Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,565 posts
  • 234 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by DumbAss
  • Topic is favorited by 440 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

boards_360.jpg
    boards_359.jpg
    DSCF3080 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1440 (resized).jpeg
    boards_358.jpg
    IMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg
    02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg
    01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg
    00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg
    boards_357.jpg
    boards_356.jpg
    s11_cpu_c58.jpg
    IMG_2252 (resized).jpg
    20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0859 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,565 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 32.
    #1501 47 days ago

I’ll brave a post in the smartest thread on Pinside

Acid core solder will eat aluminum.

The acid core residue is corrosive and needs to be cleaned off.

The acid core solder is useful for joining surfaces that need oxidation cleaned off first.

Obviously not useful for working with new PCBs.

Maybe the solder doesn’t need to be removed, though, as long as no residue is left behind? Seems like the damage would already be done if there was aluminum present.

#1502 47 days ago

I would heat up those old solder joints and solder sucker the hell out of them first. Remove all the parts you have put on and clean the solder off them too. Then clean the board with above recommended solutions. Clean off the tip of your soldering iron or replace it. Then try again with electronics compatible solder.

#1503 46 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

That is pretty cool that United did that! Congrats! Where do you fly?

I regularly do the KSFO-YSSY (SFO-SYD) big flight. I have been doing that flight for many years. When I started, United was flying the 744, the Queen of the Skies. After those were retired, there was a short time they were flying the 772. Then they switched to the 789. What a beautiful aircraft that is. Finally, they switched to flying the 77W since 2019. Last year, they started operating TWO flights. At least seasonally. They are still operating two flights daily. One with a 77W and the other with a 772. The million mile aircraft was N79011, an old Continental 772 with first flight 1999-06-18. Age 24.7 years. Probably TMI. Sorry.

Quoted from JA031888:

DumbAss Welcome back Victor. Did you mean to attach the photo of you and captain? I cannot see it and would like to.

No. It was a solo with me in the captain's seat. In hindsight, I probably should've asked for one with him as well as a commemorative photo. Too late for that now and I won't be hitting 2 million - ever. United calculates miles flown as actual (no fare class boosts) PAID "butt in seat" (nautical) miles ONLY on United aircraft. While waiting at immigration, another passenger in the cabin congratulated me. He overheard the conversation. He said he was at 500k. He's got a ways to go.

#1504 46 days ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Hi Victor did those rom adapter boards for system 11 ever come out of prototype to put a single 512 in place of the 128/256 u26/u27 combo? I'd be in for a few if so....

I had created a dual ROM board allowing selection between two game ROMs. Typically useful for situations like regular versus tournament or Pembot and Pinbot in one.

I hadn't considered creating a board to replace U26(27128)+U27(27256) with a single U26+U27(27512). It's theoretically possible. I will create a small board to do this. I created a schematic to do this and it should work. I'll add it to the next (pending) fabrication order I make.

#1505 46 days ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

How hosed am I at this point and potentially down the road?

I've seen something similar to this with a small test/prototype board that I built using the (shown above) water soluble flux solder. I forgot to wash it and left it. Came back to it and saw similar to what you see. The water soluble flux is acid based and you MUST wash it off with water. I think the recommendation is no longer than about 48-27 hours but I wash it off immediately after working on the board. It is recommended to use distilled water but I've not had a problem with just regular water. I use a surfactant to help remove as much as possible. Rinse well. Then let it dry. That is why it takes me days to build boards. I build them in phases and wash between phases. I like to have all the flux removed between phases.

#1506 46 days ago

And an update. Two separate posts to keep things separate.

While away, I worked a few things in the copious (cough) amounts of free time I had. I have a bunch of boards waiting fabrication but I batch them and try to limit the batch so it is not excessive. I will try to document the boards when I get around to laying them out and capturing images of them.

