet sanding yeah you could get into trouble quicker both in terms of messing up application and potentially simply more aggressive abrasion depending on grit. At the same time I wouldn't recommend Novus 2 for regular cleaning, based on the general mantra of "start with least abrasive and work towards more abrasive" to accomplish whatever job you're doing.

#22203 31 days ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I polished my LOTR with a yellow pad and Griots fast correcting cutting compound. Started with machine (DA) and realized that was a mistake fairly quickly - now have to go back and clean out every light socket / hole in the PF. Working by hand with the same 3" yellow pad, I could minimize material splatter, but as expected with the machine making many more passes than I could, it took me much longer to achieve the same correction I did in the areas I used the DA. The advantage of the DA being work time & uniformity, though increased time also yields increased uniformity when it comes to hand work. Looks great in the end.
You'd have to be either applying king-kong pressure and/or using an odd application medium to do more harm than good with compounds like Novus 2 - wet sanding yeah you could get into trouble quicker both in terms of messing up application and potentially simply more aggressive abrasion depending on grit. At the same time I wouldn't recommend Novus 2 for regular cleaning, based on the general mantra of "start with least abrasive and work towards more abrasive" to accomplish whatever job you're doing.

well no disrespect but just by reading your first line I can tell you were learning on how to polish on your first try, it is best to not practice on your machine. You always cover holes and things you dont want polish to go on or you run into this. I am comfortable doing it and have more experience, still, for inexperience people, you can achieve better cleaning by not using novus. Novus is not mean to be used for this, this is someones idea at one point and it got propagated but it is the equivalent of using coke to removing a rusted bolt lol.

And no, doing it by hand will always leave swirl marks visible to a spotlight (not naked eye) or sunlight, use a flashlight if any. Like I said, you won't see them in a game room but it does not mean they are not there, some PF colours will be better at hiding the imperfections your are introducing, you are basically cleaning the pf by polishing by hand which is the worst way of polishing anything. Novus is aggressive type of compound, it is not formulated for clear coat and if you are anything like me, who cares about paint, that is where the issue is. Ignorance is bliss, respectfully, if you cant see it then power to you.

#22204 31 days ago

back to the original PSA:

people are seeing improvement in tk performance after cleaning - whether with novus2 or with wizards mist and shine

#22205 31 days ago

a few years in the paint correction biz disagrees with this.
we can disagree here, but any polishing compound applied by hand will add a lot more swirl marks than by machine. Do not believe this, do this to your car clear coat (which is a much harder type of clear and see the reflection in the sunlight). In game rooms were the lighting is poor, this goes unseen... but once you see them you can't unseen them.
Not gonna get into this any deeper. Good news is that if you polish the PF by machine (again, this is much effective that by hand and less damaging) you can restore the looks of a brand new PF, however, depending on the depth of the scratches generated by hand, this will require polishing for longer. if done well the removal of clear is always less when done by machine by a huge margin. I have tested this on painted metal panels, after pain correction involving wet sanding.
Machine is always best. IF the intention is to keep the PF looking sharp and glassy while preserving the clear (not removing lots), you want to always polish by machine.

What's clear is that you've never actually used Novus 2. It is a very fine plastic polish. It will not damage any clear coat.
Novus 3 on the other hand....

#22206 31 days ago

Been fighting the right guide return since I bought it, finally fixed. Probably no need to taper the plastic wedge, but I did anyways. Black sharpie on the exposed end, pretty much invisible now. Slow rollers now hit right flipper 100%, kick outs from the pop bumpers hits left flipper 90%, right flipper 10. I was getting bounces to the left outlane previously.

20240328_090002 (resized).jpg20240328_090002 (resized).jpg20240328_090847 (resized).jpg20240328_090847 (resized).jpg20240328_091143 (resized).jpg20240328_091143 (resized).jpg20240328_091243 (resized).jpg20240328_091243 (resized).jpg20240328_091907 (resized).jpg20240328_091907 (resized).jpg20240328_091912 (resized).jpg20240328_091912 (resized).jpg

#22207 31 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

What's clear is that you've never actually used Novus 2. It is a very fine plastic polish. It will not damage any clear coat.
Novus 3 on the other hand....

Yes I have. "Damage" will depend on your interpretation. Are swirl marks damage?
Last, plastic is harder than Sterns clear. You do you! Cheers

#22208 31 days ago

Yes I have. "Damage" will depend on your interpretation. Are swirl marks damage?
Last, plastic is harder than Sterns clear. You do you! Cheers

If you're making swirl marks with Novus 2, then you're doing something wrong!

