(Topic ID: 195163)

Stern - SOS - Same ole S**T - TNA --- The new pinball

By Barakawins1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SW Capture (resized).JPG
    waahmbulance (resized).jpg
    IMG_0791 (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Watching Total Nuclear Annihilation is a welcoming surprise. Great music, game play and overall package. I'm not sure about the video
    as there isn't that much there from what I could see yet. But game play wise and sound package is awesome. Stern SOS I'm over. Incomplete code, play field ghosting which seems to be standard with the new packages, cabinet and decal failures.... I'm moving my money to Spooky.. Thanks for listening to Pinside Spooky Pinball, I think you've now stumbled upon the fun factor!

#2 6 years ago

So To sum up:

Stern, virtually no video (Star Wars 6 weeks ago): "another ripoff! What are they hiding?! Same old shit! It sucks! I'm out!!"

TNA, virtually no video: "innovative! Breath of fresh air! The future of pinball! Where do I send my cash?!?!"

Star Wars playfield: "barren, not
    Enough toys, cheap looking ripoff!"

TNA playfield: "barren, no toys or ramps, a triumph of simplicity! I love it!!!"

Well played man!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So To sum up:
    Stern, virtually no video (Star Wars 6 weeks ago): "another ripoff! What are they hiding?! Same old shit! It sucks! I'm out!!"
    TNA, virtually no video: "innovative! Breath of fresh air! The future of pinball! Where do I send my cash?!?!"
    Star Wars playfield: "barren, not
    Enough toys, cheap looking ripoff!"
    TNA playfield: "barren, no toys or ramps, a triumph of simplicity! I love it!!!"
    Well played man!

Quoted for truth.

#5 6 years ago

I played SW pro yesterday and it reminded me of those street level games Gottlieb tried in the early 90s. Then it made me think I might want to pick up another Big Hurt.

Don't get wrong, I'm sure Steve Ritchie did the best he could with the allotted budget.

I'll give my honest revue after I get to play TNA as well.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll give my honest revue after I get to play TNA as well.

I can't wait for the O-Din Revue.

Tap dance number about how "old man themes suck?"

A slow ballad of regret accompanied only on the piano about the dalliance with Batman?

As long as there's a top hat involved, I'm on board, baby!

(also, Street level games had no ramps and SW has a bunch. And Big Hurt wasn't a street level game. But who's keeping track anyway)

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Big Hurt wasn't a street level game.

No it wasn't. By today's standards it would be one notch above a SuperLE. Which is what got me thinking....

#8 6 years ago

Completely agree Crazylevi. So for 6 grand you guys can't wait for this simpler game, but 5 grand will get you a Star Wars designed by Steve Ritchie, and it is crazy fast and very challenging. What am I missing?

#9 6 years ago

Awesome! I'll buy your POS Tron LE for a POS price. Since it's the SOS...

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjames:

Completely agree Crazylevi. So for 6 grand you guys can't wait for this simpler game, but 5 grand will get you a Star Wars designed by Steve Ritchie, and it is crazy fast and very challenging. What am I missing?

Nothing. He's missing rational thought.

#11 6 years ago

Stern has had QC problems, but if you look at their current lineup of pins; MET, AC/DC, GB, AS, SW, it's pretty damn good.

#12 6 years ago

Am I the only one who doesn't seem to be interested in TNA?
    I don't see what the big fuss is about...

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Haven't you heard? Street level at a premium price is where it's at.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Nope. Me, neither. But I didn't get Whoa Nellie, either.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But it had big Boobs! What else do you need to know ?

#16 6 years ago

That's the TNA that's cool

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You look silly when you make that comparison.

Nothing wrong with not liking a game, but when you make silly comparisons as a way to dump on a game it shows your true bias (or your iggnorance for what the game offers?)

#18 6 years ago

Hmm, even if it plays really great, for the price you could pickup Flash Gordon, Black Knight, Eight Ball Deluxe and depending on condition maybe another pin or two. Yeah no thanks. Not interested...