I typically start building the small boards. I did this during the adjustment period to avoid big boards. Big boards with mistakes are not good. I had these sitting around waiting for verification since I had a big board batch I wanted to get to. I have another big board batch to get to but I need to make a fabrication order so I have to complete layout for some other boards to batch into this fabrication order. It makes better use of the time (overlaps fabrication with my building).

So what's in this post?

boards_349.jpgboards_349.jpg

A bunch of small boards. From top left in a clock direction:

• The Addams Family - Extra Flipper Supply board. A-15416. There are others out there. My board uses discrete diodes instead of a bridge rectifier. Board is verified.
    • The Addams Family - High Power board. A-15139. There are other out there. My board uses 3AG fuse clips instead of the 5mm fuse clips. It was a tight squeeze but I wanted to provide a board that uses the same fuse size as the rest of the machine (reference: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/270#post-7842871). I was unable to use fuse holders since they are larger and there's just not enough space on the board without making it bigger. I also placed the heat sinks so that servicing the board (replacing the TIP36Cs) is easier since you can use a screwdriver directly rather than requiring a right angle ratcheting driver. Board is verified.
    • White Water - Chase Light PCB assembly. A-15761. This board rectifies the AC with an adjustable regulator so it should be possible to use 6.3V #555 bulbs if the voltage is adjusted correctly. Not currently verified. If I get my PWM stuff working, I would consider adding it to this board so that LEDs would provide the true incandescent effect on the (waterfall) topper that LEDs take away slightly.
    • White Water - Bi-Directional Motor Drive assembly. A-15680. Standard reproduction. Not currently verified.
    • Indiana Jones - Motor Opto Switch board. A-16657. Reproduction but uses 5mm slotted optos with switch matrix isolation and LED indicators of the slotted opto state. Surface mount due to board dimension restrictions. Board is verified.
    • The Addams Family - 2-Opto Switch assembly. A-15285. Reproduction using 3mm slotted optos with switch matrix isolation and LED indicators of the slotted opto state. Surface mount for the same reasons. Board is verified.

As you can see, I still have to create a verification harness for a few more boards.

These are more mundane, run-of-the-mill, boards. The next post will contain much more interesting stuff for those that are more technically inclined.

#1507 46 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Probably TMI. Sorry.

Not for me, myself having done a bit of OS travel I find it fascinating that you have travelled 1,000,000 miles.
    At 25,000 miles to round the earth, this puts you at circling the globe 40 times, amazing.

I think I wrote in a PM to you it was 25 times, but I miscalculated...

Glad your travels all went well, now get back to work (JK)

Matt.

#1508 46 days ago

And now for the more technical post. It's LONG. If you're not interested in the technical details then you should probably stop reading.

I have been toying with this project for years. At first, I had no idea how to approach it. I did a lot of searching, reading and research. Gathering information from all sorts of reference material. Reading that reference material over and over and over. 5% sank in at first. Then maybe 10%. Each reading would provide an incremental understanding but the overall understand eluded me.

I built a substitution and simulation board but I got the simulation board wrong. I revised it but it turns out I didn't need it. I got it figured out yesterday with my first success. At least on the initial part. I had planned to do something else today but I got carried away because I kept making progress. Why stop when you're on a roll?

Here are the boards. The project should be obvious from the boards.

boards_350.jpgboards_350.jpg

There is the WPC-S daughter board for my CPU board, a prototype board to allow using a larger and faster processor with some diagnostic LEDs and two ZIF socket adapter boards to allow easy insertion and removal of ICs.

The two biggest issues with this project are the handshake and the switch matrix reading. I was fairly sure I got the switch matrix reading side working since I already had a prototype board that illuminated the corresponding LED in an 8x8 LED block based on the switches closed in a matrix fashion. The handshake was what was going to give me grief. I did a lot of reading of the same information over and over again and finally got the algorithm working. I had no way to verify it while away so I had to wait for my return.

