IMG_5211 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2532 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5773 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5780 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5781 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5782 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,504 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 71.
#3451 6 months ago

Yes, pretty much

#3453 6 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I see one Foo LE sold at a price of $9500 (obo) so it’s possible it was even lower.
I saw one Maiden pro NIB ( new run with IC) sold for $6k
Prices are crazy low, I lost $1800 on my Haggis Fathom.
I’m not into pinball to make money more for fun.

Remember though we only lose money when we SELL!
The value is having it not the flip.

#3454 6 months ago

We had a fun long Venom launch party the day after Halloween.
I gave out Venom comic books, PBR & Stern swag and it was my 100th IFPA event.

Some footage...

#3455 6 months ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I agree, my Stern Potc I’ve owned for 17 years. I bought it from a retailer so I paid more than the going rate at the time because I didn’t know what they were supposed to be selling for. But over the years it’d be as if I paid only ~$5/week.

That’s not factoring in the value of the pin currently.

It’s mostly the quick flippers who buy and sell it in a few weeks or months that lose real money.

I lost money on several pins, one was XMLE I owned it 3-4 years and traded it for TWD that I’ve owned for 7 years. So my ownership time for the two pins is over 10 years and counting. Plus the value of the pin currently would cover its original cost.

#3456 6 months ago

My hype is still on the honeymoon stage, it’ll be another thing to check back in a year to see if I’m still playing it a lot.

#3457 6 months ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Couldn’t agree more, the value is in having a great time with family and friends. The value in resale is the anticipation of what’s going to take its place!! Of course we want to make money to pay for the next one but that’s not really my focus.

#3458 6 months ago

I've put finally put in a couple hours on Venom over the past week (a premium) so I think I'm ready to give my half-assed review:

It stinks.

I don't like the layout, it seems like every shot is designed to be backhanded, and every forehand is designed to brick (besides the orbits). The rules are confusing and unappealing. The theme isn't up my alley. The pop area is pointless, and the 'rapid fire ball release' system doesn't add anything to the game except for extra balls on the playfield (happened to me twice; fortunately the game didn't go into bonus countdown when I lost a ball). Flashing GI is supposed to bring excitement but it's just distracting (same as the staged balls flying all over the place for no reason all the time a la Rollergames).

Why is the button flashing ALL THE TIME? I press it. I hold it down. It seems to make noises but doesn't seem to help me.

Good stuff?
I like the original music! The doppleganger is fun to shot at when it flops out.

But yeah this one doesn't do much for me. Just didn't have me wanting to come back and play more.

#3459 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've put finally put in a couple hours on Venom over the past week (a premium) so I think I'm ready to give my half-assed review:
It stinks.
I don't like the layout, it seems like every shot is designed to be backhanded, and every forehand is designed to brick (besides the orbits). The rules are confusing and unappealing. The theme isn't up my alley. The pop area is pointless, and the 'rapid fire ball release' system doesn't add anything to the game except for extra balls on the playfield (happened to me twice; fortunately the game didn't go into bonus countdown when I lost a ball). Flashing GI is supposed to bring excitement but it's just distracting (same as the staged balls flying all over the place for no reason all the time a la Rollergames).
Why is the button flashing ALL THE TIME? I press it. I hold it down. It seems to make noises but doesn't seem to help me.
Good stuff?
I like the original music! The doppleganger is fun to shot at when it flops out.
But yeah this one doesn't do much for me. Just didn't have me wanting to come back and play more.

I agree with your points. I don’t think it stinks but it’s not as complete a pin as for example DP or SM (I’m saying SM or DP because those are in the same wheelhouse).

The code is not complete tho, and stepping up to it it’s not quite clear about the mini mode shots and the flashing action button is not intuitive. I mean it’s almost a pin you have to read the rules a lot to understand and still it seems to me there are gaps or missing areas. But like I said maybe the code will mature.

I don’t think it’s a great standalone pin right now but I do like the progress aspect that allows us to reach the Wizard modes. On most other pins I’ll never see those types of modes or if I do see it’ll be like once in a blue moon. And Venom shows me that it’s one thing getting to a wizard mode it’s another thing beating the mode.

To me while I think traditional code is still the best, meaning no saving progress. But that said it means the back half of the code is never seen by me. Unless there’s a challenge mode like in JP for example.

Great in a large collection imo.

#3460 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't like the layout, it seems like every shot is designed to be backhanded, and every forehand is designed to brick (besides the orbits).

