You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mikey-life-cereal.jpg
cell Picts 064.jpg
newstern.jpg
CAM00091.jpg
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

The 2 minute games on it push everyone away.

Two minutes on the above mentioned Big Daddy would be epic. But people love it.

#52 9 years ago

F14 tomcat , then ironman those two are made for each other ....brutal games ...like my son likes to say : those games have no heart .....

#53 9 years ago

F14 tomcat Freakin brutal man

#54 9 years ago

Ohh I almost forgot AVENGERS is mean also ....

#55 9 years ago

I love ultra mean games. For the record, almost any game can be set up ultra mean, and if they are, I think a lot of them play way better. For instance, WCS94 with 45 second ball times is awesome. WCS with 2 minute ball times is a snooze.

Just for modern-ish games, my choices are:

IM
VND (must have clean Glo-Balls and be set for steel balls)
BSD
F14
JD (if you don't set your game up right, this is a game you can have forever long ball times on. Mine, with multiple years of play and a lot of top 10 players using it in a tournament had a high score of about 250,000,000 - that's darn mean.)

and MAYBE...

Popeye (if you play it stock with lightning flips and at a high pitch, exactly half of the games you play will last about 1 minute total. My problem is that for every five 1 minute games, I get 1 10 minute game, and when you play Popeye for 10 minutes, it reminds you that it might be a joy to look at, but isn't that awesome to play for long.)

#56 9 years ago

Whirlwind and Ripley's are mean nasty machines.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Two minutes on the above mentioned Big Daddy would be epic.

I hear you brother. Most Pinsiders won't relate though as they probably, unfortunately, have never played an EM in good operating condition.

I'll throw my Majorettes, Ice Show, and Flying Carpet into the ring. They're tough to beat the high score or win a replay on, but they'll keep you wanting to play one more game!

- Tim

#58 9 years ago

Tommy was the meanest I owned. No one wanted to play it due to drains. A pity too because it was a great machine otherwise.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I hear you brother. Most Pinsiders won't relate though as they probably, unfortunately, have never played an EM in good operating condition.

That's too bad. But that's why I keep throwing it out there every time I read things like brutal, tough, short ball times, etc.

And most of my modern games are some of the most brutal on the planet.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

BSD. Without a doubt. So mean.

I agree 100% . BSD is goin on 5 year's in the GRG !! & my IM VE is about just as Mean ..

cell Picts 064.jpgcell Picts 064.jpg
#62 9 years ago

Here is another vote for BSD. It can be brutally fast, and low scoring.

#63 9 years ago

TAF among my games. No ballsaver, and the fastest multidrains ever witnessed. Easy, seductive game otherwise. Probably why there are so many games on the routed ones.

#64 9 years ago

Timed balls like Goin Nuts. Never seen one because I think they only made 10, but its in PBA and I hate it.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No initials or grand champion on it, and I'm not going to let anyone carve them in, but in my house it's Big Daddy. 1000 point games are rare.

Any EM is cruel compared to what came after. These pups never drove without power steering.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Any EM is cruel compared to what came after.

But why are they so addictive?

Quoted from swampfire:

These pups never drove without power steering.

Remember. We had bigger steering wheels. lol!

#67 9 years ago

Flash Gordon can humble anyone.

#68 9 years ago

Flash Gordon is the meanest, the prettiest, and the baddest mofo game around.

Sho' nuff.

#69 9 years ago

I've heard all I need to hear...
Flash Gordon wins.
-mof

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_erie:

No doubt about this one, I'm actually going to sell mine because everyone hates it in my house. My wife says, "what's the point of this one"?. The 2 minute games on it push everyone away.

I can understand that, but for me it's such a rush and makes me want to keep playing! Wish you lived closer if you're selling.

#71 9 years ago

Send that F-14 to me! Right here! To the house of pain.

#72 9 years ago

Jurassic park the lost world... seems so simple, yet cannot EVER get more than 3 modes complete..

Gottlieb Rocky.. trying to get used to that duel flipper layout takes a LONG time.. I was the first and only to break 1Mil.. and this was for years.

#73 9 years ago

F-14
No Fear

#74 9 years ago

You know, I hear BSD a lot. It’s funny, as that is the one game where you cannot alter the drain lanes or change it to make it easier or harder, ironic, since I don't think it is all that hard, and you can usually work your way out of there.

#75 9 years ago

The shadow can be brutal. Just when you really get things going, side drain or sdtm.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

The Shadow can be brutal. Just when you really get things going, side drain or sdtm.

TS is a true drain whore. It may be the worst in the sys11+ eras. MB's last the shortest of anything I have ever owned.

#77 9 years ago

Paragon <shudder>

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

I find there to be a difference between cruel and tough.

Same games came up in both threads however.

poll: Which game is the hardest? Please take ball times, shots, scoring etc into consideration.

The Shadow : (29 votes)

Iron Man : (38 votes)

BSD : (46 votes)

RBION : (15 votes)

X-Men : (9 votes)

Fish Tales : (12 votes)

F-14 : (22 votes)

The Avengers : (12 votes)

EMs : (21 votes)

#79 9 years ago

for me its Fathom ....... my experience is: lots of center ball drains & multiball is difficult to keep alive .... maybe its just me & I need more practice but , if anyone else experienced this (or Not) please chime in

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

What is the meanest, cruelest game?

