20240424_130141 (resized).jpg
20240423_144416 (resized).jpg
IMG_1147 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1145 (resized).jpeg
20240418_085522 (resized).jpg
under pf (resized).jpeg
IMG_6077 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,781 posts in this topic. You are on page 216 of 216.
#10751 13 days ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

So I removed the audio cable from the MPU.
Pin didn’t boot, heard what I assume is the relay clicking from solenoid driver board
Turned it off
Then it booted
Game started and played
Played a ball then all coils stopped working other than flippers
A few seconds later, smoke started seeping out from below the playfield. Yikes!!!

Opened the coin door and smoke flowed out, shone the torch in but couldn’t see anything. Quicksilver is kinda jammed in the corner of my shed, so I was unable to open her up. I pulled the cables out of the Rectifier Board for safety. Quickly moved a few pins out the way and was finally able to pull the glass and lift the platform. Nothing obviously burnt in the cab or playfield. Rectifier fuses all buzz out, under playfield fuse buzzes out. Flipper coils measure at 4ohm. All other coils measure from 13-30ohm. Couldn't fins anything... Was almost going to turn it back on to see if I could track down the burning/short/etc... but thought better of it.

Did you check & test the Knocker coil Chris? and also the coin door lockout coil if connected. If the Knocker coil locks on it will smoke as it's not fused (via the 1 amp playfield fuse) also the coin lockout if that's shorted as that's not fused as well & can burn before the 7A F4 blows.

#10752 13 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 16b-3 to rectifier? I'm trying to play this Trident I rebuilt from the ground up and I'm getting 6 flashes on the MPU so I'm thinking it's possible the solenoids aren't getting the proper voltage. I think I might have followed the 16B-6 diagram on Pinwiki and I don't have another 16B-3 to compare to

Should be fairly similar wiring. Do you have solenoid voltage at the rectifier board (test point 5)?

Is fuse F4 good?

IMG_2581 (resized).jpegIMG_2581 (resized).jpeg
#10753 13 days ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Did you check & test the Knocker coil Chris? and also the coin door lockout coil if connected. If the Knocker coil locks on it will smoke as it's not fused (via the 1 amp playfield fuse) also the coin lockout if that's shorted as that's not fused as well & can burn before the 7A F4 blows.

Didn’t check the coin door. The knocker has been disconnected since restoring so can’t blame her

#10754 13 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for 16b-3 to rectifier? I'm trying to play this Trident I rebuilt from the ground up and I'm getting 6 flashes on the MPU so I'm thinking it's possible the solenoids aren't getting the proper voltage. I think I might have followed the 16B-6 diagram on Pinwiki and I don't have another 16B-3 to compare to

Here is one for a Hot Hand.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1244/Stern_1979_Hot_Hand_Schematic.pdf

#10755 12 days ago

I feel like there was mention of a cheaper way to order swinks drop targets in bulk at one point rather than using shape ways? Anyone? I've got like five sterns in various states of repair/shop/build and wouldn't mind to order like 50 or so if the price was reasonable (which it's not really through shapeways unfortunately).

#10756 12 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

I feel like there was mention of a cheaper way to order swinks drop targets in bulk at one point rather than using shape ways? Anyone? I've got like five sterns in various states of repair/shop/build and wouldn't mind to order like 50 or so if the price was reasonable (which it's not really through shapeways unfortunately).

Reach out to swinks directly. He'll occasionally do bulk orders and sell direct.

#10757 12 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Quoted from Mathazar:

Reach out to swinks directly. He'll occasionally do bulk orders and sell direct.

I still have stock of the Classic Stern Tombstone Drops - roughly 55 left across the 2 versions - $10 AUD each + postage

And can do 5% discount if you got 20 or more

#10758 12 days ago

So the smoke “I think” was unrelated. Found a gummed up/burnt coil sleeve in the ball trough which wasn’t allowing the mechanism to fully move. Replaced the sleeve expecting that to be the issue but nup. Vid below showing boot procedure. Same outcome whether audio cable in or not.

