Pinside_forum_8106235_0 (resized).png
Pinside_forum_7773109_2 (resized).jpg
229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 214 of 216.
#10651 41 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Which leads to this: Never throw anything away. It could come in handy someday

Same here. Used an old coin box lid to make an extension to my trough guide. Needed one for a wide body but only had a regular trough guide. Well concealed under the apron and can’t be seen normally.

If the next guy thinks it’s a hack he can replace it.

IMG_2275 (resized).jpegIMG_2275 (resized).jpeg
#10652 40 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Same here. Used an old coin box lid to make an extension to my trough guide. Needed one for a wide body but only had a regular trough guide. Well concealed under the apron and can’t be seen normally.
If the next guy thinks it’s a hack he can replace it.
[quoted image]

Cheetah is a wide body like Big Game. Put a strip of black Gorilla duct tape across those ball guides under apron. And then remove the anti-bang back ball guide wire.

If Cheetah is anything like my Big Game, when a ball is coming down from the right side, sometimes you will get a Lazareth ball. Just enough so you can catch the ball with the right flipper and put it back into play.

I discovered this by accident and decided to leave the wire guide out. I had the bad habit of throwing my arms in the air when the ball drained. This last chance rebound taught me to keep my fingers on the flippers until the ball is really gone.

You probably don't need the tape but pull the wire and play it for awhile. My standard size Sterns do not have this wire but my Big Game and F2K do have this wire. And now your Cheetah.

Is it cheating? I don't think so ( But it is not something you would do if you were an OP looking for coins ). it is just one more shot that takes a bit of skill to keep on playing.

My one Gottlieb pin has a rebound post under the apron that can give you that one last chance to recover. But it only happens about 5% of the time.

Keep your finders on the flipper buttons.

Try it and tell us what happens.

Thanks.

BTW: That is how Stern did this on Big Game. A regular ball guide with a 3" extender, just like what you did. There is no long ball guide.

#10653 40 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

BTW: That is how Stern did this on Big Game. A regular ball guide with a 3" extender, just like what you did. There is no long ball guide.

When I was looking for this part you are probably the one that said to make my own.

Yes, should not have installed that anti-bang back wire. It's tempting to remove it but that would risk damage and leave two fugly holes.

#10654 40 days ago

I always leave the biff bars off when swapping. No particular reason just don't think most games need them.

#10655 40 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

I always leave the biff bars off when swapping. No particular reason just don't think most games need them.

I wouldn't mind putting them on - but I really really dislike how Big Game's is over the 'Collect Bonus' text. So whenever I get my new PF for it, I'll leave that one off.

#10656 40 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Yes, should not have installed that anti-bang back wire. It's tempting to remove it but that would risk damage and leave two fugly holes.

This is just a piece of wire without any locking tangs squeezed on. It will pull out easy. And you will not see the holes when playing.

Get ready for a carargument: I was at a street car show a few years ago and was talking with a guy who who had resto-modded an old Hudson Terraplane ( a car ). I commented on some of the rock chips in his fenders. He said, " Either you cover the car with a blanket and drag it out on weekends so you can ooh and ahh your friends as you swill beer and cover it back up for next weekend.

Or, you drive it and enjoy it. And you get rock chips.

Quoted from Coyote:

I wouldn't mind putting them on - but I really really dislike how Big Game's is over the 'Collect Bonus' text. So whenever I get my new PF for it, I'll leave that one off.

Unless you are 10 foot tall, you won't be seeing anything right in front of the apron while playing.

But you will enjoying playing with that wire removed. When you see that ball coming down from the 4-5-6 drop targets, keep your fingers on those flipper buttons.

#10657 40 days ago

I was surprised today to get my new 1B-243 from Mantis. Excellent! Beautiful and about 25% thicker than the original, 0.038 vs 0.030 inches. Seems like I just ordered it.

IMG_9727 (resized).jpgIMG_9727 (resized).jpg
#10658 40 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Unless you are 10 foot tall, you won't be seeing anything right in front of the apron while playing.

Not while playing, but I have friends, and family who like to play, and when they do, I'll stand on the side of my game to watch. (Especially when my niece and nephew play.) .. I will see it then.

#10659 39 days ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not while playing, but I have friends, and family who like to play, and when they do, I'll stand on the side of my game to watch. (Especially when my niece and nephew play.) .. I will see it then.

Well, I can't argue with that. Well, I could but it sounds like I would not get very far

Keep your fingers on those flipper buttons

#10660 39 days ago

anyone have one of the seawitch ball deflectors they aren't using? need one for work. ball constantly getting stuck on left plastic.

