jjp_loyal_customer (resized).jpg
business.gif
IMG_20180423_141418 (resized).jpg
I5oQs3.gif
E697E83B-91E0-417A-9022-3D8D3FD838D8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #15 Video from the designer explaining the changes Posted by bigd1979 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 6 years ago

After the anouncment of jjp getting rid of the cool lighted multi-disk award spinner and the moving trunk lid , it seems to have many looking at other pin options. The trunk lid isnt that big of a deal to me bc there were alot of rejected shots bc of it. However the new single disk and especially the way it looks is a huge downgrade in most people's opinions it seems. I understand functionality but there has to be something better than the new design and look right?

#2 6 years ago

I'm second guessing it but won't make any decisions until I see more. The next live stream is this Weds, likely with a game using updated mechs. With how much effort JJP has put into this game I think people should give them some time and a chance to see the updated game before making a final decision.

In the meantime JJP needs to do something to make up for the removal of the 3 spinning disk toy. A single traditional disk toy is obviously cheaper then a 3x disk toy with 3 motors and LED's. If the price stays the same then where is that amount in dollars being transferred to within the game?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'm second guessing it but won't make any decisions until I see more. The next live stream is this Weds, likely with a game using updated mechs. With how much effort JJP has put into this game I think people should give them some time and a chance to see the updated game before making a final decision.
In the meantime JJP needs to do something to make up for the removal of the 3 spinning disk toy. A single traditional disk toy is obviously cheaper then a 3x disk toy with 3 motors and LED's. If the price stays the same then where is that amount in dollars being transferred to within the game?

Totally agree ... im gonna wait it out and see how things end up on the pin.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

While I agree with what you are saying the MGC show this weekend will more than likely be the last time I (or most) will See this game prior to production which I will Bet will be the Original model which is what sold me a CE to begin with! To wait until later and just see what I get in the box at 12.5 is Not what I thought the plan was while playing this game routinely at 257. Very disappointing move. Delay it to make it work No problem. Deleting main key features not good.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While I agree with what you are saying the MGC show this weekend will more than likely be the last time I (or most) will See this game prior to production which I will Bet will be the Original model which is what sold me a CE to begin with! To wait until later and just see what I get in the box at 12.5 is Not what I thought the plan was while playing this game routinely at 257. Very disappointing move. Delay it to make it work No problem. Deleting main key features not good.

I hear ya there. Changing a major feature 6 months after revealing the game and accepting preorders is a bummer. If JJP offered a $500 discount to existing preorder customers do you think that would help?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there. Changing a major feature 6 months after revealing the game and accepting preorders is a bummer. If JJP offered a $500 discount to existing preorder customers do you think that would help?

Personally no. This game especially at the CE level wasn't really about the money. The stunning art, amazing engineering, and creative new features are what Sold the game. Removing the center piece most complex feature of the game is not necessarily a small change. Making the ramps clear over tinted, fine, keeping the trunk stationary to improve function fine, loosing the biggest first ever pinball feature? Not fine nor what you would expect from JJP.

#7 6 years ago

Watch from 41 min to 44 min as they talk about the map spinner .... he seemed so very proud of the mech and said it went threw alot of testing. This needs to be in the game imo.....

#8 6 years ago

WTF, how long ago was this game announced and they still haven't produced any?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

WTF, how long ago was this game announced and they still haven't produced any?

Oct 14-15.... and now its going threw a major change ...

#10 6 years ago

One of the worst things about the updated mech is that it doesn't seem to really fit with the rest of the games artwork. The games artwork appears to have been designed in part due to the 3x spinning disk taking up a central area of the game. Now the traditional disk seems out of place and doesn't blend into the game.

a49bd3cd59eed61fc2350c2581c606eea9575f47 (resized).pnga49bd3cd59eed61fc2350c2581c606eea9575f47 (resized).png

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One of the worst things about the updated mech is that it doesn't seem to really fit with the rest of the games artwork. The games artwork appears to have been designed in part due to the 3x spinning disk taking up a central area of the game. Now the traditional disk seems out of place and doesn't blend into the game.

Yea its not very pleasing to the eye

#12 6 years ago

I am just Hoping Eric was up late drinking and thought this would be a funny gag to get people talking about the game. Please let this be a joke....

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I am just Hoping Eric was up late drinking and thought this would be a funny gag to get people talking about the game. Please let this be a joke....

I hope so also but i really dont believe thats the case bc its gonna cause people to cancel some preorders

#14 6 years ago

Whoa, that would be a huge step backwards. I thought the concentric spinning disk was the most innovative game mechanic I'd seen in a few years. I was looking forwarding to seeing it up close at pinfest in a few weeks.

