85 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240301_011627 (resized).jpg
#1 85 days ago

So just finished a 3-day tear down of my WCS94. It's sat neglected for several years and I had Cointaker LEDs and some Cliffy's I bought 7-10 years ago still waiting to be installed, so I figured why not finally strip it down, update the lighting, install the Cliffy's, and wax and clean everything. Fastforward to 1am tonight when I finally finished. Everything looked BEAUTIFUL but I decided to run through the test menu before starting my first game. All the lights and switches worked, but when I was testing the solenoids, the display went out (don't recall on exactly what solenoid). Turned it off and came back a few minutes and turned it back on and then the display has a few blotches but that was it. Tried it one more time and the display is completely dark again. Going to bed as I'm wiped but would love any thoughts and suggestions for when I try to tackle this in the morning. Thanks in advance!

20240301_011627 (resized).jpg20240301_011627 (resized).jpg
#2 85 days ago

Would start by checking Fuse 602

#3 85 days ago

'display has a few blotches'

Your plasma display (you do have orange plasma dots, right, no aftermarket colordmd or anything?), has two connectors.

The skinny long ribbon cable. First thing I'd do is reseat the ribbon cable.

The next thing I'd do is check the voltages on the other connector.

If you are missing a voltage, it's quite common for the display driver board to have a failure in it's power supply section. This part of the board gets hot, and is medium-difficult to repair, though kits exist:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/WPC-SEMIHV20516

A much easier option is just to buy a piggyback board that is easy to install and replaces the blown up power supply part of your DMD controller:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-14039-SAT

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-dmd-high-power-replacement-board.html

Of course, re-seat the ribbon cable that goes from the CPU to the sound board to the DMD controller. This is a frequent source of problems.

The actual plasma glass display can fail, and can fail suddenly. In that case you are looking at $500 to buy plasma from Marco, or getting a LCD color replacement for the better part of $500. The good news is that the color display is awesome for your game, and worth doing.

Let us know what you find.

#4 84 days ago

For grins make sure the ribbon cable is plugged in the right direction. If it is the DMD, you can get a Pin2dmd for a half the price of color dmd. Pinside member Phoerber was selling them for WCS. They look nice.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/world-cup-soccer-94-owners-everyone-welcome/page/169#post-8003570

#5 84 days ago

If indeed the high voltage section is failing as PinRetail described there are a few options, listed here from cheap to expensive:

1. Rebuilt HV section by soldering all new parts on the PCB. A kit with parts will cost you about 15 USD. However most likely your plasma screen is degassing and will draw more and more power. Therefore it might be a temp fix as it will fail again and it is only for experienced soldering champions.

2. Ready made Piggyback HV section board. About 70 USD. Same disadvantage as above: might be short lived solution.

3. Replace dmd with low voltage monochrome version. About 220 USD. Because of the low voltage you connect it to the 12v pwoer on the board and the HV section will not be used. You can remove fuses F601 and F602

4. Replace dmd with Pin2DMD. It is color and low voltage. About 220 USD

5 Replace dmd with ColorDMD. Color and low voltage. 500 USD+

When it happened to me I choose option 4: best value for money.
I am not keen on option 1 or 2. A 30 year old plasma DMD is end of life: get rid of it.

#6 84 days ago

Thanks everyone! So I came down this morning and the display is now working fine. Not sure what to make of it! However, on my first playthrough noticed that the Assist saucer won't kick the ball hard enough to make it into the goal. This has never been an issue before. Checked it and it seemed a little gummed up so I cleaned it out and now it articulates smoothly, but still doesn't kick the out the ball hard enough to score. Also, while playing, the Goal VUK kicked the ball straight out onto the playfield instead of up into the gold ramp return. Haven't seen that before! Played again and it worked fine a few times and then launched one out the front again... thoughts?

#7 84 days ago
Quoted from pdxpinduck:

Thanks everyone! So I came down this morning and the display is now working fine. Not sure what to make of it! However, on my first playthrough noticed that the Assist saucer won't kick the ball hard enough to make it into the goal. This has never been an issue before. Checked it and it seemed a little gummed up so I cleaned it out and now it articulates smoothly, but still doesn't kick the out the ball hard enough to score. Also, while playing, the Goal VUK kicked the ball straight out onto the playfield instead of up into the gold ramp return. Haven't seen that before! Played again and it worked fine a few times and then launched one out the front again... thoughts?

You stripped the playfield down. Is it possible that the wire cage above the VUK is off center now?

You pretty much don't EVER oil anything in a pinball. But one exception is the kickout's for the saucer. That little pivot point usually benefits from being pulled apart and a drop of oil put on it when you reassemble. (slingshots are another point where a drop of oil after being cleaned is a good idea).

Most of the reason a saucer kick out won't get good transfer of force is that it is out of alignment (odd, if you haven't taken this off the bottom of the playfield...), or the spring, on the two parts of the 'C' in this mechanism is too weak. This pretty much only happens when someone sabotages your machine. Someone has to put a weak spring here. Or the strike point of the 'C' mechanism is flattened.

If the guide plate above the saucer wasn't tightened down, that can use up some force and not allow the ball to get to the goalie also.

All of these are unusual mechanical problems. Look hard at how the mechanisms that are doing strange things are working. Make some adjustments.

Also, make sure your pinball is level, and set the playfield pitch to 6.5 degrees to 7.0 degrees (there is an app for that on your phone).

#8 84 days ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

You stripped the playfield down. Is it possible that the wire cage above the VUK is off center now?
You pretty much don't EVER oil anything in a pinball. But one exception is the kickout's for the saucer. That little pivot point usually benefits from being pulled apart and a drop of oil put on it when you reassemble. (slingshots are another point where a drop of oil after being cleaned is a good idea).
Most of the reason a saucer kick out won't get good transfer of force is that it is out of alignment (odd, if you haven't taken this off the bottom of the playfield...), or the spring, on the two parts of the 'C' in this mechanism is too weak. This pretty much only happens when someone sabotages your machine. Someone has to put a weak spring here. Or the strike point of the 'C' mechanism is flattened.
If the guide plate above the saucer wasn't tightened down, that can use up some force and not allow the ball to get to the goalie also.
All of these are unusual mechanical problems. Look hard at how the mechanisms that are doing strange things are working. Make some adjustments.
Also, make sure your pinball is level, and set the playfield pitch to 6.5 degrees to 7.0 degrees (there is an app for that on your phone).

Everything is tightened down above and under and I'm at a 6.5 degree pitch. Still doesn't work like it did a few weeks ago. Don't see any issues with the mechanics. I'm stumped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Phoenix, AZ
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Philadelphia, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs94-display-just-died and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.