(Topic ID: 351823)

What's pinball?

By pinballslave

3 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240225_193445 (resized).jpg
    20240225_185715 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0193 (resized).jpeg
    20240222_201622 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240220-185134_Samsung Notes (resized).jpg
    143852NCJRS.pdf (PDF preview)
    Screenshot_20240219-234600_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    231f1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240220-001645_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    CyclonePlayfield (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240219-173516_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240219-153717_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240216-224452_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240217-090443_Gallery (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240217-090515_Gallery (resized).jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 3 months ago

Does anyone know what pinball is... or does anyone know where there is a definition of pinball anywhere? To me it would be very tricky to define... I challenge anyone to pin down a good definition in less than 100 words

#3 3 months ago

A steel ball?

#4 3 months ago
    31305C94-12C4-4138-95D9-8E5CD5D4F98D (resized).jpeg31305C94-12C4-4138-95D9-8E5CD5D4F98D (resized).jpeg
    #5 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Does anyone know what a pinball is... or does anyone know where there is a definition of a pinball anywhere? To me it would be very tricky to define... I challenge anyone to pin down a good definition in less that 100 words

That which enslaves you.

#6 3 months ago

I know you can get them for .14 cents in the 1000s of units from China.

#7 3 months ago

It is a pinball machine. The roly-poly thing inside is the pinball.

#8 3 months ago

A silver spherical object in which a Selachimorpha is expected to eat said object in a game.

#9 3 months ago

First we have to determine what you mean by what’s a, Then we can move onto pinball

#10 3 months ago

a game in which small metal balls are shot across a sloping board and score points by striking various targets.

Or the ball that is used in said game

#11 3 months ago

ForceFlow, Read each of those definitions and none of them define a pinball...

First one:

Pinball games are a family of games in which a ball is propelled into a specially designed table where it bounces off various obstacles, scoring points either en route or when it comes to rest.

Some pinballs don't score points, they just payout (or not) depending where the ball lands... Mills Tycoon for example.

2nd one:

any of various games played on a sloping, glass-topped table presenting a field of colorful

Colourful... so early games on plain wood are not pinballs...

Sloping... so vertical pinballs aren't pinballs?

3rd one:

an amusement device in which a ball propelled by a plunger

So rolldown games aren't pinballs?

Some pinballs were just for gambling, not for amusement...

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

a game in which small metal balls are shot across a sloping board and score points by striking various targets.

Metal? So early games using ceramic balls aren't pinballs? Sloping? Vertical pinballs... points? Some games don't score points... Targets? Some games the balls just fall in holes, like the ones from the early 30s ...

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

First we have to determine what you mean by what’s a, Then we can move onto pinball

It's an abbreviation for 'what is a'

#14 3 months ago
    IMG_6973.gifIMG_6973.gif
    #15 3 months ago

Metal? So early games using ceramic balls aren't pinballs? Sloping? Vertical pinballs... points? Some games don't score points... Targets? Some games the balls just fall in holes, like the ones from the early 30s ...

Correct. None of that shit is pinball.

#16 3 months ago

ForceFliw, Read each of those definitions and none of them define a pinball...
    First one:
    Pinball games are a family of games in which a ball is propelled into a specially designed table where it bounces off various obstacles, scoring points either en route or when it comes to rest.
    Some pinballs don't score points, they just payout (or not) depending where the ball lands... Mills Tycoon for example.
    2nd one:
    any of various games played on a sloping, glass-topped table presenting a field of colorful
    Colourful... so early games on plain wood are not pinballs...
    Sloping... so vertical pinballs aren't pinballs?
    3rd one:
    an amusement device in which a ball propelled by a plunger
    So rolldown games aren't pinballs?
    Some pinballs were just for gambling, not for amusement...

Mills Tycoon (resized).pngMills Tycoon (resized).png
    #17 3 months ago

Its a Dance for pins,thats why its a Pin Ball

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #18 3 months ago

It is a term that mostly no longer applies due to the nature of today's games as they rarely if ever have pins, but it is the name that stuck.

Worse yet is when people describe the machines themselves as pins.

Pinball is the ball that rolls through and gets diverted by said pins.

Notice all the pins and balls on Ballyhoo, the highest known produced pinball machine with 50,000 units.

Pin+ball=Pinball.

Not to be confused with pinball machine or pinball table which is where the term "pinball" was first used before it became a standalone noun describing just the ball, but that is not what you asked us to define.

That is all.

image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

#19 3 months ago

Why is it called pinball.

The very first pinball games appeared in the early 1930s and did not have flippers; after launching the ball it simply proceeded down the playfield, directed by static nails (or "pins") to one of several scoring areas. (These pins gave the game its name.)

#20 3 months ago

I'd argue we still have pins- they just have plastic on top and we call them posts and star posts etc, the concept is used for the same ball direction as before.

#21 3 months ago

Spherical shaped object that can differ in composition and weight

#22 3 months ago

Shark food

#23 3 months ago

All I have too say is WOW

#24 3 months ago

A ball that is launched onto a sloping table that has pins in the table to deflect the ball

#25 3 months ago

I'm trippin out man!

#26 3 months ago

Pinball is a generic term for a knockoff of a game called whiffle.

#27 3 months ago
    IMG_6599.gifIMG_6599.gif
    #28 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pinball is the ball that rolls through and gets diverted by said pins.

I'd say that's the ball in a pinball personally, not the pinball itself... but yes, what your talking about generally is the origin of the name... but I was wondering how easy it is to pin down (pun intended) the definition of a pinball game (for those who are thinking that I was just asking about the ball itself).

Here's the Wikipedia definition:

(games) A game, played on a device with a sloping base, in which the player operates a spring-loaded plunger to shoot a ball, between obstacles, and attempts to hit targets and score points.

