tootsie pop (resized).jpg
Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpg
IMG_7639 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7671 (resized).jpeg
000.smyl (resized).jpg
BarryO.jpg
Refund (resized).png
owners (resized).jpg
There are 1,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 23.
#1 51 days ago

Get hype, or ELSE!

----------------------

About Barry O's BBQ Challenge
Overview
American Pinball is proud to announce Barry Oursler's final all-new design, commemorating his illustrious 46-year career in game design. In honor of Barry, we're excited to introduce ‘Barry O’s BBQ Challenge’ - a pinball adventure that captures the essence of summer fun and embodies the spirit of neighborhood BBQ Festivals across America. Available in two delectable editions - Limited and Classic - each game is seasoned to perfection, ready to become the centerpiece of your collection. Commemorating Barry's legacy, the royalties from 'Barry O's BBQ Challenge' will be directed to his estate, supporting his family and continuing his impactful contribution to the world of pinball.

Story & Setting
Crafted with the durability of the finest smokers and featuring vibrant animations, 'Barry O’s BBQ Challenge' promises endless entertainment and joy. This game is a tribute not just to Barry's legacy in pinball design but also to the rich culture of barbecue, making it an essential addition for both pinball enthusiasts and barbecue aficionados.

The development of 'Barry O’s BBQ Challenge' represents a collaborative effort that merges the expertise of seasoned professionals and innovative talents. Steven Bowden spearheaded the creation of the game's complex rules, while Joel Schober and Casey Butler being instrumental in software and engineering and guaranteeing a responsive and engaging gameplay. David Thiel elevated the game's auditory landscape through meticulous sound engineering and the composition of a festive theme soundtrack, complemented by Matt Kern's authentic voice production and his skill at finding amazing voice talent.

Contributions from Steve Bowden, Dennis Nordman and Ryan McQuaid in design assistance played a vital role in refining the game's playfield, creating a compelling and immersive experience. The visual and interactive elements of the game were brought to life under the art direction of Jack Haeger, with Dan Hughes providing the artwork, and animations crafted by Jessica Durbala and Bobby Llereza. The mechanical integrity and design, managed by Zofia Ryan and Mitesh Pithva, along with Benjamin Kibler's project management, ensured the game's seamless operation. Through this collective expertise, 'Barry O’s BBQ Challenge' not only pays homage to Barry Oursler's remarkable legacy but also captures the essence of pinball.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 51 days ago

David Thiel audio package is cool news

#3 51 days ago
tenor (1).giftenor (1).gif
#4 51 days ago

F yeah!

#5 51 days ago

Is this real life? I love barbecue, I contribute to the "What ya smokin" thread with all kinds of pics, but a pinball about grilling?

#6 51 days ago
Quoted from Sandman33:

Is this real life? I love barbecue, I contribute to the "What ya smokin" thread with all kinds of pics, but a pinball about grilling?

As a proud Memphian, barbecue and grilling are not the same thing.

#7 51 days ago

Woohoo can’t wait to flip it at the Allentown show! Great team involved, reasonable pricing, and original theme.

#8 51 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Get hype, or ELSE!
----------------------
About Barry O's BBQ Challenge
Overview
American Pinball is proud to announce Barry Oursler's final all-new design, commemorating his illustrious 46-year career in game design. In honor of Barry, we're excited to introduce ‘Barry O’s BBQ Challenge’ - a pinball adventure that captures the essence of summer fun and embodies the spirit of neighborhood BBQ Festivals across America. Available in two delectable editions - Limited and Classic - each game is seasoned to perfection, ready to become the centerpiece of your collection. Commemorating Barry's legacy, the royalties from 'Barry O's BBQ Challenge' will be directed to his estate, supporting his family and continuing his impactful contribution to the world of pinball.
Story & Setting
Crafted with the durability of the finest smokers and featuring vibrant animations, 'Barry O’s BBQ Challenge' promises endless entertainment and joy. This game is a tribute not just to Barry's legacy in pinball design but also to the rich culture of barbecue, making it an essential addition for both pinball enthusiasts and barbecue aficionados.
The development of 'Barry O’s BBQ Challenge' represents a collaborative effort that merges the expertise of seasoned professionals and innovative talents. Steven Bowden spearheaded the creation of the game's complex rules, while Joel Schober and Casey Butler being instrumental in software and engineering and guaranteeing a responsive and engaging gameplay. David Thiel elevated the game's auditory landscape through meticulous sound engineering and the composition of a festive theme soundtrack, complemented by Matt Kern's authentic voice production and his skill at finding amazing voice talent.
Contributions from Steve Bowden, Dennis Nordman and Ryan McQuaid in design assistance played a vital role in refining the game's playfield, creating a compelling and immersive experience. The visual and interactive elements of the game were brought to life under the art direction of Jack Haeger, with Dan Hughes providing the artwork, and animations crafted by Jessica Durbala and Bobby Llereza. The mechanical integrity and design, managed by Zofia Ryan and Mitesh Pithva, along with Benjamin Kibler's project management, ensured the game's seamless operation. Through this collective expertise, 'Barry O’s BBQ Challenge' not only pays homage to Barry Oursler's remarkable legacy but also captures the essence of pinball.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, cool! Finally Barry O’s AP game? Can’t wait to play it! Is this what he was working on when he passed?

#9 51 days ago

Ooo, I'm putting that apron on the pin quick.

#10 51 days ago

At least they seem to have gotten better at pricing since GTF

#11 51 days ago

Can't figure out if this is real or if AP is trolling us.

#12 51 days ago

Who had this one on their bingo card?