This is my main complaint. I'm currently borrowing a pro and might experiment with a normal flipper angle to remove some of the backhands and hopefully make forehands feel better. Just never liked shooting any game with flat bats.

#3461 6 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

This is my main complaint. I'm currently borrowing a pro and might experiment with a normal flipper angle to remove some of the backhands and hopefully make forehands feel better. Just never liked shooting any game with flat bats.

This is a great game to borrow!

#3462 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a great game to borrow!

I’m also curious if it’ll be done once you beat the game a few times.

Quoted from yancy:

That’s a good point, it makes me feel like I can’t play pinball because it feels like I need to catch the ball and shoot backhand more than straight forward shooting. Maybe I’ll try adjusting the flipper angle.

#3463 6 months ago

What flipper rubbers are you guys playing with?
With titans, backhanding and forehanding, every shot goes smoothly.
Pitch is at 7.2°, flipper power at 245.

#3464 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

What flipper rubbers are you guys playing with?
With titans, backhanding and forehanding, every shot goes smoothly.
Pitch is at 7.2°, flipper power at 245.

I've got Titan silicone on precision flippers in my Venom LE and the combo has definitely helped with the forehand shots. Just beat Knull for the 2nd time today, bringing my speed run time from 8h19m to 3h57m (I'm only half as lousy, heh).

I'm at ~6.5º, though... I tried 7º and too many shots just were rolling back down ramps, even with 'cold' flippers at max power, plus the rebounds were murderous.

Edit: The Argo Lab shot continues to be the most difficult to hit, at least for me. I can't backhand that to save my life.

#3465 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It stinks.
Good stuff?

Interesting take - because generally I'm disappointed when you can't backhand shots on games, but has this one taken it a step too far and been designed around it?

I was definitely nervous about the fast lock system regarding what happens when you make a shot but the ball then falls off the ramp and how the game will handle a sudden invalid 2 ball scenario. I do think this will eventually be cleared up both by software and people dialling in their games though.

I did think on the few games Ive had so far that the fast locks kept the game going non stop which is something I really liked - and was the main reason i bought one (the other reason being the saved progress I think my son will dig it especially). Ah well, I guess I will find out in a few weeks when I get the chance to dive in a lot more.

#3466 6 months ago

I will say the prem is growing on me a bit, theres a place local that has a prem and i've been playing it quite a bit. The layout is still weak and the shots are not very interesting but at least on the prem you get a little more variety. I agree with the guy above the pops feel pointless, but i really enjoy bashing carnage and i like that center ramp that goes into the wire form. I still feel like this would be a really bad home pin especially if it was in small 2 or 3 pin collection. Not a fan of the video game swiping at the bad guys thing on the LCD. I want to play pinball not stare at a lcd screen. I do like how fast it plays and the swinging target thing is really fun to shoot at.

But it feels like the most extreme fan layout i've ever seen on a pinball machine. And there really are no unique or satisfying shots. This is a pin i could see doing very well on location but as a home pin it would get old fast.

Still the premium is enjoyable to me and much much better experience then the pro.

#3467 6 months ago

Make sure y’all get this mod. I don’t typically change things from the original often but for $45. This really makes that shot look like the daily bugle.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1282-rocket-city-pinball/09611-daily-bugle-building-mod-for-venom-a-rocketflip-team-up

IMG_5769 (resized).jpegIMG_5769 (resized).jpegIMG_5773 (resized).jpegIMG_5773 (resized).jpegIMG_5780 (resized).jpegIMG_5780 (resized).jpegIMG_5781 (resized).jpegIMG_5781 (resized).jpegIMG_5782 (resized).jpegIMG_5782 (resized).jpeg

#3468 6 months ago

I’ve set my game up and it plays fast and great!!
However a bunch of airballs and balls get stuck here:

Needs some improvement, I’ll 3D print something.

By the way, why are people selling these games for less than 10K when they are just a dew dats unboxed?? The code is not even finished yet, nor have all been delivered yet.

It’s an expensive 50 games if you unpack and sell… Why!??

IMG_2532 (resized).jpegIMG_2532 (resized).jpeg

#3469 6 months ago

Why so much hate for Venom?

I have been playing pinball for more than 30 years. I have seen most of the machines. I realy think at this moment(can change of course) this is one of the best Sterns, and the software is not even complete.

