Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by zebpin61
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

nags - motor coupling_2 (resized).jpg
    nags - motor bracket (resized).jpg
    nags - motor spec_2 (resized).jpg
    nags - motor spec (resized).jpg
    20240228 NAGS cab inside2 (resized).jpg
    20240228 NAGS PF Underside (resized).jpg
    #1 37 days ago

Picked up a 1960 Williams NAGS machine last month that had the carousel motor replaced with a 24v motor. Can someone point me in the right direction on the original motor used?

Does anyone know if replacement motors are available (assuming it ran off 50v)?

I can't accept the way the replacement 24v motor was jury-rigged, bypassing the original circuitry with extension cord wire and wire nuts as shown in picture. Any help would be appreciated.

While I'm at it - any leads on replacement pf plastics and reproduction backglass would be fantastic! Yeah, we are dreamers...

20240228 NAGS PF Underside (resized).jpg20240228 NAGS PF Underside (resized).jpg20240228 NAGS cab inside2 (resized).jpg20240228 NAGS cab inside2 (resized).jpg
    #2 37 days ago

Might be worth calling Steve Young at pinball rescue, he does do motor repair and replacements

2 weeks later
    #3 19 days ago

Is the rotation speed correct? About 3 rpm?

Not many motors on eBay now so finding a low rev 110V replacement will be hard.
    Good luck.

#4 19 days ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Is the rotation speed correct? About 3 rpm?
    Not many motors on eBay now so finding a low rev 50 v replacement will be hard.
    Good luck.

Hi Steve, Sure enough the carousel is rotating (clockwise) at 3 rpm. My brother-in-law just bought a very nice NAGS earlier this month and his carousel motor appears original but rotates counterclockwise. The rotational difference I can live with but would so prefer to return this beauty back to the original circuits and motor (50v) design. It's running off of a 24v auxiliary transformer. Some wishes may not be meant to come true...

You had done a magnificent job restoring a NAGS some 10 years ago. Belatedly, great job!

#5 15 days ago
    Quoted from zebpin61:

Hi Steve, Sure enough the carousel is rotating (clockwise) at 3 rpm. My brother-in-law just bought a very nice NAGS earlier this month and his carousel motor appears original but rotates counterclockwise. The rotational difference I can live with but would so prefer to return this beauty back to the original circuits and motor (50v) design. It's running off of a 24v auxiliary transformer. Some wishes may not be meant to come true...
    You had done a magnificent job restoring a NAGS some 10 years ago. Belatedly, great job!

I bought a NOS motor once that was reversed. This is what I did.

The platter will rotate the right way if your brother in law can flip the coil core after drilling out the 4 brass rivets. I replace with copper 3/16” brake line tube we can get in a hardware store. You cut the tube the exact frame width measurement but you can use equivalent metric tube. You will need a press to squeeze the copper tube ends to lock in place.

If a press is not available get some long set screws and nuts and close that way.

#6 13 days ago

per the schematic the nags turntable motor was 120V

1962 parts manual says part is 14A-7737

the rest of the motors in the game are all 50V.

I think the pacific pinball museum has a nags in the warehouse ... I'll see if there's a "spec number" and manufacturer on the thing tomorrow.

#7 12 days ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

per the schematic the nags turntable motor was 120V
    1962 parts manual says part is 14A-7737
    the rest of the motors in the game are all 50V.
    I think the pacific pinball museum has a nags in the warehouse ... I'll see if there's a "spec number" and manufacturer on the thing tomorrow.

You will have to take the motor off to see any markings I believe.

#8 12 days ago

You will have to take the motor off to see any markings I believe.

yup.

as shown in below pics, you'd need to source a motor and bracket. The coupling is probably still on your existing motor.

if your motor works, I'd redo the wiring if you want it neater and try to avoid looking at it

is there another transformer in the game producing the 24V, or did someone just add a big power resistor?

nags - motor bracket (resized).jpgnags - motor bracket (resized).jpgnags - motor coupling_2 (resized).jpgnags - motor coupling_2 (resized).jpgnags - motor spec (resized).jpgnags - motor spec (resized).jpgnags - motor spec_2 (resized).jpgnags - motor spec_2 (resized).jpg
    #9 6 days ago

Steve young will be able to tell you what that spec code, (3050B), actually is.

#10 6 days ago

That’s probably spec #30503. Not sure what good that knowledge actually is unfortunately except to Steve at PBR who orders parts from the manufacture with it.

Need to look for any 110-120v motor, 3 RPM.

#11 6 days ago
    Quoted from durriti:Steve young will be able to tell you what that spec code, (3050B), actually is.

That’s probably spec #30503. Not sure what good that knowledge actually is unfortunately except to Steve at PBR who orders parts from the manufacture for it.
    Need to look for any 110-120v motor, 3 RPM.

Quoted from baldtwit:

yup.
    as shown in below pics, you'd need to source a motor and bracket. The coupling is probably still on your existing motor.
    if your motor works, I'd redo the wiring if you want it neater and try to avoid looking at it
    is there another transformer in the game producing the 24V, or did someone just add a big power resistor?
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You guys are great! I will follow-up with Steve at PBR. I'm a bit intimidated because the motor and bracket were replaced. The previous owner installed a 24v transformer for the 24v motor they installed. I want to go back to the original design. Again thanks!

#12 6 days ago

Was this the Nags that was in St. Louis area for $200?

Mike

Quoted from zebpin61:

Picked up a 1960 Williams NAGS machine last month that had the carousel motor replaced with a 24v motor.

#13 5 days ago
    Quoted from Mfox:

Was this the Nags that was in St. Louis area for $200?
    Mike

OH I WISH! Picked mine up while on vacation in Orlando, it was out of the West Palm FL area. Cost many multiples of St. Louis price. Are you serious, there was one for $200?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nags-carousel-motor-plastics-amp-backglass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.