This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230116_204927 (resized).jpg
20230107_111617 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_1088138_272671 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230705_002429007 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230705_002712900 (resized).jpg
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 months ago

I've played BTTF and it pretty much sucks. RoboCop doesn't seem to suck as much.

Your thoughts on the matter?

#2 3 months ago

Oh. This is about the pins. I thought it was about the movies. In which case I was scratching my head why "Neither suck" was not a poll option.

#3 3 months ago

I have added Goonies would suck even more to the poll.

#4 3 months ago

The deserved knock on Robocop is that it's only two shots, spinner and ramp. The standup targets are (usually) spotted by the roll over lanes, leading you to qualify multiball, meaning said standups are dangerous and pointless.

If you do get grindy with one, it will teach you ball control if nothing else, because it is a brutal game. Even if you get bored with it casually, to lock in on it and get the jackpot feels like an accomplishment.

Both are great themes, of course. Robocop (real mirrored) backglass has all the assets, at least.

Data East's cartoon playfield art leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a small collection, so I did not keep it long (see: two shots), but they are cheap and rare and I had a nice one, and data east coils are awesome, so you get your fun where you can take it. So what it might lack for in fun (more shots) it makes up for in "is a very challenging game." The ramp shot is legit cool, but you can't make it (at least on mine) off of a trap. And even if you get the right power to the ball on the fly, chaos ensues off said ramp if your aim is off.

I think I liked it more than Flash Gordon, in any case, another all-time brutal quarter eater.

PXL_20230705_002429007 (resized).jpgPXL_20230705_002429007 (resized).jpgPXL_20230705_002712900 (resized).jpgPXL_20230705_002712900 (resized).jpg

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from ParkRangerPinball:

The deserved knock on Robocop is that it's only two shots, spinner and ramp. The standup targets are (usually) spotted by the roll over lanes, leading you to qualify multiball, meaning said standups are dangerous and pointless.
If you do get grindy with one, it will teach you ball control if nothing else, because it is a brutal game. Even if you get bored with it casually, to lock in on it and get the jackpot feels like an accomplishment.
Both are great themes, of course. Robocop (real mirrored) backglass has all the assets, at least.
Data East's cartoon playfield art leaves a lot to be desired.
I have a small collection, so I did not keep it long (see: two shots), but they are cheap and rare and I had a nice one, and data east coils are awesome, so you get your fun where you can take it. So what it might lack for in fun (more shots) it makes up for in "is a very challenging game." The ramp shot is legit cool, but you can't make it (at least on mine) off of a trap. And even if you get the right power to the ball on the fly, chaos ensues off said ramp if your aim is off.
I think I liked it more than Flash Gordon, in any case, another all-time brutal quarter eater.
[quoted image][quoted image]

1) Call outs and general sound is awesome.
2) Art fits the theme, better than JP/SW/LAH.
3) I do like shooting the saucer, particularly if extra ball is active. The other shots are optional as you have noted.

The ramp shot during multiball is worth it, great game if you want a fast 5 minute workout.

#6 3 months ago

Put me in the “Robocop is a fun pin and BTTF was a blunder” camp

#7 3 months ago

Never played BTTF (I hear it sucks lol), but I have owned Robocop for over a year, and while it's not the most in depth game having only 2 shots like mentioned above, it does get chaotic and brutal if you start missing them. Fire the ball at that center bank of targets and wrong way with those Data East flippers and it comes screaming back at you real quick. Great game for learning ball control.

It's fast and challenging. I love the theme, the sound and music is awesome and while everyone shits on DE art, I think it's fine. Sure they could have gone a different direction with it, but I don't hate it.

It's one of those games I'll flip on when I have a few minutes to kill only to find myself playing "one more game". Simple, yet challenging.

#8 3 months ago

Robocop is a million times better than BTTF. I would actually consider owning a Robocop, BTTF is one of the worst games I've ever played

#9 3 months ago

What was up with DE artwork decisions at the time? The artwok on many of their titles appears to be rough concept drawings.

Why is R&B the only real artwork package from DE? TMNT isn't bad either.

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

What was up with DE artwork decisions at the time? The artwok on many of their titles appears to be rough concept drawings.
Why is R&B the only real artwork package from DE? TMNT isn't bad either.

Not to derail the BTTF vs Robocop debate, but I don't think they were ever intended to be art pieces. They pumped out new games to keep things fresh for arcades/operators to collect quarters. At the end of the day they're vending machines. I doubt they ever intended or thought that these things would be sitting in someone's living rooms like today's modern games with well thought out, and multiple art packages from the talented artists in the industry now.