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You look silly when you make that comparison.
    Nothing wrong with not liking a game, but when you make silly comparisons as a way to dump on a game it shows your true bias (or your iggnorance for what the game offers?)

WTF are you talking about? WNBJM was another retro-looking game. Are you trying to say that TNA is NOT supposed to harken back to another period of pinball?

And I look silly without making comparisons. You look silly when you say that.

#20 6 years ago

I don't think it can possibly be anywhere near the game Flash Gordon is, but I will reserve my honest revue for when I play it. Which is what everybody else should do.

#21 6 years ago

Another SOS thread to drain.....

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

(or your iggnorance for what the game offers?

If you're going to take a jab at someones ignorance, you should at least spell the word correctly.

#24 6 years ago

I just spent a couple of hours on Big Hurt tonight. What a great game. You should absolutely get another

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from RyThom:

I just spent a couple of hours on Big Hurt tonight. What a great game. You should absolutely get another

Goes nicely with Shaq Attack!

#26 6 years ago

Dude, WTF.... this post topic sucks. Lately, Every time I read pinside, I feel like I walked into a dirty strip club. At first it may feel great, but later just a bad idea.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You know it's "review," right?

Not when yer wearin' a ten gallon hat!

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#28 6 years ago

I'm gonna add some ramps to a Flash and make my own SW. Yee haw !

#29 6 years ago

Nothing good ever happens at a strip club...well, I did play quite a few good games of nine ball--drank way too much beer, spent too much money, ate some terrible food, and had numerous conversations with complete (mostly sketchy) strangers who were my best buddies by the end of the night. For the life of me I can't recall why I went there in the fist place...

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

My take on it after playing one game at TPF on a early version with no artwork is that the gameplay/timing is impressive and engaging. Sounds were pretty cool. I can see the potential. Thumbs up from me.

I'm not a buyer for home use at $6k, but I will play it on location, and play them at festivals/expos.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

but I will reserve my honest revue for when I play it. Which is what everybody else should do.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well with o-din it sorta depends. He likes a lot of those classics from the mid 60's.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1262&picno=6234&zoom=1

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That is why the post you made that I have quoted below was so funny knowing the definition of the word "revue".

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can't wait for the O-Din Revue.
    Tap dance number about how "old man themes suck?"
    A slow ballad of regret accompanied only on the piano about the dalliance with Batman?
    As long as there's a top hat involved, I'm on board, baby!
    (also, Street level games had no ramps and SW has a bunch. And Big Hurt wasn't a street level game. But who's keeping track anyway)

#33 6 years ago

I have revued all the facts and I must say I agree.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Quoted for truth

Not to jump on you but maybe you will look at this point of view.
    Stern has been around a long time,has a huge factory with alot of experienced employees and they are cutting corners and not standing behind their product but coming up with excuses as to not deal with the problems and tell you it's normal and everything will be alright.I don't want sunshine pushed up my a$$.
    Spooky..a very small,just getting going good pinball company that is competing with the 800lb gorilla of the industry and taking away customers. How is that happening?
    Dedication to the customer. Call Spooky and ask for help and see how fast people maneuver to get you the help you need. Code, Spooky has more dedication hands down! Don't you always see updates to Spooky code?
    Stern just said code refinements on their machines may be abandoned at any time. Does that sound like a company that wants your money to get the most value per dollar.

Don't get me wrong,I have Stern games that I love but some problems have popped up that I don't like and stern doesn't care.
    So I see Spooky getting my money as I love what they are doing.
    My rant is over.
    -Mike

#35 6 years ago

I've played both, and both are really great games.

