Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 214 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by TreyBo69
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best music pins that aren’t dad rock”

• Devo 8 votes
      4%
    • Ramones 13 votes
      6%
    • Black Sabbath 23 votes
      11%
    • Daft Punk 21 votes
      10%
    • Beastie Boys 50 votes
      23%
    • Metalocalypse (dethklok) 4 votes
      2%
    • Slayer 7 votes
      3%
    • Prince 12 votes
      6%
    • Talking Heads 7 votes
      3%
    • Motörhead 12 votes
      6%
    • Judas Priest 8 votes
      4%
    • Motley Crü 14 votes
      6%
    • Misfits 8 votes
      4%
    • Tool 13 votes
      6%
    • Nine Inch Nails 11 votes
      5%
    • GWAR 6 votes
      3%

(217 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0902 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0906 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0904 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0905 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2057 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0918 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1085 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240219-181714-744.png
    IMG_0959 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0958 (resized).png
    IMG_1069 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1067 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1068 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0949 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0952 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0950 (resized).jpeg
    There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 3 months ago

Just got word that Brother Wayne Kramer…the animal, the legend has passed at 75. How about a pin about the greatest rock and roll band in the universe? The mother fuckin’ MC5!!! Here’s a bunch of “hippies” that’d kick your nuts through the ceiling and basically invented punk rock (along with label mates The Stooges and Radio Birdman (Australia). ABSOLUTE LEGENDS.

IMG_0950 (resized).jpegIMG_0950 (resized).jpegIMG_0952 (resized).jpegIMG_0952 (resized).jpeg

#152 3 months ago

cro-mags, minor threat, sex pistols, ramones. we need a punk band pinball.

#153 3 months ago

Gorillaz would be perfect.

#154 3 months ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

How about some fuzzy Cadet classics instead?

That wolf albums is so f’n good, hidden masterpiece. Crazy session players too.

#155 3 months ago

This one ain’t no slouch either…

Quoted from BeachPickle:

That wolf albums is so f’n good, hidden masterpiece. Crazy session players too.

IMG_0956 (resized).jpegIMG_0956 (resized).jpeg

#156 3 months ago

How about a CBGB pin with all the classic bands that used to play there?
    Suicide, television, blondie, talking heads, Ramones, beasties, cramps, dead boys, Richard hell, bad brains, ramones… It could have a GG Allen sculpt that eats the shit/ ball.

IMG_0909 (resized).jpegIMG_0909 (resized).jpegIMG_0910 (resized).jpegIMG_0910 (resized).jpegIMG_0911 (resized).jpegIMG_0911 (resized).jpegIMG_0912 (resized).jpegIMG_0912 (resized).jpegIMG_0913 (resized).jpegIMG_0913 (resized).jpegIMG_0914 (resized).jpegIMG_0914 (resized).jpeg
    #157 3 months ago

Plenty of great suggestions here and I could have thumbs up all of them.

But nobody's mentioned The Surf Punks yet.

#158 3 months ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Right, but for the purpose of this thread those people don’t exist haha

Yup, Gorillaz would be freakin awesome, but I just don't think the demo is ready for it yet. Remember even foo fighters had the boomer rockers all mad. We're barely able to do 90's rock themes now, I think a 2000's act is pushing it sadly.

#159 3 months ago

we are past due for a hip hop pin! hip hops been around since the 1970s and replaced rock as the dominant style in pop culture decades ago. i’d lean wutang clan but others have suggested eminem and there’s no denying his success. i believe the right hip hop pin would be a sensation on location even if the boomers on pinside wrinkle their noses.

#160 3 months ago
    Quoted from pineal:

we are past due for a hip hop pin! hip hops been around since the 1970s and replaced rock as the dominant style in pop culture decades ago. i’d lean wutang clan but others have suggested eminem and there’s no denying his success. i believe the right hip hop pin would be a sensation on location even if the boomers on pinside wrinkle their noses.

We are not past due for a hip hop pin.

#161 3 months ago

you wouldn’t have to buy or play it. telling you though, others would flock to it. lots of others.

#162 3 months ago
    Quoted from pineal:

you wouldn’t have to buy or play it. telling you though, others would flock to it. lots of others.

I think theres a good market for it too. Its almost jarring to hear people still doing the "I hate rap" thing this day and age. Its engrained itself in nearly all forms of popular music these days. It was so big and mainstream that its falling off now just as rock did as other genre's such as EDM are quickly becoming more and more popular

#163 3 months ago

Sly and the Family Stone

LTG : )

#164 3 months ago
    Unknown (resized).jpegUnknown (resized).jpeg
    #165 3 months ago

Blues Brothers would be an absolutely epic pinball theme!

