Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Star Wars (resized).png
Lethal Weapon 3 (resized).png
Lethal Weapon 3 (resized).png
Hook (resized).png
Jurassic Park (resized).png
_20231208_205316 (resized).JPG
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 65 days ago

Right on!!

#52 65 days ago

Downloaded the Zip for JP and for anyone else whos curious Window's media player does play the FLAC files.

@Crash, thank you! I have a lower end sound bar here at work and the files sound great.

Would your method of extracting the music also work for call outs?

Your CD's sound great and this does go hand in hand with Pinsound. To get that nice updated full stereo sound with all the original sound files would be killer!

#53 64 days ago

These are FLAC files. You can convert them with ffmpeg in a single command:

for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i "${f}" -vn -c:a pcm_s16le -ar 48000 "${f%.*}_flac-to.wav" ; done

I believe that's for Command Prompt or Powershell on Windows. I can't test it since I run Linux. Also, for Lethal Weapon 3, at least one file in there has a 44100Hz sample rate, not 48000Hz. I would double check the file properties for that game on your end since I can't remember. Just adjust that number in the command to reflect the source file sample rate. All the other games should be 48000Hz. Lethal Weapon 3 is different since I had to source some audio from PinMAME instead of M1.

#54 64 days ago

Crash: thank you for your uploads, this is a super cool initiative. Also, your archive.org archive is filled with all sorts of goodies. Here is my archive account, lots of random things: https://archive.org/details/cait001
You might not see this since I'm on ignore, but just in case you browse this thread while logged out.
This is an excellent effort and I'm looking forward to TFTC.

#55 60 days ago
Quoted from cait001:

Crash: thank you for your uploads, this is a super cool initiative. Also, your archive.org archive is filled with all sorts of goodies. Here is my archive account, lots of random things: https://archive.org/details/@cait001
You might not see this since I'm on ignore, but just in case you browse this thread while logged out.
This is an excellent effort and I'm looking forward to TFTC.

Cool!

#56 59 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Downloaded the Zip for JP and for anyone else whos curious Window's media player does play the FLAC files.
@Crash, thank you! I have a lower end sound bar here at work and the files sound great.
Would your method of extracting the music also work for call outs?
Your CD's sound great and this does go hand in hand with Pinsound. To get that nice updated full stereo sound with all the original sound files would be killer!

I'm sorry, I didn't see your other question. Yes. Anyone can download the M1 emulator, configure it, and record sound effects and voices as well. These can also be ripped a from the ROMs directly but the BSMT2000 chip does some interpolation to improve the quality of the sound.

#57 59 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm sorry, I didn't see your other question. Yes. Anyone can download the M1 emulator, configure it, and record sound effects and voices as well. These can also be ripped a from the ROMs directly but the BSMT2000 chip does some interpolation to improve the quality of the sound.

Thank you Crash

One last question and I apologize for my ignorance. What equipment are you using to read the ROM?

I love what you did with the DE music. It really elevates the sound experience and I'd like to get that clarity with all the sound files on a DE Rocky and Bullwinkle. I'd like to get all the sounds off the ROM, put them in stereo and use it with a Pinsound Sound board. If that goes well DE has a lot of great titles that could use a sound upgrade.

Appreciate it!

#58 59 days ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Thank you Crash
One last question and I apologize for my ignorance. What equipment are you using to read the ROM?
I love what you did with the DE music. It really elevates the sound experience and I'd like to get that clarity with all the sound files on a DE Rocky and Bullwinkle. I'd like to get all the sounds off the ROM, put them in stereo and use it with a Pinsound Sound board. If that goes well DE has a lot of great titles that could use a sound upgrade.
Appreciate it!

M1 is a software emulator, it uses ROM image files. These can be downloaded from each game's IPDB.org page. Unfortunately you will not get anywhere near the fidelity with voices and sound effects. Every sample used for musical instruments uses a much higher rate, thus higher fidelity. And both channels of stereo music are rendered at a sample rate somewhere between 24kHz and 34kHz. Sound effects and voices uses an 8kHz rate which is phone line quality.

That being said, one can easily use the PinSound sound board system to replace these with CD quality 44.1kHz uncompressed files. So many voices in Jurassic Park for example can be filtered from the movie and mastered in much better quality. Custom speech cannot, obviously.

#59 59 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

M1 is a software emulator, it uses ROM image files. These can be downloaded from each game's IPDB.org page. Unfortunately you will not get anywhere near the fidelity with voices and sound effects. Every sample used for musical instruments uses a much higher rate, thus higher fidelity. And both channels of stereo music are rendered at a sample rate somewhere between 24kHz and 34kHz. Sound effects and voices uses an 8kHz rate which is phone line quality.

That being said, one can easily use the PinSound sound board system to replace these with CD quality 44.1kHz uncompressed files. So many voices in Jurassic Park for example can be filtered from the movie and mastered in much better quality. Custom speech cannot, obviously.

I have a Pinsound board ina DE JP and with EndProdukt's modified sound package it does sound great.

I was hoping to increase the fidelity of the original sound files and effects over the orginal quality for the R&B. But it sounds like that's not possible.

But I did find 5GB of R&B sound effects and sound clips so the idea of creating a better sounding package for Pinsound may still be possible.

Thanks again Crash.

#60 59 days ago

Yeah, what's there is there and there's no way to improve upon it without using "enhancement" software which often makes it sound worse since you're creating new information by guessing. Using sound effect packs is a good resource, also a good idea to find sound effect CD libraries on archive.org from around the same time period since obviously none of these companies recorded their own effects. Or games from the PS2 era or later that may have quality voices by the same actors. Maybe even the original PlayStation or N64, or a PC game.

#62 59 days ago

Very nice. Looks like someone may have combed some royalty free sound libraries and included ones commonly used in R&B. They are even in lossless WAV format.

#63 59 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

Very nice. Looks like someone may have combed some royalty free sound libraries and included ones commonly used in R&B. They are even in lossless WAV format.

Exactly!!! Eye's popped out when I saw it and they are in WAV format so ready for Pinsound.

I don't want to change the R&B stock sounds at all, just improve the sound quality of what's in the game.

Now the downside is, it's a huge crap ton of sound files to go through in hopes of finding a match for everything.

Those sounds and then the music files you did in stereo would sound so much better!

That's the problem with the DE JP and the Pinsound, it sounds great.

The R&B right next to it sounds more like an AM radio in comparison.

#64 59 days ago

Rocky and Bullwinkle is not on my list. It does take a lot of time to do these. But, feel free to check out that tutorial video and record the music yourself. That's all I do, nothing fancy.

#65 58 days ago

I took a brief look at the Jurassic Park rail shooter arcade game and Sega CD point and click game. Both have speech but no actual lines from the movie. The best one could hope for there are higher quality sound effects. Not really seeing anything else prior to games for the sequel film, as real time audio in the early 90s was still considered advanced.

4 weeks later
#66 28 days ago

Just an update, Tales from the Crypt is giving me some weird emulation issues with M1 (go figure). Am making slow progress. Will have more to report soon.

#67 23 days ago

M1's playback of tracks 9, 14, and 28 are corrupted beyond my ability to correct for them and they won't be included in my release. Fortunately, I don't think any of these tracks are used. At least, I've never heard them playing Tales from the Crypt for many years. All others are 95% accurate. There are minor differences in one or two others where a few select notes are not sustained properly. Those affected tracks I had to modify the ROM for to silence some voices and sound effects.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-want-data-east-audio-cds/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.