[edit]: The website still shows the spinning discs on all 3 versions of the game: https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/games/

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Whoa, that would be a huge step backwards. I thought the concentric spinning disk was the most innovative game mechanic I'd seen in a few years. I was looking forwarding to seeing it up close at pinfest in a few weeks.
[edit]: The website still shows the spinning discs on all 3 versions of the game: https://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/games/

#16 6 years ago

Well, that's a real bummer. I'd be interested to know how that decision came about.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, that's a real bummer. I'd be interested to know how that decision came about.

It sure is.. the map was the first thing i fell in love with when i pre-ordered oct 14-15 and now its gone...along with the moving trunk lid.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It sure is.. the map was the first thing i fell in love with when i pre-ordered oct 14-15 and now its gone...along with the moving trunk lid.

The spinning discs were the first thing that got a "wow" reaction out of me in a good while. It seemed like a really good design element for the game.

#19 6 years ago

The 3 disc spinner was my biggest beef with the game at TPF. Effected ball roll way too much because of mech level issues. I’m actually more interested in the game hearing it’s been removed.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The spinning discs were the first thing that got a "wow" reaction out of me in a good while. It seemed like a really good design element for the game.

Agreed. Even the New map art looks hideous. Why would they change that also from the original movie map? I'm all for creative freedom but they should have taken a vote on that one!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Seemed to be well designed from the sdtm interview i posted. They were a little loud but with glass on and volume up it wld be fine. There really wasnt much to it so im not sure y it has been taken away ?

#22 6 years ago

I'm guessing from this video and the JJP livestreams that when they went to code the spinning disks to give out random awards they couldn't get it to work. A couple of months ago they said that they were going to show the random awards in the next stream but that never happened and they went silent on the random awards. Perhaps there were also other long-term reliability issues with the discs that only showed up after a couple of months of testing. Then there was also the noise problem. So after taking these three things into account they must have reluctantly decided to let it go.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I'm guessing from this video and the JJP livestreams that when they went to code the spinning disks to give out random awards they couldn't get it to work. A couple of months ago they said that they were going to show the random awards in the next stream but that never happened and they went silent on the random awards. Perhaps there were also other long-term reliability issues with the discs that only showed up after a couple of months of testing. Then there was also the noise problem. So after taking these three things into account they must have reluctantly decided to let it go.

And it was pretty expensive.

#24 6 years ago

Oh, hell no. Seems like they are going the Stern way with these moves.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Delay it to make it work No problem. Deleting main key features not good.

Couldn't agree more. Will wait for the streams to see what it's like but for almost 20k aud for the ce I might just get a hobbit and a deadpool if that comes out. Very disappointed

#26 6 years ago

Thats spinning disc was so cool. To say it "needed some tweaking" sounds like they adjusted a ball guide, not reduce 3 spinning discs to one. Still be a great game but what a bummer.

#27 6 years ago

I hope JJP doesn’t skinny this game back. They are gaining the reputation of making the Cadillac of Pins now.

#28 6 years ago

that new disk looks like a turd...im not happy

#29 6 years ago

I’m going to chime in here and I’m going to be completely honest. This isn’t a money issue at all. This is about making a game that is reliable.

#30 6 years ago

Can someone write in words exactly what is being changed or give a reference to written announcement from JJP? OP just assumed we are all up to date on all details. Thanks

#31 6 years ago

But it will become a money issue as I will most likely after Wednesdays stream cancel my order !nd from what it looks like many others will as well.

#32 6 years ago

These things happen but this is unfortunate. That spinning disc feature was a genius idea. Sad to see it relegated to a backglass animation.

Of paramount importance to any game design is that it's fun and reliable. If fun takes a small hit to bump up reliability then that's a lot better than the other way around.

#33 6 years ago

I played this game at the Ohio show. My first thought was the disc seemed like the weak link. On one of the games it seemed to be not aligned right. " Imo " the disc is ugly, and imo would be prone to wear and breaking. The disc would be the reason I would not buy this game even more so than the huge price tag. Ship deck was also an issue on one of the games seemed to be favoring an inside lean. Imo these games need tweaking before any thought of shipping. All my opinion so no need for panty bunching.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

But it will become a money issue as I will most likely after Wednesdays stream cancel my order !nd from what it looks like many others will as well.

If JJP taketh away with one hand, what will be added in the other?

#35 6 years ago

Really hope they keep the tripple spinning discs and the opening/closing lid, this is a huge step backwards!

On the lid why not put a clear stationary lid on top of the chest so the opening/closing does not interfere with the ball. Personally I love things moving and interacting while playing and hate to see these things removed. All my pinball friends have been talking about the 3 spinning discs since this was shown first time and love them. Please don’t take away these toys it has to be possible to redesign and make them work.

