IMG_0717 (resized).JPG
IMG_0715 (resized).JPG
IMG_0708 (resized).jpg
IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
IMG_0726 (resized).JPG
IMG_0725 (resized).JPG
IMG_0724 (resized).JPG
IMG_0723 (resized).JPG
There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 52.
#2451 2 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

The Seawitch playfields colour corrected & likely other improvements are moving forward this month. The last few prepaid guys after over 8 years of me slowly getting around 200 playfields of Seawitch & Star Gazer cut & lenses installed. The new group is looking at doing 2 levels of finish clear coats, standard (likely what I have done), & a premium at more money. They will reach out to the prepaid guys to see if they want their prepaid or to upgrade their Seawitch. So I will be doing my list this week, contacting people from info I have. If you are prepaid & do not hear back in a week please contact me.
New customers looking for Seawitch or Star Gazer playfields the new group will come out with their news later this month.

Excellent news John. Thank you for keeping us informed.

#2452 2 years ago

Thanks! The playfields for prepaid & those looking should start flowing out in good supply the rest of 2021. The new group will explain all they have done which is a lot very soon to everyone. Along with pictures.

#2453 2 years ago

Well, I guess it is time to let people know that I’ve been working on this project.

This started out last spring when John asked me to fix the artwork. I worked on the file to go from a raster based image to a colour separated vector image. I then worked on the colours to ensure I knew what they were supposed to be. To do that, I turned to my friend Bob Timm who knows that art better than anyone. I am confident the colours are right.

Just as I finished up the art, John let me know he was not going to be able to go forward with printing the playfields. I figured it was worth seeing things through, so I bought out all John’s materiel and paid off all his creditors. The final step is to complete the production and send off playfields to the customers (creditors) that had already paid John.

So, here is the first of the new Seawitch playfields, fresh back from the print shop.

Greg Walker
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

4A2AB149-DC6A-4A60-8B62-6966B853FB97 (resized).jpeg4A2AB149-DC6A-4A60-8B62-6966B853FB97 (resized).jpeg
#2454 2 years ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Well, I guess it is time to let people know that I’ve been working on this project.
This started out last spring when John asked me to fix the artwork. I worked on the file to go from a raster based image to a colour separated vector image. I then worked on the colours to ensure I knew what they were supposed to be. To do that, I turned to my friend Bob Timm who knows that art better than anyone. I am confident the colours are right.
Just as I finished up the art, John let me know he was not going to be able to go forward with printing the playfields. I figured it was worth seeing things through, so I bought out all John’s materiel and paid off all his creditors. The final step is to complete the production and send off playfields to the customers (creditors) that had already paid John.
So, here is the first of the new Seawitch playfields, fresh back from the print shop.
Greg Walker
Fantastic Pinball Inc.
[quoted image]

Oh, that's nice. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other one I have. I want one of these.

#2455 2 years ago

That's terrific news! Very nice work!

#2456 2 years ago

Excellent! I'm in for a Star Gazer when they're available!

#2457 2 years ago

This is a comparison to the original in a single photo.

B91D3F9B-30F5-400F-9964-3A88011019A5 (resized).jpegB91D3F9B-30F5-400F-9964-3A88011019A5 (resized).jpeg
#2458 2 years ago

So to recap, who is this new group we need to contact to get a Seawitch Playfield?

#2459 2 years ago

This is a comparison to the original in a single photo.
[quoted image]

Nice work and well done for assisting John with the art and financially. Hope to see you annouce these for sale soon and add new titles if at all possible?

#2460 2 years ago

I'm in for one each of the new ones.

#2461 2 years ago

Looks nice, but kind of a shame those of us who waited years for a pf are stuck with the bright blue one.

#2462 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Oh, that's nice. Now I have to figure out what to do with the other one I have. I want one of these.

coffee table? wall hanger? The world is your oyster!

#2463 2 years ago

Why not? Pinball coffee tables seem to piss off the most people.

