(Topic ID: 354003)

Dutch Pinball Alice in Wonderland HYPE thread

By Haymaker

32 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

74VE.gif
    1_GI-td9gs8D5OKZd19mAOqA (resized).png
    Persian_Cat_Room_Guardian_meme_banner (resized).jpg
    WaitWHAT-meme-10 (resized).jpg
    pinside.3c1d98255b068c34232992d35157dbe8255564a5 (1) (resized).jpg
    pinside.3c1d98255b068c34232992d35157dbe8255564a5 (resized).jpg
    wh (resized).jpg
    agnes-agatha-harkness.gif
    aiw (resized).jpg
    IMG_6349.jpeg
    IMG_6348.gif
    3D3DF2DD-C3A5-4698-B291-05D3682E9EE3 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0389 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0397 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_629.png
    pinside.0aa1600fe541ecaab8b68a85b2e972bf6e5c4ea2~2.jpeg
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 32 days ago

With Dutch on the verge of announcing their version of the JPOP Alice in Wonderland game, maybe as soon as today or tomorrow, we've now got a thread to discuss any and all thoughts. Should this game be made? Will it be as awesome as the jpop foamcore version looked? Whats going on with the art? We'll find out soon!

Pinside_archive_2392_1568650 (resized).jpgPinside_archive_2392_1568650 (resized).jpg
    #2 32 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

With Dutch on the verge of announcing their version of the JPOP Alice in Wonderland game, maybe as soon as today or tomorrow, we've now got a thread to discuss any and all thoughts. Should this game be made? Will it be as awesome as the jpop foamcore version looked? Whats going on with the art? We'll find out soon![quoted image]

JPOP slop should just fade away. Too many chances, and too many capable designers who AREN’T scam artists to keep going with Jpoop.

Why doesn’t someone hire Jon Norris?!?

#4 32 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

JPOP slop should just fade away. Too many chances, and too many capable designers who AREN’T scam artists to keep going with Jpoop.

He's at least doing some recent consulting with Turner Pinball

#5 32 days ago
    3f1 (resized).png3f1 (resized).png
    #6 32 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I agree...not sure how much involvement, if any, he will have in this project other than it being based on his mock up

#7 32 days ago

How do you know today or tomorrow?

#8 32 days ago

I thought BTTF was next?

#9 32 days ago
    Quoted from ZombiePartie:

How do you know today or tomorrow?

Kaneda

Quoted from MacGruber:

I thought BTTF was next?

From what I understand this will be a new sort of sub-brand for Dutch. Maybe just for very special limited releases. BTTF will be the next official Dutch game, but they will be building this in the meantime it seems.

#10 32 days ago

I feel like I am looking at one of those ai pinball machines that don't make any sense.

#11 32 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Kaneda

From what I understand this will be a new sort of sub-brand for Dutch. Maybe just for very special limited releases. BTTF will be the next official Dutch game, but they will be building this in the meantime it seems.

Jesus Christ they do one run of games in eight years and they think they're ready do juggle multiple titles?

#12 32 days ago

Let's not forget it looks great because ZY did the art.

#13 32 days ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Let's not forget it looks great because ZY did the art.

100%. I think Brian Allen is finishing/coloring it for this version. Not sure how I feel about that yet....Nothing against Brian at all, I am a big fan of his artwork, but its just kind of weird to take over another artists vision. Zombie Yeti was approached about finishing his work on the game and he was not interested in doing it (If Stern would have even allowed it is another question). I can't say I blame Jeremy one bit for not wanting to take part in it.

#14 32 days ago

Oh cool. Alice in Wonderland! Maybe that will pave the way for Bambi, Cinderella and The Little Mermaid.

#15 32 days ago

Investing in this thread early.

#16 32 days ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Oh cool. Alice in Wonderland! Maybe that will pave the way for Bambi, Cinderella and The Little Mermaid.

You have to think what are other impactful fantasy themes, I think only Cinderella in that list has impact but seems like a boring theme. Peter Pan, maybe Pinocchio, obv ones like Harry Potter but at this stage I think most major fantasy themes have been done. Time for rehashes? We will likely start seeing new games to themes that already have games.

#17 32 days ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

AIW isn't exclusively a Disney property. It's actually quite a mature theme if you can get past what Disney did and liberties have been taken with other AIW projects.

