Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,115 posts
  • 308 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by greenhornet
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PHOF inspired meme (resized).png
    20240513_111136 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2229 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_8173750_0 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3302 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3301 (resized).jpeg
    20240511_103926 (resized).jpg
    20240511_103744 (resized).jpg
    20240511_105322 (resized).jpg
    441283112_487851433566649_6353060332563685043_n (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2135 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2139 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    20240315_112455 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #40 Response from Tim Posted by timarnold (8 months ago)

Post #1836 Tim posted a thread about this past year's finances at the PHoF Posted by ForceFlow (87 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#375 7 months ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Probably some good thoughts but most people won’t read such a long reply! Like watching a thousand names scroll by waiting to see if your name is there!

Its all good, and I will say that I am very appreciative of Clay in particular, when I bought my first pinball (EM) I knew jack squat, and the primary source of my learning was from his videos and his incredible web pages. Sharing all of that knowledge meant the world to me. Clay if I ever get to meet you I would like to shake your hand and personally thank you for all of that. I studied all of that (and still do) and then took it and went through my EMs inside and out until I finally understand how they worked and how to maintain and repair them.

As far as PHOF, all I can say is that its all I can do to keep these 3 mf-ers in good working condition, it seems like every time I have a small handful of people over one or two will go down in a matter of minutes, despite the fact I played them for hours prior and they worked great! I can't even begin to imagine keeping hundreds of the damn things going when any random person from the public can walk in 12 hours a day and start pounding on them.

BV-MC-SS (resized).jpgBV-MC-SS (resized).jpg

#496 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The main aisle and the Stern old trade show display area brings in the majority of pin play/coin drop. That's why priority is given to keeping those games up and running.
    The kiddie cranes and T-shit sales make up the rest. Even when most of the EM's were up and running, T-shirt sales made more.

I always enjoyed this post from Tim Arnold in one of the many other Pinside threads about this same topic.

I would like to remind everyone that the ONLY reason we can devote a large amount of our expensive floor space to QUARTER EM GAMES is because the merch and toys pull the weight of the money losing EM's. A compromise, sure! But one that taxes the STUPID (crane players) and rewards the SMART. (value menu EM players)

#506 7 months ago

In the past there was a pretty good row of well maintained pinball machines at New York New York. There was also a pretty good pinball arcade that was running in the downtown area. I believe those are now gone, didn’t make it.

#509 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Flipperspiel Underground was unable to remain viable, with a lower cost space. Luxor was a higher rent space, charged appropriately, but still closed up shop. Haven't been to the New York- New York Midway/Arcade in ten years.
    I wonder how much arcade liability insurance runs? Rememver, this is a 24/7 Alcohol serving county. Plus the business license.

Just beat me to the punch

#583 7 months ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

No place can be the cheapest on everything. I believe that you're from Michigan. For example, housing is "reasonable" (whatever that means today), but property taxes are off the charts. You can't win.

Housing is reasonable here, and the property taxes and income taxes are low.

But in the summertime you'll be like

burning (resized).jpgburning (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #758 6 months ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

Hmmmmmm, haven't seen it. Any good?
    Michael Douglas is a great actor.

What the...??? Haven't seen it?? Is it any good?? Come on man, it's an all time classic. It's a bit difficult to categorize. Sure it's some kind of drama, but its also funnier than shit. Michael Douglas is great and nails it. Watch it !! The hamburger joint scene alone is worth it.

#771 6 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m a property maintenance manager and I look after 25 buildings. I always say that cleaning toilets is not a maintenance issue until it becomes so bad that it becomes one.

I was curious about this and couldn't find any specific details about what the typical cost would be to pay someone like you to regularly come in and clean/service/maintain the restrooms. Given the pics of the size of the PHOF, what would be a typical price range to pay someone else to come in (daily?) and keep it all clean and operational?

Of course I understand if you don't want to disclose that information, its part of the business. That's why when you search out companies that do this you don't see pricing, you have to contact them to get it. Also, I get that it will vary depending on size of the restrooms, the traffic, and such variables.