I got it working on the bigger, faster processor and ported it to the standard processor. The PIC16F57. That's a very limited processor. Not much computing power. I got the handshake working on this processor.

boards_351.jpgboards_351.jpg

But the switch matrix reading had issues. Purely timing related. The communication protocol between the game and the security PIC is not a true handshake. There isn't any acknowledgement. It's more a post message, delay and expect a response in a certain amount of time rather than a send message and wait for reply. The reason for this is that the security protocol is grafted onto the switch matrix protocol to keep changes to the WPC CPU board and software simple. It really is post, wait, read response. I had to mess with the switch matrix reading code to get it to work on the PIC16F57.

Then I switched to focus on the bigger processor. I chose to use a PIC18F45K42 which is a (maximally) 64MHz processor with 40 pins. One input only pin and 35 input/output pins. Plenty of pins to do what I need. The extra processor grunt allowed me to actually compute the required data for the handshake rather than use static data. The PIC16F57 is so limited that static data is required. There simply isn't enough grunt to compute the data at startup. The ability to compute the data allows for the game number and the serial number to be specified.

One of the interest things is that if the game software gets the incorrect game number, it will attempt to do an "unlock" with the game number that it (the game software) is expecting. This means that the security code knows what the expected game number is. The problem is that the game software sends that information after the handshake and there's no way for the security code to reset the game processor to "try again".

However, the security code can store the expected game number so on the next startup, it can provide the correct answer. Since it computes the data at startup, it can compute the correct result. That's exactly what the security code now does.

Here's the example.

• Game is 526 and security is 536. This results in "INCORRECT U22" but the security code knows the game is 526 so it writes that for the next start. boards_352.jpgboards_352.jpg
    • On the next start, game is 526 and security is 526. This passes and everything works. boards_353.jpgboards_353.jpg
    • Switch game ROM. Game is 536 and security is 526. This results in "INCORRECT U22". Security knows game is 536 so it writes that. boards_354.jpgboards_354.jpg
    • On the next start, game is 536 and security is 536. This passes and everything works. boards_355.jpgboards_355.jpg

In essence, it's a "smart" security PIC. It only takes one error to fix itself. I can't think of a way to predict the game number. The software just isn't clairvoyant. It can self correct though.

All of this is fine. It all works. So there are a few paths forward that I invite anybody who has read this far to contribute with suggestions. The self correction code is all I need for my bench. I just want something that works on the bench with whatever game ROM is used. Others may want other things, such as the ability to write your own serial number rather than the generic "999999" or "777777" or similar.

The issue with this is that the serial number has to be stored somewhere. It can be stored on chip but access to this requires special software and hardware to read/write the PIC. It's not a simple "serial" interface. Storing the serial number on external storage (EEPROM) means that the security code must read that EEPROM and the EEPROM must be accessible on the board through some interface. Common interfaces are SPI and I2C but there's no software to access this interface from a PC or Mac. This is my quandary.

So I invite comments:

• Is writing your own serial number important?
    • Is having a selectable game number better than being self correcting?
    • Does any of this really matter? Who cares about all of this? It's a super niche market with almost no demand.

Sorry for the long technical post. I figured someone might find it interesting. A lot of this information is actually available if your search-fu is good. It's putting it all together that was the biggest challenge for me.

I welcome any comments - public or private. My personal usage preference is self correcting on my bench. That's really all I need. I did it for a challenge more than anything else.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program. If I can find some time then I will clean this up (shrink it down the minimum rather than the big proto board). I also want to find some time to work on the PWM stuff but I still have a long big board queue that needs work. Perhaps in a billion years, the Earth's rotation will have slowed down enough that there will be 40 hours in a day.

#1509 46 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I had created a dual ROM board allowing selection between two game ROMs. Typically useful for situations like regular versus tournament or Pembot and Pinbot in one.

I would be interested in some of those as well, especially if there's room to mount a zif socket in there and still have access to switch between them.

#1510 46 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

Does any of this really matter? Who cares about all of this? It's a super niche market with almost no demand.

Eh, self correction after second boot is quite tolerable. Sort of like WMS 3-7 booting into audits.