#13 51 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

it's all over their website and online store, so weird flex

https://www.american-pinball.com/games/barry-os-bbq-challenge/

#14 51 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Who had this one on their bingo card?

everyone I think.

#15 51 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

April 1st appears to be... not today. Weird.

#16 51 days ago

I'm somewhere between "I really like this" and "I love this".

- Original theme
- Lessons learned from GTF pricing, adapting to market
- Hometown boy Ryan McQuaid has some real fingerprints on an AP game finally
- Barry O design/tribute
- Bowden on rules

So far, I'm digging this.

#17 51 days ago

Limited Edition is actually a limited number (100) for a change.

#18 51 days ago

Let me get this right, people don't like dialed in, but are excited about this?

#19 51 days ago

For $6995 if it plays well - I think it could sell ok.

I love me some BBQ!

Quoted from bobukcat:

Limited Edition is actually a limited number (100) for a change.

Agreed!

#20 51 days ago

From what little I can see, it's just a Hot Wheels reskin basically.

#21 51 days ago

New design. Look closer.

Quoted from manadams:

From what little I can see, it's just a Hot Wheels reskin basically.

#22 51 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It wasn't pitched as a disaster theme. It was launched as a "hey, look, us old guys know about these smartphones and drones" theme. Once people got around to the fact it was a disaster theme, they laid off some of the hate. But I know people who still think it's just an out of touch attempt to look "hip".

We won't know until full reveal, but this doesn't look to be pandering or anything. It just looks like a good-natured game about BBQ, cool cars, and good times. May as well have Guy Fieri do the callouts. He never did anything to you.

#23 51 days ago

I thought for sure GTF was going to drive them out of business.

So I have no comments nor predictions thus far about this one.

#24 51 days ago

Wow this is really over the top! Lucky folks who get to play this at TPF!

#25 51 days ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#26 51 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Being excited and being willing to plunk down 7-8500 bucks on a game are 2 different things. I'd personally take any Stern pro over what I'm seeing here so far and I freakin love BBQ

#27 51 days ago

Gotta say .. that apron would go great with those lunchboxes!
7k is actually a better price for some to take a leap.
Good luck to AP, sell em’ all paying homage to Barry O!

#28 51 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Dialed In is awesome! I remember people freaking out about it when it came out. Regionally it was quite popular around here

#29 51 days ago
12B8235C-9A2A-4657-9C56-F39021DE0442 (resized).jpeg12B8235C-9A2A-4657-9C56-F39021DE0442 (resized).jpeg3E9E0D35-97C1-4062-9448-8A23B9F5DBE2 (resized).jpeg3E9E0D35-97C1-4062-9448-8A23B9F5DBE2 (resized).jpegB4BA6BAD-08D6-48CF-B71B-FCE3EC5D625B (resized).jpegB4BA6BAD-08D6-48CF-B71B-FCE3EC5D625B (resized).jpeg
#30 51 days ago

Can we see a playfield pic before buying or nah?

#31 51 days ago

Probably get to play it at tpf and the other shows soon.

Quoted from WildRover:

Can we see a playfield pic before buying or nah?

#32 51 days ago

Something different for a theme, & a good food choice! Might be a winner for them. I can see 100 limited ones selling quickly, & priced right.

#33 51 days ago

After more than half a century of pinball, we finally have a BBQ themed game.

#34 51 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Definitely not a troll move or early April fool joke. Their website says a portion of the proceeds from sales are being donated to Barrys estate to help support his family. You don't joke about that kind of thing and survive as a company.

#35 51 days ago

AP, I have always been a fan. This was the best part of your announcement. I applaud you.
Bravo.

"Commemorating Barry's legacy, the royalties from 'Barry O's BBQ Challenge' will be directed to his estate, supporting his family and continuing his impactful contribution to the world of pinball."

#36 51 days ago

Now here's a theme I can relate to!

#37 51 days ago

Pinball Palace says they will have the game on the floor tomorrow to play... presumably other locations will as well.

#38 51 days ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Pinball Palace says they will have the game on the floor tomorrow to play... presumably other locations will as well.

From Knapp Arcade... These places will have game on the floor tomorrow.

#39 51 days ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Definitely not a troll move or early April fool joke. Their website says a portion of the proceeds from sales are being donated to Barrys estate to help support his family. You don't joke about that kind of thing and survive as a company.

Very cool

#40 51 days ago

People say unique theme, but seems in the same vein as Oktoberfest.

The real treat/dig out your ears moment will be when they release... the live action video assets.

#41 51 days ago

Is that a little LCD screen on the playfield? edit: asked this before the full playfield pic was available

#42 51 days ago

Defintely seems like hot wheels. Kind of makes sense to reskin a game if the proceeds are too benefit Barry's estate

image0 (resized).jpgimage0 (resized).jpg
#43 51 days ago

Man, what I would give to see video of an AP meeting where they discuss how they expect this game to turn a profit.

#44 51 days ago

Hot Wheels

#45 51 days ago

Impressive!

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

From Knapp Arcade... These places will have game on the floor tomorrow.
[quoted image]

#46 51 days ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

After more than half a century of pinball, we finally have a BBQ themed game.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre says hello

#47 51 days ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

Hot Wheels
[quoted image]

Yep. Fan layouts tend to look similar

#48 51 days ago

American Pinball's war against vegans continues, first the ice cream and now this.

Game looks cool and I'm considering driving the couple hours up to 8-bit in Renton to try and flip it this weekend.

#49 51 days ago

I'm excited to see gameplay on this. I was excited for GTF too, but the price is too high. Stern Pro pricing on this is good.

#50 51 days ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yes. BBQ > Cell Phones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, ME
$ 8,495.00
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.00
There are 1,114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.