Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3 (resized).png
#1 74 days ago

On my Fish Tales. Any ideas?

#2 74 days ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

On my Fish Tales. Any ideas?

They work in the coil test or they work with the flipper buttons in test mode?

Go to switch test and see if your flipper buttons are registering

#3 73 days ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

They work in the coil test or they work with the flipper buttons in test mode?
Go to switch test and see if your flipper buttons are registering

They were working with the flipper buttons in test mode.

Since my OP, I removed the "piggy back" off of J116 supplying power to my lit speaker panel, and ever since I've done that, the flippers now work normally. I think maybe the addition of the lit speaker panel, along with also supplying power to the color display, may be too much for this PDB to handle? Just guessing on that. Now, on to troubleshooting no sound, which also happened at the same time as dead flippers!!! UGHHH!!!

#4 73 days ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

They were working with the flipper buttons in test mode.
Since my OP, I removed the "piggy back" off of J116 supplying power to my lit speaker panel, and ever since I've done that, the flippers now work normally. I think maybe the addition of the lit speaker panel, along with also supplying power to the color display, may be too much for this PDB to handle? Just guessing on that. Now, on to troubleshooting no sound, which also happened at the same time as dead flippers!!! UGHHH!!!

What is happening is that your mods are causing your 12v power supply to sag and no longer provide enough power to your flipper opto boards for the opto's to work correctly.

Sound problem might just be a coincidence. Check the connections at the sound board for the speakers and at each speaker. The speakers are daisy chained so a break anywhere along the line = no sound.

#5 69 days ago

Here is the latest on this Fish Tales. Still no flippers or sound. I have found that i have the 5 and 12 volts going to the Fliptronic II board, power going through the fuses, but no power on the output pins that should be feeding power to the coils. I see the Fliptronic II board has had a previous repair because the bridge rectifier says "replaced 5-6-19" on it. Thinking I should start there? I looked it up in the manual and the op manual doesn't show the spec of the BR.

#6 68 days ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

Here is the latest on this Fish Tales. Still no flippers or sound. I have found that i have the 5 and 12 volts going to the Fliptronic II board, power going through the fuses, but no power on the output pins that should be feeding power to the coils. I see the Fliptronic II board has had a previous repair because the bridge rectifier says "replaced 5-6-19" on it. Thinking I should start there? I looked it up in the manual and the op manual doesn't show the spec of the BR.

The BR would have a part number on its side that you can use to identify it. Are you saying that the flippers actually move while in test mode but not during game play ? If that's the case there's no reason to think that the bridge is damaged otherwise it simply wouldn't work. Did you measure the voltage in AC between pins 1 and 3 of J901 on the fliptronics board? And then the voltage , in DC , between ground (J904 pins 4 and 5 have ground) and each side of the 4 fuses F901, 2, 3 and 4 ? Are all these voltages present?

What works in test mode? The T12 Flipper coil tests? These all work? Then if you go into T2 switch levels test and press and hold both flipper buttons, the right most column should have 6 out of the 8 switches pressed in. The display will cycle all closed switches and should identify 4 of those 6 switches , leaving the bottom 2 switches not labeled on screen (they are upper left and upper right opto switches).

If the coils fire in T12 test, the problem probably isn't the on fliptronics board.

If the switches don't appear during the T2 test, There's a very good chance the issue is at on of the flipper left/right flipper opto switch boards , or the connection between those and the fliptronics board. A broken solder joint on pin 6 or 3 of the left flipper opto switch board (or the wires going to those pins) will disable both flipper buttons at the same time. A broken solder joint on pins 7 or 4 of the left flipper opto switch board will disable the right flipper but would keep the left flipper working. Both the 12v and ground come in one pin and goes back out another to the right flipper opto switch board. Reflowing all pins on both the flipper opto switch board is a good measure.

NOTE: the left flipper opto switch board or the right flipper opto switch boards are not the same as the A-13901-1 Opto switch board assembly (that contains op-amps , diodes and etc). They are the boards that monitor the flipper buttons directly and have very few components , an opto directly on the board and some resistors, and only 1 connector J1.

Also , didn't you say your flippers started working again a few days ago after removing the piggy back but only sound was missing? And now it's back to both? Did you verify that the wire loop is still closed from J505 into the speaker panel , the connection out from the speaker panel down to the sub in the cabinet and then coming back out back to J504 ? If anything along that line is disconnected you will lose all audio.

Let's start by fixing the flippers before we delve into the possible sound issues.

3 (resized).png3 (resized).png
#7 68 days ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I have found that i have the 5 and 12 volts going to the Fliptronic II board, power going through the fuses, but no power on the output pins that should be feeding power to the coils. I see the Fliptronic II board has had a previous repair because the bridge rectifier says "replaced 5-6-19" on it. Thinking I should start there? I looked it up in the manual and the op manual doesn't show the spec of the BR.

The flippers wouldn't work in test mode if the bridge were bad.

Look elsewhere as others have pointed you towards. For instance, go into switch matrix edge test and press your flipper buttons - the optos are part of the switch test, too, so you can see if they are working vs. not.

When you say they work in test mode do you mean the automated test will fire them but the buttons do not, or the buttons work to fire in test mode as well?

2 weeks later
#8 50 days ago

This issue ended up being 2 damn fuses on the fliptronics board. My brother was working on it 1st and he told me he tested the fuses, which looked ok, so MAYBE they were intermittent? Not sure, but flippers work now. Sound issue ended up being a bad rom on the sound board, both issues appeared basically at the same time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 325.00
Cabinet Parts
Steel Tiger Pinball

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Warrenton, VA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wpc-flippers-work-in-test-mode-but-not-game-mode and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.