• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240414_215832 (resized).jpg
20240414_223148 (resized).jpg
#1 70 days ago

Finally biting the bullet and making a thread for my homebrew. It will be slow going, but I have a few questions.

The theme of my game will be race cars and racing. There will be a few different modes within the pin to complete. The general playfield layout and mode style will very closely follow #Elvira's Scared Stiff. This will not be a retheme as mechs and modes will change. I plan to keep the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of the playfield the same for slings and flippers, inserts, etc. As my first homebrew, taking the layout of this machine felt good as it has amazing flow and is always a good time when I play it. Also, it's not too complex. I love the cross ramps, where when you make the ramp shot, it brings it back to the same flipper.

The biggest layout changes will be where the crate is, I'm going to have a 4cyl engine mech that stores locked balls in its cylinders. Also, going around the mech is an inner orbit shot like the newer starwars stern. The engine is my main mech for the game, as well as a turbo Spinner. Originally i wanted to do a v10 or v8 but after playing many multiball sessions, I realize more than 3 balls gets crazy.

The lower playfield will have a turn around with street signs for modes, the orbit shot will have a highway sign and there will be a pit stop where you enter the mode selection for race tracks.

The main mode will be track mode, where you choose a race track, and have to make right or left ramp shots to "make the turns". Your lap times will stay recorded between games as a mini subset of scoring. This should have a similar feel to pulling off combo shots in godzilla or starwars.

I want to add a drag race mode and have the "Christmas tree" of lights up the center where the elvira stiffometer is. I want to add a real time speed gate like Checkpoint had for a top speed mode.

Another mode is "autocross mode" where the leapers are traffic cones and they pop when you hit them. Hit them all to finish the mode. In wizard mode, if you hit the cones, you add time to lap times or get booted out of the mode, haven't decided how hard to make it, but I thought that would be a fun idea.

Maybe a rally mode and a drift mode if I can figure out some fun stuff that would distinguish these modes from the main track mode.

I also wanted to have an HO slot car in a burnout box that will trigger when you get something good, or spin out. Pop bumpers will have NoS bottles as caps. Lanes will be either "FAST" "GAS" or "e85"

I'm just laying it all out to see if any of this has been done already by other games. Corvette has a race mode, but I'm not sure what that entails. Seems the car themes have trickled off lately.

Has a game like this been done before? Am I reinventing the wheel? Or do I have something here worth exploring. It's a pretty solid vision in my head. Please let me know what you think.

I'm currently learning MPF. In terms of playfield construction, cabinet construction, and wiring, that should be the easy part for me as I'm pretty handy. Programming will be the worst. Im planning on using fast boards.

One big question I have as I start to load my playfield in CAD is, is there a place where existing games have the playfields sketched out already or scanned? A database of sorts or a template to follow?

Also, I have inventor 360 and I'm not a big fan of it. What are some cad softwares yall recommend? I used to be a cad designer and I'm familiar with all the big names, creo, solidworks, Catia, etc. That being said, those are expensive and I don't have a license.

#2 69 days ago

Consider attending Pintastic New England to see the homebrew developers panel and visit with several game creators in the special room devoted to homebrew games.
.................David Marston

#3 62 days ago

First off, welcome to the homebrew club!
I don't think there is a solid formula despite the "experts". I'm on my second, and a full build, as well as a retheme of supersonic to a newer flashier version.
Cad is what your comfy with, but plasticity seems pretty easy, and fusion us another popular choice.

Regardless of what's "been done", everything has been attempted including magics girls attempt at the levitating ball. The idea is to make it your own.
Loops have been done, but not your loop.
There are a thousand ways to go about this, and all have the same goal.
Me, I build my cabs first, cuz that's my comfort zone, carpentry, and electrical. For my white wood, I'm not like others... I draw, I put physical items on it, and I fling balls. Nothing wrong with a cad version or vpx , but that again is not my thing. I'm better putting hands on stuff. Rearranged my pf a dozen or more times until liked the shots, and the positions of things. We( fellow homebrewers) have a discord channel we share and help on. If your interested let me know, and I'll be glad to add you. Most of all, have fun, pinball is hard enough, don't make it harder on yourself.

1 month later
#4 17 days ago

Working on my main mech. It's an engine that eats the balls for multiball. It will spin around for certain events during gameplay and I'm planning to have LEDs in the cylinders to simulate spark plugs and combustion.

Next is the intake manifold and optos to make sure each cylinder gets fed properly.

Exhaust is going to be a cool wireform.

20240414_215832 (resized).jpg20240414_215832 (resized).jpg20240414_223148 (resized).jpg20240414_223148 (resized).jpg

#5 16 days ago

Love the idea, and your exhaust ramp is fantastic!

#6 14 days ago

Oh yes, another crazy project !
Your main toy looks like à very nice idea !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 49.00
£ 38.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Shepherdstown, WV
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Smyrna, TN
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turbo-a-pinball-racing-homebrew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.