(Topic ID: 56637)

resto: Sorcerer (phase II: mof: Aug. 6, 2015)

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mof
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

202207_sorcercer2 (resized).jpg
202207_sorcercer1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2953_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps4_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps8_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps6_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps5_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-red-caps-blue-posts_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps3_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps2_(resized).jpg
201601_Sorc-blue-caps_(resized).jpg
image.jpeg
sorc-dirteee.jpg
before-after.png
201307-sorc-after2.jpg
inside-cab.jpg
There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 8 years ago

Awesome video.
Be proud of that work mof.
The game looks amazing.

#152 8 years ago

Looks fantastic mof, well done. I'm itching to get my playfield back from John now! I'll be re-reading this thread several times when the time comes I'm sure, so thanks for all the detailed posts.

#153 8 years ago

If you watch the movie you see a ball escape from the ball catch for multiball. I think it's the extra clear in there that raised the bottom a little. I have a few options:

1. slow down the ascent of the ball with some clear tape on the rails (no!)
2. raise the ball catch with a shim (yes!)
3. route the clear out of the table (no!)

I'll try #2.
-mof

#154 8 years ago

Shim works. So there's a note for anyone getting a cleared Sorcerer PF -- shim the rear edge of that ball catch part with a little piece of folded matchbook cardboard, or whatever suits you. The ball will go THUNK in there instead of bouncing out.

-mof

#155 8 years ago

Noticed the drop lamps out are same column as 2x,3x,4x,5x which are now out -- I jiggled the connector, and we are good -- but I noticed it's warm to the touch. Resistance. Wondering cause. yes -- it's IDC. A bit brown and dingy looking, but not black and on fire.

A jiggle helped. lamps are back on (for now)

Still need 2 new sockets, so put in my order to Marco, which for some STRANGE reason is always 2-days from East to West coast. No idea how they do that.

-mof

#157 8 years ago

I'm going to shim the yellow rubber against the inner wall -- to try and get fewer SDTM's off slow-rolls off the A lane area.
Otherwise, the post has to go back in.

I like it there to protect against that shot -- but
I like it NOT there to punish a poorly aimed ramp shot more

-mof

#158 8 years ago

Next up:

HIGH
fix: 10k, 25k, 50k controlled lamps out (2 bad sockets)

LOW
* add zip tie to side wires
* make clear plastic for center plastic
* de-rust, wax lockdown bar
* learn where plastics are worn, and start a plan to prevent ALL wear on NEW set

SOMEDAY
* add Safety fuse for pre-1987 williams games
* install new set of plastics
* fix the hum

#159 8 years ago

I have the spinners doing 80 rotations. Insane. At 2.5k when lit, it's 200,000 points per power-slam on each spinner. Delicious.
This is exactly why I wanted to add more risk into the lower PF -- 200K deserves a lot of risk.
-mof

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Next up:
* make clear plastic for center plastic

If you decide to make more than one of the protector plastics for the center plastic I'd love to have of one as well!

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you decide to make more than one of the protector plastics for the center plastic I'd love to have of one as well!

I would make 164 for all the Sorcerer owners if I were laser cutting 'em for sure... but I'm not...

I gotta make these plastic protectors by hand. I recommend grabbing a belt sander from HF, and make a mess like I do -- it kicks white plastic powder all over your work area -- must be done outside... You'll want to make one for every center plastic you own. ( This is more a note to me than y'all -- I'll NEVER make another one in the garage again. Second note: next time, I'm doing all the ones I can at once for all my machines -- so I'm not cleaning up 10 times over a year... yikes.)

-mof

I got this one -- no idea if it's the "Best one" or not.
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html

#162 8 years ago

Hey mof, are you using the clear lexan washers on the plastics like Todd tuckey uses? He always talks about them in his videos. It seems like a good/ cheap way to protect the plastics.

#163 8 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Hey mof, are you using the clear lexan washers on the plastics like Todd tuckey uses? He always talks about them in his videos. It seems like a good/ cheap way to protect the plastics.

Yep I have quite a few of those for the sling posts. I prefer to try to match the shape of center stuff and so I grabbed the belt sander.
-mof

#164 8 years ago

There was a post awhile ago about new decals for the targets. Where did you get the your decals from mof?

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

There was a post awhile ago about new decals for the targets. Where did you get the your decals from mof?

Bought 'em 2 years ago -- not sure. A few fellas have remade them -- check the main Sorc thread for sure.
mof

#166 8 years ago

I solved the ball lock issue 100%

I bent the rear flap of that ball guard piece down so that the ball JUST grazes the ceiling of that flap as it descends. Now ALL the balls seat in there well with no bounce on a hard shot.

WIN.

-mof

#167 8 years ago

I just picked a Sorcerer up on Saturday (https://imgur.com/a/ed5N2) and this thread is giving me tons of great ideas! Starting with that purple top flipper.

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from needz:

this thread is giving me tons of great ideas!

