Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Star Wars (resized).png
Lethal Weapon 3 (resized).png
Lethal Weapon 3 (resized).png
Hook (resized).png
Jurassic Park (resized).png
_20231208_205316 (resized).JPG
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 months ago

I'm setting up a hi-fi system and I'm going to make a few CDs of some Data East soundtracks. Like some unofficial OSTs. Not all of them, just a handful I enjoy. This is before Sega decided to cut out Brian Schmidt's stereo BSMT2000 chip and reduce the sound down to one channel. His FM synth work from 1992 to 1995 is just incredible, with a unique soundfont that is distinctly "Data East Pinball" when you hear it.

When I get done, if anyone wants BIN/CUE file sets so they can burn their own let me know. I can share the Archive.org links.

Hook
Jurassic Park
Lethal Weapon 3
Star Wars
Tales from the Crypt

https://archive.org/details/hook-pinball-ost-audio-cd
Hook (resized).pngHook (resized).png
https://archive.org/details/jurassic-park-pinball-ost-audio-cd
Jurassic Park (resized).pngJurassic Park (resized).png
https://archive.org/details/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-ost-audio-cd

Lethal Weapon 3 (resized).pngLethal Weapon 3 (resized).png
#2 6 months ago

I'm interested...

#3 6 months ago

Definitely! Thank you

#5 6 months ago

What's a CD?

#7 6 months ago

I'd love the links when completed-

Thank you-

#8 6 months ago

What's a BSMT2000?

#9 6 months ago

That would be cool!

#10 6 months ago

I find using the M1 arcade sound board emulator is best for this sort of thing. It basically steps through each music command and can also let you play hidden tracks.

#11 6 months ago

Oh yeah, that would be cool!

#12 6 months ago

Following. Just got hit with a wave of memories when reading “bin/cue”.

#13 6 months ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Following. Just got hit with a wave of memories when reading “bin/cue”.

Limewire, Windows Media Player, BitTorrent...

#14 6 months ago

Someone was selling CDs with all the system 11 music and data east music on CD at the Allentown show direct ripped from the roms...

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Someone was selling CDs with all the system 11 music and data east music on CD at the Allentown show direct ripped from the roms...

Oh I'm sure that was legal...

#16 6 months ago

Missing TMNT, but otherwise these would be fun to have around to play when Im feeling nostalgic (which is pretty much always).

#17 6 months ago

Id be interested. Does BTTF have bsmt2000? Its got some great tunes on there too!

#18 6 months ago

Awesome work!

#19 6 months ago

I’m interested. Thanks for doing this.

#20 6 months ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Missing TMNT, but otherwise these would be fun to have around to play when Im feeling nostalgic (which is pretty much always).

I didn't play that game so that's why it's not on the list.

Quoted from Boat:

Id be interested. Does BTTF have bsmt2000? Its got some great tunes on there too!

I guess it does, but I haven't played it so it's not my list.

https://handwiki.org/wiki/Engineering:BSMT2000

It's going to take some time to dump, edit, and master WAV files from M1 to a CD for each game. So my list is going to be limited to those 5 games.

#21 6 months ago

That would be sick. Love the DE sounds

#22 6 months ago

Found this in a 2004 interview:

Q: Describe how you produced the music for the games and what equipment you may have used.

A: Actually, I wrote music the old fashioned way—on music paper with pencil (and eraser). Then, I’d transcribe it by hand into computer text files that the pinball music system (or video game system) could read. When I started doing other work, I’d just use a simple keyboard controller (Ensoniq VFX) for working out compositions, but I’d generally have a ‘real’ keyboard player come in to lay down tracks. I’d do the bass parts, though

Q: How would you compare the Williams sound systems to that of other manufacturers such as Data East?

A: DCS was a great system, though it traded interactivity for production quality. I can argue both sides of this one.. whether it’s better to have higher (production) quality music, studio recorded, but not be as interactive with the game, or to have a lower production quality (i.e. on the fly synthesized music), but have it be a lot more interactive. So it was just two different approaches. I also liked that we could generally get more music into the games.. I think most DE pins had a good 25 minutes or so of music, by the time you add up all the timers, modes, etc.

Q: What does BSMT really stand for and were there any pinball sound breakthroughs with this system?

A:Ok.. It was “Brian Schmidt’s Mouse Trap”.. I forgot who said “invent a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door”. At the time it was (I think) the first arcade/pinball sound chip that did waveform playback instead of FM synthesis. A whopping 11 voices at 24kHz…woo hoo!

#23 6 months ago

I'd love to have this link as well. Big fan of the DE series...

#24 6 months ago

These would be very cool to have preserved! I love LW3’s OST in particular

#25 6 months ago

Definitely interested. Sign me up.

#26 6 months ago

Yes please

4 weeks later
#29 5 months ago

I just downloaded it, I’ll try to burn it this weekend…. Gotta dig out the cdrs and disc drive!!

#30 5 months ago

Seems legit...

_20231208_205316 (resized).JPG_20231208_205316 (resized).JPG
#31 5 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I just downloaded it, I’ll try to burn it this weekend…. Gotta dig out the cdrs and disc drive!!

Did it work? Older players may not read CD-Rs. But anything made after the mid-90s should.

#32 4 months ago

Not exactly 65 million years in the making:

https://archive.org/details/jurassic-park-pinball-ost-audio-cd

#33 4 months ago

I was unable to burn Jurrasic Park using Image Burn, no issues with Unbuntu with Brasero.