1 week later
#2464 2 years ago

I’ve asked John to verify the Seawitch customer list that was provided online. He stated that some of these people may have already received their playfields. I will try to update this list until all accounts have been settled.

Updated Unofficial Seawitch List
Prepaid List + Date Paid
1. TWeaver April 23 or 24, 2013
2. Dazza88 December 13, 2013
3. jrobinso99 April 4, 2014 … Playfield Received 18 Oct, 2021
4. Evets August 3, 2014
5. Raptor December 13, 2014 (per email exchange with Raptor and John G)
6. PACMAN February 1, 2015
7. solidstate February 3, 2015
8. j_m_ February 9, 2015

#2465 2 years ago

I’ve asked John to verify the list that was provided online. He stated that some of these people may have already received their playfields. I will try to update this list until all accounts have been settled.
Prepaid List + Date Paid
4. Evets August 3, 2014
8. j_m_ February 9, 2015

PACMAN advertised a Star Gazer for sale in March 2021 and then seems to have disappeared.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/pacman/forum

#2466 2 years ago

I followed in Evets footsteps in maintaining that list and contacting people, pretty sure nothing changed with those final 8 before you went public, Greg. And Thank You for doing so! I was a buyer of the first ever (?) repro Fathom playfield that you made way back when. I was not in for a SW playfield, but maybe some other various future backglasses, are those something you'll be making also?

I’ve asked John to verify the Seawitch customer list that was provided online. He stated that some of these people may have already received their playfields. I will try to update this list until all accounts have been settled.
Prepaid List + Date Paid
4. Evets August 3, 2014
8. j_m_ February 9, 2015

#2467 2 years ago

fingers crossed that FantasticPinball will cross the finish line this year and I can finally finish restoring mine

#2468 2 years ago

Received notification that a PF was boxed up for me. It looks like my personal journey will be coming to an end soon. Thank you, Greg.

Steve

#2469 2 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

Received notification that a PF was boxed up for me. It looks like my personal journey will be coming to an end soon. Thank you, Greg.
Steve

F**K YEAH!

#2470 2 years ago

So I am finally starting my personal bankruptcy for the next 2 years. Back 27 years ago in Alberta. I moved to a new job & was laid off within days. Traveled across the country & lost everything. I had no idea that I was not discharged from my first bankruptcy since I have had credit cards & home loan over the years.

The crap talk by Kevin at CPR continues about everything about art & color of Seawitch playfields. I was lucky enough to have very few guys help supply me with ready to print art over the years for playfields & backglass. I have always said that color & details of art is not my thing. Never has & never will be something I excel in! On all my art supplied pinball products I did not want to change anything printed. This year I finally gave in to higher quality art & color demands of a few which ground down my sales.

Greg Walker is a good friend, along with my local friendship with the guys at CPR. Wish everyone would just chill & let the buyers decide on their own who to buy from. Greg Walker has higher standards than what I was able to offer the last 8 years. His clear coat process & printing looks way better since he is spending more money than I could afford over the years.

I just want to thank all my customers over the years for your support of my hobby business. Looking forward to the remaining prepaid guys of Seawitch getting their playfields.

#2471 2 years ago

Prepaid List + Date Paid
3. jrobinso99 April 4, 2014 - Playfield Received
4. Evets August 3, 2014 - Playfield received
5. Raptor December 13, 2014 - Playfield Received
6. PACMAN February 1, 2015 - Playfield Received
8. j_m_ February 9, 2015 - Playfield Received

2. Dazza88 December 13, 2013 (contacted)

#2472 2 years ago

Technically, I'm still waiting to receive the PF. That said, it did arrive at the UPS Processing Facility in Ontario, CA this morning at 5:52. It's close, but it will probably take 2.5 more days (Monday evening) to complete the last 10 miles of the journey. Looking forward to the unveiling!

#2473 2 years ago

Ordered August 3, 2014. Arrived November 1,2021. The journey has ended.