#22209 31 days ago
Quoted from pineal:

back to the original PSA:
people are seeing improvement in tk performance after cleaning - whether with novus2 or with wizards mist and shine

I know.. smh... I should have left the methodology of cleaning vague. Didn't mean to open that can of worms.

#22210 31 days ago

While it's great to understand and engage in best practices in cleaning your playfields, even if you happen to escape the endeavor without imparting any micro-marring on the clearcoat, the reality is that the heavy steel balls you pay good money to bash around will take care of that for you either way in short order.

#22211 31 days ago
Quoted from blizz81:

While it's great to understand and engage in best practices in cleaning your playfields, even if you happen to escape the endeavor without imparting any micro-marring on the clearcoat, the reality is that the heavy steel balls you pay good money to bash around will take care of that for you either way in short order.

There is truth to that. My gripe is seeing people unknowingly using these products thinking they are the one stop shop for cleaning a pinball and they go to town not realizing what it does to the clear.

Although swirls and marring will be introduced by the ball - this is correct - the damage a microfiber towel does when using with your fingers is actually surprisingly high. Art and the mix of colours do a great job hiding these imperfections that are introduced by hand.

Ultimately not terrible in the world of pinball however if you ever find yourself cleaning too harshly by hand, you will be introducing a lot more damage and scratches than what you are trying to remove.

Again. Just a thought.
Most of the vehicles I worked on had damage that was introduced when either waxed or washed by the weekend warriors. More damage was then added when trying to be fixed by hand.

Let's carry on with other Stranger Things now.
Cheers!

#22212 30 days ago
Quoted from fuzzel:

For all of you who couldn't get one of the great Medisinyl Mod (like myself). I created at least a variation of the isolation chamber for the left flasher dome of the left ramp.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6544798[quoted image]

Neat option, and awesome to offer the file.

*As for my set, It's an incredibly long wait, but the list is still open in the thread (though may be some time gap once I get to that "overflow" list portion).

If anyone is curious how I came to my tank design (not shown in the mod thread), as you can't see the entire tank in the show, I researched renders of the lab to see what the rest of the tank may have looked like (using the show version as best I could [full size handle, riveting, etc.], with some change for new sizing, particularly for the top to look right at that scale). Also opting for a post-ravaging, stripped paint/rusting appearance, as the white as seen in the show stuck out like a sore thumb in the machine.

paul-elder-751ee1ae-e42d-436e-8150-15a583e51f77 (resized).jpgpaul-elder-751ee1ae-e42d-436e-8150-15a583e51f77 (resized).jpgpaul-elder-ecfdfd33-49ae-49e1-9bd8-d1e558f9e092 (resized).jpgpaul-elder-ecfdfd33-49ae-49e1-9bd8-d1e558f9e092 (resized).jpgsth1 (resized).jpgsth1 (resized).jpgsth2 (resized).jpgsth2 (resized).jpgsth3 (resized).jpgsth3 (resized).jpg

#22213 30 days ago
Quoted from OreoFlapjacks:

TK Lock tip: If slowly getting poorer and poorer performance (chains, rejects back down the ramp).. CLEAN YOUR PLAYFIELD.

Over 3 months of ownership I would occasionally get chains, make adjustments, get clusters again... rinse wash repeat.

Last night I polished (novus 2) my playfield... It is at about 1200 plays and I wipe it down after ever 250 or so, but not waxed or polished yet. I immediately started getting ball 1 locks flying past the arm. Never got that before even when new. Lowered my RF power back down to 235-240 (from 255) and viola.. clusters again.

I think there is a good chance all the mods I've done to improve TK lock performance could have been avoided by cleaning the damn playfield and pinballs. doh.

Learn from my stupidity.

You're absolutely right. In earlier posts I already explained that I only got ball chains, albeit with a near 100% success rate. I tried almost all settings and measurements of the rod without any success. 2 Days ago I waxed the playfield, and only clusters after that, now on 8 or 9 consecutive clusters. Happy camper now.

#22214 30 days ago

So only Billie, my staffy, could appreciate the infinity door mod at her height....so went with a backlit rgb effect panel instead...came up great. Also added a neat external volume control that fits in the coin reject button.

#22215 30 days ago

One of the members here asked me to try and create something to replace the upper beacon. After creating the glowing ooze bumper cap mod for TMNT I thought I’d try my hand at creating the Radioactive Container from season 3 of Stranger Things. The container fits perfectly in the anti-ball trap plastic and looks like it came from the factory IMHO. This mod is available in my store if anyone is interested. It comes in 2 flavors of green. This is showing the dark green version

#22216 30 days ago

Here is a kicker protector for all 3D printing guys. It's thin but it should protect the kicker hole edges better than nothing and we have to see how long it will last

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6554780

protector1 (resized).jpgprotector1 (resized).jpgprotector2 (resized).jpgprotector2 (resized).jpg
#22217 30 days ago
Quoted from OreoFlapjacks:

TK Lock tip: If slowly getting poorer and poorer performance (chains, rejects back down the ramp).. CLEAN YOUR PLAYFIELD.