Whatever it might be, I'm guessing it will be viewed in relation to the amount of quarters it takes up every day, and cast aside because of that.

I happened to be at a sports bar just yesterday for a beer and some snacks ,and when I went in the men's room it was nice to see that it was in fact very clean and tidy. A solid 8 or 9 out of 10. It definitely gives you confidence in patronizing the restaurant when you see this, versus a mess in there.

3 weeks later
    #1193 6 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Records don’t show income you skim out of the cash box. That’s why arcades and slots were attractive. No per use expenses to highlight missing revenue.
    But unless tim secretly likes to swim in quarters… or buried in gold…it seems highly unlikely.

That’s what I was thinking. It’s sorta like those guys not long ago that stole 2 million dimes from the armored truck. It’s a nice haul, but as far as actually being able to spend it there would seem to be a logistics problem there.

3 weeks later
    #1328 5 months ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm going tomorrow....does anyone have any requests regarding pins?

Just a note on two I enjoyed playing last time I was there a few years ago. The Firepower with the drop target mod, and the Canada Dry which I thought was pretty cool looking.

#1337 5 months ago

It may seem odd, but the idea that the urinals are not working bothers me more than all of the pinball machines not working.

I guess it's because I would expect that you could pay for brand new urinals, and they should be able to work. And if not, should be able to be somewhat easily fixed. A bunch of old pinball machines? Well, heck yeah that shit's gonna break down. And sometimes it's not so easy to get them going again.

1 month later
    #1419 4 months ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I was under the impression that Tim and Clay were not no speaking terms. I guess I was wrong.

Search this thread for posts by member cfh, Clay posted a lot of interesting info about that and other things also.

Now, who’s old enough to remember this classic?

IMG_0618 (resized).jpegIMG_0618 (resized).jpeg

#1490 4 months ago
    Quoted from vec-tor:

I assume this situation also happened with the volunteers from the Banning Pinball Museum.

I don’t think Banning was anything like that, just the opposite probably. From what I read, volunteers would go there in teams and enjoyed doing it. Maybe they got free pizza? I never volunteered, but I went there lots of times to the open events, and every time I hadan absolute blast. I played pinball until by eyes bled and my brain fried. I was lucky to be able to play so many different ones from many eras. ( no wood rails there though).

Were there broken down machines out of the 500 or so that were there? Sure. Sometimes a number of them. But there were more than enough working ones to enjoy. The whole place was neat as a pin. Just pinball machines, front and back and side to side.

Of course Banning was a totally different operation. Closed to the public almost all the time. Events were paid admission and everything on free play, no quarters and all that. I probably went around a dozen times, but I wish I had gone more often. I took it for granted I could pop over there several times a year. Then poof it was gone.

#1553 3 months ago
    Quoted from puristish:

One of my strengths is asking stupid questions. I’m going to lean into my strengths:
    WTF is the PHOF doing hoarding rubber chickens and plushies?

Refer to this quote from Tim earlier in this thread:

I would like to remind everyone that the ONLY reason we can devote a large amount of our expensive floor space to QUARTER EM GAMES is because the merch and toys pull the weight of the money losing EM's. A compromise, sure! But one that taxes the STUPID (crane players) and rewards the SMART. (value menu EM players)

Quoted from MrBally:

I know I wouldn't want t climb up any stairs to get machines, parts, supplies etc. Those rubber chickens are in 30# bundles. The plastic pellets for the Mold-A-Ramas are in 40# bags. All of it would have to get up there first.
    Oh, why not a $200k freight elevator since it isn’t our money?

Does the Moldarama get a lot of action? Last time we were there we got the Donald Duck from it. I ended up selling it on eBay and got my money back

2 months later
    #2041 46 days ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Jesus. Enough already.
    Find something else to bitch about. My fucking god.

What’s great about this thread is that it is now over 2000 posts. But you could go back through them all and take a selection of about 5 different ones that say everything that keeps getting repeated over and over. 2000 times

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-hall-of-fame-is-a-joke-?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.