#10661 39 days ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

anyone have one of the seawitch ball deflectors they aren't using? need one for work. ball constantly getting stuck on left plastic.

I sent you a PM.

#10662 38 days ago

Getting a Stern Magic up and going, it has the barakandl MPU, otherwise original.
When it boots up, p1-4 show 00 and the credits show 10, then when it shows last high score the credits window changes to 6, and then back. However it seems to always credit 10. I can press "credit/start" 4 times, power off game, power back on and the credit window is back to 10. However, we did flip dip switch 20 per manual However, that shows credits and is free play. If that is off, then no credits show. wondering what may be going on..... Game is configured correctly for MPU 100 and cosmic princess/magic.

In switch test, the switches test fine.

#10663 38 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Getting a Stern Magic up and going, it has the barakandl MPU, otherwise original.
When it boots up, p1-4 show 00 and the credits show 10, then when it shows last high score the credits window changes to 6, and then back. However it seems to always credit 10. I can press "credit/start" 4 times, power off game, power back on and the credit window is back to 10. However, we did flip dip switch 20 per manual However, that shows credits and is free play. If that is off, then no credits show. wondering what may be going on..... Game is configured correctly for MPU 100 and cosmic princess/magic.
In switch test, the switches test fine.

I'm not familiar with the barakandl MPU....is there a "clear NVRAM" or similar function? When I've come across similar behavior on Allteks, clearing the Alltek memory (setting a dipswitch to the "Clear" value, powering on then off, then returning the dipswitch to the previous setting) usually works for me.

#10664 38 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

I'm not familiar with the barakandl MPU....is there a "clear NVRAM" or similar function? When I've come across similar behavior on Allteks, clearing the Alltek memory (setting a dipswitch to the "Clear" value, powering on then off, then returning the dipswitch to the previous setting) usually works for me.

I did click the "reset" button, which rebooted the mpu. I also thought something similar as sys1 gottliebs do some weird things when the ram needs to be reset.

#10665 38 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I did click the "reset" button, which rebooted the mpu. I also thought something similar as sys1 gottliebs do some weird things when the ram needs to be reset.

Resetting the MPU and clearing the memory are two different things. I looked up the board - see the switch settings below to clear the memory. Here's a link to the full PDF:

https://nvram.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/2/5/54255141/bally.combo.2023.12.03.pdf

b-mpu (resized).jpgb-mpu (resized).jpg
#10666 38 days ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Resetting the MPU and clearing the memory are two different things. I looked up the board - see the switch settings below to clear the memory. Here's a link to the full PDF:
https://nvram.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/2/5/54255141/bally.combo.2023.12.03.pdf[quoted image]

I saw that on the site and it mentioned mpu200 but i'll try it for this as well.

#10667 38 days ago

All bally or stern games do not do a checksum of ram so corruption can always occur and should be cleared when changing games.

You can do it with the clear rom or use the built in audits in each game to clear each audit location.

#10668 38 days ago

Stepping through every audit and clearing them back to zero should be good enough to reset the memory for every game except the buggy version of Meteor (sound problems) which no one should be using anymore.

There is a couple early MPU200 games that don't program the sound RAM until you finish a game/ball. The first game played on Ali with new RAM the bell sound is usually bugged out. Once you finish the first game it fixes itself.

#10669 38 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

When it boots up, p1-4 show 00 and the credits show 10

You're running my Magic code.

On power up if the credits are zero in freeplay mode, the code will auto stuff a value in there and this value is configurable between 0 and 15 (10 is the default). It's the last option in the software settings at the end of the audits.

In freeplay mode there is an option to do the typical subtract one credit per player when you start. Or it can be optioned to clear the credit display so it's blank when you start a new game. Any credits you earn then get displayed normally. In freeplay you will never see the number zero in the credit display. I personally use this option because sometimes I like to see how many credits I can earn in a game - this value is even shown in the credit display as a 'highest credits to date" when the highest scores are shown.

On barakandl web site scroll down to the "Magic 2021-10-30" custom ROM document for details about configuration and other enhancements.
https://nvram.weebly.com/custom-rom-info.html

Any questions, just ask.

#10670 38 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

You're running my Magic code.
On power up if the credits are zero in freeplay mode, the code will auto stuff a value in there and this value is configurable between 0 and 15 (10 is the default). It's the last option in the software settings at the end of the audits.
In freeplay mode there is an option to do the typical subtract one credit per player when you start. Or it can be optioned to clear the credit display so it's blank when you start a new game. Any credits you earn then get displayed normally. In freeplay you will never see the number zero in the credit display. I personally use this option because sometimes I like to see how many credits I can earn in a game - this value is even shown in the credit display as a 'highest credits to date" when the highest scores are shown.
On barakandl web site scroll down to the "Magic 2021-10-30" custom ROM document for details about configuration and other enhancements.
https://nvram.weebly.com/custom-rom-info.html
Any questions, just ask.

