IMG_8283 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8242 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8213 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8220 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5700 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8193 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5685 (resized).jpeg
There are 6,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 122.
#6001 18 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Is it full size packs or the 5-smoke packs like they used in MREs?

Full size, but cigarettes back then were $.15 or two packs for a quarter.

#6002 18 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

We need to plan another Discord Herf. Maybe this time cshelden and I can sit down and smoke a cigar in person.

I’ll just invite myself. Done. Invited.

#6003 18 days ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

I’ll just invite myself. Done. Invited.

Really? You gonna fuck around and find out with me? Dick. When we gonna sit down and smoke a cigar together? We need to talk anyways…I’m on the AMOA membership committee (for some reason, they have allowed me to be on the board of directors) and you sir, for some reason are not a member. Neither is your Neanderthal of a brother in law.

#6004 18 days ago

PlanetExpress and Rush1169 y'all are the resident Habanos experts…have either of you ever smoked an OG Fonseca?

#6005 18 days ago

I enjoyed this smoke yesterday afternoon, medium-full, burned evenly, big smoke, nice flavor.
La Galera Maduro from the DR.
I bought it in Budapest last October, had never heard of it but I'm a sucker for beautiful bands.
The cellophane also has an interesting warning. Can anyone translate the Hungarian?

20240410_171334 (resized).jpg20240410_171334 (resized).jpg20240410_171612 (resized).jpg20240410_171612 (resized).jpg20240410_171650 (resized).jpg20240410_171650 (resized).jpg
#6006 17 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Really? You gonna fuck around and find out with me? Dick. When we gonna sit down and smoke a cigar together? We need to talk anyways…I’m on the AMOA membership committee (for some reason, they have allowed me to be on the board of directors) and you sir, for some reason are not a member. Neither is your Neanderthal of a brother in law.

I would never join a club that would have a member like me.

#6007 17 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

PlanetExpress and Rush1169 y'all are the resident Habanos experts…have either of you ever smoked an OG Fonseca?

I have a few Fonseca No. 1s in the humidor still. It’s a good classy mild smoke, but nowhere worth the current prices. For a similar cream/wood/salt profile, I’d go with the Sancho Panza Non-Plus any day. Back when Fonseca’s were cheap’ish, it was the cigar I’d bring to events where non-smokers were likely to want to try a cigar. Certainly an enjoyable cigar, just not on my “must have” list.

#6008 17 days ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

I would never join a club that would have a member like me.

Maybe we need your voice, opinions and insight…you’re smarter than you look!

#6009 17 days ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

I have a few Fonseca No. 1s in the humidor still. It’s a good classy mild smoke, but nowhere worth the current prices. For a similar cream/wood/salt profile, I’d go with the Sancho Panza Non-Plus any day. Back when Fonseca’s were cheap’ish, it was the cigar I’d bring to events where non-smokers were likely to want to try a cigar. Certainly an enjoyable cigar, just not on my “must have” list.

Have you tried the MF Fonseca? Everyone knows I’m a big fan of all things Pepin makes and the MF Fonseca is no exception. I don’t buy them by the box because I can blow through a box in a week

#6010 17 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Have you tried the MF Fonseca? Everyone knows I’m a big fan of all things Pepin makes and the MF Fonseca is no exception. I don’t buy them by the box because I can blow through a box in a week

Never tried the MF version, but none of the non-Cuban knockoffs of Cuban brands even try to do anything reminiscent of the Cuban flavor profiles. All the Cuban brands are of course owned by the government, so there is really just one brand, but they use the brands to distinguish flavor profiles, where all (ok, almost all) the sticks in a brand have a similar core of flavors.

#6011 17 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Are they the ones wrapped individually in white foam rubber sheets? Man, I remember having some around 2005 - I’m sure I have at least one somewhere deep stashed, but I recall I had no love for them at all.

#6012 17 days ago

Had this pointy devil at our monthly Lunch Cigar Extravaganza. (...and a Cuban Cuaba)

IMG_1310 (resized).jpgIMG_1310 (resized).jpg
#6013 17 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I knew a kid named Fonseca, and his mom had a sweet rack…

#6015 17 days ago

Can’t help myself. Cigar names bring up good memories. Don’t get me started on the AF Sophisticated Hooker

#6016 17 days ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Are they the ones wrapped individually in white foam rubber sheets? Man, I remember having some around 2005 - I’m sure I have at least one somewhere deep stashed, but I recall I had no love for them at all.

Since I didn’t know the mom with the great rack, the packaging is the one interesting thing about Fonseca for me…. They have made the same cigar in the same weird tissue paper wrapper since ~1900. It’s kind of cool that Mr. Fonseca said “I found a miraculous new way to preserve cigar freshness!” and nobody gave a shit, but the company has kept it up for over a century.