Whats wrong with the shots? You "all" don't like it because its a fan layout? Why does "everbody" likes Stranger Things so much that they are making a re run of this also great machine? I also have a Stranger Things, its great, i love playing it. For me it is a bit to easy but getting to the final wizard mode is still very hard.

Venom is way harder, when you miss a shot there is a very big change it goes away. But i get a way bigger adrenaline feeling on Venom then on Stranger Things.

If you play only a few games on it and you dont understand a little bit of the rules, and you get like 10-50 mil. You walk away and thinks its crap, it does not have to be crap.

For me Venom is like playing AFM and MM when they first came out. I get a feeling that when its game over i want to start another and another. This i have not had many years.

#3470 6 months ago
Quoted from Krid_the_Insane:

I have been playing pinball for more than 30 years. I have seen most of the machines. I realy think at this moment(can change of course) this is one of the best Sterns, and the software is not even complete.
Whats wrong with the shots? You "all" don't like it because its a fan layout? Why does "everbody" likes Stranger Things so much that they are making a re run of this also great machine? I also have a Stranger Things, its great, i love playing it. For me it is a bit to easy but getting to the final wizard mode is still very hard.
Venom is way harder, when you miss a shot there is a very big change it goes away. But i get a way bigger adrenaline feeling on Venom then on Stranger Things.
If you play only a few games on it and you dont understand a little bit of the rules, and you get like 10-50 mil. You walk away and thinks its crap, it does not have to be crap.
For me Venom is like playing AFM and MM when they first came out. I get a feeling that when its game over i want to start another and another. This i have not had many years.

I 100% agree with this comment.
Same feelings here.

#3471 6 months ago
Quoted from Pinballnewb01:

I 100% agree with this comment.
Same feelings here.

Ditto.

#3473 6 months ago

I don't trap the ball at all in this game, I shoot on the fly constantly, it's fast and fun...I need to learn the rule set this week, but I'm really enjoying this pin so far. B Eddy is making fast, frenetic heart pounders with this and StH (Which I loved immediately upon release)
Code will continue to mature, and I love the theme...LE looks gorgeous, so I'm a happy buyer so far.

#3474 6 months ago

It’s true, but I’ve seen this play out countless times like with Godfather, Toy Story, Bond, etc.

It’s odd that some games get mostly flowers and some get rotten tomatoes but at the end of the day they are fun pins.

I saw one review of Venom where the guy wrote he liked the pin layout, but he hates it because of micro transactions. Stern is rolling out saved progress so they can charge us every time we play even if we own it.

But he hates Venom’s ‘micro transactions’ and has 750 games rated higher.

Here’s a sample of the review

“I have not seen a fan layout with rules this good since Attack From Mars. This game has the "try this and let's see what happens" of Dwight Sullivan and the competitive experience and knowledge of Raymond Davidson. I was not expecting to enjoy this game as much as I did…”

#3475 6 months ago
Quoted from rai:

he hates it because of micro transactions. Stern is rolling out saved progress so they can charge us every time we play even if we own it.
But he hates Venom’s ‘micro transactions’ and has 750 games rated higher.

What the hell is he talking about? There are no 'microtransactions' in this game.

#3476 6 months ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

What the hell is he talking about? There are no 'microtransactions' in this game.

He’s like Nostradamus, he sees IC on a pin and automatically he’s looking 5 steps ahead and it’s not a pinball machine it’s Candy Crush or Fortnight or whatever you need to pay to play.

Just read the review by Caucasian2step
IMG_5211 (resized).jpegIMG_5211 (resized).jpeg

#3477 6 months ago

I think a lot of the "hate" for venom is Keith Elwin has set the bar so high with his amazing layouts and ramps and his unique kinetic satisfactions shots. That when people see venom it's just a huge empty play-field. While i think the pro is so stripped it's just not fun at all. I've been playing the premium quite a bit and it's really grown on me i think it's a really fun fast pin and premium really offers a lot more. I think stern mad a big mistake stripping down the pro so much i think it's always going to get hate. But I think the prem could end up being a real gem. With that said I don't find any of the shots really unique or satisfying so it's going to really rely on code.

But even on the prem theres like nothing on the bottom 3/4 of the machine and i can see how that can be a turn off. But man people are selling le's they got for less then 10K... You spend that kind of money on an LE I would think you would give it more time

#3478 6 months ago

It's finally rated in the top 100! Well, kind of.