#36 6 years ago

Maybe I am just getting fed up, but it seems like Pinside is overly rant filled these days. More than it ever has been. Some days I just want to drain the site. This thread is a prime reason.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Not to jump on you but maybe you will look at this point of view.
    Stern has been around a long time,has a huge factory with alot of experienced employees and they are cutting corners and not standing behind their product but coming up with excuses as to not deal with the problems and tell you it's normal and everything will be alright.I don't want sunshine pushed up my a$$.
    Spooky..a very small,just getting going good pinball company that is competing with the 800lb gorilla of the industry and taking away customers. How is that happening?
    Dedication to the customer. Call Spooky and ask for help and see how fast people maneuver to get you the help you need. Code, Spooky has more dedication hands down! Don't you always see updates to Spooky code?
    Stern just said code refinements on their machines may be abandoned at any time. Does that sound like a company that wants your money to get the most value per dollar.
    Don't get me wrong,I have Stern games that I love but some problems have popped up that I don't like and stern doesn't care.
    So I see Spooky getting my money as I love what they are doing.
    My rant is over.
    -Mike

Quoted for truth.

That is to say... I don't really have a horse in the race. Just noticed people getting all rah rah about one team or another and often contradict themselves in doing so. It's all good entertainment though.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Just noticed people getting all rah rah about one team or another and often contradict themselves in doing so.

I'm just in it for the revues.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Maybe I am just getting fed up, but it seems like Pinside is overly rant filled these days. More than it ever has been. Some days I just want to drain the site. This thread is a prime reason.

It does seem to have moved on from just people posting negative opinions, to people needing to start whole new threads declaring their negative opinions and then it kicking off a whole thing.

#40 6 years ago

Whats the point of this crap thread anyways? You are fed up with a company and instead want to go all in on a pin that's not out yet?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

SW is bad but at least you're playing the whole playfield, unlike TNA where you're only either playing the top half or bottom half of the field.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

SW is bad but at least you're playing the whole playfield

well, except for the pops

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Need to bring back the titties. Everybody is way too uptight up in here!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Need to bring back the titties. Everybody is way too uptight up in here!

They brought back the titties and nobody bought it (whoa Nellie).

Judging by the last week or so I really think nobody here has any idea what they actually want.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They brought back the titties and nobody bought it (whoa Nellie).
    Judging by the last week or so I really think nobody here has any idea what they actually want.
    » YouTube video

Well that was fun. I like how the makeup is falling apart around his mouth and it doesn't really matter.

IMG_0791 (resized).PNGIMG_0791 (resized).PNG

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Don't leave kermit.
    Here's a few suggestions to improve life on Pinside:
    A.) Follow iceman's advice in post #43
    B.) Spend more time in the pinball tech area threads. Always good to learn more about repairing/restoring machines.
    C.) Don't even open threads that you know are gonna be a whinefest.
    D.) Go to a pinball festival/expo for a weekend and hang out with pinball people that actually like pinball.
    E.) Do a pinball machine temporary trade with one of your local/regional pinball buddies, so you can spend time playing a machine that you don't know much about yet.
    F.) Call the waambulance and post a pic when necessary.
    waahmbulance (resized).jpgwaahmbulance (resized).jpg

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Don't leave kermit.

...is something he's never said to me.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

...is something he's never said to me.

To be fair, he probably has, just without the "don't" part.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Not only are there a lot of rants, but what's really getting old is when people try to start a "unique" thread that's really just part of another thread... but they want people to read their thought, so they start a new thread. Every time I see "Game XYZ - My impression" threads, that's just littering on the main page.

This should be the thought process when starting a new thread.
    1) Does this game already have a main discussion thread?
    - If yes, post there.
    (Problem solved. Main page gets saved for noteworthy topics.)

- If no, seriously check again, there are probably a dozen threads already.
    - If really, REALLY no, ok get on with it.

How many of these threads below could've been consolidated? And that's just ONE GAME.
    (And this doesn't include the topics under "All", "Code", and "Podcast" categories)

SW Capture (resized).JPGSW Capture (resized).JPG

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from PaulCoff:

Dude, WTF.... this post topic sucks. Lately, Every time I read pinside, I feel like I walked into a dirty strip club. At first it may feel great, but later just a bad idea.

Yet you're here...and posting.

Quoted from kermit24:

Yet you're here...and posting...

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sos-same-ole-st-tna-the-new-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.