#36 6 years ago

The spinning disc is a huge change to make after taking deposits. I'm guessing it has nothing to do with money and that they just couldn't make it work. This really stinks for people that already ordered one but it may prevent a maintenance nightmare done the road. Definitely disappointing so hopefully jjp is looking for ways to add some other things in to make up for the difference.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Can someone write in words exactly what is being changed or give a reference to written announcement from JJP? OP just assumed we are all up to date on all details. Thanks

Watch the vid it's the 15th post

#38 6 years ago

Will see how MGC goes, but I'm leaning toward canceling my day 1 order. I can't imagine they'll add anything more at this stage and they're not going to change pricing. They are probably just trying to get it out the door to make room for the next one. At Expo Eric explained the triple disc to me and others as a main selling feature, so to me this is a huge downgrade.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

hopefully jjp is looking for ways to add some other things in to make up for the difference.

Hopefully JJP gets wind of this thread!! A lot of unhappy folks especially the ones who put down a deposit..

#40 6 years ago

Spining disk downgrade I can see because mech was much more complex.

But the trunk? Why can't a trunk be opened? Way easier mech - open - close - no complex moving parts. Was it not opening fast enough maybe?

#41 6 years ago

I am deff rethinking but will wait and see final product. I would prob shift to a WOZ if something cannot be done with the spinning disk. That thing is just a huge piece O!

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

And it was pretty expensive.

They've known how much the discs would cost for ages, so there's no reason to remove it now because of the BOM. The only thing we know is that it they couldn't get the awards to work and it wasn't reliable long-term, so it had to be removed.

Quoted from Cigaretteman:

Really hope they keep the triple spinning discs and the opening/closing lid

No point hoping, watch the announcement video, they're gone. Get used to it.

Quoted from spinal:

But the trunk? Why can't a trunk be opened? Way easier mech - open - close - no complex moving parts. Was it not opening fast enough maybe?

The trunk was opening and closing fine. The problem was that when the trunk was closed the ball would fly up the ramp, hit the lid and be rejected. Having the trunk permanently opened means less rejects.

#43 6 years ago

Always open trunk easy fix: give me a killer lightshow inside the trunk, RGB that reacts to the game. Looks killer, can be coded and I am happy.

Spinning 3ring disc with inserts gone on the other hand? Deal breaker for me. I am not interested in one large frisbee.

CE on order, hope to not be disappointed.

#44 6 years ago

Question for Eric: two smaller magnets underneath the single spinning disc (in order to achieve balanced spins), strong enough to somewhat deflect the path of the passing ball further while the disc spins. Possible? One big disc only is terrible....

#45 6 years ago

This is a severe bummer. The 3 concentric ring spinning disc was cool. I don't think a single disc is gonna do it for most buyers after we've all seen the triple disc set-up. If they're gonna change it, I'd rather them go to a triple disc set-up like Whirlwind, where they have 3 separate smaller discs. The Whirlwind set-up seems very reliable, as there are probably still thousands of them that have been working since 1990.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The decision came about because they were having a hard time getting the three spinning disc mech to work correctly - you can imagine that JJP doesn’t want to spend tens of thousands servicing/replacing faulty mechs like that, especially when you can have the same exact effect on a screen.

The vast majority of ball movement was probably generated by the center portion of the sections, so players likely aren’t losing much action by having only one disc.

I think buyers of this game are still going to be super happy when the ball starts flying.

#47 6 years ago

Out!

#48 6 years ago

Bummer on the spinner. It looked really cool. Why couldn't they get the trunk to work? Stern did with Aerosmith. For those that are hoping that JJP will change their minds, I would hold out little hope of that. Making a information release with the head designer seems like a pretty final decision to me. Maybe they will change the look of the single spinner if enough complain.

Kudo's to Eric to go public with this announcement. Show's a lot when he clearly states he is behind a most likely unpopular change.

#49 6 years ago

I believe those of us who put their faith and money into this product day 1 and then to change the product after 6+ months and two delays in shipping and production deserve something in the form of compensation. Most of us have bought jjp for better or worse before and are return customers. That disc cannot be cheap including led light and 3 independent motors. Come on Jack make this right.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

...especially when you can have the same exact effect on a screen.
The vast majority of ball movement was probably generated by the center portion of the sections, so players likely aren’t losing much action by having only one disc.

It sounds like you haven't actually played the game, correct me if I'm wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

18,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leicester, LEICESTERSHIRE
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 676 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-is-second-guessing-their-jjp-potc-preorder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.