Could be a cool theme with lots of potential. I have no faith in Dutch though.

#18 32 days ago

Plenty of people lost money on this unfinished game by a failed designer…and now Dutch is going to make it? Very on brand. You’d think they’d try to avoid controversy on their next build after what happened with TBL.

…and then having another artist finish Yeti’s art?

The whole thing is scummy.

#19 32 days ago

Unfinished game? It was foam core. Not even a white wood. It would take years to finish this and create assets. Might as well start over

Quoted from Rarehero:

Plenty of people lost money on this unfinished game by a failed designer…and now Dutch is going to make it? Very on brand. You’d think they’d try to avoid controversy on their next build after what happened with TBL.
    …and then having another artist finish Yeti’s art?
    The whole thing is scummy.

#20 32 days ago

Will this game be made out of paper or foam?

Is Haggis sharing their customer list with DP so they know who to target?

#21 32 days ago

AIW should definitely be made. IMHO, a terrific theme for pinball. True fantasy/make believe with global recognition. Public domain IP, open to interpretation. Good Alice/whimsical or bad Alice/dark. Disney/Burton. A plethora of familiar and wacky characters. Multiple scene locations. Lots of integration potential. The end product [art and layout] may actually be far removed from JPOP and ZY earlier version.

I don't understand how anyone's opinion could be...

EAT ME (resized).pngEAT ME (resized).png
    #22 32 days ago

They’ll never top this

IMG_2532 (resized).jpegIMG_2532 (resized).jpegIMG_9499 (resized).jpegIMG_9499 (resized).jpeg
    #23 32 days ago

Ooo, gobble hole.

#24 31 days ago

Announcement 12pm EST today per Kaneda

#25 31 days ago

Looking forward to seeing this!

#26 31 days ago

Is there a link for a live announcement?

#27 31 days ago

Is Kaneda going to be announcing? lol.

#28 31 days ago
    Quoted from Pinhead_:

Is Kaneda going to be announcing? lol.

no

Quoted from matlynch91:

Is there a link for a live announcement?

I imagine it'll be on their social media

#29 31 days ago

It's just a picture of under the pf today right?

#30 31 days ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

It's just a picture of under the pf today right?

Not sure if its a teaser or a full reveal. Kaneda says "we'll see the underside today" but that doesn't quite specify if we'll see ONLY the under side or not. He was talking on his patreon about the difference between the underside of jaws and this AIW game, so that might be why he was mentioning it. I hope we see more than just a tease. Only a couple more hours until we find out for sure!

#31 31 days ago

Bumped up to 11am EST??? Thats 20 mins away!

#32 31 days ago

IMG_9822 (resized).jpegIMG_9822 (resized).jpeg

[ Press Release ]

Dutch Pinball Welcomes New Brand: DPX (Dutch Pinball Exclusive)

Herkenbosch, The Netherlands – Building on its respected presence in the pinball industry, Dutch Pinball is pleased to announce the introduction of DPX, short for Dutch Pinball Exclusive. This new sister company marks an extension of Dutch Pinball’s existing portfolio, focusing on producing limited editions of high-quality pinball machines for collectors.

Barry Driessen, founder of Dutch Pinball, in collaboration with Melvin Williams, has initiated DPX to cater to a niche market. DPX represents a commitment to the craft of pinball machine creation, combining the renowned quality of Dutch Pinball with a focus on exclusivity.

Innovation and Craftsmanship

DPX will continue to utilize the proven mechanics and electronics that fans have come to expect from The Big Lebowski™ Pinball. However, DPX aims to further refine these technologies, producing no more than 500 units of each title globally to maintain exclusivity.

Melvin Williams leads DPX’s design and engineering, bringing a fresh perspective to the development of new pinball machines. With a background in enhancing Dutch Pinball’s technologies, Melvin’s role at DPX involves pushing the boundaries of design and functionality, ensuring that each machine offers a unique experience.

Strategic Expansion

To support the launch of DPX, Dutch Pinball has acquired additional space by securing a building across the street from its current operations. This expansion doubles the production capacity, facilitating the manufacture of both DP and DPX machines more efficiently and allowing for future growth.

As DPX prepares to unveil its first title, Dutch Pinball also continues to develop its own range of machines. Further information regarding new releases under the Dutch Pinball brand will be made available towards the end of 2024.