#166 3 months ago

Depeche would be awesome.
    Tna really shows how suitable tech musik is for pinball

#167 3 months ago
    Quoted from pineal:

Bullshit. Otherwise it would have already been released years ago.

#168 3 months ago

Flaming Lips
    David Bowie
    Warren Zevon

Keep Pinball Weird!

#169 3 months ago

Take a cursory look at the results of this poll papí. These hips don’t lie. Also…let’s be cool in here. No one is particularly impressed that you don’t like hip hop for whatever reason, ok? Not really a thread for musical hangups. Quite the opposite.

Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

#170 3 months ago

David Bowie = Labyrinth…does it for me. Awesome game!

Quoted from EasternBloc:

Flaming Lips
    David Bowie
    Warren Zevon
    Keep Pinball Weird!

#171 3 months ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Take a cursory look at the results of this poll papí. These hips don’t lie. Also…let’s be cool in here. No one is particularly impressed that you don’t like hip hop for whatever reason, ok? Not really a thread for musical hangups. Quite the opposite.

This poll from Pinside isn’t the real world. This is a small minority of pinball enthusiasts

#172 3 months ago

I see possibly three titles here that Stern could do.

#173 3 months ago

Except the entire purpose of this thread is not what Stern, a company who wouldn’t know what “cool” was if it hit them directly in face can/will produce. The purpose of this thread is to discuss outside of the box music pins that WOULD actually be cool from any manufacturer. So…feel free to see yourself out if you’re not interested in having that discussion. Also…NOWHERE does this thread mention STERN at all. Not in the title, or in the poll or anywhere else. They are not the only game in town and I would hope and PRAY that they didn’t get ahold of the licensing for music that I actually care about. Stern ought to stay in their lane with basic bitch radio rock from the 60’s and 70’s. They can stay with the safe bet. That’s not what we’re looking for in here.

I see possibly three titles here that Stern could do.

#174 3 months ago

Speaking of music pins not done by Stern, if Spooky wants to branch out to niche music pins that aren't bad, Blue Oyster Cult would be an excellent choice. I can see it now, a big insert board in the middle in the shape of the band's logo and "Complete THE SYMBOL to start ASTRONOMY"

Blue-Oyster-Cult-Frontiers (resized).jpgBlue-Oyster-Cult-Frontiers (resized).jpg

Like Rush a lot of BOC songs (especially on the later albums) have a strong visual image to inspire LCD/pf art while also being high-energy so they actually make for good pinball music. Slower songs like Cities on Flame for main play and game over, more hard-rocking ones like Dragon Lady and The Red and The Black for modes. Lots of sweet light shows to be had. The major obstacles would be licensing around the roster changes over the band's studio career, and more importantly convincing people there are more than three Blue Oyster Cult songs.

#175 3 months ago

What about a 90's (or any decade really) pin with a best of for that era that could hold multiple licenses and be a unique IP theme yet original all the same like Foo's...then you could have way for future song additions modes what not. Too much License money$$$ ?

#176 3 months ago
    Except the entire purpose of this thread is not what Stern, a company who wouldn’t know what “cool” was if it hit them directly in face can/will produce. The purpose of this thread is to discuss outside of the box music pins that WOULD actually be cool from any manufacturer. So…feel free to see yourself out if you’re not interested in having that discussion. Also…NOWHERE does this thread mention STERN at all. Not in the title, or in the poll or anywhere else. They are not the only game in town and I would hope and PRAY that they didn’t get ahold of the licensing for music that I actually care about. Stern ought to stay in their lane with basic bitch radio rock from the 60’s and 70’s. They can stay with the safe bet. That’s not what we’re looking for in here.</blockquote

This poll is lame and overly done on Pinside. Yawn

#177 3 months ago

This thread's poll now serves as a harsh reminder that I'll never get my NIN or Pantera grail music themes as a pinball machine. Thanks a lot.

#178 3 months ago

BOC over Rush any day of the week. ‘Self tilted’ ‘Secret treatise’ and ‘tyranny and mutation’ is one of the best three album sequential runs in the history of 70’s rock. Killer band and woefully underrated. Honorable mention to the first three Scorpions records. Uli Jon roth is an animal.

