(Topic ID: 346280)

Manowar pinball homebrew or retheme?

By Electronmagic

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Manowar2 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 months ago

I've been kicking around trying my hand at making my own pinball machine for a while. I love Manowar, and think it would make an awesome one-off game, and most of their music is at the speed I love to play pinball. I'm not going to kid myself into thinking one of the manufacturers would ever make this title because the band just never went mainstream.

There's a ton of great art out there for the band already since they had many of their album covers done by Ken Kelly, who was more well known for doing art for some of the Kiss albums like Destroyer.

How many extra hours do most spend designing their own playfields? I'm debating whether a homebrew or a re-theme is the way to go. As far as re-themes I have 2 potential donor games - a really rough High Speed and an even rougher Blackout. I feel like the blackout might be easier to make everything work without the ramps and diverters involved like the high speed has.

I'd love to hear if anyone has recommendations for what electronics would be best for a music-themed game. I would definitely want to incorporate nice speakers and a good subwoofer into this. And is there some product on the horizon that will make this easier for average to below average computer users like me?

Thanks!

Manowar2 (resized).jpgManowar2 (resized).jpg

#3 6 months ago

Other bands play...

#4 6 months ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

Other bands play...

Manowar kills!

#6 6 months ago

Not a huge Manowar fan but my friend got the Battle Hymns album when it came out so I listened to that somewhat. I haven’t heard that album in over 40 years but I can still clearly remember the refrain to the song Manowar.

Manowar, born to live forevermore...
    The right to conquer every shore...
    Hold your ground and give no more...

#7 6 months ago

I have no help to offer regarding homebrew, I'm just here to pick a track list.

Metal Daze
    Manowar
    Warlord
    Blood of My Enemies
    Hail to England
    All Men Play on 10
    Thor (The Powerhead)
    Sign of the Hammer
    Fighting the World
    Carry On

And then my interest drops after that (fifth) album.

#8 6 months ago

Manowar's made of steel, not clay! FTW!

#9 6 months ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Metal Daze
    Manowar
    Warlord
    Blood of My Enemies
    Hail to England
    All Men Play on 10
    Thor (The Powerhead)
    Sign of the Hammer
    Fighting the World
    Carry On

Great list, but I'll have to make sure Kingdom Come is in there too!

#10 6 months ago

I've done 2 full on rethemes now, Jaws and Mad Max and currently on my third, with two more in planning.
    I want to build a home-brew from scratch but there are a few obstacles and considerations that are holding me back.

I used Fishtales and Getaway for my rethemes based on simple great rules, flow and parts availability. Also the possibility to do custom dmd imaging with pin2dmd and of course pinsound gear for all audio.
    Both games imo have turned out amazing, fun and immersive. The costs, time and effort and planning are alot, I mean alot....hundreds of hours. I'm very proud of the results.

Doing a scratch home-brew build would be alot longer and I've never been confident that the end result flow and rules wise will be great. Even the manufacturers fully resourced, get it wrong with many new games.
    Sure satisfying though from a build perspective. My biggest concern is the options out there and longevity of each. Fast, Cobra, PRoc etc. All great products and people from what I see and hear but I'm not convinced on their longevity and backup into the years ahead. Or even newer simpler systems coming out soon. For this reason I have held off for now. Learning programming and coding is also another level to take on.

I'm not a spring chicken anymore, 53, but if a project is going to take me more than 6-12months I'm honestly not interested. I'm blown away how people can wait sometimes more than a year for a game on order, and how long some manufacturers take to produce a game, just crazy imo.

To your project, if you want a seamless end result you are going to have issues with high speed and the display messaging. I would go with Blackout personally, you could have something going in a very short time frame, maybe the custom playfield art the only hold up, but a cool game with your band theme.

#11 6 months ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Metal Daze
    Manowar
    Warlord
    Blood of My Enemies
    Hail to England
    All Men Play on 10
    Thor (The Powerhead)
    Sign of the Hammer
    Fighting the World
    Carry On

What? No Pleasure Slave?

#12 6 months ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

Metal Daze
    Manowar
    Warlord
    Blood of My Enemies
    Hail to England
    All Men Play on 10
    Thor (The Powerhead)
    Sign of the Hammer
    Fighting the World
    Carry On

If you're going to include Warlord in the list then you should also include Return of the Warlord!

#13 6 months ago
    Quoted from KJS:

I've done 2 full on rethemes now, Jaws and Mad Max and currently on my third, with two more in planning.
    I want to build a home-brew from scratch but there are a few obstacles and considerations that are holding me back.
    I used Fishtales and Getaway for my rethemes based on simple great rules, flow and parts availability. Also the possibility to do custom dmd imaging with pin2dmd and of course pinsound gear for all audio.
    Both games imo have turned out amazing, fun and immersive. The costs, time and effort and planning are alot, I mean alot....hundreds of hours. I'm very proud of the results.
    Doing a scratch home-brew build would be alot longer and I've never been confident that the end result flow and rules wise will be great. Even the manufacturers fully resourced, get it wrong with many new games.
    Sure satisfying though from a build perspective. My biggest concern is the options out there and longevity of each. Fast, Cobra, PRoc etc. All great products and people from what I see and hear but I'm not convinced on their longevity and backup into the years ahead. Or even newer simpler systems coming out soon. For this reason I have held off for now. Learning programming and coding is also another level to take on.
    I'm not a spring chicken anymore, 53, but if a project is going to take me more than 6-12months I'm honestly not interested. I'm blown away how people can wait sometimes more than a year for a game on order, and how long some manufacturers take to produce a game, just crazy imo.
    To your project, if you want a seamless end result you are going to have issues with high speed and the display messaging. I would go with Blackout personally, you could have something going in a very short time frame, maybe the custom playfield art the only hold up, but a cool game with your band theme.

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning toward a re-theme. Seems like it would be so much easier.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/manowar-pinball-homebrew-or-retheme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.