(Topic ID: 343611)

United StarDust shuffle alley player one keeps adding scores

By jetmechinnc

8 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8831 (resized).jpeg
    #1 8 months ago

Good afternoon,

I'm working on restoring a 1961 United Stardust Shuffle Alley. This shuffle alley has 7 different games. So far, I have the game working correctly it seems for the following games (and thankfully I do have the wiring diagram):

1. Strikes
    2. Progressive
    3. Advance
    4. Spares

Game resets fine, plays up to 6 people, frame advance works correctly all the way to game over for these games.

Someone cut the coil wires to the Flash unit and I have not repaired the wires yet so unsure if that will work.

The problem I am having is with the Bonus game and the Regulation game. Once you start either of those games, player one keeps adding score after you throw the puck the first time and keeps adding points. It does light up shot 2. As I manipulate switches in the back, I can get it to go to player 2-6 and they play correctly. However once it gets back to player one, again, after the first puck, the score keeps adding.

Any help pointing to me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Then once the game is 100% I can break it down and repaint/refinish this cool piece of history.

Thank you,
    Jason

#2 8 months ago

Mopar. Calling “Mopar”! (he’s the man on these things )

#3 8 months ago
    Quoted from jetmechinnc:

player one keeps adding score after you throw the puck the first time and keeps adding points.

This sounds like a weird one.
    So on Player 1. If you get 9 pins on the 1st shot,
    it'll keep registering points in 9 point segments?
    The score motor's 1st position switches have to
    opening if the other players are working okay.
    The only difference when the 1st Player is up
    is the position of the Player Step Up Unit's wiper.
    I'd maybe inspect the Player Unit. Make sure the
    Wiper Board is clean, and carefully check the wire
    solder tabs. Also, that Wiper Board has snowshoe
    (spring loaded) wipers, right? You'll want to make
    sure those wipers are sliding in and out freely. Their
    not sticking a little bit. I take the Wiper off, lift the
    snowshoes upward, and put a couple drops of light
    weight oil (I like using Remmington Gun oil) in each
    small wiper hole guide, then move the wiper up and
    down a few times making sure they slide nicely.
    It still seems weird that the Player Unit would effect
    the Score Motor's 1st position run-out switch, but at
    the time, I can't think of what else would be causing
    it..
    Also, I wouldn't think it would effect it unless a strike
    or spare was made, but you may want to check the
    1st Players Strike/Spare Unit. Make sure it's resetting
    okay..

#4 8 months ago

Ok after changing some burnt out bulbs in the backbox, I noticed the “spare” light is always lit on player one. This maybe something?

#5 8 months ago

Should the 1st player wiper be moved over a bit?

IMG_8831 (resized).jpegIMG_8831 (resized).jpeg
    #6 8 months ago

Looking at the other ones, seems it does need adjustment.

#7 8 months ago

I will do some more testing, but after I adjusted the stepper,
    It all seems to be working!!!!! Fingers crossed I don’t have any other issues. Now to see about resoldering the wires to the flash motor and see if that works correctly.

Wow, never would have noticed the 1st player strike spare unit stepper since it’s impossible to see until I brought out my inspection mirror and changes out some burnt out bulbs!

#8 8 months ago

Now I noticed the 8 pin doesn’t always reset. Ugh
    Plus, doesn’t seem possible to get a strike. I’d assume there is a switch I need to readjust Uber the playfield.

#9 8 months ago
    Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I noticed the “spare” light is always lit on player one. This maybe something?

Yes, the 1st Player's Strike/Spare Step Up remaining on a Spare or Strike
    would tell the machine to keep adding points. Its Wiper not making good
    contact with its Wiper Point can cause it not to reset.
    In the 50s, those Strike/Spare wiper boards would warp from the pressure
    of the Wiper, so United stuck a small piece of board, half rubber type ball,
    or something between the Strike/Spare Unit's frame, and the back of the
    Wiper Board which solved the problem, but that created another one. The
    Wiper itself would warp and then loose true contact to the Wiper Board.
    United then stiffened up the Wiper by adding metal which I see yours have.
    Does it have something between the frame and back of the Wiper Board to
    keep it from bending away from the wiper? If so, but still not making good
    contact, you can take the wiper off, and bend the blades a little inward so when
    placed back on, it'll have more tension on the Wiper Board. It's always a good
    idea to put a thin layer of lube on the Wiper Board after cleaning..

1 week later
    #10 7 months ago

Ok I jumpered the flash motor. The coil energizes when the game is selected and the motor keeps rotating the wipers and makes lights come on and off on the playfield/ backglass. Is it supposed to keep rotating during the game or stop at points?

Wish I had a description of what is supposed to happen. Again all I have is the wiring diagram.

#11 7 months ago

On Flash, as soon as a pin goes up, the Flash should stop
    on a number.

#12 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

On Flash, as soon as a pin goes up, the Flash should stop
    on a number.

OK, I will check this out Monday on my day off. I didn't initially think the motor stopped spinning when I first tried it, nor did the coil release to stop the motor. It did go to shot two and added scores, but I think the lights remained ever changing. I will also have to go over the wiring diagram to see what switch turns off the coil at the motor. Any idea on this one? I initially thought it would be the back row of switches that tell it to go to second shot.

#13 7 months ago

Yes, the last set of Rollovers energize the 1st and 2nd Shot Relays, but I'm
    pretty sure the Flash Motor (along with its coil) should de-energize once a
    Pin Relay is energized.
    If you can, shoot a pic of the Flash Motor's circuitry off the schematic..

#14 7 months ago

Ok so it seems flash does work after all, but will require adjustment. Once you select the game, the motor starts, coil releases. And as you stated, once you slide the first puck, the motor stops and waits for the second shot.

Seems however the fingers are not aligned perfectly. Will have to dismantle, clean it, then adjust. Cool!

Just don’t understand the rules on this one. Will have to look them all up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/united-stardust-shuffle-alley-player-one-keeps-adding-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.