PXL_20230615_213012281 (resized).jpg
16868472117342296101486555053423 (resized).jpg
16868464900856775119706721526606 (resized).jpg
16868462388575157472113307038242 (resized).jpg
16868459723501322809520064238289 (resized).jpg
IMG_2927 (resized).JPG
16868456225046877711529820994187 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,164 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.
#1 2 years ago

Hey everyone! I wanted to start a dedicated NinjaCamp Mod related thread for my current 3D printed mods. I figure this might be the best way for me to keep everyone updated and discuss issues, seek help, etc. I feel bad talking about my stuff in the club threads but I want to make sure I can show people what I've made in case it helps them.

I really appreciate all of the support and positive feedback so far! As I've said to a few of you, I am so excited that I created a few things which are helping people!

Speaking of mods: here are my non-commercial use 3D designs you can print yourself:
- Rick and Morty X Spacer (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4869750)
- Rick and Morty TPU Portal Protector (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4866580)

I'm happy to post most of my work to Thingiverse should you see something on my Pinside shop you wish to attempt to make yourself. Just PM me and I'll add or update the part to the best of my ability.

Pinside (resized).jpgPinside (resized).jpg
4 months later
#2 2 years ago

Hello, I live in Gilbert, SC and will be visiting Arizona Apr 4 -10. This has nothing to do with the following comments, I found it ironic that I'm from the other "Gilbert" after looking at your profile. I have a question about RUSH mod. I'm not familiar with 3d printed material. Is the RUSH scoop protector soft or hard? What happens if in 3 months the printed material chips or breaks up? Is there a warranty period? I have no problem with a $55 fix if its durable.
CJ

#3 2 years ago

Hi there. Saw your post regarding the Rush scoop mod. I'd be willing to pay something for the 3d model and use my own TPU in case I ever want to print replacements, etc. Is that going to be an option? Thanks very much.

#4 2 years ago

Hey palmettophoto and @bluecylinder! So the mod is made of a flexible material called TPU which you can 3D print. It is amazing stuff that can be bent and flexed yet always goes back to its original shape. It is also extremely strong. For example if you cut a small length off the roll I would guess it takes over 50 pounds of force to snap it...maybe more. Additionally with the Rick and Morty protector I did some "Dremel testing". I've hit the material with various high speed surfaces just to get a feel for what heavy ball roll might do to it. Basically it takes a beating. I can "sand" through it, but it isn't as easy as you would expect. Lastly this material cannot chip or splinter. It is really similar to an injected molded rubber or silicone.

I will be offering a warranty just as I've done with my other parts. Any part failure during expected use will be replaced at no charge. Damage to the underlying wood or clear coat I cannot really warranty as there is no way for me to know the quality before the part was applied. That is an area where you'll have to assume this part just does a good enough job...kind of like a cell phone case. I'm always happy to work with people on crazy situations and try to make it right.

Also palmettophoto on the Gilbert thing...hit me up! We have tons of leagues and tournaments. You can come check something out!

#5 2 years ago

I would love one of the Rush scoop protectors as well for my pro if possible. Is shipping to Canada a problem?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

I would love one of the Rush scoop protectors as well for my pro if possible. Is shipping to Canada a problem?

Nope, we'll hook up all international orders...but shipping will be adjusted. I got roasted on the international shipping with my Rick and Morty parts...I need to learn how to do that better!

#7 2 years ago

This is a repost from the Rush thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/60#post-6833224)

Hey everyone, I wanted to announce a new option to fix your scoops and protect your delicate parts...the "Rush TPU Scoop Protector" is real! Using NinjaCamp's "near-patent pending" technology we've been able to create what I believe is the ultimate fix for our scoop issues. Why is it the ultimate you ask? (I'm glad you asked) There are a couple of reasons:

1) Easy to install
2) No metal on metal
2) Excellent protection
4) Color choices!

Unlike traditional protectors, the TPU version will not cause additional wear to the ball, nor will the protector develop any ugly "wear spots" over time. Furthermore NinjaCamp's process allows for a paper thin top-side edge which improves the overall performance of the scoop. Don't believe me?? Well, first, go fuck yourself and second...just kidding about the first thing. In all seriousness, we've been testing these protectors in two locations for over three weeks with thousands of plays and zero issues! I'll also mention that the solution is aesthetically pleasing. We teamed up with Outpost Kodelia's amazing design team to produce a part so perfect that the "tuning fork" sound from the factory scoop is still in tact.