#11 3 months ago

I thought this was going to be a which theme deserves a modern pin more, but turns out the answer is the same: Robocop

#12 3 months ago

RC is not nearly as clunky as BTTF. When this game first came out, the art look gave me "colored in menu at a resturaunt" vibes, and that has not improved over the years, the use of the gray paint in wide splotches is not something i'm into, but wms did this with the gray a lot as well, so DE does not get dinged for that.

#13 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I thought this was going to be a which theme deserves a modern pin more, but turns out the answer is the same: Robocop

A good Robocop pin is a dream theme for me, but so is BTTF. At least we know we're getting BTTF. I suggested Robocop for AP when people were throwing out dumb ideas like "price is right" and everyone told me I was dumb and nobody cares about Robocop anymore.

#14 3 months ago

I'd buy that for a dollar.

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

A good Robocop pin is a dream theme for me, but so is BTTF. At least we know we're getting BTTF. I suggested Robocop for AP when people were throwing out dumb ideas like "price is right" and everyone told me I was dumb and nobody cares about Robocop anymore.

Robocop would sell well.

#16 3 months ago

This thread is a result of playing Robo almost nonstop for a week since I got it and sometime last night it felt like I blew some kind of fuse.

#17 3 months ago

Robocop is fun and i would love to have one in my collection. BTTF is one of the worst games ever made. I had one in my collection for a brief while and couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It's a stinker.

#18 3 months ago

Lots of terrible movies made for great pins. BTTF is the opposite. The idiot who paid $14k for one at the Banning auction literally made the worst purchase in the history of pinball.

#19 3 months ago

Robocop is the way better pin, and would be a way better modern pin as well.

#20 3 months ago
Pinside_forum_1088138_272671 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_1088138_272671 (resized).jpg
#21 3 months ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Lots of terrible movies made for great pins. BTTF is the opposite. The idiot who paid $14k for one at the Banning auction literally made the worst purchase in the history of pinball.

Except there are those people who bought Supreme

#22 3 months ago

We were/are big fans of the 80's movie. I think the pin captures the movie feel quite well. Even though I don't recall a jump he had to do.
The call outs are great, we went to the director cut one night re-release in the summer and its amazing how many of the movie call outs there are.

I didnt find BTTF that fun. Sadly bc its another great theme.

#23 3 months ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

At the end of the day they're vending machines. I doubt they ever intended or thought that these things would be sitting in someone's living rooms

This is true. These Data East don't seem to be close to the quality B/W was pumping out, almost like they were meant to make money and be tossed. I guess that is true of all pinball, but these really show it although I got a decent enough one.

So that begs the question how many of the 1500 RoboCops actually survived?

#24 3 months ago

Fewer than 200 self-reported in a collection or on location.

#25 3 months ago

Yeah these DE's had other issues with GI and insert lighting and burnouts etc, so this RC is somewhat a survivor if it does not have scars from any of that.

I completely agree on these feeling disposable at the time, which is a shame really.

#26 3 months ago

Movie = BTTF, but robocop was pretty damn good too.

Pinball = robocop, not a bad game for the time. Ive only played one a few times and thought the layout is better than BTTF.

#27 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

This thread is a result of playing Robo almost nonstop for a week since I got it and sometime last night it felt like I blew some kind of fuse.

???

#28 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

This is true. These Data East don't seem to be close to the quality B/W was pumping out, almost like they were meant to make money and be tossed.

The alphanumeric to the first DMD (128x16) Data East games sure seem to have issues with playfield wear and cabinet planking that's for sure. As much as I hate mylar sheets on playfields, without someone putting those on, most of those era of games would be completely trashed. After that when they switched to 128x32 displays (ver3?), the playfields seemed to hold up way better, other than scoop wear and the cabs are also pretty solid, from my experience anyway.

Quoted from o-din:

So that begs the question how many of the 1500 RoboCops actually survived?

Well I know of at least 3 (including mine) here in my small province with a population of just under 1 million people.

#29 3 months ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Except there are those people who bought Supreme

I'd take Supreme all day over BTTF. The best part of Supreme is how mad it makes all the boomers. Thats worth the price of admission in itself.

#30 3 months ago

Robo-Cop kinda feels like BSD to me. It's fast and the shots feel good. Plus it has a sweet jump. It would've been nice if Boddicker was the last criminal to catch, but hey--its Data East in the 80s. Expectations aren't super high.