#6017 17 days ago

Never tried the MF version, but none of the non-Cuban knockoffs of Cuban brands even try to do anything reminiscent of the Cuban flavor profiles. All the Cuban brands are of course owned by the government, so there is really just one brand, but they use the brands to distinguish flavor profiles, where all (ok, almost all) the sticks in a brand have a similar core of flavors.

While I have no basis for comparison for the Cuban Fonseca, I will tell you I think your enjoy the MF Fonseca. Both my pallet and knowledge are neither close to the levels of discerning and experience as yours, but if I were to compare the MF Fonseca to a Cuban based off memory, I’d go with the H. Upmann
No 2. Just elegant, straightforward and light. I really do think you’d enjoy it. When I ship your DE boards back, I’ll toss one in with the box I found for you when a local shop went out of business this winter. (Hint, it’s a box in your favorite vitola)

#6018 17 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

While I have no basis for comparison for the Cuban Fonseca, I will tell you I think your enjoy the MF Fonseca. Both my pallet and knowledge are neither close to the levels of discerning and experience as yours, but if I were to compare the MF Fonseca to a Cuban based off memory, I’d go with the H. Upmann
No 2. Just elegant, straightforward and light. I really do think you’d enjoy it. When I ship your DE boards back, I’ll toss one in with the box I found for you when a local shop went out of business this winter. (Hint, it’s a box in your favorite vitola)

Sweet! I’ll dig up an OG one for you to compare.

#6019 16 days ago

Sweet! I’ll dig up an OG one for you to compare.

You do the side by side and report to us. You have the better pallet than I

#6020 16 days ago
IMG_8110 (resized).jpegIMG_8110 (resized).jpegIMG_8111 (resized).jpegIMG_8111 (resized).jpeg
#6021 16 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Can’t go wrong with that one

#6022 16 days ago

Fonseca cigars have always been way too mild for me.....

#6023 14 days ago
IMG_2034 (resized).jpegIMG_2034 (resized).jpeg
#6024 14 days ago

Got this from Ryan awhile ago so long ago I had to ask to make sure! Well worth the wait! Protocol’s John Doe 3.0

IMG_8138 (resized).jpegIMG_8138 (resized).jpeg
#6025 14 days ago

Forester and Padron always pair well-regardless of the offerings of either!

#6026 14 days ago
Quoted from EJS:

Got this from Ryan awhile ago so long ago I had to ask to make sure! Well worth the wait! Protocol’s John Doe 3.0
[quoted image]

It’s a shame that what’s left at purohouse is all there will ever be…hard to beat for the money.

#6027 13 days ago

Oh wow. I’m 472 posts behind. First cigar of the year on Saturday. No pic but my go to Avo Syncro Ritmo Toro - been sitting since December. Just great. Loving the nicer weather coming into the south. More cigars to come and more weeknight smokes. Should have been tonight but oh well

#6028 13 days ago

Pretty good deal on Undercrowns if you ask me

https://www.cigarpage.com/live-and-direct-liga.html

#6029 11 days ago

Latest...

IMG_1328 (resized).jpgIMG_1328 (resized).jpgIMG_1333 (resized).jpgIMG_1333 (resized).jpgIMG_1334 (resized).jpgIMG_1334 (resized).jpgIMG_1335 (resized).jpgIMG_1335 (resized).jpgIMG_1336 (resized).jpgIMG_1336 (resized).jpgIMG_1348 (resized).jpgIMG_1348 (resized).jpg
#6030 11 days ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Latest...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn Ted, you dropped some major coin on Fuente!

#6031 11 days ago

They wanted 2K and had 2....I told them to do a raffle because almost nobody would drop 2K.....

#6032 11 days ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Latest...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa! Nice pick up there!

#6033 11 days ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They wanted 2K and had 2....I told them to do a raffle because almost nobody would drop 2K.....

And you bought one or won it? I mean, what’s the odds of you winning the top prize in a raffle which you suggested to happen?

#6034 11 days ago

On deck for tonight. I’m breaking into my “Vistor’s stash” since my truck registration was due, I got new tires, and I bought a new pin within 2 weeks of each other

Good news is these have about a year on them and are smoking great for budget sticks. RP’s construction is always lackluster though.

IMG_5685 (resized).jpegIMG_5685 (resized).jpeg
#6035 11 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

On deck for tonight. I’m breaking into my “Vistor’s stash” since my truck registration was due, I got new tires, and I bought a new pin within 2 weeks of each other
Good news is these have about a year on them and are smoking great for budget sticks. RP’s construction is always lackluster though.
[quoted image]

Edges used to be one of the best values out there but yeah they haven’t been the same recently. I went with the less exciting route last night too but still hit the spot for me

IMG_8193 (resized).jpegIMG_8193 (resized).jpeg
#6036 10 days ago

Today’s Budget stick. I enjoy CAO stuff more than I can remember. Unfortunately this one doesn’t remind me of any tremendous racks.