We will be selling this solution in two versions, full and partial protection. This allows for owners to decide if they wish to improve the front facing (extremely problematic) protector or both protectors using the same solution. Our engineering team has has also discovered that premium/LE versions of the game may have an additional metal bracket on the underside. We've developed this solution for both configurations, however we would prefer to know as we can slightly tweak the part to ensure a perfect fit.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the protector in "Ghost Rider Grey" and "Bastille Day Black". These should wet your appetite while we configure the store and finalize the details. Partial protection will cost $30 whereas the full protection will be $55. I highly recommend the full protection because it looks and works so awesome! Everything will be listed on Pinside (sales support these forums) and available to ship globally starting next week.

Lastly:
A little bit about NinjaCamp: NinjaCamp, entered into the mod business around the time that Rick and Morty was ending the production run. There were some problems to solve, including a very similar TPU portal protector (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1326-ninjacamp-mods/05107-rick-and-morty-tpu-portal-protector). We've had fantastic success with that part and subsequently have literally worked to patent the process of producing 3D printed TPU protectors. The quality and fit are amazing! You can read a little more about us on this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninjacamp-mods. I encourage you to post questions there or PM me directly so that we don't clog up this thread too much, but hell...it is a forum so do whatever you like .

black (resized).jpgblack (resized).jpgfullProtection (resized).jpegfullProtection (resized).jpeggrey (resized).jpeggrey (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

This is a repost from the Rush thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/60#post-6833224)
Hey everyone, I wanted to announce a new option to fix your scoops and protect your delicate parts...the "Rush TPU Scoop Protector" is real! Using NinjaCamp's "near-patent pending" technology we've been able to create what I believe is the ultimate fix for our scoop issues. Why is it the ultimate you ask? (I'm glad you asked) There are a couple of reasons:
1) Easy to install
2) No metal on metal
2) Excellent protection
4) Color choices!
Unlike traditional protectors, the TPU version will not cause additional wear to the ball, nor will the protector develop any ugly "wear spots" over time. Furthermore NinjaCamp's process allows for a paper thin top-side edge which improves the overall performance of the scoop. Don't believe me?? Well, first, go fuck yourself and second...just kidding about the first thing. In all seriousness, we've been testing these protectors in two locations for over three weeks with thousands of plays and zero issues! I'll also mention that the solution is aesthetically pleasing. We teamed up with Outpost Kodelia's amazing design team to produce a part so perfect that the "tuning fork" sound from the factory scoop is still in tact.
We will be selling this solution in two versions, full and partial protection. This allows for owners to decide if they wish to improve the front facing (extremely problematic) protector or both protectors using the same solution. Our engineering team has has also discovered that premium/LE versions of the game may have an additional metal bracket on the underside. We've developed this solution for both configurations, however we would prefer to know as we can slightly tweak .[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is the underside of my LE scoop (ignore the stray sticker in the scoop) and was wondering if I have the additional bracket you mentioned?

F67102D8-D524-48A7-B943-612272DB2F56 (resized).jpegF67102D8-D524-48A7-B943-612272DB2F56 (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

This is the underside of my LE scoop (ignore the stray sticker in the scoop) and was wondering if I have the additional bracket you mentioned?
[quoted image]

This part I highlighted in purple is the Prem/LE "plate" we are seeing. I'm not sure why it is there, but it makes sense for us to modify the protector just enough to get a better fit when the machine has it.

plate (resized).jpgplate (resized).jpg
#10 2 years ago

I think you are on to something Sir using Thermoplastic Polyurethane for scoop protection (particularly for this application), maybe even worthy of the title New World Man!

If there is a waiting list pls add me to it: 1 full-protection Rush TPU Scoop Protector in Ghost rider (great book, RIP NP) grey.

#11 2 years ago

That plate acts like a big spacer/washer for mounting the lower mech at a lower level than the side mech for ball movement purposes. Stern could have used fender washers instead, but for ease of assembly I imagine they used this instead.