Quoted from ThreeWayCombo:

Speaking of music pins not done by Stern, if Spooky wants to branch out to niche music pins that aren't bad, Blue Oyster Cult would be an excellent choice. I can see it now, a big insert board in the middle in the shape of the band's logo and "Complete THE SYMBOL to start ASTRONOMY"
    [quoted image]
    Like Rush a lot of BOC songs (especially on the later albums) have a strong visual image to inspire LCD/pf art while also being high-energy so they actually make for good pinball music. Slower songs like Cities on Flame for main play and game over, more hard-rocking ones like Dragon Lady and The Red and The Black for modes. Lots of sweet light shows to be had. The major obstacles would be licensing around the roster changes over the band's studio career, and more importantly convincing people there are more than three Blue Oyster Cult songs.

#179 3 months ago

5 votes for The Misfits and 10 votes for The Ramones. Wow. For realz Pinside?

#180 3 months ago

Andrew Bird. I'll buy five to make that happen..which would mean six might sell, so...bummer.

The Police
    Violent Femmes
    Wu Tang
    Elvis Costello (maybe British dad rock?)
    Punk mix tape (fugazi, descendants, buzzcocks, Dead Kennedys, etc)
    Another vote for talking heads - but make it straight from True Stories

#181 3 months ago

Really. True Stories? I’d be looking for 78-‘83 Talking Heads ‘more songs about building and food’. ‘Fear of music’ ‘remain in the light’ and ‘speaking in tongues’. The Brian Eno, Adrian Belew and Bernie Worrell years basically.

Quoted from Ollulanus:

Andrew Bird. I'll buy five to make that happen..which would mean six might sell, so...bummer.
    The Police
    Violent Femmes
    Wu Tang
    Elvis Costello (maybe British dad rock?)
    Punk mix tape (fugazi, descendants, buzzcocks, Dead Kennedys, etc)
    Another vote for talking heads - but make it straight from True Stories

#182 3 months ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Really. True Stories? I’d be looking for 78-‘83 Talking Heads ‘more songs about building and food’. ‘Fear of music’ ‘remain in the light’ and ‘speaking in tongues’. The Brian Eno, Adrian Belew and Bernie Worrell years basically.

just make it a "Stop Making Sense" pin and you've got the best of it all. i'll take two.

#183 3 months ago

I’d gladly take that as consolation prize haha

Quoted from mc300baud:just make it a "Stop Making Sense" pin and you've got the best of it all. i'll take two.

#184 3 months ago

Word. You’re thinking more gangsta, more west coast . I respect that. NWA, Snoop Dogg, Too Short or even Digital underground could be great themes! Here i am thinking LL Cool J and Pinplayer1967 is over there thinking MC Hammer. Well played pinPLAYA! Well played.

#185 3 months ago

Top 5 solo artist of all time, still current, plays pinball..this could be a dark theme, a fun theme or even both

#186 3 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I agree in theory, but in reality I think pinball collectors are by and large a pretty basic bro demographic. Most of them stopped listening to "cool new music" 30 years ago. Anything beyond Clint Eastwood or Feel Good Inc. would elicit a collective "what's this crap?"
    I'm sure that opinion won't go over well and some guys will pipe up to brag about their eclectic playlists. You are my people, and I salute you. But we're the exception to the rule, a vocal minority.

Which is too bad. Cracker Island slaps. Thundercat would also be a fun modern music act

#187 3 months ago

I'm most surprised that there have been no EDM / Future Bass pins. I don't have any data, but pretty sure electronic music is one of the most popular music forms in the world now. It's pervasive in video games. The closest we've had for EDM pins are the soundtracks for TNA, Tron and the dubstep in Galactic Tank Force for some god forsaken reason... While not a huge fan personally, I can totally see the appeal of a hard hitting, bass heavy, futuristic "druggy" pin, with bad ass sound system for brown note inducing bass, and face melting light shows with lasers, strobes, reactive playfield graphics and even pin2k style holograms. Imagining along the lines of Diplo, Skrillex, Dillon Francis, Deadmau5, or even better the apocalyptic dark 'n heavy vibes of Excision, Datsik, Truth.

There is so much money in that scene, with insane amounts of people paying thousands of dollars each for the experience of EDM raves, multiple times a year. (I'm guessing trust funds and tech nerds?).. It'd cost a fortune to produce, but it'd be a hit, even though the old guard would inevitably hate it.

Here are two phone recordings of live light shows from this past year. Absolutely bat shit crazy..

#188 3 months ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Imagining along the lines of Diplo, Skrillex, Dillon Francis, Deadmau5, or even better the apocalyptic dark 'n heavy vibes of Excision, Datsik, Truth.

Now you're talking!