Nice man...

-mof

#169 8 years ago

This thread is a life saver(you took better pictures of things), I'm following in your footsteps maybe a month or two behind.

#170 8 years ago

I'm seeing a TON of airballs in this game, I can easily imagine the center plastic getting rubbed by the top of all the posts in the center.

I chose to create an entire plastic to lay beneath the CPR plastic (that I haven't unveiled yet.

It is very very messy and loud to make one -- not a great use of time. Took about an hour, with 30 minutes for clean up.

One nice benefit to the clear plastic piece is it makes the overall plastic piece more bright. The clear plastic edge lights up.

-mof

201511_Sor-plastic1.jpg201511_Sor-plastic1.jpg
201511_Sor-plastic2.jpg201511_Sor-plastic2.jpg
201511_Sor-plastic3.jpg201511_Sor-plastic3.jpg
201511_Sor-plastic4.jpg201511_Sor-plastic4.jpg
201511_Sor-plastic5.jpg201511_Sor-plastic5.jpg

#171 8 years ago

I bought 10 of 7 different colored star posts to experiment.

I like the use of clear, purple, black, yellow, orange, and even some red !

Can you find all the colors?

-mof

201511_Sor-star-post-colors3.jpg201511_Sor-star-post-colors3.jpg

201511_Sor-star-post-colors2.jpg201511_Sor-star-post-colors2.jpg

201511_Sor-star-post-colors1.jpg201511_Sor-star-post-colors1.jpg

3 weeks later
#172 8 years ago

Beautiful

#173 8 years ago

Just picked one up. Am I missing something here?? Right spinner/orbit.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#174 8 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Just picked one up. Am I missing something here?? Right spinner/orbit.
image.jpeg

Same ball guide is missing in mine. Marco is sold out and haven't convinced someone here to make me one yet but I'm holding out hope! Hopefully an easy fix if someone has wire and the appropriate wire bending tools!

1 month later
#175 8 years ago

Placed an order with PBR last Thursday. I hope to have a package this Friday with some plastic goodies to experiment with.

I'm going to try and recreate some of the feeling of the backglass on the playfield.

The backglass has a LOT of blue.
The PF and plastics are completely absent of blue.

I will tinker and report back soon with opinions and pics.
-mof

#176 8 years ago

concept #1:

Caps are a "little" on the aqua side of blue, but it's a fun twist for sure.

more to come tonight...

-mof

201601_Sorc-blue-caps_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps_(resized).jpg

201601_Sorc-blue-caps2_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps2_(resized).jpg

201601_Sorc-blue-caps3_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps3_(resized).jpg

#177 8 years ago

I wanted to try red caps against blue 1-2-3-4 lanes, and what I noticed was how underwhelming blue plastics are. The blue posts don't really light up well, and the "bulb cover" plastics are too translucent in blue.

Compare these two:

-mof

201601_Sorc-red-caps-blue-posts_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-red-caps-blue-posts_(resized).jpg

201601_Sorc-blue-caps4_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps4_(resized).jpg

#178 8 years ago

So I went back to the new look, and I'm gonna stick with it for a while, and let it grow on me, I have a good feeling about it.

-mof

201601_Sorc-blue-caps5_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps5_(resized).jpg

201601_Sorc-blue-caps6_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps6_(resized).jpg

201601_Sorc-blue-caps8_(resized).jpg201601_Sorc-blue-caps8_(resized).jpg

#179 8 years ago

Mof:

I am in the middle of my restore, and chose the same pop caps and decals, but in purple. Will take a photo for you and post. I was trying to bring out more of the purple overall, and when I respray the cabinet, will lose the yellow and orange for gold and purple. I realize that may irk the purists, but I think when he's finally back together, it'll be a good look.

Xeneize

#180 8 years ago

The real blues look pretty cool-

#181 8 years ago

After the majority of red/yellow on the playfield, the one color that stands out most to me is the green of the 1-4, 2x-8x, and arrow inserts. Have you thought of trying a green pop cap?

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

After the majority of red/yellow on the playfield, the one color that stands out most to me is the green of the 1-4, 2x-8x, and arrow inserts. Have you thought of trying a green pop cap?

I haven't -- my goal was to mirror some of the blue on the BG...
-mof

#183 8 years ago

I like the blue cap!

3 weeks later
#184 8 years ago

Mof, here's a shot of what the purple caps look like. Sadly, it will be a while before I can see them lit.

IMG_2953_(resized).jpgIMG_2953_(resized).jpg

#185 8 years ago

Those look great!

6 years later
#186 1 year ago

Somehow, I apparently forgot to update pics with lightning flippers and custom made pops (to match BG artwork)
Still haven't upgraded the old plastic set, too scrrrrrrrd haha.
-mof

202207_sorcercer1 (resized).jpg202207_sorcercer1 (resized).jpg202207_sorcercer2 (resized).jpg202207_sorcercer2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-project/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.