tootsie pop (resized).jpg
Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpg
IMG_7639 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7671 (resized).jpeg
000.smyl (resized).jpg
BarryO.jpg
Refund (resized).png
owners (resized).jpg
There are 1,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 23.
#851 32 days ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Somebody get this guy a job at Stern or JJP and rid him of this stockholm syndrome.

These companies don't hire "brand ambassadors" or "rules consultants."

#852 32 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wait. But wasn't Brand Ambassador what Jared and Jack Danger basically did for Stern? MXV kinda does that too as part of the field testing program, and he's slowly morphed into a jr game rule designer.

#853 32 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They previously hired one of the former (on contract, at least)

#854 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I get pretty hungry after smoking grass

Another pre vegan who doesn't know it yet!

#855 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Wait. But wasn't Brand Ambassador what Jared and Jack Danger basically did for Stern?

I don't work there, but it seems like Danger was hired for an actual purpose and skillset; streaming games, engaging directly with customers. Not sure about Jared but you could probably fill in the blanks. In 2024 pretty much every company needs a "Social Media Manager" or what have you.

#856 32 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Another pre vegan who doesn't know it yet!

TBH I don't eat that much meat already and sometimes do bouts of vegetarianism. But I couldn't deal with vegan. I need my fish, cheese, and eggs.

#857 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

TBH I don't eat that much meat already and sometimes do bouts of vegetarianism. But I couldn't deal with vegan. I need my fish, cheese, and eggs.

No whey!

#858 32 days ago

It's hilarious how much we love puns but hate Punny Factory

#859 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Until you decide you do not! I was a borderline carnivore my whole life until eleven years ago.

#860 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I get pretty hungry after smoking grass

I've never tasted smoked grass. Is it like a kilo at a time?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#861 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's hilarious how much we love puns but hate Punny Factory

We hate Punny Factory?

#862 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

This just seems unnecessarily harsh

Sometimes the truth is harsh. Did I say anything that doesn’t ring true? Stern & JJP have been homes for all the B/W legends…except Jpop & Barry. Which places have been the only homes for Jpop & Barry. AP and DR. Telling.

Which places have been the only professional pinball job for Bowden? AP & DR. Telling.

Fix has shown over and over he's out of touch & stuck in the 90s, while the competent 90s legends have all moved ahead into the present.

Quoted from anathematize:

The fact that Steve just lapdogs for him is extremely disappointing. But I guess he lapdogged for Deeproot too. Somebody get this guy a job at Stern or JJP and rid him of this stockholm syndrome

He’d have no use at a real pinball company. Real pinball companies have programmers that write the rules. They don’t need a guy sitting over their shoulder with a notepad telling them what to do. They know what to do. This whole concept of Bowden being some kind of asset as a rules writer who doesn’t program has been proven to be a total waste.

#863 32 days ago

I think it’s clear the Fix vision is broke…

#864 32 days ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

Can you rephrase this in the form of a pun?

#865 32 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

He’d have no use at a real pinball company. Real pinball companies have programmers that write the rules. They don’t need a guy sitting over their shoulder with a notepad telling them what to do. They know what to do. This whole concept of Bowden being some kind of asset as a rules writer who doesn’t program has been proven to be a total waste.

Do you count multimorphic as a real pinball company?

#866 32 days ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I've never tasted smoked grass.

DD0A8706-08A4-4E9C-87C1-50796DCE7D1C (resized).jpegDD0A8706-08A4-4E9C-87C1-50796DCE7D1C (resized).jpeg
#867 32 days ago

Can you rephrase this in the form of a pun

AP has proven you can indeed Fix what isn't broken.

#868 32 days ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Jesus are you all still bitching about linear mode progress??
zOMG can you believe they didn’t let me PICK what i get to play?? Worst pin ever!
Meanwhile…
[quoted image]

Well its that plus all the other stuff. Theres other linear style games I like but they often have either good shots/geometry , are from an era where I didn't expect as much, or both. The boring code is just tacked on with all the other problems the game has.

Quoted from Sandman33:

Just put longer flippers on it. Loopin Supers is cool, the modes aren't bad. It's fairly easy to get extra balls which helps with the difficulty.

I've been through are you a god and you are a god on multiple occasions. I can play the game just fine. It isn't the "difficulty", its the bullshit. That and the lack of having fun.

#869 32 days ago

#870 32 days ago
Quoted from RobF:

more of a turn-of-phrase, but I'll allow it

#871 32 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sometimes the truth is harsh. Did I say anything that doesn’t ring true? Stern & JJP have been homes for all the B/W legends…except Jpop & Barry. Which places have been the only homes for Jpop & Barry. AP and DR. Telling.
Which places have been the only professional pinball job for Bowden? AP & DR. Telling.
Fix has shown over and over he's out of touch & stuck in the 90s, while the competent 90s legends have all moved ahead into the present.

>Both men are embarrassing and should not be involved in pinball manufacturing.

I tend to draw the line at when you start implying people shouldn't have their jobs... But maybe that's just me. Criticize the product, don't make it so personal. You wanna say they make a terrible product, go for it. I tend to agree. A little teasing is ok, but somewhere there should be a line. They've done nothing criminal. (except maybe try to use Barry O's likeness without first securing permission. Bazinga)

#872 32 days ago

I'll be honest, this game hasn't even made me desire BBQ food more than I did before.