Over 3 months of ownership I would occasionally get chains, make adjustments, get clusters again... rinse wash repeat.

Last night I polished (novus 2) my playfield... It is at about 1200 plays and I wipe it down after ever 250 or so, but not waxed or polished yet. I immediately started getting ball 1 locks flying past the arm. Never got that before even when new. Lowered my RF power back down to 235-240 (from 255) and viola.. clusters again.

I think there is a good chance all the mods I've done to improve TK lock performance could have been avoided by cleaning the damn playfield and pinballs. doh.

Learn from my stupidity.

Funny you say this, my GOTG magnet was really wonky for a while and going back and forth with Stern they told me to add an extra washer under the playfield to bring the magnet closer, that didn't really do much. As weeks went on I cleaned the playfield and the magnet worked perfectly! Now every time its starts not working correctly I just throw some Novus down and back to %100! Weird but whatever.

#22218 30 days ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Funny you say this, my GOTG magnet was really wonky for a while and going back and forth with Stern they told me to add an extra washer under the playfield to bring the magnet closer, that didn't really do much. As weeks went on I cleaned the playfield and the magnet worked perfectly! Now every time its starts not working correctly I just throw some Novus down and back to %100! Weird but whatever.

And you used Novus 27, right?

#22220 30 days ago
Quoted from blizz81:

And you used Novus 27, right?

After Novus 27:

badgirlspf (resized).jpgbadgirlspf (resized).jpg
#22221 30 days ago

Actual picture of Novus 27

Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg
#22222 30 days ago
Quoted from Paseb:

my dealer received already a reply from stern
Have them loosen the two nuts on the picture about a 1/4 turn.
i will try that!
[quoted image]

I have the same issue, these works for you??

#22223 30 days ago
Quoted from Turtlepower169:

I got mine yesterday from Marco.
Maybe cancel and order through them?[quoted image]

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I ended up buying one from Tilt and they shipped it out right away. I will contact Melissa for a refund.

Quoted from insight75:

Yeah, if you didn't get one from cointaker, see if you can cancel (since they oversold) and go through another distro.

Thanks, I got the uv kit refunded and secured one elsewhere who had stock.

Still have the topper and shooter on order with cointaker but concerned how long this may take also

#22224 30 days ago

I have a spare shooter if anyone wants it at cost. I accidentally ordered two.

#22225 29 days ago

I have a new premium with the IC reader in the triangle cut out on the apron. I want to move it to the coin door, put an original triangle plastic in and backlight it. I make my own coin door kits and the LED backlight is no problem. I just need that triangle plastic or a good scan of the original and I can't find it anywhere!!

Please somebody either sell me, lend me or send me a scan of that plastic. I can't handle the way it is.

#22226 29 days ago

Comparison between Titan glow in the dark and the Radiant Things kit....
Maybe they look different in the game but the radiant rings are a huge disappointment.
Considering ordering a couple Perfect Play in a few different colors to see what they look like.

PXL_20240330_024331952.jpgPXL_20240330_024331952.jpg
#22227 29 days ago

Perfect play purple...the best

#22228 29 days ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Comparison between Titan glow in the dark and the Radiant Things kit....
Maybe they look different in the game but the radiant rings are a huge disappointment.
Considering ordering a couple Perfect Play in a few different colors to see what they look like.
[quoted image]

Have you got the link to the radiant things kit?

#22229 29 days ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Have you got the link to the radiant things kit?

You don't want them

#22230 29 days ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

You don't want them

Why? Are white or purple? I don't like the titan kit in UV green, because when the UV lights are working is stunning, but the rest of the game are a little bit ugly.

#22231 29 days ago

I put translucent perfect play on all our games now. Easier to have one color in my inventory, more light comes thru them too.

#22232 29 days ago
Quoted from KJS:

Do they glow under uv light like the photo above?

#22233 29 days ago
Quoted from KJS:

Yeah I was gonna order a couple different colors and see how they look under the uv

#22234 29 days ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Why? Are white or purple? I don't like the titan kit in UV green, because when the UV lights are working is stunning, but the rest of the game are a little bit ugly.

They are white and under the uv they don't do anything

#22235 29 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Do they glow under uv light like the photo above?

Here they are in normal and uv light. The uv pic doesn’t show it great but they glow nicely in person.