1 month later
#3479 5 months ago

Thanks to Pinsider Headshothills for sending some pics of the Bloody Venom TV Mod installed!
Venom Installed 2a (resized).jpgVenom Installed 2a (resized).jpg

Venom Installed 3a (resized).jpgVenom Installed 3a (resized).jpgVenom Installed 1a (resized).jpgVenom Installed 1a (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#3480 4 months ago

Anyone know how to fix the vertical ramp shot from shooting off of the habitrail because it's going too fast? It's happened a few times so far.

#3481 4 months ago

I haven't yet. I've tried lowering flipper powers, but it is going to need some plastic cover. It's a drag when it flies off behind the Mech on Agent Venom and have to wait for ball search to release it.

That tv mod looks cool, maybe if could have a plastic attached to it to lead down the ramp its on?!

#3482 4 months ago

Finally beat this clown! I choose wolverine as my prize! Hopefully doesn’t disappoint.

C5CE2420-1B69-473F-A450-4AF87F863338 (resized).jpegC5CE2420-1B69-473F-A450-4AF87F863338 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#3483 4 months ago

Today is MOD launch Day! we have several to add to our Venom Lineup and they will be listed shortly!

To kick off launch day I'll start with a much needed fix for Prem/LE owners. The airballs that are pounding the playfield off the Life Foundation vertical scoop wireform!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1472-crcades/10163-venom-life-foundation-wireform-airball-launch-eliminator

LIFE FOUNDATION wireworm airball launch eliminator - you can now play your Prem/LE game at full throttle as it’s intended WITHOUT the damaging airballs flying off the top wireworm onto the playfield below!

Easy clip on design and laser cut acrylic that protects your game, restores full throttle, heart pounding speed and doesn’t require tools to install!

IMG_9109 (resized).jpegIMG_9109 (resized).jpegIMG_9110 (resized).jpegIMG_9110 (resized).jpegIMG_9104 (resized).jpegIMG_9104 (resized).jpegIMG_9105 (resized).jpegIMG_9105 (resized).jpeg
#3484 4 months ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Anyone know how to fix the vertical ramp shot from shooting off of the habitrail because it's going too fast? It's happened a few times so far.

This hasn't given me any trouble. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1472-crcades/10163-venom-life-foundation-wireform-airball-launch-eliminator

#3485 4 months ago

I play an LE at a location locally and I love it. It's a unique game and it's fun. I'm going to focus on the rules more closely next time I go.

Zero hate from me.

#3486 4 months ago

Today is Venom MOD LAUNCH day so I'm kicking it off with giving away $2500 in VENOM MODS MODS MODS!!
These were so much fun to R&D and I'm thrilled with how they turned out and match so well with my machines!

Here's the links to the sign up pages.... Good LUCK!

RAVENCROFT Institute MOD Video:

GIVE AWAY PAGE: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ravencroft-institute-for-venom-pinball-mods-by-crcades

Venom BELL TOWER Building MOD Video:

GIVE AWAY PAGE: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/venom-bell-tower-building-venom-mods-by-crcades-

LIFE FOUNDATION Venom OOZE Canister MOD

GIVE AWAY PAGE: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/life-foundation-venom-ooze-canisters-venom-mods-by-crcades

#3487 3 months ago

Anti-Sway Target Bracket on Venom Pro pinball machine by Stern Pinball

#3489 3 months ago

Wow. Pinside staff gave this a rating of 5.8! Has any modern game ever received a lower score from the staff?

#3490 3 months ago

We've been playing the snot out of my Venom pro. It's got that keep hitting the start button thing going on.

#3491 3 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Wow. Pinside staff gave this a rating of 5.8! Has any modern game ever received a lower score from the staff?

Venom Premium and above is a really fun game on location. My issues with the game is that it's so empty from the top 3/4 down it feels unfinished. And the shots that it does have feel very boring, none of the shots feel unique or satisfying . And whats the point to having pops when you can't see them? With all that said the premium and le still feel like a soild 7.5 - 8. The fast lock is really cool, the video modes sound and artworks are amazing. And the insider connect stuff is super innovative.

Now the pro that feels like one of the 5k at home pins. You're taking a already barren pin and stripping it even more. Not a terrible game at all imo, but it's nothing spectacular and with the price of pinball's right now there are just so many better options out there.