So Medieval Madness isn't a pinball (game) according to Wiki...

Quoted from Mundy53:

Pinball is a generic term for a knockoff of a game called whiffle.

But Whiffle is also a pinball, no?

#29 3 months ago

A game, played against gravity and chance and combined with (in the future) electric devices to control the shots which added a factor of skill into the game making it truely a game of skill and chance.

#30 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

A game, played against gravity and chance and combined with (in the future) electric devices to control the shots which added a factor of skill into the game making it truely a game of skill and chance

A good starting point I think... Gravity certainly has to be mentioned, but it's also important to state that a ball is involved... the snag is that before flippers: bingos and pachinkos, and later, pitch-n-bats also fit that description... I'd also say that the games before electrical devices to control shots (flippers) were added were also a combination of skill and chance...

#31 3 months ago

To answer your original question “what’s a pinball” in under 100 words:
    —-
    A pinball is a small, hard ball used in the play of pinball games, as well as in older game variants such as bingo machines and bagatelle games. The number, type, diameter, and color of the balls used differ depending upon the specific game being played.

Early pinballs were made of various materials, including wood, clay, glass, ivory, bone, reinforced plastic( Bakelite and acrylic) and ceramic, and came in a multitude of various sizes.

The modern pinballs used in current production games are 1-1/16” in diameter and are typically made of polished hardened steel.
    —-
    Asking the larger question of “what is pinball?” would require removing “a” from your question. This simple change in sentence structure would warrant an entirely different answer.

Semantics.

#32 3 months ago

It’s certainly different than the definition of a table

#33 3 months ago

That's a very thorough definition of the balls used in pinball games... I like it... but the question was relating to the game itself rather than just the balls used in them... should have elaborated on that... my bad... even defining the question is not straight forwards... if you can come up with a similarly thorough definition of the game itself, that would be even more impressive!

Quoted from EJS:

It’s certainly different than the definition of a table

You mean a pin table...?

#34 3 months ago

That's a very thorough definition of the balls used in pinball games... I like it... but the question was relating to the game itself rather than just the balls used in them... should have elaborated on that... my bad... even defining the question is not straight forwards... if you can come up with a similarly thorough definition of the game itself, that would be even more impressive!

Yeah, likely while you were responding, I had edited my post to clarify

“Asking the larger question of “what is pinball?” would require removing “a” from your question. This simple change in sentence structure would warrant an entirely different answer.

Semantics. ”

Maybe I’ll give it a try…

#35 3 months ago

I have since changed the title question (in a different way)

I prefer your suggestion though, much neater... so I'll change it again!

Quoted from BeachPickle:

Maybe I’ll give it a try…

I'm curious what you'll come up with if you do! I will extent the number of allowable words to 200

By the way, you can add cork to that list of ball materials... there's a game called Krazy Ball that uses cork balls... 1.5" diameter to be precise...

#37 3 months ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

“Asking the larger question of “what is pinball?” would require removing “a” from your question.

Simple. Pinball used in that manner is short for game or games of pinball.

Some might say "let's play pinball" or "let's play some pinball" instead of "let's play a game of pinball" or "let's play some games of pinball".

A game which uses the above described balls in a machine that rarely if ever has pins any more.

#38 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Simple. Pinball used in that manner is short for game or games of pinball.

You're getting close to the Zen definition: Pinball is pinball

#39 3 months ago

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description “pinball”, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it

#40 3 months ago

You're getting close to the Zen definition: Pinball is pinball

I am going to work on pinball today. Then drink beer and play some pinball tonight. Pretty standard.

#41 3 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I am going to work on pinball today. Then drink beer and play some pinball tonight. Pretty standard.

Why not spice things up? Might I suggest drinking all the beer before working on pinball. Then switch to liquor while you play.

#42 3 months ago
    Quoted from Electronmagic:

Why not spice things up? Might I suggest drinking all the beer before working on pinball. Then switch to liquor while you play.

How bout a compromise. I'll probably start drinking beer while working on pinball. Then liquor if I should happen to eat dinner or run out of beer.

#43 3 months ago

there's a game called Krazy Ball that uses cork balls

I can't believe I forgot cork. I've actually been obsessed with this game ever since seeing a flyer for it in someone's digitized ephemera collection. I've been fantasizing about building my own replica, and have even started collecting basic components in order to make an attempt. Have you actually seen a physical version of this game??? I've only seen the flyer/advert.

#45 3 months ago

#46 3 months ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

I can't believe I forgot cork. I've actually been obsessed with this game ever since seeing a flyer for it in someone's digitized ephemera collection. I've been fantasizing about building my own replica, and have even started collecting basic components in order to make an attempt. Have you actually seen a physical version of this game??? I've only seen the flyer/advert.

I'll assume you're being serious I actually have the flyer, but never seen or heard of the game even existing! The flyer is a bit unique, just like the game, because the back of it is blotting paper... the one I have has been made full use of in that respect, so it's soaked with 1930s ink!

#47 3 months ago

Pinball is what it is.

A ball, a machine, a hobby, a way of life.

#48 3 months ago

I'll assume you're being serious

completely serious. I'm still trying to figure out if the 400 and 300 point holes hold/trap the ball, or if they allow it to fall onto the playfield below. The scoring says to "ADDING OF BALLS TRAPPED GIVES SCORE", which leads me to believe there is something under the holes that would hold the ball there until a new coin is inserted.

I've been able to pretty well figure out how the rest of the parts would work.

That's crazy about the ink. I saw that on the back of the flyer on IPDb.

#49 3 months ago

What’s a pinball, wasn’t that the original title?

#50 3 months ago

It's that thing that hurts your toe when you are working on a machine in sandals. Then you gotta go find it.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-a-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.