Looking Ahead

We appreciate the ongoing support from the pinball community and are excited about the opportunities that DPX brings. This new venture allows us to explore new possibilities in pinball design and production, enhancing the collector’s experience.

For additional updates, stay tuned. We are eager to share the next chapter in our journey with you.

Barry Driessen & Melvin Brouwer-Williams

Dutch Pinball Exclusive

#33 31 days ago

Just a guess, but this is going to cost a shit-ton!

Quick scan of the underbelly -- looks to correlate to JPOP's foam core.

#34 31 days ago

So who is smart enough to give us insight on the playfield based on that image?

#35 31 days ago

Now guess the price......

#36 31 days ago

Well at least it's real.

#37 31 days ago
    Quoted from Pinhead_:

Well at least it's real.

"It's just made of foam-core..... it's years away!!!"

HAHAHHAHAHAAH

#38 31 days ago

DPX? Huh. It's like Toyota announcing they are making luxury edition vehicles called Lexus. That's kinda crazy because I already felt like DP was in the higher end of pinball manufacturing.

I'm excited to see what's next because I love my TBL so much, but I'm also not expecting to be able to afford it anymore lol.

#39 31 days ago

I didn't know Dutch was flush like that just to pop over and open a custom shop.

#40 31 days ago

Yawn.

#41 31 days ago

Whatever they need to do in order to complete a game in less than 10 years is good news.

#42 31 days ago

Just an fyi, the left and right edge design of the backglass in the OP does match the pattern in the pic that Dutch posted.

Doesn't mean it's not AiW, but it does mean it's probably not that one posted at the top.

EDIT: I originally wrote the above and on page two you will see that I am dead wrong. This is AiW. Proof next page over.

#43 31 days ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

DPX? Huh. It's like Toyota announcing they are making luxury edition vehicles called Lexus. That's kinda crazy because I already felt like DP was in the higher end of pinball manufacturing.
    I'm excited to see what's next because I love my TBL so much, but I'm also not expecting to be able to afford it anymore lol.

Might be a lack of faith Alice will go over well, put it in a sub brand. So 500 unit run of Alice. When people aren't buying games based on designers without a sordid track record, we'll see with this one. The "hype" so far here, is tepid.

I can't really make out anything about the underside, other than the pop bumper cluster above the shooter lane is there. Hopefully we get a fun dynamic of plunging it, then seeing it come right back.

#44 31 days ago

Lewis Carroll has a bit of a sordid track record too. People are still debating the nature of his relationship with Alice and her sisters.

#45 31 days ago

Cool. Looks like some motors over the outlanes (maybe spinning ball save discs like RAZA?) and a magnet over one of them. Big subway system. Magnet in the back (diverter?) and a flipper mech (diverter?). Three pop cluster. I see a single drop mech up the center. Not so sure about some other stuff

#46 31 days ago

Lexus announces Lexus+!

#47 31 days ago

Just an fyi, the left and right edge design of the backglass in the OP does match the pattern in the pic that Dutch posted.
    Doesn't mean it's not AiW, but it does mean it's probably not that one posted at the top.

As is standard with going from foamcore/original sketch/whitewood, ect some changes will have to be made in the real world. I imagine with a JPOP design these changes are much bigger than usual. I don't really know what to expect, but I bet it will be quite similar to the foam core, at least as much as possible within the confines of being an actual fun and functioning pinball machine in the real world. You know, the hard part of designing that JPOP didn't really like to do...

#48 31 days ago

I'm a little out of the loop here

So we are doing Jpop again?

This seems like a good idea?

#49 31 days ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

As is standard with going from foamcore/original sketch/whitewood, ect some changes will have to be made in the real world. I imagine with a JPOP design these changes are much bigger than usual. I don't really know what to expect, but I expect it to quite similar to the foam core as much as possible within the confines of being an actual fun and functioning pinball machine in the real world. You know, the hard part of designing that JPOP didn't really like to do...

yeah looking back at it, I do see some similarities. Pops next to a scoop. Drop up the center. Too blurry to make out much more. They seemed to scrap the center ball save post though

#50 31 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm a little out of the loop here
    So we are doing Jpop again?
    This seems like a good idea?

at least they finished designing it before announcing it

only took what...10 years from the start of the design?

There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dutch-pinball-alice-in-wonderland-hype-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.