1 week later
    #189 3 months ago

Looks like EDM killed this thread haha

#190 3 months ago

Offspring
    Bad Religion

A punk pin would be a must buy for me and being that I don’t have room for another pin I would tell the wife she needs to get rid of the treadmill, of course I would be wearing a football helmet and jock strap when I do ask,

#191 3 months ago

I think Muse would be interesting. I'd probably want Jack Danger on it

#192 3 months ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yeah we can’t end on EDM

I could see spooky doing a giallo game. There are so many epic soundtrack composers for those films, not to mention the amazing video assets that go along with them. Morricone, Goblin, all the different Pieros..

Speaking of Morricone, what about the man with no name/ dollars trilogy soundtrack? Or even a compilation of spaghetti western soundtracks and movies. Think cactus canyon, but cool kitsch instead of cheesy.
    IMG_0949 (resized).jpegIMG_0949 (resized).jpegIMG_0950 (resized).jpegIMG_0950 (resized).jpegIMG_0951 (resized).jpegIMG_0951 (resized).jpegIMG_0952 (resized).jpegIMG_0952 (resized).jpegIMG_0953 (resized).jpegIMG_0953 (resized).jpegIMG_0954 (resized).jpegIMG_0954 (resized).jpegIMG_0955 (resized).jpegIMG_0955 (resized).jpegIMG_0956 (resized).jpegIMG_0956 (resized).jpeg

#193 3 months ago

A best of Argento with a Goblin soundtrack would be mind blowing. Spooky MUST be considering this.

Quoted from BeachPickle:Yeah we can’t end on EDM
    I could see spooky doing a giallo game. There are so many epic soundtrack composers for those films, not to mention the amazing video assets that go along with them. Morricone, Goblin, all the different Piero’s..
    Speaking of Morricone, what about the man with no name/ dollars trilogy soundtrack? Or even a compilation of spaghetti western soundtracks and movies. Think cactus canyon, but cool kitsch instead of cheesy. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#194 3 months ago

why no musicals options? i think pins based on Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, or The Muppet Movie could all be great.

for bands, i'd love a Pink Floyd The Wall pin, specifically based on the movie.

i guess all mine are tied to movies. it's just so much better to build a theme off of a story. themes based just off a band's image and discography don't interest me much.

#195 3 months ago

My picks for musicals…’Cry Baby’ probably being first. Johnny Depp Traci Lords…IGGY POP!

Quoted from woodpost:

why no musicals options? i think pins based on Grease, Rocky Horror Picture Show, or The Muppet Movie could all be great.
    for bands, i'd love a Pink Floyd The Wall pin, specifically based on the movie.
    i guess all mine are tied to movies. it's just so much better to build a theme off of a story. themes based just off a band's image and discography don't interest me much.

IMG_1067 (resized).jpegIMG_1067 (resized).jpegIMG_1068 (resized).jpegIMG_1068 (resized).jpegIMG_1069 (resized).jpegIMG_1069 (resized).jpeg
    #196 3 months ago
    Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Because theres no better choice, but I guess why not hear some more boomer rock suggestions for the trillionth time

#197 3 months ago

My favorite music idea yet.. a RoCKERS game. Absolutely legendary soundtrack and movie assets / story line to build a game around.

Jacob Miller, junior murvin, tosh, Gregory isaacs, upsetters, lee Perry, bunny wailer, burning spear, Abyssinians, heptones!

The epitome of cool.

“Remove ya!” - call out when you tilt.
    IMG_0958 (resized).pngIMG_0958 (resized).png

IMG_0959 (resized).jpegIMG_0959 (resized).jpeg

#198 3 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Because theres no better choice

Yeah, atleast that actually have even the remotest chance of ever being made. I have endless ideas for cool obscure music integrations that would appeal to maybe 5 other pinball people besides myself.

#199 3 months ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Yeah, atleast that actually have even the remotest chance of ever being made. I have endless ideas for cool obscure music integrations that would appeal to maybe 5 other pinball people besides myself.

lol me too brotha, me too! I even have boomer rock suggestions I would love to see made (ZZ top please). I just keep most of them to myself because the thought of them being made is so silly lol. All I can hope for is maybe making a homebrew someday

#200 3 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

All I can hope for is maybe making a homebrew someday

I've been considering selling off a portion of my collection to fund a homebrew. I have rudimentary coding skills, have the art dialed, and love to tinker, but I just don't even know where to begin. Thought about maybe building a vpin version first? I'd need to free up some money before I'd even begin to bother the folks in the homebrew threads. I'd guess a retheme/ recode of an early SS would be an easier way to go.

There are 214 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/music-pins-that-would-actually-be-cool/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.