I JUSR REALIZED THIS! Hahah. I did grabbed and have him burn your code on. So turn off dip 20 and it should be fine?

#10671 37 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So turn off dip 20 and it should be fine?

If you just want the credit display disabled, that will do it.

#10672 32 days ago

Hey Classic Stern fans. I need a OEM coin box for my current project. Anybody have a decent one to spare? DM me with a price.

#10673 32 days ago

Firing up my rebuilt boards for my Dragonfist and testing voltages along the way…

Transformer set up for 120v (getting 121.7 incoming).

Rectifier board voltages in spec except for unregulated 12 vdc measures 14.6 volts with SDB unplugged and then 15.0 vdc w SDB. Is this too high?

TP3 on driver is 5.33v

Is it ok to plug in the MPU?

#10674 32 days ago

The 5v is technically too high, but its probably fine after the voltage drop across the plugs. Looking over the datasheets of the parts I am using on the replacement MPU, the oscillators is the only one I see right away with an absolute max of 5.25vdc.

If you want to bring the voltage down, remove the cheats bally does to pump up the 5v regulator output. Cut out SDB R49 is the easiest thing to do. Jumper over R50 is the other one. The voltage will probably be closer to 5v if you do that.

The 12v will read ~15vdc when the driver board is in circuit, so that is normal.

#10675 32 days ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The 5v is technically too high, but its probably fine after the voltage drop across the plugs. Looking over the datasheets of the parts I am using on the replacement MPU, the oscillators is the only one I see right away with an absolute max of 5.25vdc.
If you want to bring the voltage down, remove the cheats bally does to pump up the 5v regulator output. Cut out SDB R49 is the easiest thing to do. Jumper over R50 is the other one. The voltage will probably be closer to 5v if you do that.
The 12v will read ~15vdc when the driver board is in circuit, so that is normal.

Thank you Andrew. Your MPU is real nice and I didn’t want to blow it up. Has a lot of optional features built-in, very cool.

This is the version SDB I’m using (Rev. C). Should I do both, snip out R49 and jumper R50?

IMG_2365 (resized).jpegIMG_2365 (resized).jpeg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#10676 31 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

This is the version SDB I’m using (Rev. C). Should I do both, snip out R49 and jumper R50?

Here is some homework for you on how to calculate the output voltage. Note the specification for uA78H05 5V voltage regulator is that its output can be between 4.85V and 5.25V depending on the characteristics of your part. The formula assumes a 5.0V part.

Note, Stern and Bally use a different resistor value for R50 - hence Stern solenoid driver boards output a slightly higher voltage on the 5V supply rail.

LM323_Voltage_Adjust (resized).pngLM323_Voltage_Adjust (resized).png
uA78H05_Voltage_Spec (resized).pnguA78H05_Voltage_Spec (resized).png

#10677 31 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

Here is some homework for you on how to calculate the output voltage. Note the specification for uA78H05 5V voltage regulator is that its output can be between 4.85V and 5.25V depending on the characteristics of your part. The formula assumes a 5.0V part.
Note, Stern and Bally use a different resistor value for R50 - hence Stern solenoid driver boards output a slightly higher voltage on the 5V supply rail.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Good info.
Bally = 5.11
Stern = 5.235

If you pay attention to significant figures.
Bally = 5.1
Stern = 5.2

#10678 31 days ago

Now you can measure the actual voltage output of your specific uA78H05, black meter probe on the regulators metal case, red meter probe on test point TP1 on the SDB. Sometimes resistors R49 / R50 can be a little out of spec which slightly affects the boards output voltage.

#10679 31 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hey Classic Stern fans. I need a OEM coin box for my current project. Anybody have a decent one to spare? DM me with a price.

Related question - are there any good, readily available substitutions? I've yet to bring home a classic that actually had the coin box. Putting them on location I generally just put a shoebox or something in there, which works, but would be all for having a couple better options in hand.

#10680 31 days ago

Thank you barakandl and Quench Success! SDB dc voltages-
Pre-surgery:
TP1 5.357
TP3 5.333
Regulator 5.098

Post-surgery:
TP1 5.095
TP3 5.073
Regulator 5.099

Last question (on this)- should TP1 and TP3 be connected together or not necessary?