#10759 11 days ago

Sorry in advance for the dumb question, when reading schematics / pinouts, does the 1 (see photo) go to the topmost part of the MPU? In other words, I would plug the molex in with 1 closest to the top of the backbox assuming my MPU is installed right side up? I'm pretty sure I've got 3 wires backwards but I also realized that none of the molex have the white plastic thing to block people from installing the molex upside down. This was my mistake and now it's been a few weeks and I don't recall which way I had the molex plugged in. I notice on the Alltek boards there is a small '1' at the top of each connector, I assume this means this is where 1 goes?

Screen Shot 2024-04-28 at 1.39.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2024-04-28 at 1.39.21 PM (resized).png
#10760 11 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

I notice on the Alltek boards there is a small '1' at the top of each connector, I assume this means this is where 1 goes?

Correct, pay attention to where pin 1 is marked on the PCB. NOTE, the lamp driver board connectors have pin 1 at the bottom for some stupid reason! MPU and SDB have pin 1 at the top.

#10761 11 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Correct, pay attention to where pin 1 is marked on the PCB. NOTE, the lamp driver board connectors have pin 1 at the bottom for some stupid reason! MPU and SDB have pin 1 at the top.

Thank you

One more quick question, will SB-100 games boot/start without an SB-100 installed? I'm under the impression I'm not able to get to 7 flashes on the MPU, I'm getting 6, but the displays are blinking 00's like it's in attract mode. The coin door is dead even though I have tested the wires and connections. I thought maybe I wasn't getting the right voltage to the solenoids but that's not the issue either as I have the correct voltage at the rectifier. I can't enter test mode, add a credit or start a game. I was going to use the arduino/BSOS to run this so I didn't bother trying to repair the SB-100 that came with this, but I want to make sure that's not my issue before I spin my wheels for no reason

#10762 11 days ago

You do not need a sound board attached and working for any game in this architecture.

#10763 11 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

Thank you
One more quick question, will SB-100 games boot/start without an SB-100 installed? I'm under the impression I'm not able to get to 7 flashes on the MPU, I'm getting 6, but the displays are blinking 00's like it's in attract mode. The coin door is dead even though I have tested the wires and connections. I thought maybe I wasn't getting the right voltage to the solenoids but that's not the issue either as I have the correct voltage at the rectifier. I can't enter test mode, add a credit or start a game. I was going to use the arduino/BSOS to run this so I didn't bother trying to repair the SB-100 that came with this, but I want to make sure that's not my issue before I spin my wheels for no reason

You mentioned some connectors possibly miss-wired/backwards. Did you attempt to boot the game that way?

#10764 10 days ago

This has been a huge pain in the ass, but really happy with how it's coming out. One more coat of clear and polish I think.

All inserts but blue and amber replaced with opaque to hide the LEDs. Laser engraved big blues and shoot again - really dig how you don't see the engraving until lit, then it pops. Made vinyl stencils and airbrushed all new key lines, along with touchup. It's not perfect, but it's gonna look and play killer when I get it back together.

PXL_20240428_201301315 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_201301315 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_191747704 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_191747704 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_201325315 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_201325315 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_124727664 (resized).jpgPXL_20240428_124727664 (resized).jpg
#10765 10 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

This has been a huge pain in the ass, but really happy with how it's coming out. One more coat of clear and polish I think.
All inserts but blue and amber replaced with opaque to hide the LEDs. Laser engraved big blues and shoot again - really dig how you don't see the engraving until lit, then it pops. Made vinyl stencils and airbrushed all new key lines, along with touchup. It's not perfect, but it's gonna look and play killer when I get it back together.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You have done a very nice job. Looks good !

#10766 10 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

All inserts but blue and amber replaced with opaque to hide the LEDs. Laser engraved big blues and shoot again - really dig how you don't see the engraving until lit, then it pops. Made vinyl stencils and airbrushed all new key lines, along with touchup. It's not perfect, but it's gonna look and play killer when I get it back together.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks. I'm trying not to think too hard about what a pita it always is to put one back together. At least with an original playfield I don't have to double check every measurement like with a repro. and since I can't put a ball on it for a good while I've got time to screw with that at least, lol

#10767 9 days ago

Classic Stern owners: did Stern use the same (impossible to find) slingshot arm from 77 to 84?

Still holding out hope for a reproduction.

#10768 9 days ago

Yes, it’s actually the same(ish*) design used on Chicago Coin games too.

*there’s an extra armature for the scoring switch since EMs needed that, but otherwise it’s the same.