IMG_5700 (resized).jpegIMG_5700 (resized).jpeg

#6037 10 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Today’s Budget stick. I enjoy CAO stuff more than I can remember. Unfortunately this one doesn’t remind me of any tremendous racks.
[quoted image]

Try a CAO Amazon (if you can find it). Trust me-I’m a pinball doctor.

#6038 9 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Try a CAO Amazon (if you can find it). Trust me-I’m a pinball doctor.

This is where I then recommend the Illusione Rothschilds

#6039 9 days ago

This is where I then recommend the Illusione Rothschilds

I honestly can’t think of a better value cigar than the Illusione Rothschild. Ever since you sent me that first one, I’ve been on a bender smoking them. I go through a cabinet every two months or so.

#6040 7 days ago

I’m a little behind from this weekend

IMG_8213 (resized).jpegIMG_8213 (resized).jpegIMG_8220 (resized).jpegIMG_8220 (resized).jpeg
#6041 7 days ago

Finally tonight…can’t remember my last Oliva

IMG_8242 (resized).jpegIMG_8242 (resized).jpeg
#6042 4 days ago

Picked up this Padron over the weekend at Indycar. A booth was selling marked up sticks, but not too bad considering. Didn’t get the chance to smoke it there, so now that it’s lit, I don’t think it tastes like $18 lol. Not too much flavor here despite some amazing aromas, lit and unlit. Still getting that silky smooth smoke that’s come to be expected with Padron in my experience.

I need to try more of the higher end Padrons, but it’s hard when there’s Ligas and Opus’ next to them at my local shop.

IMG_5758 (resized).jpegIMG_5758 (resized).jpeg

#6043 4 days ago
Quoted from nickrivers:

Picked up this Padron over the weekend at Indycar. A booth was selling marked up sticks, but not too bad considering. Didn’t get the chance to smoke it there, so now that it’s lit, I don’t think it tastes like $18 lol. Not too much flavor here despite some amazing aromas, lit and unlit. Still getting that silky smooth smoke that’s come to be expected with Padron in my experience.
I need to try more of the higher end Padrons, but it’s hard when there’s Ligas and Opus’ next to them at my local shop.
[quoted image]

The Padron x000 series is on average $8.50. I’m sure that your state has some higher than average state tobacco taxes (here it’s $0.12 per cigar).

To me, Liga and most Opus aren’t on the same level as a Padron 64. The 26’s are fine, but they’re just not as relaxing to me as a 64. I know some people will disagree about my opinion regarding Opus, but I honestly think that if they were readily available everywhere all the time, they’d just be another Fuente (and keep in mind, I probably have 200-300 Opus X in my humidor). I’ve never thought of Liga as an “A” tier cigar. They’re a strong/upper level B. Give me Sin Compromiso any day over Liga or Opus

#6044 4 days ago

Speaking of Padron and Liga, my neighbors are getting married this evening. My kids are helping the bride with the last minute touches. I gave the groom and his crew a box of Liga Year of the Rat. My dilemma is this…I put both a Padron 80th Grand Belicoso and a Cohiba Pyramides Extra in my jacket pocket. Which do I smoke?

#6046 4 days ago

That’s about 4 hours smoke time to anyone other than me and only about $200 worth of tobacco at todays prices!

#6047 4 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Speaking of Padron and Liga, my neighbors are getting married this evening. My kids are helping the bride with the last minute touches. I gave the groom and his crew a box of Liga Year of the Rat. My dilemma is this…I put both a Padron 80th Grand Belicoso and a Cohiba Pyramides Extra in my jacket pocket. Which do I smoke?

If you have a perfect draw poker in your other pocket, smoke the PE. If not, smoke the Padron. Padron there are 1 in 1 odds that it is rolled perfectly and has a perfect draw. PE there are 1 in 10 odds that it isn’t plugged.

A PE is one of, if not the best cigar experience I’ve ever had, but you can count on almost every cigar having draw issues you need to correct.

#6048 4 days ago

If you have a perfect draw poker in your other pocket, smoke the PE. If not, smoke the Padron. Padron there are 1 in 1 odds that it is rolled perfectly and has a perfect draw. PE there are 1 in 10 odds that it isn’t plugged.
A PE is one of, if not the best cigar experience I’ve ever had, but you can count on almost every cigar having draw issues you need to correct.

Really? I figured grabbing a Figurado was my best choice to keep from having draw issues, as they tend to be rolled by only the most skilled rollers in the factory. When I think about it, the most perfect smoking cigars I’ve ever had have been Padron figurados…

#6049 4 days ago

Wait, a good drawing PE smokes better than a Trinidad Esmeralda? Because honestly, i had written off Cubans entirely until you sent me the Esmeralda. Best Habanos I’ve ever smoked. Ya, better than a Cuban Davidoff

#6050 4 days ago

Haven’t had a pickup in a long time!

IMG_8283 (resized).jpegIMG_8283 (resized).jpeg
There are 6,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 121 of 122.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-of-you-guys-and-gals-cigar-smokers/page/121 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.