BTTF blows. Hit DMC a bunch of times until you have to hit DMC in order. The layout doesn't seem as clean either. A bit of a clunk fest.

#31 3 months ago

Well, besides playing it over and over to work out any bugs before I totally shop it, it can be quite addicting to keep pushing the start button. And the music and callouts just keep jamming along.

I actually started getting high score after high score, then the fuse I blew must have been in my brain.

Just had a killer breakfast burrito at Knott's, so I'm much better now and ready to do it all over again.

#32 3 months ago

bttf is one of the worst

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:Well, besides playing it over and over to work out any bugs before I totally shop it, it can be quite addicting to keep pushing the start button. And the music and callouts just keep jamming along.
I actually started getting high score after high score, then the fuse I blew must have been in my brain.
Just had a killer breakfast burrito at Knott's, so I'm much better now and ready to do it all over again.

Those organic fuses are a PITA to replace.

#34 3 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Robo-Cop kinda feels like BSD to me. It's fast and the shots feel good. Plus it has a sweet jump. It would've been nice if Boddicker was the last criminal to catch, but hey--its Data East in the 80s. Expectations aren't super high.
BTTF blows. Hit DMC a bunch of times until you have to hit DMC in order. The layout doesn't seem as clean either. A bit of a clunk fest.

I think the Robocop layout became Checkpoint, which is a one-shot pony. To be fair a lot of them were, but the code on them could have probably been tuned a bit better.

But that wasn’t just Data East. Space Station pops into my head because I owned it briefly. Awesome soundtrack and light show but I had a smaller lineup at the time and it got old quick.

#35 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh, it's just a stroke then. No big deal.

#36 3 months ago

As one of those (people) I like data east pinball games. Back to the Future: The Pinball is a sad game. I did not enjoy Robocop either. Having played every data east but King Kong. Being space and money were not part of equation i would get most of their games.

#37 3 months ago

I've been on a Data East kick lately, I wouldn't mind picking up a Robocop. BTTF though, hard pass.

#38 3 months ago

Robo cops a very fun game

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from cp1610:

As one of those (people) I like data east pinball games. Back to the Future: The Pinball is a sad game. I did not enjoy Robocop either. Having played every data east but King Kong. Being space and money were not part of equation i would get most of their games.

I too enjoy the Data East lineup. Certainly some are allot better than others, but their art style resonates with me.
On theme alone I would like to have a BTTF if space wasnt an issue..

1 week later
#41 3 months ago

Poll is now closed. RoboCop wins by a major less suckage than all contenders.

But if you ask me, that's being generous.

#42 3 months ago

im going to buy only sucky games from here on. i will have friends over and have beers and we will grow to love them and maybe give each other hand jibbers.

#43 3 months ago

Good luck finding a RoboCop.

#44 3 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Good luck finding a RoboCop.

bet i could get one within a month if i really wanted one.

#45 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

wheres crujones4life ?

Here I am brother. Sorry I'm late. I love my DE BTTF! Great for simple fast games and I get to hear the awesome soundtrack.

20230107_111617 (resized).jpg20230107_111617 (resized).jpg20230116_204927 (resized).jpg20230116_204927 (resized).jpg
#46 3 months ago

Man BTTF is a dog. Torpedo Alley...now that's a DE

#47 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Man BTTF is a dog. Torpedo Alley...now that's a DE

Don’t forget DE Tine Machine.
Love those ramps if they aren’t cracked, Pac-Man, chimes and other sound effects.
A true sleeper / underrated pin with a ton of Easter eggs.
It’s kinda like a poor man’s Big Bang Bar.

#48 3 months ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Here I am brother. Sorry I'm late. I love my DE BTTF! Great for simple fast games and I get to hear the awesome soundtrack.
[quoted image][quoted image]

you got the wrong spinner in the game

#49 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

you got the wrong spinner in the game

Already rectified the spinner situation. Old pic.

#50 3 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Torpedo Alley...now that's a DE

There was a TA next to the Robo at the auction house and I did play one there. As tempting as it was, I preferred RC so bought that one. I guess I could have had them both, but didn't see the point.

Quoted from PaulCoff:

Don’t forget DE Tine Machine.

I put a few games on that one as well, but the novelty seemed to wear off kinda quick.

Very happy with RoboCop still and love the sounds and gameplay that is stupid fun in its simplicity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Yarmouth, ME
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-vs-back-to-the-future and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.