I wonder, you’ve determined that the PIC16F57 doesn’t have enough ass to calculate a correct response even if the algorithm is known. How then did/does this work with EWE-22 or other aftermarket suppliers of PIC chips that are PIC16F57s?

Maybe I misunderstood.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball - My YT Channel
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#1511 46 days ago

Awesome post. May want to fix your images though, the same success photo was inserted 4 times instead of the error photos you meant to include.

#1512 46 days ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Awesome post. May want to fix your images though, the same success photo was inserted 4 times instead of the error photos you meant to include.

look closely at the numbers, all pictures are different.

#1513 46 days ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

look closely at the numbers, all pictures are different.

Sorry, they are not on my end. Dumbass which photo shows the "INCORRECT U22" error? May just be Pinside?

#1514 46 days ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Sorry, they are not on my end. Dumbass which photo shows the "INCORRECT U22" error? May just be Pinside?

The error is never posted, the pictures just show that the two numbers don't match, then after reboot they match.

#1515 46 days ago
    Quoted from Crash:

good (resized).jpggood (resized).jpgmismatch (resized).jpgmismatch (resized).jpg
    #1516 46 days ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Eh, self correction after second boot is quite tolerable. Sort of like WMS 3-7 booting into audits.

Actually, there is a cycle that was omitted. On swapping the ROM, the initial start produces "FACTORY SETTINGS RESTORED". I backed out of this to force a normal cycle. This first cycle shows a mismatch which is then corrected. The important part for me is that there's no intervention required on my part. I have one of those game selectable versions and you either need to consult the "cheat sheet" or know binary representations of decimal digits to configure the DIP switches correctly. You also need to know the game number to set the DIP switches correctly. With this self correction, no intervention or knowledge is required. Just power cycles. I'll take that trade-off any day.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I wonder, you’ve determined that the PIC16F57 doesn’t have enough ass to calculate a correct response even if the algorithm is known. How then did/does this work with EWE-22 or other aftermarket suppliers of PIC chips that are PIC16F57s?

The OEM and Ewe22 software embeds the ENCODED bytes into the data written to the PIC. It's pre-encoded on another device (PC) since the encoding algorithm is "computationally expensive". It's expensive for the PIC16F57 to do since it only has a basic ALU that doesn't support multiplication or division in hardware. It's also an 8-bit accumulator and the numbers are 32-bit numbers. It has space for 2,048 instructions, 72 bytes of data and no non-volatile data (EEPROM).

• The OEM IC was (presumably) written on some assembly line that automated the computation of the encoded data before writing it to the PIC16C57 (in those days it was C not F). Nowadays, PPS uses the same OEM software when it sells their PIC but I don't know if they allow you to select the serial number displayed or whether it's a fixed (static or generic) serial number.
    • Ewe22 wrote a static serial number. I believe it was 999999. By not bothering with specific serial numbers, it allowed the PIC to be written in a production line without any customization. The goal was to make the machine work without bothering about the correct serial number.
    • Flipprojets also offers a PIC but allows customization. Presumably, it takes the data you input, encodes the bytes and writes it to the PIC before shipping.
    • The game selectable IC that was offered (and might still be offered) shows 777777 as the serial number. The game number is selected with 2x 4-bit DIP switches that represent the lower 2 digits of the game number. Since it only supports the lower 2 digits, and it presumably assumes the most significant digit is 5, this won't support Safe Cracker since the most significant digit is 9 for that game.
    • There might be other solutions available. I know there was one recently published (a year or so ago) that used a different Microchip processor.

The encoding algorithm is published on the web. It just requires a little bit of searching and being able to read the C language.

#1517 46 days ago

Just received system 11 for pinbot. Incredible quality!! Do eeproms just switch over from old board? I see lots of jumpers so not sure if anything needs changing.thx!

#1518 46 days ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Just received system 11 for pinbot. Incredible quality!! Do eeproms just switch over from old board? I see lots of jumpers so not sure if anything needs changing.thx!