9C7EB16A-1480-4FAE-B9E1-01A71227FF29 (resized).jpeg9C7EB16A-1480-4FAE-B9E1-01A71227FF29 (resized).jpeg
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

That plate acts like a big spacer/washer for mounting the lower mech at a lower level than the side mech for ball movement purposes. Stern could have used fender washers instead, but for ease of assembly I imagine they used this instead.[quoted image]

That is an awesome picture...do you mind if I use that as I explain this to people? I want to make sure everyone orders the right version and gets the best fit. Basically the front facing "tab" on our design should lay over top of that to ensure that the protector cannot be pushed upward by an ejected ball. It is unlikely, but I would prefer to sell a product that accounts for anything that we think could happen.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

That is an awesome picture...do you mind if I use that as I explain this to people? I want to make sure everyone orders the right version and gets the best fit. Basically the front facing "tab" on our design should lay over top of that to ensure that the protector cannot be pushed upward by an ejected ball. It is unlikely, but I would prefer to sell a product that accounts for anything that we think could happen.

Sure thing!!

I may have to look into some TPU filament for my Prusas as well, been dabbling mostly in PLA+ and PETG. How does the TPU print in comparison to those two?

#14 2 years ago

When/ Where can we order the scoop protectors for rush?

#15 2 years ago

Same... I sent a PM yesterday. I would like to purchase asap.

J

#16 2 years ago

I cannot say this loud enough...your interest in the TPU Scoop Protector has been amazing. Thank you all for reaching out and saying such cool things.
Sorry for going dark for a few...but I do have a day job (believe it or not). I was able to get everything listed on my Pinside store this evening. You should start seeing the lovely adds at the bottom of the page, or you can click one of the following product links to place your order. We're already behind (big surprise) but we're cranking this out rapidly. Additional shipping supplies are on the way and we're getting geared up! If you're ready to order now, rest assured it will be in your hands as soon as we can possible get it done. All orders will be filled in the order in which they are received.
Here are the product pages:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1326-ninjacamp-mods/06616-rush-tpu-scoop-protector-full-protection
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1326-ninjacamp-mods/06618-rush-tpu-scoop-protector-partial-protection
Hopefully I covered everything in those. I recorded some stupid videos today just to better illustrate what we're working with. I'm sorry I didn't have a routed piece of plywood, but trust me, the 2x4 is softer.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Sure thing!!
I may have to look into some TPU filament for my Prusas as well, been dabbling mostly in PLA+ and PETG. How does the TPU print in comparison to those two?

It is interesting. It has a bad habit of stringing or welding on to the print surface. Once you dial it in, it is awesome…but there is a learning cure.

#18 2 years ago

Ghost Rider Grey is in full production! It is easiest to make them in batches, but I wanted to show everyone the progress!

Thank you so much for all of your interest! I cannot t wait for everyone to get these!

8794420A-0842-4550-804A-56D8B0517808 (resized).jpeg8794420A-0842-4550-804A-56D8B0517808 (resized).jpeg
#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Ghost Rider Grey is in full production! It is easiest to make them in batches, but I wanted to show everyone the progress!
Thank you so much for all of your interest! I cannot t wait for everyone to get these![quoted image]

Just thinking out loud, would it be possible to install the stock Stern supplied protector over the top of this ?

Have you explored this ?

Thanks,

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from ian866:

Just thinking out loud, would it be possible to install the stock Stern supplied protector over the top of this ?
Have you explored this ?
Thanks,

I originally thought about that, but there was no way to prevent a raised lip around it. In theory you could cut the lip off of this design but it just wasn't worth it. My testing indicates that the ball can enter from any direction and it is unimpeded by the TPU.

#21 2 years ago

I'm really happy that you have brought this product to the market, I believe there is potential in making an ever better solution, by incorporating it as a sort of base layer to a Cliffy.

I'm in no way saying that what you have is not going to work. I just believe that you've opened the door to a new way of resolving an issue, to that you have to be applauded.

I'll be ordering one as soon as you start to offer a solution for the Vuk hole ( hopefully you have any eye on that ), or now if not !

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from ian866:

I'm really happy that you have brought this product to the market, I believe there is potential in making an ever better solution, by incorporating it as a sort of base layer to a Cliffy.
I'm in no way saying that what you have is not going to work. I just believe that you've opened the door to a new way of resolving an issue, to that you have to be applauded.
I'll be ordering one as soon as you start to offer a solution for the Vuk hole ( hopefully you have any eye on that ), or now if not !

