pasted_image (resized).png
student-loan-meme-1- (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4488 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpg
grem (resized).jpg
There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 40 days ago
Quoted from JToeps:

just found this thread and catching up but I wanted to share one secret for anyone with little ones in the house.
--> I kept my Calvin and Hobbes books in their room, JUST out of reach.
I didn't mention them. Didn't force them. Just left them up there, dangling precariously on a shelf. That, plus the "501 facts about pokemon" book I bought our neuro-divergent eldest turned them into lifelong readers.

If only that would have worked for my kid! The only book I've noticed in his room lately is "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" which I suspect he leaves out to create the illusion he's actually still reading. The book is like 80 pages, he's had it for 6 months

#302 38 days ago

By all rights I ought to need to devour this thread, but my kid (21) surprised me by up and moving to Minneapolis to live with her friends who had already done so. So far so good...

#303 36 days ago
Quoted from canea:

We have a 20 year old in college doing very well and a 16 year old boy who's a typical 16 year old boy. Mostly we've let them grow up doing what they want and find their own way, discouraging bad behavior when necessary. We pay for their endeavors when we can (as opposed to making them pay for everything, like schooling for example) because its a great way to transfer wealth to them now as opposed to later, and pay it forward.
One thing that has changed in the last generation is that boys (in particular) don't care as much about the opposite sex as they used to. They've got video games and pron and culture has pretty much taught them that women are a big pain in the ass (re:Barbie) so they're just not as interested. I think this trend has been documented in Japan as well among young men. There's just not as much drive (plenty of conspiracy theories as to why that is) to get out there and do things in a world that seems much more ambivalent to their actions than it did during the last generation. So, overcoming that feeling of apathy (or pretending like you have) is likely a big part of becoming a successful adult for boys.
Just a recent example of that last bit, my son recently had a young lady ask him to prom. He told her, "I'll think about it." I was flabbergasted by that. Are you kidding me?

I think a lot of young men of more recent generations have the idea that no young woman could possibly be interested in them and that any evidence to the contrary is either a misunderstanding or a weird trick.

#304 31 days ago

Step Brothers is streaming on Netflix if you need motivation.

There are 304 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/parenting-help-failure-to-launch-preventing-kids-at-home-in-their-20s/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.