IMG_3519 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3526 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8718 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8629 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8628 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8627 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 259 of 261.
#12901 67 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What fans did you go with, and from where? Thanks again

Search Pinside for DIY Flipper Fans. You can built a set for less than $20. Super easy.

#12902 67 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What fans did you go with, and from where? Thanks again

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I bought these:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec/06825-extended-play-coil-coolers-jjp-the-hobbit
EXTREMELY easy to install and work well.
Im very happy with them.
None of the regular FADE on my longer games

I went with these same fans from pinside.

#12903 65 days ago

Got my Smaug and I already have problems. The lightning sometimes froze. When I restart the pinball machine everything is ok again. But after some times it happens again. I already try to unplug and plug in the mini usb connector but that doesn’t help? Any idea ?

Thanks

#12904 65 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Got my Smaug and I already have problems. The lightning sometimes froze. When I restart the pinball machine everything is ok again. But after some times it happens again. I already try to unplug and plug in the mini usb connector but that doesn’t help? Any idea ?
Thanks

Move around the big cable hoses a bit and see if it improves.

Might be a loose ground.

Could be a bag board issue? reseat the connections to it?

On my WOZ the lights always used to be intermittent.

I replaced the big bundles of wal-nuts for the lev-r-lock style and now its stable.

#12905 65 days ago

Custom topper.

IMG_8406 (resized).jpegIMG_8406 (resized).jpeg
#12906 65 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Thanks

Freezing lights is a sign of a fried BAG board from the servo for Smaug's mouth not being properly calibrated. He crushes his teeth and pulls a bunch of amps all the time when that happens creating a ton of heat on the BAG board that then cooks.

Go into his settings and make sure he isn't over driving the jaw in the closed or open position. After that I'm going to guess you are going to need a new BAG board.

#12907 64 days ago

Ok, I will check . What is a bag board ? Maybe you have a picture or a link ?

Thank you

#12908 64 days ago

Page D-56 in the manual has a line drawing. It's hanging under the playfield.

LTG : )

#12909 63 days ago

when i go to the dragon mouth test and i press the start button, should the mouth move ? i only here the voice.

#12910 63 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

when i go to the dragon mouth test and i press the start button, should the mouth move ? i only here the voice.

Pull off the pile of gold (its only held on with 2 screws)

Examine the servo/linkage and little controller board as well as the tiny connector wires. Maybe the connector fell off or the servo arm came loose?

OFTEN the servo's are burnt up and the little board gets fried from trying to move a seized up servo if the game was routed.

Sometimes the connector also gets burned up.

In extreme cases the BAG board gets damaged (not good), its best to look at the servo parts now before something else happens.

Fortunately its easy to replace al the parts.

#12911 63 days ago

I think I found it, I had a loose contact on the Smaug board.

For the moment it works again

Thanks

#12912 63 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Yes. Should move to “I think our little game ends here”.

#12913 62 days ago

Is a wired (cat cable) internet connection with the hobbit pinball machine possible ? I tried it but then it wouldn’t boot anymore.

#12914 62 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Is a wired (cat cable) internet connection with the hobbit pinball machine possible ? I tried it but then it wouldn’t boot anymore.

Having an ethernet cable plugged into the factory ethernet port shouldn't stop it from booting. I've used both ethernet and wireless plugged into the USB dongle and mine boots fine either way. Both Beta and Production firmware releases work fine. I've always used a CAT 5E cable. I would power off your pin, and then power cycle your modem/router, then power the pin back on. If it still hangs, try fatcory resetting your modem (small hole in the back usually - use a tooth pick and hold it in until your lights start flashing). If that still fails then backup your machines settings to a thumb drive and reload the firmware to the latest version. I do recommend running Beta. Some nice enhancements were made.

#12915 62 days ago

Thanks. Will try it

#12916 62 days ago

I plug in the network cable after booting and then it works. I download new beta6 and after reboot it hangs again. If I unplug the network cable everything’s fine again. Any idea ?

#12917 62 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I plug in the network cable after booting and then it works. I download new beta6 and after reboot it hangs again. If I unplug the network cable everything’s fine again. Any idea ?

CMOS on the mainboard is set to boot from network as the first device.

The SSD drive should be the first boot device in the CMOS

#12918 62 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Having an ethernet cable plugged into the factory ethernet port shouldn't stop it from booting. I've used both ethernet and wireless plugged into the USB dongle and mine boots fine either way. Both Beta and Production firmware releases work fine. I've always used a CAT 5E cable. I would power off your pin, and then power cycle your modem/router, then power the pin back on. If it still hangs, try fatcory resetting your modem (small hole in the back usually - use a tooth pick and hold it in until your lights start flashing). If that still fails then backup your machines settings to a thumb drive and reload the firmware to the latest version. I do recommend running Beta. Some nice enhancements were made.