#3492 3 months ago
Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

Venom Premium and above is a really fun game on location. My issues with the game is that it's so empty from the top 3/4 down it feels unfinished. And the shots that it does have feel very boring, none of the shots feel unique or satisfying . And whats the point to having pops when you can't see them? With all that said the premium and le still feel like a soild 7.5 - 8. The fast lock is really cool, the video modes sound and artworks are amazing. And the insider connect stuff is super innovative.
Now the pro that feels like one of the 5k at home pins. You're taking a already barren pin and stripping it even more. Not a terrible game at all imo, but it's nothing spectacular and with the price of pinball's right now there are just so many better options out there.

#3493 3 months ago

Now the pro that feels like one of the 5k at home pins. You're taking a already barren pin and stripping it even more. Not a terrible game at all imo, but it's nothing spectacular and with the price of pinball's right now there are just so many better options out there. Just my opinion.

#3494 3 months ago

Choose Your Host ... Change the Game. A sneaky underrated yet concise hook integrated around the game playfield and ruleset.

#3495 3 months ago

The bottom line with Venom is if you want a game that allows the player different options such as, but not limited to:

+ make it easy (saved progression), hard (traditional pin experience), expert (impossible mode)

+ quick games (speed runs with saved progression), longer games (traditional pin experience).

+ modes change based on your level, whether you play saved progression or not. I can’t think of any other game that does this? I’m creeping up on 1000 plays on my venom and Just last weekend I played Phage at level 12 and never experienced the mode playing so differently than previous games. Not to mention half the time I defeat Phage during Mayhem.

Bottom line is if you want a game that’s fun as sh*t and not only has a physical layout that changes, but a ruleset that changes, giving you tons of variety; then this is the pin for you. If not, move on. It’s that simple. Most people won’t get this game in <100 plays. It’s why games like this are way more interesting in home environment, for me personally.

#3496 3 months ago

I joined the club last weekend as a got a great deal on a barely used (< 200 plays) HUO Venom premium from ZMeny at flipnout, and I have to say I was super happy with the whole experience, I was always worried about having a used game shipped as all I've ever done was buy NIB shipped, but man on man that thing was protected like a fortress really great experience and I will not hesitate to buy used from them and have it shipped in the future.

anyway
I added my own armor today, I really like it

if anyone is interested I have them for sale
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1463-arcade-cabinetscom/09108-pinbawlers-flipper-button-wear-protectors-venom-spiderman

venom-deluxe-web-silver (resized).JPGvenom-deluxe-web-silver (resized).JPG
#3497 3 months ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The bottom line with Venom is if you want a game that allows the player different options such as, but not limited to:
+ make it easy (saved progression), hard (traditional pin experience), expert (impossible mode)
+ quick games (speed runs with saved progression), longer games (traditional pin experience).
+ modes change based on your level, whether you play saved progression or not. I can’t think of any other game that does this? I’m creeping up on 1000 plays on my venom and Just last weekend I played Phage at level 12 and never experienced the mode playing so differently than previous games. Not to mention half the time I defeat Phage during Mayhem.
Bottom line is if you want a game that’s fun as sh*t and not only has a physical layout that changes, but a ruleset that changes, giving you tons of variety; then this is the pin for you. If not, move on. It’s that simple. Most people won’t get this game in <100 plays. It’s why games like this are way more interesting in home environment, for me personally.

Agreed, I'm 200 plays in and it's starting to click...

#3498 3 months ago

I made the decision(mistake?) to have Pro at our location - Literally one of the worst performing pins we've had in ages. Initial play for the first couple of weeks was decent but then it dropped off like a stone and I've since sold it it as it was literally just sitting there eating amps. Other locations may have had a different experience with it - but that was ours for sure.

I'd have to agree, I can see where premium might be better in an home environment. The pro was too stripped down (imo) with a ruleset that didn't seem to interest customers at all. It certainly didn't hold many peoples interest past a few plays and they'd move on.

2 weeks later
#3499 3 months ago

Tonight’s the drawing! It’s not too late to enter to win up to $2500 in FREE MODS by CRCades!

#3500 3 months ago
Quoted from CRCades:

Tonight’s the drawing! It’s not too late to enter to win up to $2500 in FREE MODS by CRCades!

How do I sign up?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 14.99
Lighting - Other
FlipMods

Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 169.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnt Cabins, PA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 55.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Duluth, MINNESOTA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 26.50
$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

There are 3,504 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-venom-hype-thread-symboits-welcome/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.