You will probably at least want to get a fresh set of main game ROMs with the updated PEMBOT code.

#1519 46 days ago

That all makes total sense DumbAss
    PIC chips made “offline” to serialize each game.

#1520 43 days ago

Got my DumbAss boards the other day. They are a BEAUTY. Can’t wait to get to the point of powering them up!

IMG_0858 (resized).jpegIMG_0858 (resized).jpegIMG_0859 (resized).jpegIMG_0859 (resized).jpegIMG_0862 (resized).jpegIMG_0862 (resized).jpeg
    #1521 43 days ago

Sorry for derailing, can someone tell me if I have installed this correctly.
    Wpc 89 U7-8

Thanks in advance

20240112_212911 (resized).jpg20240112_212911 (resized).jpg
    #1522 43 days ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Sorry for derailing, can someone tell me if I have installed this correctly.
    Wpc 89 U7-8
    Thanks in advance[quoted image]

The picture doesn’t provide quite enough context, but I think the picture has the board oriented as it would be in the game. If that is the case, then yes, those 4N25 Opto-isolators are installed correctly. As you can see, the dot is in the northwest corner of the chip and that is pin one.

#1524 42 days ago

Those look fantastic!

#1525 41 days ago

I finally uploaded a raw video the OST, One Shot Trigger, in operation system designed by DumbAss and announced here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/27#post-7644242

This three board system (one to provide power, one to intercept switch signals, and one to protect the special solenoid circuits) absolutely protects the special solenoid circuits in all Williams System 3-11 MPU boards and would also work for Data East "reflexive" MPU boards. No more holes burned completely through the PCB. No need for a separate fuse board.

Briefly, the way it works is by intercepting the special solenoid switch signals, detecting stuck switches, and blocking conveyance of that switch signal to the MPU. It takes literally 5 minutes to install, is completely reversible, and 100% protects special solenoids on games like FirePower, Flash, Black Knight, High Speed, Pin*Bot, etc from locking on and damaging your PCBs.

The concept is not new to pinball, but it is new to the board sets mentioned.
    Gottlieb Pop Bumper Driver Boards do the same thing, albeit via non-intelligent hardware.
    WPC implemented something similar in software. If a sling switch is closed 10 times in a row with no intervening switch closures, that solenoid circuit will be disabled (this may not be quite right...research underway, but you get the idea).

I've posted a "raw" video of the implementation here:

The video is a little rough but I decided to not let (video) perfection be the enemy of "good enough". Yes, I did kick the cold I had.

I'm happy to answer questions about the system as is @dumbass.
    See following post for a discussion of how coils/drive transistors fail.
    --
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisHiblerPinball

#1526 41 days ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

WPC implemented something similar in software. If a sling switch is closed 10 times in a row with no intervening switch closures, that solenoid circuit will be disabled.

This is not exactly true. If a sling switch reactivates within a certain timeout period (which is rather short) - it will only fire the solenoid once. It still processes the switch and gives score, etc. - and will reset the timeout period to countdown again. If the timeout period expires, the sling will then again fire. Tested this on twilight zone 9.2 and could probably look at others, but it's not a blanket "stop after 10" type of thing. It is a good thing for sure, but the concept of the 'special solenoid' in wpc just doesn't exist as it does in the earlier games.

It also does NOT throw a credit dot up either, alerting the operator that there's something amiss where a switch is activating multiple times in a row. The routine itself is likely a switch debounce routine more than anything else, something that williams from system 7 onward did VERY well in software (thank you again, Larry Demar) - which other manufacturers just didn't copy, for whatever reason (maybe Data East did I've only looked at secret service in that family, and not for anything switch/solenoid related).

#1527 41 days ago
    Quoted from slochar:

not a blanket "stop after 10" type of thing.

Interesting @slochar.
    My empirical data was from testing in my TZ with 9.4h game ROM, quite some time ago.
    I was testing a driver board slingshot drive transistor and noticed this.
    It was repeatable as I recall.