Seawitch PF (resized).jpgSeawitch PF (resized).jpg
#2474 2 years ago

Prepaid List + Date Paid
3. jrobinso99 April 4, 2014 - Playfield Received
5. Raptor December 13, 2014 - Playfield Received
6. PACMAN February 1, 2015 - Playfield Received
8. j_m_ February 9, 2015 - Playfield Received
2. Dazza88 December 13, 2013 (contacted)

just had a phone call from FantasticPinball and we've sorted things out

#2475 2 years ago
Quoted from Evets:

Ordered August 3, 2014. Arrived November 1,2021. The journey has ended.
[quoted image]

I hope you are happy with this playfield. It has been an adventure getting them made. I suspect several people are waiting for your review of the playfield itself as they decide if they want to buy one of the few remaining playfields that I have in stock.

If anybody knows TWeaver and/or Solidstate, they may also be waiting for playfields. John was unsure about his records vs the online list and this has been a challenge.

For those waiting to buy, I stopped clearcoating playfields prior to sale so that I can let people choose their clearcoat option. This means there is a slight delay between ordering and shipping because the playfield will be cleared after the order is made. However, the delay is short because printed playfields are in stock and ready to go.

Fantastic!

#2476 2 years ago

I suspect several people are waiting for your review of the playfield itself as they decide if they want to buy one of the few remaining playfields that I have in stock.

I'm buried in work so I only took time to open the package and snap a quick pic. I'll get it under some better lighting and place it next to my original before offering a review. That said, the initial impression is very good.

#2477 2 years ago

I can let people choose their clearcoat option.

what options are you offering?

#2478 2 years ago

Any updates on Stargazer?

#2479 2 years ago

So it looks like CPR is selling these now. After 8 years of waiting for this.

#2480 2 years ago

From the photos above, the updated colors on this look far and away, more like the original to me. The CPR playfield looks grossly over saturated and just plain weird.

#2481 2 years ago
Quoted from jay:

From the photos above, the updated colors on this look far and away, more like the original to me. The CPR playfield looks grossly over saturated and just plain weird.

I have not seen the other guys playfield and can’t speak about that, but I can tell you that the Fantastic playfield uses the colours that Bob Timm said are the correct colours. If you look on any two screens, the colours will look different, so I mailed the colours to Bob and got his endorsement prior to printing.

#2482 2 years ago

I have not seen the other guys playfield and can’t speak about that, but I can tell you that the Fantastic playfield uses the colours that Bob Timm said are the correct colours. If you look on any two screens, the colours will look different, so I mailed the colours to Bob and got his endorsement prior to printing.

I did some color tests with some appropriate swatches for myself, using an old Star Gazer playfield I had lying around. After removing the yellowed lacquer in some areas, it's not hard to tell what the colors should look like. And while computer displays will show colors differently, many years of experience with color as a graphic designer gives me some comfort in making educated guesses based on overall white balancing. Your playfield looks FAR better than the CPR, which looks bad to me. I imagine some people will think it's better because it's brighter though.

#2483 2 years ago

I have no time right now for a more thorough analysis, but I did place my new PF from Greg next to my original PF and to the naked eye the darker blues, greens and yellows seem on the money, particularly when I look at the colors that have been buried under posts. The lighter blue above the lower flippers is inconsistent with my old faded PF which is largely light green, but that light green color is clearly a product of age, as the light blue still exists under posts. Overall, the colors on Greg's PF pass the side by side naked eye test. There's no hint of too much purple, or not enough green. I get that this is a problematic assessment (non scientific), but the the PF looks good. I can point out some small flaws in the clear coat, but keep in mind that I find issues with every PF I've purchased. If I wanted absolutely perfect clearcoat, then I would send it off to Kruzman, and pay for that specialized, exceptional service. Overall, I am pleased with Greg's PF and look forward to installing it.