Well thank you and I agree. I am confident that there are opportunities to evolve this concept for all of us.

I do have eyes on the VUK hole but I wanted to tackle the biggest problem first. As soon as my printer isn't busy cranking orders I'll start experimenting with the VUK which is basically a variation of my Rick and Morty portal protector.

#23 2 years ago

Brilliant, looking forward to watching things develop.

#24 2 years ago

First batch is out the door! My partners and I are cranking them as fast as possible while also solving the VUK issue .

6B6E8262-749E-4A04-B753-386CF4EB7656 (resized).png6B6E8262-749E-4A04-B753-386CF4EB7656 (resized).png
#25 2 years ago

Huge amount of orders going out tomorrow. This gets us much closer to catching up from the initial explosion of orders.

4BB53350-512E-4EDA-8CDC-172C34348C32 (resized).jpeg4BB53350-512E-4EDA-8CDC-172C34348C32 (resized).jpeg
#26 2 years ago

are you any closer to adding another color option ?

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

are you any closer to adding another color option ?

We’re really focused on the deluge of black and grey right now. As soon as that dust settles we could launch the VUK protector or start offering colors. The trick with colors is that the time spent ends up being more considering the material changes and cleaning. I wanted to make sure that people had an immediate fix in their hands as fast as possible. With the the two colors my partners at Outpost Kodelia and I can just pick one color each and print all day. Next step is more printers.

#28 2 years ago

Shipping soon? I ordered 10 days ago

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

Shipping soon? I ordered 10 days ago

Over 60 orders will hit the post office today.

#30 2 years ago

Hey everyone, we have a couple of updates on the Rush scoop protector:

1) "Partial protection" will be discontinued. If someone only wants to purchase the protector for the front scoop just PM me and we'll figure out a way to hook you up. We are making this change because the "full protection" option has been significantly more popular and generally people purchasing the partial are making mistakes then contacting me later.

2) We've discovered that the "blue eraser"/"double marge" solution ships without one of the black spacers that all of the other solutions ship with. This was brought to our attention by avspin who took some amazing pictures of the part and his own solution to add a small rubber as the spacer (attached). In order to combat this we've created a printable spacer which you can download here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5332649. Should your machine have this solution please let us know during the ordering process and we can ship you a spacer at no extra charge.

eraser (resized).jpgeraser (resized).jpgsolution (resized).jpgsolution (resized).jpg
#31 2 years ago

Yeah, those spacers are tricky. Lost one temporarily the first time I took that plastic off. Here's a picture with both on the posts...

RUSH-Scoop-Spacers (resized).jpgRUSH-Scoop-Spacers (resized).jpg
#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

[quoted image]

Cracks me up that people are worried about the ball hitting either side of Stern’s new blue rubber protector, but not the ball hitting the side of that scoop hood. I’m keeping my double-Marge and I will wear it proudly.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

Hey everyone, we have a couple of updates on the Rush scoop protector:
1) "Partial protection" will be discontinued. If someone only wants to purchase the protector for the front scoop just PM me and we'll figure out a way to hook you up. We are making this change because the "full protection" option has been significantly more popular and generally people purchasing the partial are making mistakes then contacting me later.
2) We've discovered that the "blue eraser"/"double marge" solution ships without one of the black spacers that all of the other solutions ship with. This was brought to our attention by avspin who took some amazing pictures of the part and his own solution to add a small rubber as the spacer (attached). In order to combat this we've created a printable spacer which you can download here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5332649. Should your machine have this solution please let us know during the ordering process and we can ship you a spacer at no extra charge. [quoted image][quoted image]

So is stern shipping just the new brace without a fresh scoop protector? My protector is thrashed and would not be flush with this marge brace.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, those spacers are tricky. Lost one temporarily the first time I took that plastic off. Here's a picture with both on the posts...[quoted image]

LOL, glad to know I wasn’t the only one to do that.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Cracks me up that people are worried about the ball hitting either side of Stern’s new blue rubber protector, but not the ball hitting the side of that scoop hood. I’m keeping my double-Marge and I will wear it proudly.

Did this quiet down the gameplay? Those metal on metal blows are cringeworthy, one thing I don’t like about this game!