#10769 8 days ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Classic Stern owners: did Stern use the same (impossible to find) slingshot arm from 77 to 84?
Still holding out hope for a reproduction.

Lazer cut part = easy
bend =easy
stamped curve = hard
collar & orbital rivet die = hard

#10770 6 days ago

anyone have a spare Ali pop cap? need 1 bc ours has a star trek one on it

#10771 6 days ago

Hi all

Just got a Seawitch with a sound issue. It makes a continuous noise when it boots and it doesn't stop until you start a game, then it's totally normal from then on.

Also the volume at its lowest is still really loud. The volume will go up even louder but won't go quieter than the lowest which is louder than most games on full blast!

Am I right in understanding there's an IC That deals with volume?

I have made a thread about the above issues but no responses yet so thought I'd muster the stern club
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-seawitch-makes-noise-until-you-ve-started-a-game-

#10772 6 days ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Hi all
Just got a Seawitch with a sound issue. It makes a continuous noise when it boots and it doesn't stop until you start a game, then it's totally normal from then on.
Also the volume at its lowest is still really loud. The volume will go up even louder but won't go quieter than the lowest which is louder than most games on full blast!
Am I right in understanding there's an IC That deals with volume?
I have made a thread about the above issues but no responses yet so thought I'd muster the stern club
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-seawitch-makes-noise-until-you-ve-started-a-game-

It could be lots of things causing this. Is the sound board original with it's original capacitors? If so, I would replace all of those first.

#10773 5 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Such a solid game with new code running.
Dick and I designed a topper to house external speakers and LED flasher strips; I haven’t had time to build mine yet but once I do I will post pics and video of it in action.
He designed a special lamp board which is easy to assemble, which connects to the Arduino and the flasher effects are synced up to game play.
In his prototype he just had flash strips in the topper, but if you were so inclined, you could add them to the playfield (under the back plastics along the rear wooden rail, for example) or underneath the cabinet as well.

I’m planning to tinker with it a bit and see what works on the playfield. The game really should have had flashers and it feels like a much needed fix to me…just need to set aside the time to work on it!

#10774 4 days ago

I just purchased a F2K yesterday and the first thing I realized is the inlane guides are the art plastics. I suspect someone has figured out a metal inlane guide and put some standoffs on top of it for the art--any leads?

#10775 4 days ago
Quoted from Biju:

I just purchased a F2K yesterday and the first thing I realized is the inlane guides are the art plastics. I suspect someone has figured out a metal inlane guide and put some standoffs on top of it for the art--any leads?

Great pick up. Check out the club thread. There should be examples of putting a spacer on top of a clear plastic inlane and then the art plastic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome

#10776 4 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Great pick up. Check out the club thread. There should be examples of putting a spacer on top of a clear plastic inlane and then the art plastic.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flight-2000-club-members-and-fans-welcome

thanks, I should have searched over there too! I just thought this might get more traction since there's a few of these with the same configuration.

#10777 2 days ago

Is there a name for these white posts in early sterns? Not sure what to look for if I want to replace some. Closest I've found was "spacer" but the part didn't look quite the same.

Could these just be replaced with modern rubber posts?

20240507_124521 (resized).jpg20240507_124521 (resized).jpg
#10778 2 days ago
Quoted from BrotherSir:

Is there a name for these white posts in early sterns? Not sure what to look for if I want to replace some. Closest I've found was "spacer" but the part didn't look quite the same.
[quoted image]

They are just plactic tubing used in tight and / or out of sight places on Classic Sterns.

This part from Pinball Life is a nice substitute.

https://www.pinballlife.com/6-x-78-nylon-round-spacer-14-od.html

#10779 2 days ago
Quoted from BrotherSir:

[quoted image]

Trivial to make if you know someone with 3D printer, I make Bally ones.

Pinside_forum_6650041_2669163 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6650041_2669163 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6650410_2669455 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6650410_2669455 (resized).jpg
#10780 2 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Trivial to make if you know someone with 3D printer, I make Bally ones.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Those are way to fancy for a Classic Stern.

#10781 2 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Those are way to fancy for a Classic Stern.

They do look pretty on a new scratch build though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 169.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 169.00
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Earp, CA
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 959.00
There are 10,781 posts in this topic. You are on page 216 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/216 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.