#2484 2 years ago

I received mine today and my sentiments echo Evets
the colors seem to be spot on and the entire playfield looks very nice. however, when held to the light, there are a lot of fish eyes that can be seen through the clear and banding in the dark blue areas is evident from the direct printing

fortunately, the majority of the fish eyes seem to be limited to the area between all of the thumper bumpers so they will not be visible and the banding blends away at a distance 6" or more

overall, it's a very nice playfield and the included test board was a pleasant surprise

IMG_8665 (resized).jpgIMG_8665 (resized).jpg

#2485 2 years ago

The CPR playfield is great in that we now have two sources, never a bad thing.

#2486 2 years ago

I'm really glad you all like this new playfield. As stated, you are going to find something in every playfield you look at. This is why some folks try grading and discounting the products. It just seems a shame to sand it down and start over because of a spec or bubble. Noting the cost to produce these, rejecting a playfield for a fisheye under the apron is throwing away about $900. Discounting the product means selling at a loss and putting the project upsidedown.

I am hoping to keep doing this, as long as you all like what I am making. Thanks for your support.

Fantastic!

8 months later
#2487 1 year ago

saw this

#2488 1 year ago

pssst FantasticPinball

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 11.01.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-18 at 11.01.22 PM (resized).png
#2489 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

pssst FantasticPinball
[quoted image]

Yep. In stock.

Fantastic!

#2490 1 year ago

Yep. In stock.
Fantastic!

Where does one go to buy a Star Gazer playfield?

#2491 1 year ago

Yep. In stock.
Fantastic!

I would like to get one as well.

#2492 1 year ago

nearly makes me want to buy a new repro to swap out John's repro and keep that one as a wall art piece

#2493 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

nearly makes me want to buy a new repro to swap out John's repro and keep that one as a wall art piece

Or sell it to another guy ready to go, & do another playfield swap with the exchange. Greg is doing great work!

#2494 1 year ago

Yep. In stock.
Fantastic!

Damn ! That as fast. I decided about 4 hours ago that I probably should get one of these new Seawitch play fields while the getting was good.

I made my paypal purchase about 2 hours ago. I already have an email notice telling me the play field is shipping today !

That's fast.

I sold my Greatwich Seawitch play field 2 weeks ago so I could go this direction with Fantastic Pinball.

#2495 1 year ago

Going faster than expected. I have two Seawitch left out of this batch. When they are gone I'll start again, but I am really busy with other new titles.
If you want a Seawitch Playfield that is true to the original with the colors that were certified correct by Bob Timm, with a clearcoat job that would cost you as much as the playfield elsewhere, then move quick.

For those lucky few who are holding the Seawitch metallic playfields, You have treasure. Hold them close!

Fantastic!

#2496 1 year ago

Seawitch metallic playfields

What is this? metallic play fields?

#2497 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

What is this? metallic play fields?

In the first batch of Seawitch playfields, the guy doing the clearcoat did what he did for all his automotive clearcoat, which is to add a small amount of aluminum powder that acts as a catalyst or accelerant to the reaction of the two part clear. The result was that the ink took on a slightly metallic look that was, in many opinions, nicer than the original. I only sold a few of these. I wish I had kept one for myself. I'd love to see one of these in a machine. They were special.

Fantastic!

#2498 1 year ago

only sold a few of these. I wish I had kept one for myself. I'd love to see one of these in a machine. They were special.

Alright… that means someone needs to post some braggin’ rights photos up in here.

#2499 1 year ago

In the first batch of Seawitch playfields, the guy doing the clearcoat did what he did for all his automotive clearcoat, which is to add a small amount of aluminum powder that acts as a catalyst or accelerant to the reaction of the two part clear. The result was that the ink took on a slightly metallic look that was, in many opinions, nicer than the original. I only sold a few of these. I wish I had kept one for myself. I'd love to see one of these in a machine. They were special.
Fantastic!

I'm going to have to look at mine again. I don't remember it having any metallic sheen to it and I was one of the individuals to receive one from the first batch

#2500 1 year ago

I think Greg said it was only a few, of the bunch he was starting with.

There are 2,551 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 52.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/would-you-prepay-500-us-for-a-new-stern-seawitch-or-star-gazer-playfield/page/50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.