Big Bang Bar number 153. It left a garage in Texas and didn't leave a forwarding address.

#81 9 years ago

IM and Flash Gordon are up there for sure.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

poll: Which game is the hardest? Please take ball times, shots, scoring etc into consideration.

This is what cracks me up! EMs but no specific titles. lol. As you were.

#84 9 years ago

mikey-life-cereal.jpgmikey-life-cereal.jpg

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Negative.

With all due respect, that thread didn't take into account the two most brutal games of all time:

Black Hole
Flash Gordon

No game designed after 1981 can compete with a 1981 game in terms of "brutality". The designs have been made easier and easier leading to longer and longer ball times since 1981.

-mof

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

for me its Fathom ....... my experience is: lots of center ball drains & multiball is difficult to keep alive .... maybe its just me & I need more practice but , if anyone else experienced this (or Not) please chime in

Fathom is brutal. It's more difficult than Embryon or Centaur. I don't own a Flash Gordon, so I'm not on that band wagon, but I very much respect those who are.

-mof

#87 9 years ago

Fish tales for me. Love the game but the lightning flippers make it tougher.

#88 9 years ago

AC/DC and Flash Gorden are cruel for the short balls.

But the cruelest of them all is Punchy The Clown for long ball times you wish would end.

#89 9 years ago

F-14 in my house

#90 9 years ago

The bottom line issue here, is that people's responses to polls are influenced by one main factor:

1) What games do you have access to? (Related factors are: How many of the title still exist to play? How many of the game were produced, How old is the title?)

Look -- I'm not on the EM bandwagon, since I don't play EMs -- I have access to them, and I simply am not interested in them. I just don't play EMs. I like flipper strength and fast playfields, and I've never EVER seen one from an EM.

This is no different than the bewilderment I feel while listening to people who are perhaps more used to DMDs and moderns who don't play early solid states.

Many people don't have access to a Flash Gordon or a Black Hole (or any "brutal" solid state for that matter.)

I presume some EM players are laughing at (ME thinking BH and Flash Gordon are brutal), just like I'm laughing at people who think *ANY* DMDs or Moderns are brutal. In my book, they don't rate. They are not designed for brutal. They are designed for long ball times.

So apparently, EMs are the most brutal, Solid States the second most brutal, and DMD/Moderns the least brutal. So you simply need 3 distinct polls for this one to make any sense.

-mof

#91 9 years ago

If you start a thread like this in the all pinball category, the results will never make any real sense.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

ACDC

#93 9 years ago

Another vote for both Flash Gordon and Fireball Classic. I've had numerous parties at my house over the years with 15 to 20 different games ranging from early SS to modern Sterns and Fireball Classic audits always report the lowest average time per ball in play (sorry, can't audit this for my EM's, though).

#94 9 years ago

Of the games I've played, Flash Gordon.

#95 9 years ago

Out of the games I own, STTNG is definitely unforgiving.

Of all the games I have played, Black Hole is definitely the biggest jerk. "Hey here's your ball back... HAHA JK LOL"

#96 9 years ago

my current power trio is Fish Tales, BSD & Iron Man. Not a whole lot of relaxing games of pinball. Always on the edge.

Beyond those three, Flash Gordon gets my vote.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is what cracks me up! EMs but no specific titles. lol. As you were.

Just for you I had Big Daddy in mind when I made the poll.

#99 9 years ago

Gottlieb Spirit, the flippers are wide apart

Any game with a double flipper arrangement at the bottom

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

The bottom line issue here, is that people's responses to polls are influenced by one main factor:
1) What games do you have access to?

This is VERY true. You aren't going to have a group of people who have never played a certain game saying it's the toughest.

Having said that, the way games were designed changed drastically, and I don't know that I would say that I have ever felt that there were EMs that were designed "cruelly". I have an EM for instance called 3 Coins. If you look it up, it has a GIANT GAP between the flippers, and you're lucky to hit the ball three times before draining. Difficult? Absolutely. Cruel? No. It makes you strategize about what you are going to do with those shots a lot more, but I *know* the ball is going to drain really quickly, where if I'm playing IM I don't feel like I'm going to drain like crazy, and then I do. It seems more 'cruel' to me.

As for the solid states that a lot of people are bringing up, again, it just depends. Paragon I think is nasty, but again it never makes me feel like I am going to be able to keep the ball in play for a long time. I have never had the issues with Black Hole that a lot of people are saying in terms of keeping the ball in play.

The more recent games like IM or VND are more 'cruel' to me because if you have a shot off by a half inch on IM for instance, the magnets can grab the ball and throw it out for you without you being able to do anything. I don't expect to not be able to keep the ball in play, but I can't.

Finally, I do think it's wrong to say that modern games are designed to have long ball times. Some are, some aren't. It depends on the game - but I know that I can play for nearly ever on a few EMs, and I can play for nearly ever on a few SSs, so it just depends on what you're playing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,629.00
Cabinet - Toppers
The Electric Playground

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Point, UT
Machine - For Sale
Oakville, MO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-meanest-cruelest-game/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.