#873 32 days ago
Quoted from RobF:

What strikes me is Fix was brought in to change the culture and then during a live panel you have their contracted employee designer say “that guy’s an ass” on a hot mic. I don’t think talking bad about another member of the team behind their back is an improvement over what they had going before. IDK.

#874 32 days ago

The guy's last name is Fix, he probably fixes things. It's a reasonable assumption by the employer that hired him.

#875 32 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I tend to draw the line at when you start implying people shouldn't have their jobs... But maybe that's just me. Criticize the product, don't make it so personal.

I’m not making it personal. If it was personal, I’d use naughty words and insults…I’m not doing that. No one is entitled to a job. If you’re bad at your job & a company wants to keep existing, they’re within their right to replace you. Fix, with his actions and words, has proven that he’s not good at leading a pinball company. The product proves this. The sales prove this. This discourse proves this. The way he represents the company compared to how other pinball peeps represent their companies proves this.

#876 32 days ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

What strikes me is Fix was brought in to change the culture

That's what Fix has repeatedly stated. Has anyone else?

#877 32 days ago

Do you count multimorphic as a real final company?

Sure, why not? I haven’t been a fan of all of their stuff, but I always thought the concept was neat & I respect Gerry’s commitment to his vision. They’ve actually taken the steps to address things that buyers wanted - better art direction, getting some cool licenses, etc.

#878 32 days ago

I want to defend Fix here. So obviously there have been cases where he's made over boisterous claims, talked out his ass, got overly defensive to his company's detriment. The fact he recently got on a youtube show and used a garbled mic means he's taking a step in the Right direction.

#879 32 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure, why not? I haven’t been a fan of all of their stuff, but I always thought the concept was neat & I respect Gerry’s commitment to his vision. They’ve actually taken the steps to address things that buyers wanted - better art direction, getting some cool licenses, etc.

They hire Bowen and Colin for rules

#880 32 days ago

Like I said, companies like Stern and JJP don't hire brand ambassadors or "rules consultants."

#881 32 days ago

I think Fix is hanging on with his fingernails because his hope is this is just 1990 and the heyday of unlicensed pin titles is just about to explode again, and he want's to be there for that "the Earth is under attack... an Attack From Mars!!!" moment with the shaking saucer and laughing cow jokes... all with the expectation that if he is at the right place at the right time, somehow, AP will become the WMS or Bally wannabe it has always tried to be but saddly will never be as long as Fix be as Fix be.

#882 32 days ago

Not as full time employees. I mean look, if a programmer wants to collaborate with a “rules writer”, that’s on them…but it’s an absolute waste of money to hire someone full time for a job that is already the programmer’s job.

Also, Bowen & Bowden are different people. Bowen worked on R&M, which is awesome. I don’t know who Colin is. Has Bowden done anything tangible that’s good? BBQ clearly isn’t.

#883 32 days ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

. Has Bowden done anything tangible that’s good? BBQ clearly isn’t.

I think the best thing he’s done is his commentary during high level tournament streams.

Unfortunately that doesn’t translate to improving AP’s games or ability to move product out the door.

#884 31 days ago

A new competitor is about to enter the pit. Sounds unlicensed BUT public domain, so people will have some level of attachment to the property. That's how you do unlicensed themes in the modern age...

#885 31 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

A new competitor is about to enter the pit. Sounds unlicensed BUT public domain, so people will have some level of attachment to the property. That's how you do unlicensed themes in the modern age...

Who that?

#887 31 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

JPop's Dutch Preorder Wonderland

Oh boy!

#888 25 days ago

Played it last night. It was worse than I thought.

I take back what I said about how I'd rather play it than Ghostbusters.

#889 25 days ago

Sounds like there will be some leftovers

#890 25 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Played it last night. It was worse than I thought.
I take back what I said about how I'd rather play it than Ghostbusters.

Where at did you play it? I'm waiting for Saturday to check it out at Midwest Gaming Classic.

#891 25 days ago
Quoted from chad:

Where at did you play it? I'm waiting for Saturday to check it out at Midwest Gaming Classic.

At Enterrium last night. I'll be trying it again at MGC though, just for lolz

#892 25 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Nice, thanks

#893 25 days ago
Quoted from LORDDREK:

there was a vision?

#894 25 days ago

Change thread name to.
Barry’s very Challenged for Hype pin!

#895 25 days ago

Does it take this situation to get people to play BBQ for an extended period of time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#896 25 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I played it there last week, and the back leg levelers were completely flat - the game was so floaty you couldn't even make the ramps.
I'd be surprised if the game had a pitch above 3.0

#897 25 days ago
Quoted from Whistles:

Wow this is really over the top! Lucky folks who get to play this at TPF!

I really wanted to enjoy this pin at TPF but it just wasn't very fun and I don't know why, but there wasn't a line for it all weekend either.

#898 25 days ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I played it there last week, and the back leg levelers were completely flat - the game was so floaty you couldn't even make the ramps.

Hahaha, any steeper and the spinners on the ramps reject! lol

#899 25 days ago
Quoted from RojerLockless:

I really wanted to enjoy this pin at TPF but it just wasn't very fun and I don't know why

Because it's not good?

#900 25 days ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I noticed that too. Maurice was there, you'd think he'd be making an effort to set it up right. My only guess is that the weak mushy flippers are so bad that it has to be flat like that.

Quoted from Pinhead_:

Hahaha, any steeper and the spinners on the ramps reject! lol

My thoughts too

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,495.00
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, ME
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.00
There are 1,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.