#34 4 months ago

I didn't test using ImgBurn, I mastered the files with Brasero on Linux Mint. Maybe ImgBurn doesn't like something about the cue sheet. It's standard.

#35 4 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

I didn't test using ImgBurn, I mastered the files with Brasero on Linux Mint. Maybe ImgBurn doesn't like something about the cue sheet. It's standard.

In the cue file it is tagged as a Motorola file, in image burn its marked as a binary file. I took an audio CD and ripped it so I could compare the files.

#36 4 months ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

In the cue file it is tagged as a Motorola file, in image burn its marked as a binary file. I took an audio CD and ripped it so I could compare the files.

What the heck... this has been an issue with Brasero for over a decade:

https://forum.daemon-tools.cc/forum/daemon-tools-support/technical-questions/23240-

I'll pull the bad cue sheets and replace "MOTOROLA" with "WAVE" then. Thanks for pointing that out.

https://captainrookie.com/cue-sheet-syntax/

BINARY – Intel binary file (least significant byte first)
MOTOROLA – Motorola binary file (most significant byte first)
AIFF – Audio AIFF file
WAVE – Audio WAVE file
MP3 – Audio MP3 file

#37 4 months ago

Try burning it now. I did away with the ZIP files and just have the BIN and CUE files.

#38 4 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

Try burning it now. I did away with the ZIP files and just have the BIN and CUE files.

I'll give it a go after work tonight.

#39 4 months ago

Brasero is utterly stupid when it comes to audio CDs. The worst. Now that I have fixed the cue sheet to specify the correct data type, it refuses to burn the image. The only way I can get it to work is to change WAVE back to MOTOROLA.

#40 4 months ago

How about ripping or converting the files to flac?

Then we can burn our own lossless cd discs, or convert the files to any format on our own .

#41 4 months ago

Because I'm burning CDs for myself. Feel free to mount and rip the tracks to FLAC files if you want.

1 week later
#42 4 months ago

https://archive.org/details/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-ost-audio-cd

Lethal Weapon 3 was a challenge because the Sweat pre-launch and main loop tracks were not accessible in the M1 emulator. This means I had to resort to using PinMAME. Visual Pinball does not run on Wine Staging on Linux due to a bug. And I didn't want to mess up my Wine installation changing versions. Also, using a Windows VM is not an option because Visual Pinball requires DirectX 9 for hardware acceleration. This meant I had to learn how to simulate blind switch inputs, reference the switch matrix, and memorize some row and column hotkeys. This was necessary to run the live game in real time, put 3 balls in the trough, and press start. This allowed me to record the pre-launch sequence, but there's another problem. There are 2 sound effects that need to be isolated, the cowbell used for the "jingle" sound effect during the skill shot and Danny Glover's laugh after the music selection screen times out.

The cowbell I was able to silence by editing lw3u17.dat in a hex editor and zeroing out the sample. Danny's laugh though I had to splice in another part of the pre-launch loop to replace entirely. That voice is part of the proprietary ADPCM format, and trying to silence that out manually in the ROM doesn't end well.

That covers the pre-launch. For Sweat's main loop, I had to launch and stick a ball. I ended up locking on one of the standup target switches to achieve this. After waiting for the ball searches to end, I was finally able to record the main loop and composite the pre-launch and main loop into a single track like the other 2 songs.

These workarounds took me a couple of days to figure out, but it was well worth the effort! On another note, I've updated the cue sheet to specify "BINARY" as the file type. I had no issues burning this with Brasero on Linux. If someone can test with ImgBurn on Windows to confirm that works for Lethal Weapon 3, that would be great. Then I'll update the cue sheets for the other games.
Lethal Weapon 3 (resized).pngLethal Weapon 3 (resized).png

#43 4 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

How about ripping or converting the files to flac?
Then we can burn our own lossless cd discs, or convert the files to any format on our own .

Turns out it can be done in a single command, so I included ZIP files in each Internet Archive item with FLAC files inside.

1 month later
#44 83 days ago

Lasers in space, or at least in your CD player.

https://archive.org/details/star-wars-pinball-ost-audio-cd

Star Wars (resized).pngStar Wars (resized).png
#45 83 days ago

This is rad

I hope you consider WWF…and Ill say what everyone else is thinking: Maverick

#46 82 days ago

Thank you! I've been running the PinSound mix from jedimastermatt for so long, I almost didn't recognize the original soundtrack

2 weeks later
#47 66 days ago

Great work Crash Someone should make pinsound mixes with these if they haven't already. So much better to listen to than the mono versions.

#48 66 days ago

Dope. Thank you

#49 66 days ago

Great work here

#50 66 days ago
Quoted from BradyScribbles:

Great work Crash Someone should make pinsound mixes with these if they haven't already. So much better to listen to than the mono versions.

I may if it's feasible.

I have Pinsound in JP. The original sound file posted on Pinsounds website for JP sounds like the original, low quality sounds. Why on earth pay that much for the same sound quality? The other user created sound packs for JP use nice stereo quality WAV files and sound great.

I haven't downloaded Crash's zip file yet for JP, what format are they? If needed, is there a free file conversion program to get them into a WAV format needed for Pinsound?

Pinsound is also doing a lousy job at recreating the original sound files as they were. There are several people nowpointing out sounds that are missing altogther.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Blaine, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-want-data-east-audio-cds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.