Where do you get the beta code? 3.12 looks like the last jjp has on the website?

#12919 62 days ago

CMOS on the mainboard is set to boot from network as the first device.
The SSD drive should be the first boot device in the CMOS

I need a password to enter the bios

Anyone knows it ?

Thanks

#12920 62 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Anyone knows it ?

Search Pinside for "bios password". It's all over the jjp threads.

LTG : )

#12921 62 days ago

Ok found it, that’s what it looks like. Network isn’t on first position, so any other ideas ?

IMG_8381 (resized).jpegIMG_8381 (resized).jpeg
#12922 62 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Ok found it, that’s what it looks like. Network isn’t on first position, so any other ideas ?[quoted image]

How long have you waited for it to boot with the network cable plugged in?

Try disabling the network boot? Maybe?

Sometimes the computer just needs to give up on it and then go to the boot drive?

Is there more than one place to plug in the ethernet? There should only be one place in the back of the computer.

On a regular PC, plugging in a ethernet cable generally wont stop it from booting.

I havent tried to use ethernet on my game, I just added the wifi dongle, so Im just guessing at this point.

#12923 62 days ago

it won’t change , doesn’t matter how long I will wait

Here you can see it

#12924 62 days ago

The game is booting.

Its just not booting the hard disk.

It looks like its trying to boot from the network.

Maybe move the UEFI network down to the bottom with the other network setting or disable them if its possible.

The game should boot the dongle, then the hard disk but nothing else.

Its certainly an odd problem.

I guess its possible that the hard disk is taking a while to show up and is getting skipped?

Removing the network cable makes the computer poll the drives until the SSD is found.

Maybe a loose SSD cable or connection?

Maybe re-seat the SSD cables on the drive and/or on the mainboard, or replace the SATA data cable to the SSD? Might just need refreshing.

(just thinking aloud here)

#12925 61 days ago

i try different things, but didnt work:

disable network from the boot option
reinstall the software.

if i unplug cable or disable network in the bios everythings fine. Maybe others that have it running can take a look at the bios settings ?

#12926 61 days ago

Faulty SSD?

#12927 61 days ago

it is running when network is disabled, so how could the ssd have a problem ?

#12928 61 days ago

Fair enough. Very odd. I would check and reseat all connections in the backbox.

#12929 61 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

it won’t change , doesn’t matter how long I will wait
Here you can see it

I have experienced this as well, but I believe it was on a different JJP. I didn't do any investigating, just unplugged the ethernet cable until after boot and all was good.

#12930 61 days ago

Is it possible to change the volume control for the headphone on the coin door to the main speakers ?

#12931 61 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Is it possible to change the volume control for the headphone on the coin door to the main speakers ?

I bought the pinnovators external volume control.

Its super easy to install and I really like it.

I bought the coin door one, but they also sell a reject button version now.

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/mech-mac-master-audio-control-for-american-jjp-stern-sam-spike-kit?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=0c65b9d63&pr_rec_pid=6706583634029&pr_ref_pid=4059478982765&pr_seq=uniform

This is the one I bought:

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/jjp-mac-master-audio-control-panel?_pos=5&_sid=c459ebf97&_ss=r

I actually have one of these on all of my games as I use headphones.

#12932 61 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

it is running when network is disabled, so how could the ssd have a problem ?

If the game runs with network disabled, what problems does this cause?

#12933 61 days ago

If the game runs with network disabled, what problems does this cause?

None, except no internet connection. Which means no scorbit and no update Information

#12934 61 days ago

I bought the pinnovators external volume control.
Its super easy to install and I really like it.
I bought the coin door one, but they also sell a reject button version now.
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/mech-mac-master-audio-control-for-american-jjp-stern-sam-spike-kit?pr_prod_strat=e5_desc&pr_rec_id=0c65b9d63&pr_rec_pid=6706583634029&pr_ref_pid=4059478982765&pr_seq=uniform
This is the one I bought:
https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/products/jjp-mac-master-audio-control-panel?_pos=5&_sid=c459ebf97&_ss=r
I actually have one of these on all of my games as I use headphones.

Ah, thanks for this info as well. The Hobbit I recently purchased has these and I didn’t know who the source was.

#12935 61 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

None, except no internet connection. Which means no scorbit and no update Information

I think it has something to do with the PC not seeing the SSD fast enough.

If the PC cant see the drive then it goes onto trying to boot from the network.

It could be the length of the wires to it, or loose connectors.

If it were me, I would get shorter wires to the SSD and see if it works properly.