#10681 31 days ago

Wasn't somebody on this board selling a repro Dragonfist backglass? I seem to remember reading something about one being available but can't find the post.

#10683 31 days ago

Yeah, they are great but some already had an extra one in the US. I would like to save some cash on shipping if I can.

#10684 31 days ago

Yeah, they are great but some already had an extra one in the US. I would like to save some cash on shipping if I can.

This?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/202#post-7866748

#10686 31 days ago

Buy only the film from Coos. Take a badly flaking glass (any title), scrape off the art, clean. Using rapidtac apply the film.

#10687 30 days ago
Quoted from emsrph:

Last question (on this)- should TP1 and TP3 be connected together or not necessary?

I wouldn't say they 'should' be. Installing that jumper is about providing redundancy to mask a potential connector issue with SDB J3. I presume you have rebuilt this connector as it's for a Dragonfist scratch build? Anyway adding the jumper doesn't hurt.

#10688 30 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

I wouldn't say they 'should' be. Installing that jumper is about providing redundancy to mask a potential connector issue with SDB J3. I presume you have rebuilt this connector as it's for a Dragonfist scratch build? Anyway adding the jumper doesn't hurt.

Thanks. Yes, new headers and connectors.

#10689 30 days ago

I think it was Big Al that said the TP1 and TP3 looping through the connectors was just to make some kind of cheat for a compliance requirement with the 48v with a 5a fuse being on the same board with the 5v regulator. Sending the 5v in and out of the board some how made them happy to get UL compliance or whatever it was. If the connectors are in good shape the jumper is not needed.

#10690 29 days ago

anyone has a good tip to keep wire guide that keep popping out in the PF? These do not have barb and are near the flipper or drop target so with a lot of vibration.

#10691 29 days ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

anyone has a good tip to keep wire guide that keep popping out in the PF? These do not have barb and are near the flipper or drop target so with a lot of vibration.

Epoxy

#10692 27 days ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I pack the hole with wood putty and tap it back in.

#10693 27 days ago

Anyone familiar with memory lane? Picked one up and the drops are all busted. Looks like they are bally style with a shorter ledge catch?

This is actually a fun little layout!

#10694 26 days ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Anyone familiar with memory lane? Picked one up and the drops are all busted. Looks like they are bally style with a shorter ledge catch?
This is actually a fun little layout!

Memory Lane is a tough fun pin to play.

Someone could have installed a Bally drop assembly at one time. There is a bracket that the targets catch/land on. You can turn that bracket over and then the Stern targets will work fine. The Stern targets drop more easily with the longer catch.

#10695 26 days ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Memory Lane is a tough fun pin to play.
Someone could have installed a Bally drop assembly at one time. There is a bracket that the targets catch/land on. You can turn that bracket over and then the Stern targets will work fine. The Stern targets drop more easily with the longer catch.

Ah, good call. I'm guessing they flipped the bracket to use bally drops. I cut the ridge down on some used stern ones I had on hand to get it running, but they're bricking fierce. Didn't think about flipping that bracket. I've gotta take it apart again anyway; of course the only drop that wasn't broken snapped a few games after putting it back together. Gotta get LEDs on those rollovers too, can't even tell what's lit unless the room lights are out, and even then it's tough. Might try the two headed flex ones from comet, design was clearly not made with being lit well in mind.

Also - wasn't someone selling new door trim here recently?

#10696 26 days ago

anyone have a rubber size and quantity for dragonfist and quicksilver?

#10699 25 days ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

thanks, hopefully they r accurate lol

Can always compare to the manual

D1AF8715-0F73-4521-B1DA-76DB9839041D (resized).pngD1AF8715-0F73-4521-B1DA-76DB9839041D (resized).pngEA70E31E-2F5E-4442-AD6A-52E3EE9F0EE4 (resized).pngEA70E31E-2F5E-4442-AD6A-52E3EE9F0EE4 (resized).png
#10700 24 days ago

Hey gang -

Having an annoying problem with my Stars. Left bank upon reset is having two of the three drop targets go back up, but one out of 6 or 7 times, the middle target doesn't reset. The small problem is that this instantly awards 500 points to the player. The bigger issue is it occasionally screws up the game's ball state logic and advances to the next ball if the trough kickout is slow or takes multiple attempts to kick out from the trough. Want to use this in a tournament so it's problematic.

Any ideas? Not sure what to do about the ledge if that is the issue.

Thanks

Mike

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orchard Lake Village, MI
$ 959.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 169.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 169.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 214 of 216.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/214 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.