#36 2 years ago

Installed today. I too lost a spacer, but found it 15 minutes later. Not sure if the washers are needed, but I had xtra here so I put them on. They have no effect on play. Great mod, easy install. Thanks!!

20220328_162509 (resized).jpg20220328_162509 (resized).jpg20220328_163105 (resized).jpg20220328_163105 (resized).jpg20220328_163111 (resized).jpg20220328_163111 (resized).jpg20220328_173538 (resized).jpg20220328_173538 (resized).jpg
#37 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Installed today. I too lost a spacer, but found it 15 minutes later. Not sure if the washers are needed, but I had xtra here so I put them on. They have no effect on play. Great mod, easy install. Thanks!!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The washers held it nice and flat around the posts. Looks good.

#38 2 years ago

Did this quiet down the gameplay? Those metal on metal blows are cringeworthy, one thing I don’t like about this game!

I think so. I’ve only played a few games without it on mine. It doesn’t really feel all that different, but having the guard there makes the lower scoop shot easier (to me). I have more trouble accidentally hitting it (and wasting a mystery award) than not hitting it.

#39 2 years ago

My game sounds like a tuning fork every time you hit the scoop. The protector did not help that.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I get it, this isn’t for everyone.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I get it, this isn’t for everyone.

Don’t get me wrong, I think your protector is great! It may be the way of the future.

#42 2 years ago

Is it possible to print an edging strip similar to this out of the same material the protector is made from ? Appreciate it would get mangled eventually, but would give the scoop edges a chance to soften ball impacts.

Screenshot 2022-03-29 at 10.27.30 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-03-29 at 10.27.30 (resized).png
#43 2 years ago
Quoted from ian866:

Is it possible to print an edging strip similar to this out of the same material the protector is made from ? Appreciate it would get mangled eventually, but would give the scoop edges a chance to soften ball impacts.
[quoted image]

I like that idea too. @aniraf, is it possible to just wrap the outer edges of the scoop connecting the bottom left/right section with the same material behind the scoop...kind of like a backstrap??? I'm pretty impressed with this material, I'm thinking this stuff can take a beating.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from ian866:

[quoted image]

It’s a great idea, not sure if it can last a long time but I would be willing to change it out after a couple hundred games. This would reduce the balls from getting all scratched up as well. The scoop on this game is a disaster and should have been left off this game.

#45 2 years ago

That wouldn’t be hard to design but you would have to do it vertically, like a large snake growing out of the print surface. I am not sure how “high” it could go with the flexible material. Also it would fight you if you tried to mold it to the edge of the scoop because the TPU loves to go back to it’s original shape.

I have a couple of ideas for scoop edge stuff that I’ve done on my home games. The hard thing right now is simply meeting existing demand of the scoop protectors. We can only print so many per day between us and the orders are flying in. We are talking about ways to scale as I would love to print more custom protectors!

I may put out a survey to determine out next part. We assumed the VUK was a good follow since it seems to be chipping on @outpostkodelia’s brand new LE with an ultra low number of plays.

#46 2 years ago

I've noticed a couple of VUK issues also, not as visible due to being out of the way but still of concern. Needs something doing in that area. Can't believe they didn't bevel it.

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from ian866:

I've noticed a couple of VUK issues also, not as visible due to being out of the way but still of concern. Needs something doing in that area. Can't believe they didn't bevel it.

Yeah, that area is going to get beat up over time, and I’d worry about the plastic above it too. I’m using felt to calm that area down on mine.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from ian866:

I agree on the VUK area as well!

The scoop edges seems more complex and perhaps more RnD effort?

#49 2 years ago

Perhaps a scoop sweater! Imagine a piece of this TPU material that goes around the backside of the front scoop and “clips” around the left and right edges with some overlap on the inner front of the scoop. I can sketch it out if you get what im thinking.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

Perhaps a scoop sweater! Imagine a piece of this TPU material that goes around the backside of the front scoop and “clips” around the left and right edges with some overlap on the inner front of the scoop. I can sketch it out if you get what im thinking.

I had considered using heat shrink as a temporary measure until something is available ( it wouldn't last long granted ), silicone edging strip is available which would also be an option, the best would be as you describe. Hopefully these guys will find an answer.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mariposa, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

6,397 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersburg, IN
$ 300.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,164 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninjacamp-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.