I'll have to try it again.
    I never did find this documented.
    --

#1528 41 days ago

Funny we both used the same game with different versions to do this.

I'll try other wpc games as I clean then off....

#1529 41 days ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

My empirical data was from testing in my TZ with 9.4h game ROM, quite some time ago.

Quoted from slochar:

Tested this on twilight zone 9.2 and could probably look at others,

Something to note - when Ted did 9.4H, the base 'OS' was updated, and included a lot of newer base features that were introduced in normally later games - it's possible this was one of the newer things that was brought back into TZ from a later update. Just a guess, but possible.

#1530 41 days ago

Yep I'll check that out when I test afm mb etc just gotta get to them.

As a software nerd I don't like absolute descriptions... and it wouldn't surprise me at all if certain programmers went their own way anyway.

Bill Pfutzenreuter was doing it his own way all the way back to the stern electronics days as did Eugene Jarvis. Larry Demar and Lyman Sheets hewed the closest to purity in their code (meaning easiest to understand).

#1531 41 days ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

notice to everyone looking for the color-coded files:
    I'm currently sorting out issues with my dropbox account. I should have everything worked out by the weekend and will provide new links for all of the files.
    sorry for the inconvenience.

Hiya j_m_ - Wondered if you had any luck with this please?? Thanks!!

#1532 40 days ago

sorry, I was down for the count this weekend (pinched a nerve in my back). looking to get this resolved tonight or tomorrow. sorry for the delay guys & gals

update:
    the space has been freed. I will re-up the files along with new links tonight. I will just have to go through the thread to update all of the out-of-date links.
    if this happens again, feel free to shoot me a pm with your email address and the files that you're looking for and I will gladly shoot you the .zip file.

#1533 40 days ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

sorry, I was down for the count this weekend (pinched a nerve in my back). looking to get this resolved tonight or tomorrow. sorry for the delay guys & gals

Wow man you have my sympathies (from someone with a well knackered back!). Take it steady!

#1534 40 days ago

I've updated all of the links in their appropriate posts. please let me know if anything doesn't work correctly.

#1535 39 days ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Something to note - when Ted did 9.4H, the base 'OS' was updated, and included a lot of newer base features that were introduced in normally later games - it's possible this was one of the newer things that was brought back into TZ from a later update. Just a guess, but possible.

Put 9.4H in my game, and it operates exactly the same as the other games I tested - it's got a short-ish cool down period where you can reactivate the switch and it just scores, does not fire the solenoid, but the 'activate 10 times in a row without other switches inbetween and it turns it off' is simply not true.

I trust ChrisHibler will update the relevant sections of the pinwiki to reflect this new information.

It does sound like a nice feature to add to the codebase though. If I'm ever in the position of writing a pinball OS from scratch I'll definitely consider putting something like this in, or even on a major system update. Would solve the machine gunning issue for sure.

I did add a smoothing curve to mystic so I could have really sensitive slings (because those are wonderfully evil) without worrying about the machine gunning. (Also wanted to see if I could do it.... it was pretty simple IIRC)

#1536 39 days ago

Good to know slochar - my games are currently still in storage, so I can't do any_ testing at the moment.

