• Latest reply 14 days ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240426-213658 (resized).png
20240426_185458.jpg
20240426_153028 (resized).jpg
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 15 days ago

Not really influential but very entertaining
1- A Confederacy of Dunces
By John Kennedy Toole
2- The Fountainhead
By Ayn Rand
3- Into The Wild
By Chris McCandless

#52 15 days ago

First three that came to mind….

American Psycho
Catch-22
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

#53 15 days ago

The Catcher in the Rye
The Shining
LotR

#54 15 days ago
Quoted from Theganch:

I liked this one as well. I met one of the authors, Danny Sugerman and had him sign a paperback copy for me.
Have you read the biography he wrote on his adventures?
If not, check out Wonderland Avenue : Tales of Glamour and Excess. An incredible book.
He did a university tour, about the time The Doors movie came out….to hear him read excerpts from this made me know I had to read it.

Wonderland Avenue now on my list. Thanks!

#55 15 days ago
Quoted from Stikpin:

3- Into The Wild
By Chris McCandless

Excellent book by Jon Krakaeur. I’ve enjoyed everything he has written. While looking this up to see if in fact there was anything published by Chris McCandless I did find “Back to the Wild” which is a collection of his writing and pictures. I’ll have to check that out too.

#56 15 days ago

Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut is a lesser known book in the vein of 1984 and Brave New World. Written in 1952, about a society where technology has advanced so far that most human beings have lost purpose and what that does to society. Gee, relevant?

#57 15 days ago

Ordinary Grace
The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
Kite Runner

#58 15 days ago

Great recommendations here!
Series:
-Dungeon Crawler Carl (important note: Audible version)
-Orphan X

Stand alone reads:
-The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August
-A Gift of Time

#59 15 days ago

For the brain: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

For the soul: Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

For fun: ‘Salems Lot* by Stephen King

*Or anything pre-1987 Stephen King

#60 14 days ago
Quoted from Stikpin:

3- Into The Wild
By Chris McCandless

Darnit I already went but this is also a top 3 for me Love the film as well. There are days of frustration in the office where I envy the bravery, spiri, and perspective that McCandless had and fantasize about following in his footsteps (well, not the Alaska part). But then I remember that if I keep working I can get more pinball machines and my pugs have to eat, so gotta keep those paychecks rolling in.

#61 14 days ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Excellent book by Jon Krakaeur. I’ve enjoyed everything he has written. While looking this up to see if in fact there was anything published by Chris McCandless I did find “Back to the Wild” which is a collection of his writing and pictures. I’ll have to check that out too.

Thank you for fixing my error. Completely forgot Krakauer was the author. “Into thin Air” was another good Krakauer book.

#62 14 days ago

Fantasy: “The Name of the Wind” by Patrick Rothfuss

Literary: “As I Lay Dying” by Faulkner, “The Crossing” part of The Border series by Cormac McCarthy, anything by Steinbeck

SciFi: “The Stars my Destination” by Alfred Bester

#63 14 days ago

For me the Game of Thrones books are all excellent and I really enjoy listening to them while I drive. Couple others I listen to probably once a year:

How to Win Friends and Influence People- Also the references to 1936 culture is an interesting time stamp with general practices not to be a selfish jackwagon. Not perfect but kind of a good reminder
Millionaire Next Door- After I buy multiple pins usually listen to it again

#64 14 days ago

I read the Bible more than any other book.
Hebrews, James, and Matthew are probably my favorites there.

My favorite author by far is Ray Bradbury, so I’ll go with:
1. The October Country (What a fantastic collection of short stories)
2. Something Wicked This Way Comes
3. Fahrenheit 451

I also love Tolkien. I could have picked the Lord of the Rings series, but I think I enjoy reading the Hobbit a little more.

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/your-top-3-books-recommended-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.