IMG_1623 (resized).jpegIMG_1623 (resized).jpegIMG_1625 (resized).jpegIMG_1625 (resized).jpeg
#22236 29 days ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

They are white and under the uv they don't do anything

Maybe you somehow got a normal, white ring set by accident? I love the look of my radiant rings with the UV kit.

IMG_4694.jpegIMG_4694.jpeg
#22237 29 days ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Maybe you somehow got a normal, white ring set by accident? I love the look of my radiant rings with the UV kit.[quoted image]

Mine work too. Not sure what is going on with his and the white looks fantastic. The green is too much and doesn't really match.

#22238 29 days ago

Count me in as someone who really likes the look of my radiant rings. Had the glow in the darks and the radiants are way better looking. They really pop under the UV light!

#22239 29 days ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Here they are in normal and uv light. The uv pic doesn’t show it great but they glow nicely in person.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Purple looks fantastic, where did you buy it?

#22240 29 days ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Mine work too. Not sure what is going on with his and the white looks fantastic. The green is too much and doesn't really match.

Quoted from LeMansFan:

Count me in as someone who really likes the look of my radiant rings. Had the glow in the darks and the radiants are way better looking. They really pop under the UV light!

Any picture in white with natural light?

#22241 29 days ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Radiant Rings powered off, powered on, and with the UV lights flashing. (Is there no way in test to have the UV lights stay on??? I couldn’t figure out how to do that). The UV picture doesn’t really do it justice. See the difference in color at the bottom right of the flipper? That’s how they all look when UV is all the way on.

IMG_0538 (resized).jpegIMG_0538 (resized).jpegIMG_0539 (resized).jpegIMG_0539 (resized).jpegIMG_0540 (resized).jpegIMG_0540 (resized).jpegIMG_0542 (resized).jpegIMG_0542 (resized).jpeg

#22242 29 days ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

IMG_4697.jpegIMG_4697.jpeg
#22243 29 days ago

They look awesome in other people's pictures. That's why I ordered them. But I'm not getting the same bright results other people are showing.

PXL_20240330_181948024.jpgPXL_20240330_181948024.jpgPXL_20240330_182946113.jpgPXL_20240330_182946113.jpg
#22244 29 days ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

They look awesome in other people's pictures. That's why I ordered them. But I'm not getting the same bright results other people are showing.

Did you get your kit from Wish?

#22245 29 days ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Your rings don't glow.

#22246 29 days ago

Anyone else think they will never ever reach the Final Showdown ?

In 2 1/2 years owning the game I have only got to one of the mini wizard modes once …. and the game crashed during it

I’ve had Total Isolation 2 a few times. My high score is about 1.4 billion

Ok I don’t play it that much - a few games a week at most . Many weeks not at all - I don’t play nearly as often as I used to but I think the older I get the more I just suck at pinball

#22247 29 days ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Your rings don't glow.

Is that an Alonso helmet on your profile picture???

I got his autograph a few years back. By itself and then with Phil Hanson and Lando Norris when they were co-drivers for the Daytona 24 hours. Alonso was pretty friendly. I still think if he’d been in better equipment he’d be at the top of the list of F1 drivers.

#22248 29 days ago
Quoted from Ive:

Anyone else think they will never ever reach the Final Showdown ?
In 2 1/2 years owning the game I have only got to one of the mini wizard modes once …. and the game crashed during it
I’ve had Total Isolation 2 a few times. My high score is about 1.4 billion
Ok I don’t play it that much - a few games a week at most . Many weeks not at all - I don’t play nearly as often as I used to but I think the older I get the more I just suck at pinball

I suck so bad I have my games set to 5 ball.

#22249 29 days ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Is that an Alonso helmet on your profile picture???
I got his autograph a few years back. By itself and then with Phil Hanson and Lando Norris when they were co-drivers for the Daytona 24 hours. Alonso was pretty friendly. I still think if he’d been in better equipment he’d be at the top of the list of F1 drivers.

Yes it is, i have the Official Schuberth Replica helmet of Fernando Alonso and Bell of Nico Rosberg.

I see on your profile 24h Lemans Logo, i went to Lemans last year, i think is the better race of all times.

#22250 29 days ago
Quoted from Galvez1978:

Yes it is, i have the Official Schuberth Replica helmet of Fernando Alonso and Bell of Nico Rosberg.
I see on your profile 24h Lemans Logo, i went to Lemans last year, i think is the better race of all times.

Hey, I went to Le Mans last year too! Going again this year. If you’re going back we should meet up. This will be my sixth Le Mans. It’s my favorite event in the world!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Decals
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 22,448 posts in this topic. You are on page 445 of 449.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-club-join-our-party/page/445 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.