1 week later
    #1537 32 days ago
    Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I finally uploaded a raw video the OST, One Shot Trigger, in operation system designed by DumbAss and announced here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/27#post-7644242
    This three board system (one to provide power, one to intercept switch signals, and one to protect the special solenoid circuits) absolutely protects the special solenoid circuits in all Williams System 3-11 MPU boards and would also work for Data East "reflexive" MPU boards. No more holes burned completely through the PCB. No need for a separate fuse board.
    Briefly, the way it works is by intercepting the special solenoid switch signals, detecting stuck switches, and blocking conveyance of that switch signal to the MPU. It takes literally 5 minutes to install, is completely reversible, and 100% protects special solenoids on games like FirePower, Flash, Black Knight, High Speed, Pin*Bot, etc from locking on and damaging your PCBs.
    The concept is not new to pinball, but it is new to the board sets mentioned.
    Gottlieb Pop Bumper Driver Boards do the same thing, albeit via non-intelligent hardware.
    WPC implemented something similar in software. If a sling switch is closed 10 times in a row with no intervening switch closures, that solenoid circuit will be disabled (this may not be quite right...research underway, but you get the idea).
    I've posted a "raw" video of the implementation here:
    The video is a little rough but I decided to not let (video) perfection be the enemy of "good enough". Yes, I did kick the cold I had.
    I'm happy to answer questions about the system as is @dumbass.
    See following post for a discussion of how coils/drive transistors fail.
    --

When will be available and price point. Would buy several.

#1538 32 days ago
    Quoted from pinballplusMN:

When will be available and price point. Would buy several.

pinballplusMN Right now sir.
    Contact @DumbAss...he'll take care of you.
    --

#1539 31 days ago

Just leaving this here....

IMG_2252 (resized).jpgIMG_2252 (resized).jpg

PIA's arrived this morning, however am awaiting on my PIA tester I ordered yesterday from Pinball Solutions in Belgium. Once tested then on with the daughter boards and into a machine to get tested!

#1540 31 days ago
    Quoted from toibs:

Just leaving this here....[quoted image]

Two things.

1. s11_cpu_c58.jpgs11_cpu_c58.jpg
    2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic_family

Those are hints. If it's unclear what the nudge is trying to do then let me know and I'll elaborate. You will learn more if you do the reading.

#1541 31 days ago
    Quoted from toibs:

Just leaving this here....
    [quoted image]
    PIA's arrived this morning, however am awaiting on my PIA tester I ordered yesterday from Pinball Solutions in Belgium. Once tested then on with the daughter boards and into a machine to get tested!

Well done.
    Everything aligned nicely.
    Machine pin sockets are not my preference but they work.

#1542 25 days ago

Super excited. Finally ordered sys 11 boards for my taxi and whirlwind (and 2 spare for another projects).

I know its been asked before but could someone share BOM for mouser or RS? Thanks in advance.

#1543 24 days ago

Another video demonstrating the benefit of the "one shot trigger" board.

--

#1544 21 days ago

Small update. Nothing fancy.

• I was asked by a member to reproduce this board (A-19242-1 = the Dual H-Motor Controller). I have it verified but I built a specific verification board for a bunch of these bi-directional "motor" boards. There are three such boards that I can see used through WPC. A single control implemented using TIP102/TIP107 transistors. A double (dual) control that duplicates the single control circuit. A single control implemented using a bridge driver (4 way). The verification board should be able to verify all of them. I have the IJ bridge driver board reproduced but I need to find the L6203 bridge drivers that I purchased (a while ago). I plan to do the TZ version (a revision of the initial IJ version).boards_356.jpgboards_356.jpg
    • I don't build this board (A-20028 = WPC-95 Power Driver) very often. Not a lot of requests for this board. My bench is using the OEM board from my Scared Stiff but now it will use one of these boards so I can put the OEM board back in the machine.boards_357.jpgboards_357.jpg

I have another small board set in fabrication that I will post about once I get them in, built and verified.

#1545 21 days ago

And ... off topic but a follow up.

The other week I got a notification of an expected package to be delivered. Tracking showed it originated from IL. I didn't order anything. Certainly nothing from IL. So I went to the post office to pick it up. This is what arrived. I placed the quarter for relative size comparison.

00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg00_ua_mm_package_front.jpg01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg01_ua_mm_package_rear.jpg

Definitely unexpected. The challenge coin was also unexpected. I found a thread on FlyerTalk about this milestone and people achieving it (or multiples of it). A bunch of wasted time (reading the whole thread) later, it looks like the airline only recently started sending these out.

I opened it up and this is what is inside.

