(Topic ID: 355379)

Williams System 11 Sound Issue (Whirlwind)

By Azurden

12 days ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by DumbAss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1114 (resized).png
    #1 12 days ago

Been doing a cab up restoration on a Williams Whirlwind. Everything was gutted. The game was basically working with some switch issues and such. The restoration is winding up and put back together but missing any background music but have some call outs such as "Whirlwind" and "Looks like it is going to rain" and a "thunder" sound. All connectors have been punched down when the harness was removed, and again when I had this issue. All headers reflowed, pins cleaned, Deoxit on connectors. Ribbon cable cleaned with electronics cleaner and then Deoxit. IC's on sound board removed, legs cleaned and reseated. Connectors on sound aux board checked, cleaned, etc. The game itself has a new Williams power supply as well as driver aux board and inner connect board (not that has anything to do with it). Power board is for an 11B...

If I do the sound test button on the 11 board I get a normal low and high tone.

Any ideas? Send the sound board out for repair?

#2 12 days ago
    Quoted from Azurden:

Been doing a cab up restoration on a Williams Whirlwind. Everything was gutted. The game was basically working with some switch issues and such. The restoration is winding up and put back together but missing any background music but have some call outs such as "Whirlwind" and "Looks like it is going to rain" and a "thunder" sound. All connectors have been punched down when the harness was removed, and again when I had this issue. All headers reflowed, pins cleaned, Deoxit on connectors. Ribbon cable cleaned with electronics cleaner and then Deoxit. IC's on sound board removed, legs cleaned and reseated. Connectors on sound aux board checked, cleaned, etc. The game itself has a new Williams power supply as well as driver aux board and inner connect board (not that has anything to do with it). Power board is for an 11B...
    If I do the sound test button on the 11 board I get a normal low and high tone.
    Any ideas? Send the sound board out for repair?

Who manufactured your power supply board? It may well be the cause of the problems. But you would need to test to confirm. Do your input voltages match the schematic at the J3 connector?

IMG_1114 (resized).pngIMG_1114 (resized).png
    #3 12 days ago

The PS was made for a WW, and I also put the original in as it still works.

#4 12 days ago
    Quoted from Azurden:

The PS was made for a WW, and I also put the original in as it still works.

Did you verify input voltages on the soundboard? The correct voltages are in the picture above and would let you know if correct voltage is making it to the soundboard.

#5 11 days ago

Will be sure to check!

#6 11 days ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#Sound_Board_Theory_of_Operation_.28D-11581.29

and following section

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#Where_Do_The_Sounds_Come_From.3F

Run the diagnostic tests (00 and 02). Report your findings. I am fairly sure I know what you're going to report but my guess is not the same as what you actually observe (and will report).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-system-11-sound-issue-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.