My SSD is all the way in the front of the game. The wires seem long to me.

Does your game have the original SSD in it?

If so, then it just might be getting slow to boot, if not, it might just be wire length.

#12936 60 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

You can install a Wifi dongle on Hobbit.

#12937 59 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

I would try a USB network dongle.

Get one that doesnt need windows drivers.

#12938 59 days ago

Just unplug the network cable... Scorebit has been gone for a long time now and is never coming back. You can install any updates via USB.

#12939 59 days ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Just unplug the network cable... Scorebit has been gone for a long time now and is never coming back. You can install any updates via USB.

As long as you are running JJP code with Scorbit support, you can reach out to Scorbit and get put on one of their old servers where the connectivity still works.

#12940 59 days ago
Quoted from BozoTheClown:

As long as you are running JJP code with Scorbit support, you can reach out to Scorbit and get put on one of their old servers where the connectivity still works.

But why? It adds nothing at this point. The horse is beyond dead.

#12941 59 days ago

Yup. Pretty cool.

#12942 59 days ago

Im actively trying to remove the Scorbit BS...

It was fun for a game or 2 then just silly...

#12943 58 days ago

I was just putting it out there as an option. Most people don't realize that Scorbit has continued to offer their service to JJP owners that specifically ask. Use it or don't, I have no skin in the game.

#12944 54 days ago

Put me down as happy with the capacitor upgrade did it myself with links in this thread and 3d files awesome community

#12945 52 days ago

After all these years of owning this machine I don't think I've ever heard, "I will have war". Granted, I shamefully admit I went through a phase when I didn't touch it for a couple years and I've only made BOTFA less than a couple handful of times and I've choked every single time (never beating the mode). Does this audio clip exist?

I understand why they likely don't offer a way to add/alter audio clips, but I wish JJP either provided an app or simply enabled SSH capability. Several dwarves had so few lines in the standard cut of the movie so I understand why the dwarve audio clips are few and repetitive. More material to pull from using the extended version of the movies. It's not like the hard drive doesn't have enough space to handle the additional stuff.

Has anyone added lube or dielectric grease to the beast mech rails? Certainly it would reduce noise and the drag of metal on metal. They really are noisy as is.

I am enjoying the Beta 9 though, giving thanks and kudos when and where due!

#12946 52 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

After all these years of owning this machine I don't think I've ever heard, "I will have war". Granted, I shamefully admit I went through a phase when I didn't touch it for a couple years and I've only made BOTFA less than a couple handful of times and I've choked every single time (never beating the mode). Does this audio clip exist?

I understand why they likely don't offer a way to add/alter audio clips, but I wish JJP either provided an app or simply enabled SSH capability. Several dwarves had so few lines in the standard cut of the movie so I understand why the dwarve audio clips are few and repetitive. More material to pull from using the extended version of the movies. It's not like the hard drive doesn't have enough space to handle the additional stuff.

Has anyone added lube or dielectric grease to the beast mech rails? Certainly it would reduce noise and the drag of metal on metal. They really are noisy as is.

There’s a beta code for hobbit? What does it have that currently isn’t in the game?

#12947 52 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I use silicone grease like sil-glyde or super lube, on all rubbing metal.

Its good stuff and doesnt dry out or get gummed up.

I also use Teflon oil on the spinner wires (just the tiniest drop here)
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Viscosity-Teflon-Precision/dp/B009M3H4I2/ref=sr_1_1

Get to Erebor in one hit as the spinners will spin like crazy!

Thanks for the AI powered vocal remover tip!

#12948 52 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

There’s a beta code for hobbit? What does it have that currently isn’t in the game?

Yep! Info found here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-open-beta-program

I use silicone grease like sil-glyde or super lube, on all rubbing metal.
Its good stuff and doesnt dry out or get gummed up.
I also use Teflon oil on the spinner wires (just the tiniest drop here)
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Viscosity-Teflon-Precision/dp/B009M3H4I2/ref=sr_1_1
Get to Erebor in one hit as the spinners will spin like crazy!
Thanks for the AI powered vocal remover tip!

You're welcome. Had I not been bankrupted by 2 bathroom remodels I'd have a pinsound making the best audio packages ever. Feel free to take the torch and run with it.
I do have a tube of lube (Dr. Suess right there). It's in a gray tube, think I got it from pinballlife ... I did add that to all my spinners. Hell yes Erebor more easily reached!

#12949 52 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

A lot

#12950 51 days ago

So I had to buy a replacement bracket for the ELF targets because that little black piece that holds one of the drop targets up broke and it’s riveted. Is swapping the components to the new bracket straight forward?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

8,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 259 of 261.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/259 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.