02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg02_ua_mm_package_inside.jpg

And this is the actual plaque. It's crooked (sigh). I guess that's the OCD in me. Nonetheless, a very nice gesture.

03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg03_ua_mm_plaque.jpg

Yes. It took 29 years and 7 months. No. I will NOT be achieving the next (multiple) milestone.

#1546 21 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I was asked by a member to reproduce this board (A-19242-1 = the Dual H-Motor Controller). I have it verified but I built a specific verification board for a bunch of these bi-directional "motor" boards. There are three such boards that I can see used through WPC. A single control implemented using TIP102/TIP107 transistors. A double (dual) control that duplicates the single control circuit. A single control implemented using a bridge driver (4 way). The verification board should be able to verify all of them. I have the IJ bridge driver board reproduced but I need to find the L6203 bridge drivers that I purchased (a while ago). I plan to do the TZ version (a revision of the initial IJ version).[quoted image]
    I don't build this board (A-20028 = WPC-95 Power Driver) very often. Not a lot of requests for this board. My bench is using the OEM board from my Scared Stiff but now it will use one of these boards so I can put the OEM board back in the machine.[quoted image]

I have another small board set in fabrication that I will post about once I get them in, built and verified.

Nothing fancy he says! Very exciting seeing more WPC boards

Quoted from DumbAss:

And ... off topic but a follow up.
    The other week I got a notification of an expected package to be delivered. Tracking showed it originated from IL. I didn't order anything. Certainly nothing from IL. So I went to the post office to pick it up. This is what arrived. I placed the quarter for relative size comparison.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    Definitely unexpected. The challenge coin was also unexpected. I found a thread on FlyerTalk about this milestone and people achieving it (or multiples of it). A bunch of wasted time (reading the whole thread) later, it looks like the airline only recently started sending these out.
    I opened it up and this is what is inside.
    [quoted image]
    And this is the actual plaque. It's crooked (sigh). I guess that's the OCD in me. Nonetheless, a very nice gesture.
    [quoted image]
    Yes. It took 29 years and 7 months. No. I will NOT be achieving the next (multiple) milestone.

Very cool and something I’ve never seen or heard of. Really appreciate you being willing to share with us

What percentage of those 1M miles was sitting in a window seat?

Mystery packages are the best, until they turn out to be random Amazon garbage for ratings boosts

#1547 21 days ago

This post reminds me that I need to find that box that I was going to send to you last year (i.e. Fliptronics boards I blew up).

#1548 21 days ago

Just a note to say that I successfully assembled the one shot board set and installed them into our Pinbot machine. The quality of the board set and parts kit encouraged me to make sure I was at the top of my game with soldering and cleaning up . Thanks Victor!

Dave

#1549 20 days ago
    Quoted from DumbAss:

I was asked by a member to reproduce this board (A-19242-1 = the Dual H-Motor Controller). I have it verified but I built a specific verification board for a bunch of these bi-directional "motor" boards. There are three such boards that I can see used through WPC. A single control implemented using TIP102/TIP107 transistors. A double (dual) control that duplicates the single control circuit. A single control implemented using a bridge driver (4 way). The verification board should be able to verify all of them. I have the IJ bridge driver board reproduced but I need to find the L6203 bridge drivers that I purchased (a while ago). I plan to do the TZ version (a revision of the initial IJ version).[quoted image]
    I don't build this board (A-20028 = WPC-95 Power Driver) very often. Not a lot of requests for this board. My bench is using the OEM board from my Scared Stiff but now it will use one of these boards so I can put the OEM board back in the machine.[quoted image]

Nice to see that this is available if needed. I recently had to replace a few components on my Road Show Dual H when Red developed a slack jaw.

#1550 20 days ago

Just wanted to shout out Victor. Haven’t had a need for a board from him for a bit but always hate having to hide them behind a translite.

IMG_1362 (resized).jpegIMG_1362 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,565 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dumbass-test-and-reproduction-pcbs/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.